HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Downie traded to Flyers for Max Talbot

Old
10-31-2013, 10:30 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
What did he say?
He used the Downie trade to fuel his the Flyers are stuck in the 70's angle.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 10:35 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
He used the Downie trade to fuel his the Flyers are stuck in the 70's angle.
This guy could be the worst sports journalist in the nation.

10-31-2013, 10:35 PM
LegionOfDoom91

There was a few Pens writers bashing the move as well, acting as if we traded Talbot for a goon.

To be fair though one of them was Rob Rossi who most Pens fans will tell you is a moron & has no idea what the hell he's talking about.

None the less it was funny, they sounded like fans more than journalists.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 10:42 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
The That's Hockey guys on TSN said categorically that the trade was a win for Holmgren. Like most of us have said here, they noted that Talbot is a great veteran presence and hard-working PKer, but Holmgren couldn't walk away from a deal like that, one he apparently had worked on for a few weeks.

I don't think I was alone in waiting for a trade with a sense of impending doom. I'm gobsmacked that Holmgren walked away from this deal not only with decent value but with an excellent deal. I was no fan of Downie when he first was drafted and took the ice with the Flyers, and the 20-game suspension from his preseason (!) hit on McAmmond. By all accounts, he has matured since then, and he adds a scoring touch that Talbot doesn't possess.

Excellent job!

Second step is landing a high-end defensive prospect with high offensive upside without giving up the farm.
My view on the bolded play remains the same: McAmmond should keep his friggin' head up.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 10:46 PM
Winston Wolf

I'm not completely opposed to looking at Downie on the first line, but I'd really like to see him play with Schenn. He's a good enough player that I think he can adapt his game to play on the first line, but his best asset is definitely his playmaking. Schenn and him could cause some major havoc out there with some real potential to put up second line caliber points.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:08 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
What is it with Sielski and these others? Do they not realize every player who hits and fights isn't a goon? I mean you don't even need to watch the games to know Downie is more than that. I feel like until the Flyers ice a team full of nothing but Euro panises from line 1 to 4 that they will always be criticized by these know nothing beat writers for being ''stuck in the 70's''. This isn't Olympic hockey. You can't do that.
Not defending that journalist, but there's no reason a team can't win via European finesse/skill cores. The Red Wings did exactly that for most of 20 years.

There's multiple ways to build a team successfully.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
The trade is ok, just doesn't fix the team's biggest, most glaring need at general manager. Another retread. Downie's coaches since leaving here have all gone on to basically be blacklisted because no one thinks they can coach (in Joe Sacco's case, he really can't). Another clear example that the organization is out of ideas.

Another red flag is that teams don't really make trades like this when they're doing well. They don't want to disrupt the room. Especially since Roy and Sakic are big on that.

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2015

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:25 PM
ILoveStephanieBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Not defending that journalist, but there's no reason a team can't win via European finesse/skill cores. The Red Wings did exactly that for most of 20 years.

There's multiple ways to build a team successfully.
Im not against skilled players at all. You need that to win but I feel like the Flyers are unfairly criticized for having a few players who hit and fight when a majority of teams have a couple guys like that on their roster as well. Im not talking about the Jay Rosehills or Jody Shelleys either. Those players are useless and should have no roster spot. Im talking about guys like Wayne Simmonds, Scott Hartnell, Luke Schenn ect. These guys are hockey players and fairly good ones at that. I mean why doesn't the Boston media complain about the Bruins having guys like Lucic, Thornton, and Chara? They have the same kind of mindset, they've just been more successful.

ILoveStephanieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:35 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Im not against skilled players at all. You need that to win but I feel like the Flyers are unfairly criticized for having a few players who hit and fight when a majority of teams have a couple guys like that on their roster as well. Im not talking about the Jay Rosehills or Jody Shelleys either. Those players are useless and should have no roster spot. Im talking about guys like Wayne Simmonds, Scott Hartnell, Luke Schenn ect. These guys are hockey players and fairly good ones at that. I mean why doesn't the Boston media complain about the Bruins having guys like Lucic, Thornton, and Chara? They have the same kind of mindset, they've just been more successful.
The Bruins are criticized for the same exact thing and are called dirty. They just get to throw a Cup win and annual contender status into people's faces whenever that comes up.

The fact is that probably ninety percent of self-proclaimed fans or so, casual or hardcore, either don't know anything about the NHL and/or hockey or think they do and don't. Then there's just people that are flat-out *******s and trolls. So you're going to run into a lot of people like that. In my mind I'm lucky to meet one knowledgeable fan in real life.

Also, for what it's worth, we do seem to sign a useless goon every single season and usually to multi-year deals and we always seem to play them over more worthy players for some reason then we just dump them towards the end of the contract. Cote and Shelley before Rosehill and now Rosehill of course.

Old
10-31-2013, 11:41 PM
manderson528

Avs fan here. I honestly am clueless as to why the Avs FO thought this trade was acceptable, but congrats on getting Downie! I am happy however that he went to my favorite team in the east. I know he probably wont turn your team around (hope he lights a spark though), but he is such a gem of a player and is quite underrated. He became my favorite Av behind Duchene in his time here. I wish Downie and the Flyers the best this year, hope you guys can turn it around. Enjoy the hell outta Downie for us Avs fans!

manderson528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:43 PM
Garbage Goal

I like Avalanche fans. Then again I am an Avalanche fan as well so it makes sense.

Where do people get the idea that Talbot is a good center or good at face-offs? Is it because Holmgren said it when we signed him or something?

Old
11-01-2013, 12:18 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
My view on the bolded play remains the same: McAmmond should keep his friggin' head up.
My response, Larry, is "Yes, but ..."

Downie, I believe, came into the NHL with an enormous target on his head because of his AHL shenanigans - on and off the ice. He made it too easy for the hammer to fall on him with a thundering, both skates off the ice check that knocked McAmmond into the Bronze Age. And Colin Campbell took the opportunity and ran with it.

It was still a time when these hits didn't carry the weight of concussions and what we know better now. It was before the Cooke hit on Savard or Richards hitting Booth. Yes, McAmmond wasn't as wary as he should have been in circling the net, but Downie could have not made it so easy for Campbell to bring down his judgment to show he was serious about head hits.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 12:20 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
I'm not completely opposed to looking at Downie on the first line, but I'd really like to see him play with Schenn. He's a good enough player that I think he can adapt his game to play on the first line, but his best asset is definitely his playmaking. Schenn and him could cause some major havoc out there with some real potential to put up second line caliber points.
I was thinking Downie - Schenn - Simmonds as a wrecking ball of a 2nd line.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 12:37 AM
Nalens Oga
HeavenOrLasVegas

vCash: 1963
Quote:
This is the line he should be used with, not with Giroux. I got so frustrated at Downie this season seeing him constantly screw-up the chances that Duchene/ROR made especially on the PP, he's not on the same level as them creatively or Giroux. But he's an excellent guy to use on a 3rd line or a physical 2nd line.

Nalens Oga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 12:40 AM
Garbage Goal

Downie has never been a major goal scorer even when scoring and not injured. Best he's ever been is a 20 G guy really.

So Downie-Schenn-Simmonds would be fun to watch at least, in theory.

Old
11-01-2013, 12:54 AM
Sawdalite
SelectLouNolan4PFHoF

Quote:
Did anybody see Mike Sielski's latest article on the trade? My god that guy is a sad human being.
I try not to read that guy when the Flyers are involved... after his inane baiting in that Barube News conference and immediately afterwards I had no respect for him... He is more out for creating news than he is for reporting and dissecting news... He's out for making a name for himself and not out for his readers, IMO. He should stick with other sports (that I don't read about).

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 12:55 AM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Downie has never been a major goal scorer even when scoring and not injured. Best he's ever been is a 20 G guy really.

So Downie-Schenn-Simmonds would be fun to watch at least, in theory.
It is not his goals that you pay him for, or even points in general. You pay Downie for the nasty in the corners game that frees up space for the talent on the line with him. He did that with Stamkos and St. Louis in Tamp and with Duchene and O'Reilly in Denver. He also has underrated hands as a passer.

He is streaky, and his game can be exposed if you are asking him to give a really good two way game, he can be a bit too aggressive/risky and is not the best skater in the world, though is not a horrible skater either. He can take good and bad penalties, so pick and choose if that is a good or bad thing. His health will always be a concern based on the game he plays, but you do not want him to change a thing about it or he loses most of his value as a player.

Philly got better with this trade, not because of Downie, but because of what he will do almost certainly for Giroux. If he is not on a line with Giroux from day one, a big mistake has been made by the coaching staff.

Talbot is something the Avs needed...and maybe they can afford to give up Downie to bring that in, but time will tell.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 12:58 AM
Sawdalite
SelectLouNolan4PFHoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
He wore 9 with Tampa Bay, switched back to 27 with Colorado, and then changed it to 17.
I've seen in in a #27 Bolts Uniform.

EDIT: Check that... I now see him in #9 there and maybe what I saw was #27 with the Avs and confused it as when with the Bolts.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 11-01-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 01:04 AM
Totally Radivojevic

Can anyone make out what Downie said in the following quote during his conference call (link on Flyers website):

"It was funny, when they told me they traded me to Philly I _____"

Can't make out what he says there.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 01:06 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
agreed. As nodlesque as Raffl is at least he is a tremendous skater and one of our fastest.
Rafflcopter > noodles

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 01:09 AM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Radivojevic View Post
Can anyone make out what Downie said in the following quote during his conference call (link on Flyers website):

"It was funny, when they told me they traded me to Philly I _____"

Can't make out what he says there.
I think he said 'smiled'. But that is going completely by memory.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 01:16 AM
Totally Radivojevic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
I think he said 'smiled'. But that is going completely by memory.
Ah, that fits. Thanks.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 01:18 AM
Garbage Goal

One thing I don't like about this is that it's another scorer we have that isn't a good two-way player. We have way too many players like that.

Old
11-01-2013, 01:39 AM
kolankosf

Quote:
There was a few Pens writers bashing the move as well, acting as if we traded Talbot for a goon.

To be fair though one of them was Rob Rossi who most Pens fans will tell you is a moron & has no idea what the hell he's talking about.

None the less it was funny, they sounded like fans more than journalists.
It's funny when rival fans get scared, isn't it? If I was PIT, I'd be very worried about a line of Steve-Schenn-Simmer or Rinaldo-Hall-Downie being rolled out against Crosby's or Malkin's line.

kolankosf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 01:43 AM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
That line might be one of the worst defensive lines in the league, but if the team is going to suck, they might as well be entertaining to watch!

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote