HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Homer's last 3 major moves.

Old
10-31-2013, 05:25 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Homer's last 3 major moves.

After the Debacle that was JVR for Schenn, homer has put together 3 surprisingly solid moves.

1. Mason for a 3rd and leighton
2. Signs Read to below cap deal
3. Talbot for downie.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 05:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
The problem with the Mason move is having MFL on the roster to begin with.

10-31-2013, 05:38 PM
FadeToBlack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
And even three solid moves doesn't excuse what is probably going to go down as one of the worst trades in franchise history.

FadeToBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 05:39 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Are you sure it wasn't trading Bobrovsky because having a back-up make over a million dollars is some unwritten sin?

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 05:43 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
Are you sure it wasn't trading Bobrovsky because having a back-up make over a million dollars is some unwritten sin?
They're both pretty horrible.

Leighton isn't even an NHL level backup so to describe him as such is even generous in it's own right.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 05:46 PM
moosehead81

I don't consider signing Read to a home town deal a major move- Holmgren did the same with Richards and Carter and look what happened to them.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 05:48 PM
moosehead81

Mason has, so far, proved to be a good pick-up; not sure how the Downie-Talbot deal will fare; time will tell. My sense at this point is I'd rather have Downie than Talbot.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 05:52 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
I don't consider signing Read to a home town deal a major move- Holmgren did the same with Richards and Carter and look what happened to them.

But it was a surprise. I think most of assumed Read was a goner and that he would command atleast around 4 mill a year on the market.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 05:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
Every single bit of this goes back to re-signing Leighton in 2010 anyways, that was what began the whole avalanche.

That he was brought back is almost as stupefying as the 2010 signing.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 07:01 PM
StoneHands

vCash: 50
These aren't the last 3 major moves made. Giroux, Streit, Lecavalier Emery, and Couts were all signed after the Mason deal. They are all just as much of a "major move" as signing Read.

StoneHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 07:19 PM
Flyerfan4life

i still dont agree the Schenn for JVR was a problem and certainly not a debacle..

i still dont mind Schenn and i dont miss JVR.

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 07:51 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

I can argue what you mean by "in a row" and "moves" because of the offseason signings and the Giroux extension as well but regardless, I feel strongly that Holmgren has brought in the pieces to win...they just haven't meshed together for whatever reason.

I really think moving Talbot for Downie will be a mistake, especially since I'm sure it won't get Rosehill off the starting lineup sheet. Talbot was the team's best PKer, and this team is on the PK wayyyy too much as is...now they'll be on it more because of Downie, without Talbot there to help.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 07:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I can argue what you mean by "in a row" and "moves" because of the offseason signings and the Giroux extension as well but regardless, I feel strongly that Holmgren has brought in the pieces to win...they just haven't meshed together for whatever reason.

I really think moving Talbot for Downie will be a mistake, especially since I'm sure it won't get Rosehill off the starting lineup sheet. Talbot was the team's best PKer, and this team is on the PK wayyyy too much as is...now they'll be on it more because of Downie, without Talbot there to help.
Yeah I'm currently hesitant too. On paper this should be a big win.

But, Talbot has been very good defensively and on the PK so it's gonna be interesting to see what the actual impact will be.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 08:04 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Yeah I'm currently hesitant too. On paper this should be a big win.

But, Talbot has been very good defensively and on the PK so it's gonna be interesting to see what the actual impact will be.
This is where you hope a guy like Raffl can step up.

I didn't disagree with sending Laughton to juniors but he could have helped us in this area right now.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 10-31-2013 at 08:16 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 08:15 PM
SgtJoseph

Homer is a much better GM than many on here realize ! He has the balls to go with his instincts whether others like it or not. He is not perfect, and gets burned like every other GM will at times, but i admire his overall body of work and the way he represents the Philadelphia Flyers organization. Its so easy to criticize those who are in the arena from a vantage point of being someone who has no idea what its like to be in the arena and whom is not accountable for anything substantial involving the team ? Go Flyers !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 08:40 PM
Garbage Goal

Most fans will trade Talbot for Downie in a second. We have a plethora of PK capable guys and most are quality so I doubt it hurts losing Talbot and if it does it's probably more of a coaching problem. Aside from that, instead of being okay with taking so many penalties and focusing on killing them off well it might be wiser to just stop taking so many ****ing penalties for once.

Old
10-31-2013, 09:13 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Homer's downfall began the moment he signed Bryzgalov

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 09:50 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post

Talbot was far from this team's best penalty killer on forward. Giroux, Couturier, and Read all are better.

He was useful on the PK, but that was about it. I'm not losing any sleep acquiring a big upgrade in the top 9 for the loss of the fourth best penalty killing forward on the team.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 09:53 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

I think the addition of Raffl will help the PK now that Talbot is gone. You watch Raffl's game he doesn't stop moving the whole length of the ice - 200' game. Sound.

dingbathero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 10:32 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
I think the addition of Raffl will help the PK now that Talbot is gone. You watch Raffl's game he doesn't stop moving the whole length of the ice - 200' game. Sound.
He netted multiple shorties for Leksands last season as well.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 10:36 PM
Garbage Goal

For some reason I have more confidence in Raffl being able to score shorthanded goals then at ES or on the PP.

Old
10-31-2013, 10:52 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
For some reason I have more confidence in Raffl being able to score shorthanded goals then at ES or on the PP.
He is by no means a pure finisher (everyone knew that anyway though) but from watching him play for Austria in the WC's he can finish decently if in position, and can be a threat in-front of the net as well as with some shifty speed.

Scored a great redirect vs Russia (and got a nice assist) and put one gloveside in the top corner vs Latvia.

But yeh, he is not a 1st line forward!

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:34 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
He is by no means a pure finisher (everyone knew that anyway though) but from watching him play for Austria in the WC's he can finish decently if in position, and can be a threat in-front of the net as well as with some shifty speed.

Scored a great redirect vs Russia (and got a nice assist) and put one gloveside in the top corner vs Latvia.

But yeh, he is not a 1st line forward!
What I meant is that his playing style is more suited for the PK. Plays well defensively and knows how to handle the body. Beyond that, if he ever got a breakaway on a PK he is much more suited for that then an ES rush or on the PP. ES usually involves rushes against opposing D and a lot of the time establishing a cycle. Raffl isn't suited for that as he's an NHL rookie and not especially large or gifted at anything in the offensive zone. On the PP it's all about scoring skill and swift, accurate passing. He's more of a finisher then a passing player and beyond that his shot isn't anything special.

However, he has great speed and I imagine with the adrenaline coming from a PK breakaway he won't over think his opportunity like he has a chance to do at ES or on the PP. Beyond that, it's the best way to convert his defensive ability to a scoring chance and it's also the best way to abuse his speed as he can use it to create space past the players playing the PP at the blue-line. Breakaways are all about speed and that's his best offensive talent.

Old
11-01-2013, 12:19 AM
Rielly4

Toronto fan here...

Philly is probably the most talented group up front and on paper should have a good defense.. I think its mostly your team system that has you losing.Your defense needs to be more aggresive along the wall in pinching and you need better puck support from your forwards when coming into the neutral zone. Seems like any pucks that are battle worthy your D just backs up and trys to make the safe play which results in more time in your end and less in the other...

You guys should hang onto Mason like you didnt with BOB, he will eventually be a good NHL starter. Probably in the next couple seasons, hes doing alright right now.

Not sold on the Talbot trade, Downie brings energy but Talbot was a great character guy, but should bring some energy to the club..The main move i think you guys should pull is getting Eric Wellwood and Scott Laughton on this team, these guys are solid players who should be on your team. I like Bourdon and Gust also.

Rielly4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 12:25 AM
Flyersfan731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rielly4 View Post
Toronto fan here...

Philly is probably the most talented group up front and on paper should have a good defense.. I think its mostly your team system that has you losing.Your defense needs to be more aggresive along the wall in pinching and you need better puck support from your forwards when coming into the neutral zone. Seems like any pucks that are battle worthy your D just backs up and trys to make the safe play which results in more time in your end and less in the other...

You guys should hang onto Mason like you didnt with BOB, he will eventually be a good NHL starter. Probably in the next couple seasons, hes doing alright right now.

Not sold on the Talbot trade, Downie brings energy but Talbot was a great character guy, but should bring some energy to the club..The main move i think you guys should pull is getting Eric Wellwood and Scott Laughton on this team, these guys are solid players who should be on your team. I like Bourdon and Gust also.
Yea to bad Laughton can't be brought up till OHL season is over

Flyersfan731 is offline   Reply With Quote