HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Managers Address end of the year MacT

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2013, 02:29 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Actually, it's pretty obvious that Mact did think it was a simple process. Gone is the arrogant blustering about making bold moves and being impatient, as if other GMs were just going to bend over backward to help him out, or players would be clambering to choose Edmonton over 29 other teams.

It's been replaced by rhetoric reminiscent of Tambellini about not losing trades, being patient, and looking at the long game - all indicators that he suffered some rude awakenings about the realities of running this franchise over the summer.
Well here's hoping I guess.

As a Mac-T detractor, I'll take the not so subtle jab at his being ignorant at face value, that said you are acting as if Nothing was done, as if he said all that, and it's status quo with the team, it's not. The result ****ing suck and there isn't anyway around that, but to pretend like Mac-T said all of that then did nothing is rather ignorant.

Old
10-31-2013, 02:30 PM
Moose Coleman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
MacT is the one that said he was going to make big moves, not use youth as an excuse, make bold moves, change the dynamic of the team.
And proceeded to do more in one summer than Tambo did in three years. What was he supposed to do that he didn't do, exactly?

Quote:
Literally this team could finish last in the league 20 years in a row and as long as they changed the coach or the gm every second year some people would be happy and buy the line that the next one is going to lead us to the promised land.
Yeah: no. I'd like to see a GM and coach stick around for a while and have a chance to build something and not flip out over the first 15 games.

Quote:
All this team had to do coming out of the gate to get any leeway at all was to be mediocre, not stink to the tune of bottom 3 in the league
Meh. Stuff happens and it's a long season.

Old
10-31-2013, 03:01 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Well here's hoping I guess.

As a Mac-T detractor, I'll take the not so subtle jab at his being ignorant at face value, that said you are acting as if Nothing was done, as if he said all that, and it's status quo with the team, it's not. The result ****ing suck and there isn't anyway around that, but to pretend like Mac-T said all of that then did nothing is rather ignorant.
This thread was made on the premise that Mact has reneged on his offseason promises and is now sitting around doing nothing, hence my stated perspective that he's come around to the realities of being a GM in Edmonton after grandstanding about turning everything around as fast as possible.

It is not a commentary on his moves(good or bad), and I've said more than a few times in the last while that he did improve the personnel on the roster.

Old
10-31-2013, 03:06 PM
Pablo Aimar

Its easy to talk bold. Much harder to act bold.
I like that he talks down the prospect of a stupid panic trade. This season is toast anyway.

Old
10-31-2013, 03:27 PM
Horseradish

What do you want him to say??

We have a horrible record, so I'm not in a good position to make a deal where we receive full value, but god damnit I'm gonna make one anyway!

Christ. I'm confident he will make moves. He was busy all summer long. But he can't make moves in the position we're in AND expect to win them. Would some of you be happy if he traded away a guy like Jultz for Visnovsky, only to have a couple of years of a fading Vis followed by 10+ years of Jultz being a defensively responsible top-4 dman who puts up 40+ points?

Cuz I wouldn't. And if you're not arguing for an overpayment but still expect MacT to do something, what exactly do you have in mind?!

Old
10-31-2013, 03:43 PM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Hear hear

And Beerfish, maybe you should start bellyaching about the players themselves instead of this constant, non stop barrage of bullets at the GM and coach. Some of these players are just as much to blame, if not more, than MacT and Eakins. You're coming across like someone who just hates management in general, no matter who it is.
I don't think the players, or coaches really, have been put in a scenario where they can succeed.

Everything is a result of bad leadership, and a lack of accountability for their mistakes

Old
10-31-2013, 04:02 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Quote:
LOL WHO get the players? who drafts them? Who coaches them? Who creates a team dynamic.

However to make you happy I will do as you ask.

Beerfish Quote Oct 31, 2013 "This team is full of weak kneed wimps and scrubs! It's not the fault of management, the team president or the coaches!"

Gee......we are still 3rd last in the league, nothing has changed.
Thanks Beerfish. Much appreciated.

Glad to see you're coming around.

Old
10-31-2013, 04:02 PM
Sheikyerbouti

Last year we were also in the play-offs with 8 games left; this we are permanently out after a month.

How do the new bosses not get all the blame?

Old
10-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Rawg
CEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
Last year we were also in the play-offs with 8 games left; this we are permanently out after a month.

How do the new bosses not get all the blame?
We were in a playoff spot for 24 hours after a 5 game winstreak and 2 more games played then 9th.. in a shortened season. Hate seeing this brought up like it means something

Old
10-31-2013, 04:37 PM
Playa Hejda

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawg View Post
We were in a playoff spot for 24 hours after a 5 game winstreak and 2 more games played then 9th.. in a shortened season. Hate seeing this brought up like it means something
It's the high water mark of the Katz era. If that is meaningless, then.....

Old
10-31-2013, 04:44 PM
Playa Hejda

vCash: 117
Actually, I take that back. The Oilers were the 2013 Pacific Division Pre-season Champions. We ought to hold a banner raising ceremony.

Old
10-31-2013, 05:29 PM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawg View Post
development needs meaningful games, last year wasn't a write-off like this year is.

I do agree the play-off spot is just rhetoric, but we were not a total disaster

Old
10-31-2013, 06:01 PM
DeathbyCheerios

People make it seem like just because a player is available that we can get him.
We didn't get Bernier or Schneider, was that his fault? No the teams are in our division and there is no way LA or Vancouver trades them to us without major major overpayment.

He got the best players he could all things considered. This team has been a joke, we didn't have much money to work with so we couldn't really over pay for anyone. MacT was handed a train wreck and did what he could.

He got rid of Horcoff and his awful contract, and replaced him with someone younger, cheaper and does what Horcoff did but is imo a better player. He scored the best free agent defensemen who became our new captain, sure he isn't a #1 dman but he is easily top 4 and is a good guy to have around the team. He picked up Joensuu for almost nothing, grabbed a few ahl players (two of which made the team from day one). We traded Paajarvi for Perron which is a amazing upgrade. His biggest failure was Lolbarbera, but I dont think anyone expected him to be this bad.

The team started awful due to starting the year with our top LW playing center, our top two centers injured, and a goalie that was getting used to new pads and having a very rough time. Couple that with the team learning a new system and Yak being nowhere near as good as last year.

Could he have done better? Possibly if he was a more experienced GM he may know a few tricks or two to convince a guy but he didn't really make any wrong decisions.

A GM cant just come in and say, "I want 5 ferrarris and i am going to give you 10 Ford Fiestas for them!" and magically make it work.

Old
10-31-2013, 06:38 PM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyCheerios View Post
People make it seem like just because a player is available that we can get him.
We didn't get Bernier or Schneider, was that his fault? No the teams are in our division and there is no way LA or Vancouver trades them to us without major major overpayment.

He got the best players he could all things considered. This team has been a joke, we didn't have much money to work with so we couldn't really over pay for anyone. MacT was handed a train wreck and did what he could.

He got rid of Horcoff and his awful contract, and replaced him with someone younger, cheaper and does what Horcoff did but is imo a better player. He scored the best free agent defensemen who became our new captain, sure he isn't a #1 dman but he is easily top 4 and is a good guy to have around the team. He picked up Joensuu for almost nothing, grabbed a few ahl players (two of which made the team from day one). We traded Paajarvi for Perron which is a amazing upgrade. His biggest failure was Lolbarbera, but I dont think anyone expected him to be this bad.

The team started awful due to starting the year with our top LW playing center, our top two centers injured, and a goalie that was getting used to new pads and having a very rough time. Couple that with the team learning a new system and Yak being nowhere near as good as last year.

Could he have done better? Possibly if he was a more experienced GM he may know a few tricks or two to convince a guy but he didn't really make any wrong decisions.

A GM cant just come in and say, "I want 5 ferrarris and i am going to give you 10 Ford Fiestas for them!" and magically make it work.
Yup. This.

Hard to say now but it's very possible that his worst move was firing Krueger to bring in Eakins.

Krueger had them fighting a lot more competitively and had some certain tactical elements down. That said, his neutral zone, face off, and possession tactics were BEYOND bad.

Now Eakins has his fair share of strengths where Krueger was weaker, but has totally butchered areas which WERE strengths. Moral of the story? Maybe that an NHL rookie coach required more than a quarter or half season behind the bench before everything clicks.

So, to my thinking, it probably would have been better to merely stay the course with Krueger and hire a strong systems coach to back him up once one became available (Laviolette?) and liked the fit. Or even hire Eakins as his associate.

But that's neither here nor there. Point is, stay the ****ing course for at least a year. It's impossible to know what you have and what you need when you constantly change it.

Old
10-31-2013, 07:04 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
MacT totally set up all sorts of expectations with his style and comments when taking the job. Now he is being given credit for being exactly what Tambo was?
MacT accomplished more in the first six months on the job than Tamby did during his entire tenure.
If you are unwilling to recognize and admit that, it shows that you haven't been paying attention and your commentary on this site can no longer be relied upon for objectivity and sense.

Old
10-31-2013, 07:47 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
development needs meaningful games, last year wasn't a write-off like this year is.

I do agree the play-off spot is just rhetoric, but we were not a total disaster
You've lost your patience Sheikster. They're a whole 14 games into the season.

Can't be writing them off at this point.

Old
10-31-2013, 07:59 PM
Tommy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
MacT accomplished more in the first six months on the job than Tamby did during his entire tenure.
If you are unwilling to recognize and admit that, it shows that you haven't been paying attention and your commentary on this site can no longer be relied upon for objectivity and sense.
In what way exactly? Just by making moves and trades for the sake of making them so he resume indicates he was successfully pro active?
There is a very good possibility the Oilers will draft in the top 3 once again, so whatever "more" MacT has accomplshed so far in comparison to Tamby's tenure, will be irrelevant, right,? considering the present suckage circumstances.

Old
10-31-2013, 08:02 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
You honestly think this thread shows up if the Oilers win 3 in a row?
Do you honestly think the Oilers are capable defeating 3 NHL teams, consecutively? let me know when that happens.

Old
10-31-2013, 08:06 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
But it's never too early to start blaming him, right?
He set himself up for blame right off the bat when he told everybody why he was a better choice for GM than Tambellini was, insinuating at the time he had all the answers Tamby didn't and explained how he was going to fix the team then was unable to follow through. Just because Tambellini didn't make any big moves doesn't mean he wasn't trying too. It's pretty obvious there isn't much out there for a team whose only assets are either terribly undervalued or ones they don't want to give up on anyway. At least Tamby had the sense to keep his mouth shut publicly about what he was trying to do.
If you want to praise Mac T for whatever you think he's done so far then go ahead just make sure you give Tamby his props too because they look like the same guy to me so far.

Old
10-31-2013, 08:17 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Look at the teams record for gods sakes. What has MacT accomplished? Nothing at all so far. Zero. This is perhaps the worst start in franchise history.

For all the love of MacT's moves there is a litte inconvenient thing called wins and losses that get in the way.

Old
10-31-2013, 08:24 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy35 View Post
In what way exactly?
Well, that's easy. Did Tamby make even one move (besides stepping up to the mile to select first overall) that helped the team? He brought in useless player after useless player and refused to address any needs that the team had (unless you think guys like Barker, Foster, Belle and Strudwick were useful players). The MPS for Perron trade alone is beyond anything Tamby accomplished (unless you thought Penner and Cole for junk were good trades). The question is serious ... please point out one good trade or signing made by Tamby .... the best I can come up with is Ryan Jones off waivers. Or maybe Staios for a second.
Quote:
Just by making moves and trades for the sake of making them so he resume indicates he was successfully pro active?
So far I haven't seen MacT making any moves like that. If and when he does, I'll criticize them. OK?
Quote:
There is a very good possibility the Oilers will draft in the top 3 once again, so whatever "more" MacT has accomplshed so far in comparison to Tamby's tenure, will be irrelevant, right,? considering the present suckage circumstances.
This is a team that very nearly set NHL records for terrible play over the last two seasons. Like all time worst teams ever ... in the history of the NHL. Did you think Tamby's joke roster could be overhauled in less than six months? It took five years to bring the team to this level. Its gonna take at least a season to dig our way out.

I'd be willing to make an avatar bet with you that the Oilers will not be a draft lotto team this year. Care to step up?

Old
10-31-2013, 08:50 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Look at the teams record for gods sakes. What has MacT accomplished? Nothing at all so far. Zero. This is perhaps the worst start in franchise history.

For all the love of MacT's moves there is a litte inconvenient thing called wins and losses that get in the way.
Sorry, but you can't objectively look at it this way. MacT isn't coaching this team. MacT brought in the bodies, now its up to Eakins to get them to play winning hockey.

MacT's accomplishments as GM:
Traded Horcoff and upgraded him with a UFA C in Boyd Gordon
Signed UFA Dman Ference
Signed sizable UFA winger Joensuu who is well liked on HF
Re upped Nuge
Traded MPS for Perron which is a steal

The only thing I think HF can really be upset with MacT about is Laberbera and the Oilers goal tending in general. But we do have proof that he tried to trade for several goalies that were on the market, he just wasn't willing to drop his pants to get them.

Old
10-31-2013, 08:51 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Sorry, but you can't objectively look at it this way. MacT isn't coaching this team. MacT brought in the bodies, now its up to Eakins to get them to play winning hockey.
I'll field this one. "But MacT brought in Eakins!"

We all know if Dubnyk/LaBarbera played even a little better we have at least 2 or 3 more wins.

Old
10-31-2013, 09:06 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post

MacT's accomplishments as GM:
Traded Horcoff and upgraded him with a UFA C in Boyd Gordon
Signed UFA Dman Ference
Signed sizable UFA winger Joensuu who is well liked on HF
Re upped Nuge
Traded MPS for Perron which is a steal

The only thing I think HF can really be upset with MacT about is Laberbera and the Oilers goal tending in general. But we do have proof that he tried to trade for several goalies that were on the market, he just wasn't willing to drop his pants to get them.
We all know what he has done including hiring the coach on a whim that you are blaming for the poor start. At this point in time his ancilliary players are producing no better than the Tambo off seasons of belanger, eager, foster, Hordichuck, Barker etc.

Old
10-31-2013, 09:08 PM
Rawg
CEM

Quote:
We all know what he has done including hiring the coach on a whim that you are blaming for the poor start. At this point in time his ancilliary players are producing no better than the Tambo off seasons of belanger, eager, foster, Hordichuck, Barker etc.
..In 12 games Boy gordon has more goals/points then belanger did for 2 years >>

Closed Thread