HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Is this rock bottom?

View Poll Results: is this rock bottom?
yes 36 64.29%
no 20 35.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-14-2006, 03:32 PM
Handyy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcor View Post
until the "welcome to the NHL, columbus" commercials aired.
Off topic, but what were your first thoughts when you heard hockey is coming into town? I bet it was great, just out of curiosity would like to hear

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 03:51 PM
falcor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
Off topic, but what were your first thoughts when you heard hockey is coming into town? I bet it was great, just out of curiosity would like to hear
me and hubby had just really gotten into hockey and we don't live near columbus or watch the news.. so we had no idea until we saw the commercials. we both just kinda froze, smiled from ear to ear and screamed, "no ****ing way!!" i liked the stars, he rooted for philly.. we both dropped them right then and were jackets fans.

falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 04:00 PM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcor View Post
me and hubby had just really gotten into hockey and we don't live near columbus or watch the news.. so we had no idea until we saw the commercials. we both just kinda froze, smiled from ear to ear and screamed, "no ****ing way!!" i liked the stars, he rooted for philly.. we both dropped them right then and were jackets fans.
Great story!

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 04:57 PM
DougKnowsBest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
i always enjoyed the game of hockey. But as a person who enjoys regional rivalries greatly, i could not ever bring myself to root for another cities teams. You name a city, i got a reason i dont like it ( except Jyvaskyla, Finland) When they would show playoff games i would watch games and just enjoy the skill and game itself, not root for anyone. And since i had no clue who any of the players where so that made it easy. So basically i had no nhl exposure as a kid

Plus as a child i knew no one who played hockey or knew thing one about the nhl. When i pictured hockey fans in my head as a 12-13 year old, i pictured a man with a tweed hat with a race track slip and a sporting news smoking a cigar living on the east coast. Basically red Auerbach (?)

so when i first learned that cbus was getting a yeam, i was just like. "finally I have a team i can root for!". Also i was excited because cbus going to be something of a major league city

also blades of steel deserves a mention. I was pumped to have a team to use.

i think it was originally anouced 3 or 4 years before the team hit the ice i think. Anyone know for sure?

Last edited by DougKnowsBest: 12-14-2006 at 05:03 PM.
DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 07:47 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest View Post
i think it was originally anouced 3 or 4 years before the team hit the ice i think. Anyone know for sure?
Yeah, I remember when I was much younger watching the local news everynight. I forget which channel (10?) but during the sports segment they would always end it saying something like "267 days till the puck drops." I can remember when they first started. "1000 days until the puck drops." Everytime I saw it I smiled because I knew our city would finally be apart of the NHL... that and I was soooo tired of routing for the Pens. Here I am today and living in an NHL city is awesome.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote