HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2013, 04:48 PM
KlimasLoveChild

vCash: 500
Is it possible that Eakins is trying to break them down before he builds them up again in a new and improved fashion. Maybe he watched a few military training vids and thinks it will work here? haha... The losing is just a necessary by product of the process. He has been passing around a military jacket for the best player at the end of the games hasn't he? I just hope he starts building them up in a hurry cause this is getting ridiculous. I think he might be realizing he has a team of private Piles

Old
10-30-2013, 05:48 PM
moog35

Is the media ban on doughnuts and coffee still in effect?

Old
10-30-2013, 05:53 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
Is it possible that Eakins is trying to break them down before he builds them up again in a new and improved fashion. Maybe he watched a few military training vids and thinks it will work here? haha... The losing is just a necessary by product of the process. He has been passing around a military jacket for the best player at the end of the games hasn't he? I just hope he starts building them up in a hurry cause this is getting ridiculous. I think he might be realizing he has a team of private Piles
Other than playing a few guys way too much...he isn't breaking anyone down and if he thinks over-playing players is a great way to break them down before building them up...well...Im puzzled because Ive always thought icetime to be taken as the ultimate compliment I could earn from a Coach.

If J Schultz is being "punished" for poor play...by playing a lot...someone should let him know because he is getting worse by the minute.

Old
10-30-2013, 08:53 PM
Baggers

My biggest fear is that MacT pulls a Tampa Bay Buccaneers and trades all of the talent because they're not "Eakins/Schiano guys."

Old
10-30-2013, 08:56 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers View Post
My biggest fear is that MacT pulls a Tampa Bay Buccaneers and trades all of the talent because they're not "Eakins/Schiano guys."
Would that be so bad? The group we have now are not winners.

Old
10-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Baggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaDeteta View Post
Would that be so bad? The group we have now are not winners.
Yes, it would be. Tampa fans are basically at the point of lynching Schiano.

I wouldn't say that players on the team aren't winners - Hall won multiple memorial cups, Eberle was a regular for Canadian national junior teams, Ference has won the Stanley Cup,... Eakins might be a good coach, but he is not a fit for a young team. So many players are playing worse than last year, and not just the kids (Smid, Dubnyk). The only player that has upped his game is Hemsky, and he was good last year until he got injured. Someone suggested Laviolette as a replacement and I would fully back that - the team needs a veteran coach that has a strong systems approach.

Earlier in he thread, I brought up the way Savard was sacked in Chicago, and there are a lot of parallels to the Oilers current situation. At that point, the Hawks had been crap for about a decade, had selected a lot of high draft picks and had a neophyte coach. They brought in Quenneville, who had been viewed as a good, veteran system coach who hadn't had success in the playoffs and the team turned it around almost overnight.

Old
10-30-2013, 09:11 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Quote:
Is he trying to break us down in the process?

Old
10-31-2013, 01:07 AM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Other than playing a few guys way too much...he isn't breaking anyone down and if he thinks over-playing players is a great way to break them down before building them up...well...Im puzzled because Ive always thought icetime to be taken as the ultimate compliment I could earn from a Coach.

If J Schultz is being "punished" for poor play...by playing a lot...someone should let him know because he is getting worse by the minute.
Not sure I was being too serious there friend but thanks for squashing a rumor before it gets out there. Your good deed for the day has been done. Good day to you.

Old
10-31-2013, 01:22 AM
thinlizzy

Quote:
I loved that movie.

Old
10-31-2013, 06:26 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I forgot Sir Alex was almost fired back in 1990 when Man U was doing craptacular. Good thing they had patience.

Old
10-31-2013, 07:35 PM
KClovesGaming

One thing I found interesting. He's admitted that he had to go back and teach basic traditional defense which is pretty freakin sad. He assumed the players knew how to do that and while he didn't do a poll in the room, he could tell on the players' faces that they had no clue. That's a telling sign that it isn't all his fault. It sounds like the players were never taught much of anything from the previous coaches defensive wise and it would make sense, as most nights, they were outshot and out played. This year though, many games they haven't been out shot and out played, so it is working. But, since it wasn't wired into their heads about the defensive side of the puck all these years, it's going to take time.

I don't want this team playing like Colorado, where it's all run and gun or like in the past where that's what they did. Sooner or later, that is going to come back to bite you in the butt. Defense wins playoff games and defense wins championships. I'd rather this team lose, but get taught and learn the defensive side of the puck, than play run and gun with no defense and win. Because that system might work for awhile, but what type of run and gun team with no defense and gets outshot and out played many nights, has won the cup recently? Exactly.

There are things he's doing wrong, but there's a lot of things he's doing right. In the end, I do think it will pay off.

People are calling for his head and want Kreuger back. But if we all remember, 5 on 5 play was atrocious. The team's 5 on 5 play with Eakins is so much better, it's not even funny. I'd rather the team be in this situation than last year because PK ad PP can be fixed. 5 on 5 play is the most important moving forward and isn't easily fixable.

/end rant

Old
10-31-2013, 07:51 PM
Neatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
One thing I found interesting. He's admitted that he had to go back and teach basic traditional defense which is pretty freakin sad. He assumed the players knew how to do that and while he didn't do a poll in the room, he could tell on the players' faces that they had no clue. That's a telling sign that it isn't all his fault. It sounds like the players were never taught much of anything from the previous coaches defensive wise and it would make sense, as most nights, they were outshot and out played. This year though, many games they haven't been out shot and out played, so it is working. But, since it wasn't wired into their heads about the defensive side of the puck all these years, it's going to take time.

I don't want this team playing like Colorado, where it's all run and gun or like in the past where that's what they did. Sooner or later, that is going to come back to bite you in the butt. Defense wins playoff games and defense wins championships. I'd rather this team lose, but get taught and learn the defensive side of the puck, than play run and gun with no defense and win. Because that system might work for awhile, but what type of run and gun team with no defense and gets outshot and out played many nights, has won the cup recently? Exactly.

There are things he's doing wrong, but there's a lot of things he's doing right. In the end, I do think it will pay off.

People are calling for his head and want Kreuger back. But if we all remember, 5 on 5 play was atrocious. The team's 5 on 5 play with Eakins is so much better, it's not even funny. I'd rather the team be in this situation than last year because PK ad PP can be fixed. 5 on 5 play is the most important moving forward and isn't easily fixable.

/end rant
Where did Eakins state that he had to teach the players basic defence? Id like to listen to it/watch it/read it.

I also noticed that the 5on5 play looked better this year. The problem is that I then noticed that the Oilers are being scored on much more than they were previously... Appearing to be more competent while actually being worse isn't much of an achievement...

Old
10-31-2013, 08:01 PM
Dubnykov

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatman View Post
Where did Eakins state that he had to teach the players basic defence? Id like to listen to it/watch it/read it.

I also noticed that the 5on5 play looked better this year. The problem is that I then noticed that the Oilers are being scored on much more than they were previously... Appearing to be more competent while actually being worse isn't much of an achievement...
Watch his presser from today... 25 minutes of interesting stuff. @ 3:45 he starts talking about the team not knowing "traditional/basic" defense.

I don't know how to properly link NHL videos
http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocen...473126&catid=4

Old
10-31-2013, 08:31 PM
cpnfantstk

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
Is the media ban on doughnuts and coffee still in effect?

I guess Eakins wants everyone to have his starved look on their faces. Seriously the guy needs to eat a steak once in a while.

Old
10-31-2013, 08:35 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatman View Post

They're not even getting .900 goaltending. That's the biggest reason their 5on5 GA is horrendous.

Old
10-31-2013, 08:42 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:

/end rant
Its worse biggest myth in here

Old
10-31-2013, 09:00 PM
moog35

Quote:

/end rant
Sounds like hes placing the blame on the old coaching staff and throwing them under the bus. There is no way a guy like Renney who is very tactical and has coached NHL playoff games and national team games doesn't know what basic d-zone coverage is. Krueger would haveknown that to, I mean junior B coaches no that stuff

Old
10-31-2013, 09:19 PM
shoop

Quote:
When he found that out why does Steve Smith still have his job?!

Old
10-31-2013, 09:19 PM
Neatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnykov View Post
Watch his presser from today... 25 minutes of interesting stuff. @ 3:45 he starts talking about the team not knowing "traditional/basic" defense.

I don't know how to properly link NHL videos
http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocen...473126&catid=4
Thanks, looking forward to watching it. Pretty damning of a coach to say that about his team, especially since they've been playing under him for 15 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
They're not even getting .900 goaltending. That's the biggest reason their 5on5 GA is horrendous.
It definitely contributes, but I think that's also a chicken/egg thing. Sure the goaltending hasn't been good, but the system's play has been a mess too. They both have a role in it.

Old
10-31-2013, 09:20 PM
iCanada

Quote:
Sounds like hes placing the blame on the old coaching staff and throwing them under the bus. There is no way a guy like Renney who is very tactical and has coached NHL playoff games and national team games doesn't know what basic d-zone coverage is. Krueger would haveknown that to, I mean junior B coaches no that stuff
Except like five times he says in the video "our record is our record, and I am responsible for it. I am responsible to improve it."

Old
10-31-2013, 09:25 PM
moog35

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
Except like five times he says in the video "our record is our record, and I am responsible for it. I am responsible to improve it."

he also says he assumed his team knew how to play basic defense but he was wrong, I just found that to be an odd statement but maybe thats just me

Another interesting thing in the video is watching the progression of his hair, it goes from being in place at the beginning to multiple strands out of place hanging down across his forehead

Old
10-31-2013, 09:30 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Did I hear correctly? He thought the Yak / Gagner line did well against TO? God we're in trouble.

Old
10-31-2013, 10:02 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Ugh. Why couldn't he get fired in the summer so we could've hired him then.
This organization really to me has never had a vision minus Mact

STARTING with coaches:

Mact - excellent coach highly regarded; had the macblender (rewarded scrubs)

- overall new how to prepare for other teams and understand how to implement systems and apply them to play against other teams

Renny - good defensive minded coach, didnt know how to run a pp
Was probably to soft on players
Let the offensive players do there own thing

Kreuger- excellent Pk, pp, no idea how to play a team 5 on 5

Eakins - is clueless on all fronts no offence to fans of his hes an excellent motivator i think that was his strength disguised as a coach; before he got hired i thought great motivator.

For years and years i wanted a Laviolette or Quenville when they are/were available.

Thats the surface part. Here is the under the surface part. This team has to always have there own guys or guys highly regarded by other teams. Never doing there own research and building connections with outsiders

They just seem to be the type of guys who inherited a successful business opposed to someone who successfully started there own business.

What that means (ive seen first hand in my life)

A) you can tell that Lowe, buchy, ect are just those type of personas you either like them or hate them. That may have to do with the new school vs old school player. Players nowadays are privledged and pampered ; there doesnt ever seem to be a connection between player and management.Its my way or the highway (see Souray or any other player who spoke up)
On the other hand the new kids on the block get a free pass

Back in the doug weight days there was no entitlement and you had accountability.

This team will never get better till you get a coach thst can shape a team into the players he has (eakins must understand this isnt a development league; teach, motivate but dont reinvent the wheel)

All upper management is gone its time to completely get rid of Lowe, Howson, buchberger. Katz seems like a real ass - but obviously cant grt rid of him)

(Consider for a second what a real gentleman well respected guy like John davidson would do for an organization like this; bring his well knowledgable european scout thats for damn sure, but also create identity, vision, and his approach to building men)

B) the other thing is in successful business besides the connection (not disconnect) and transparency between all levels there is aldo different levrls of leader ship

Maybe your top tier is Ference, Gordon, Nick Schultz then Gagner, Hemsky, Perron, then on the bottom your hall, eberle, nuge

- how does that work have each level be responsible for eachother, and let the top guys on this ladder be there for motivation, teaching but also holding one another accountable. Until theres accountability and respect for another u never win.

It may be annecdotal or cliche to say the least but the best players will apologize and also hold themselves under high scrutiny. Thats competiveness and caring. Make a list of whos talented then right across see what level of care thry actually have.

It doesnt usually correspond

Old
10-31-2013, 10:11 PM
foshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowbyBlow View Post
This organization really to me has never had a vision minus Mact

STARTING with coaches:

Mact - excellent coach highly regarded; had the macblender (rewarded scrubs)

- overall new how to prepare for other teams and understand how to implement systems and apply them to play against other teams

Renny - good defensive minded coach, didnt know how to run a pp
Was probably to soft on players
Let the offensive players do there own thing

Kreuger- excellent Pk, pp, no idea how to play a team 5 on 5

Eakins - is clueless on all fronts no offence to fans of his hes an excellent motivator i think that was his strength disguised as a coach; before he got hired i thought great motivator.

For years and years i wanted a Laviolette or Quenville when they are/were available.

Thats the surface part. Here is the under the surface part. This team has to always have there own guys or guys highly regarded by other teams. Never doing there own research and building connections with outsiders

They just seem to be the type of guys who inherited a successful business opposed to someone who successfully started there own business.

What that means (ive seen first hand in my life)

A) you can tell that Lowe, buchy, ect are just those type of personas you either like them or hate them. That may have to do with the new school vs old school player. Players nowadays are privledged and pampered ; there doesnt ever seem to be a connection between player and management.Its my way or the highway (see Souray or any other player who spoke up)
On the other hand the new kids on the block get a free pass

Back in the doug weight days there was no entitlement and you had accountability.

This team will never get better till you get a coach thst can shape a team into the players he has (eakins must understand this isnt a development league; teach, motivate but dont reinvent the wheel)

All upper management is gone its time to completely get rid of Lowe, Howson, buchberger. Katz seems like a real ass - but obviously cant grt rid of him)

(Consider for a second what a real gentleman well respected guy like John davidson would do for an organization like this; bring his well knowledgable european scout thats for damn sure, but also create identity, vision, and his approach to building men)

B) the other thing is in successful business besides the connection (not disconnect) and transparency between all levels there is aldo different levrls of leader ship

Maybe your top tier is Ference, Gordon, Nick Schultz then Gagner, Hemsky, Perron, then on the bottom your hall, eberle, nuge

- how does that work have each level be responsible for eachother, and let the top guys on this ladder be there for motivation, teaching but also holding one another accountable. Until theres accountability and respect for another u never win.

It may be annecdotal or cliche to say the least but the best players will apologize and also hold themselves under high scrutiny. Thats competiveness and caring. Make a list of whos talented then right across see what level of care thry actually have.

It doesnt usually correspond
This.

I find it hilarious that 99% of the people on this board wanted MacT gone because he was too "defensive", tried to turn out offensive guys into "defensive guys", rewarded scrubs blah blah blah. Now people here are complaining that our offensive guys are too one dimensional, can't play defense, want to trade guys like eberle, yak for grinders and checkers. I wonder how many posters would like MacT right now coaching defense and matching lines.

Old
10-31-2013, 10:29 PM
bellagiobob

Quote:
Another interesting thing in the video is watching the progression of his hair, it goes from being in place at the beginning to multiple strands out of place hanging down across his forehead

Closed Thread