HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

FA Signings, Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IX:

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-01-2013, 06:25 AM
  #101
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Yup, and if you look at the Sabres, they had to retain some of Vanek's ticket to trade him. I imagine a similar scenario with Hemsky.

Hemsky and a 4th rounder somewhere for a 2nd rounder and mediocre forward/ prospect. Jim O'Brien?

Oilers retain 1.5M of Hemsky's remaining salary. They still clear about 2.25M assuming he is just replaced by a scrub in the lineup - that's smart money management. They'd be wise to arrange a similar move with N. Schultz to move his contract out and maybe save 1.5M and call up Fedun or Klefbom. Why bother waiting until the deadline?

I bet Ottawa would be interested in this sort of a trade for Hemsky.
Why would they do it now? And what's in it for us? The Vanek trade was notable for its rarity and the fact it saw two UFAs changing hands. It also was more about the draft picks for the rebuilding Sabres. We don't need picks.

Moose Coleman is online now  
Old
11-01-2013, 07:11 AM
  #102
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,702
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
Sorry-- Hemsky is not a game changing trade

game changer trade is Nuge, Gagner, Schultz, Yakupov, or Eberle is moved
I am not saying he is, I'm doubting that they go the route you are suggesting. I think they trade Hemsky strictly on a salary dump type of move.

Tedi is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 07:15 AM
  #103
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,702
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Why would they do it now? And what's in it for us? The Vanek trade was notable for its rarity and the fact it saw two UFAs changing hands. It also was more about the draft picks for the rebuilding Sabres. We don't need picks.
True but I can't see us keeping Hemsky after this year. And the best way to eliminate salary is to trade for picks. However you are right that we don't need the picks.

Tedi is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 08:21 AM
  #104
ncredible
Registered User
 
ncredible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fort McMurray
Country: Canada
Posts: 478
vCash: 500
We need to get a Marcus Foligno and a Wayne Simmons.

ncredible is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 09:10 AM
  #105
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,177
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncredible View Post
We need to get a Marcus Foligno and a Wayne Simmons.
Indeed maybe they can flip Yak+ for him, but you know he's got the bigness.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now  
Old
11-01-2013, 09:26 AM
  #106
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,360
vCash: 500
I like Eberle but if we can get Letang back, you do it.

DousedInOil is online now  
Old
11-01-2013, 09:38 AM
  #107
Matt19Oilers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Any interest in a trade based around Eberle for Yandle? Or should/could we be shooting for someone better if we're trading Eberle? And would Phoenix even be willing to trade Yandle without getting a decent D-man in return?

Matt19Oilers is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 09:48 AM
  #108
djdub
#6cups
 
djdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 637
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19Oilers View Post
Any interest in a trade based around Eberle for Yandle? Or should/could we be shooting for someone better if we're trading Eberle? And would Phoenix even be willing to trade Yandle without getting a decent D-man in return?
I think if the Oil are looking at trading away one of the young guns, it has to be Yakupov. Why trade Eberle when it could make Hall and RNH resentful? They seem like good buds, committed to being Oilers together. Yakupov seems like the odd man out when watching them interact.

Trading Yak probably wouldn't cause any problems within the team. He also holds a lot of value, despite what people on HF might say.

If I was MacT, I would look at trying to do Yak for Myers+ or Yak for Seth Jones straight across.

djdub is online now  
Old
11-01-2013, 09:58 AM
  #109
OilerFan4Life
Registered User
 
OilerFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,595
vCash: 500
Yandle can't play a lick of defense.

He's a more mature Schultz at this point.

OilerFan4Life is online now  
Old
11-01-2013, 10:01 AM
  #110
Matt19Oilers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdub View Post
I think if the Oil are looking at trading away one of the young guns, it has to be Yakupov. Why trade Eberle when it could make Hall and RNH resentful? They seem like good buds, committed to being Oilers together. Yakupov seems like the odd man out when watching them interact.

Trading Yak probably wouldn't cause any problems within the team. He also holds a lot of value, despite what people on HF might say.

If I was MacT, I would look at trying to do Yak for Myers+ or Yak for Seth Jones straight across.
I think Hall or RNH would be a lot more resentful about more years of losing than about trading away Eberle. It's Eberle for me because 1) i think Yakupov is going to be a better player and 2) more importantly: how can we get a good return for Yakupov when his cap-hit is less than $1million? We can't get a 5-6 million per year d-man and fit under the cap by trading Yakupov, but getting rid of Eberle's 6million per year ticket we can. I'd also want someone that we know has their game together, Myers is too big of a risk for me.

Bogosian, Yandle and Girardi (after he's been extended by the NYR) are more the types of players i'd be looking for.

Matt19Oilers is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 10:05 AM
  #111
Conkanen*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19Oilers View Post
I think Hall or RNH would be a lot more resentful about more years of losing than about trading away Eberle. It's Eberle for me because 1) i think Yakupov is going to be a better player and 2) more importantly: how can we get a good return for Yakupov when his cap-hit is less than $1million? We can't get a 5-6 million per year d-man and fit under the cap by trading Yakupov, but getting rid of Eberle's 6million per year ticket we can. I'd also want someone that we know has their game together, Myers is too big of a risk for me.

Bogosian, Yandle and Girardi (after he's been extended by the NYR) are more the types of players i'd be looking for.
What is it about Bogosian intrigues you? He is barely playing like a Top 4.

Conkanen* is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 10:09 AM
  #112
AVE MAN
Registered User
 
AVE MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,176
vCash: 500
If you trade away one of the young guns it has to be Yakupov - due to the KHL threat alone. I still think Yak turn into a 35-40 goal scorer so he have to make sure the return is decent.
The return for me has to include someone big and nasty. Yandle and Letang, as good as they are, still makes us the same team, small, talented and soft.
I'd be looking for more of a Simmonds - B. Schenn return, then trade Gagner for a dman.
How does this trade look?:
Gagner, Yak for Simmonds, B.Schenn and Coburn

Philly gets more scoring punch, Oilers get bigger and tougher.

AVE MAN is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 10:11 AM
  #113
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN View Post
If you trade away one of the young guns it has to be Yakupov - due to the KHL threat alone.
There's no KHL threat.

Moose Coleman is online now  
Old
11-01-2013, 10:19 AM
  #114
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,472
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
There's no KHL threat.
It's amazing how people keep claiming that... How difficult is it to actually inform oneself?

__________________
"The Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it" - dnicks17
The Nuge is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 10:22 AM
  #115
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!
 
Fixed to Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 5,962
vCash: 50
I just saw that G - Petr Mrazek got called up by the Red Wings. I hope he starts for the Wings on Saturday. I've been pumping this guy's tires for years now and hopefully he can show all of you how good he can be.

He's the type of guy the Oilers should be going for to sure up the goaltending position. A guy who is on the cusp of being great and not on the cusp of being average.

Fixed to Ruin is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 10:24 AM
  #116
dyzfunctioned
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
Why are you neglecting to say we also would get Tyutin and Dubinsky in the deal I proposed? Tyutin could be our #1 until Nurse steps up and Dubinsky is an absolute warrior. Tell me what team looks better, please.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Hemsky
Joensuu-Gordon-Yakupov
Gazdic-Arcobello-Eager

Smid-Petry
Ference-J.Schultz
N.Schultz-Belov

or

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
Dubinsky-Gagner-Yakupov
Perron-Gordon-Foligno
Joensuu-Arcobello-Eager

Tyutin-Petry
Ference-J.Schultz
N.Schultz-Belov

The only way you could possibly not prefer the second team is if you've never seen Tyutin, Dubinsky, and Foligno play. Our team is light years better after this deal.
You seem to like to play people out of position... Foligno has almost always played LW, Gaborik has almost always played RW. They prefer to play there. Gaborik spent some time at LW with New York and CBJ experimented with it as well. And in those lineups you propose, our first line gets worse, our second line is basically status quo, if not worse, while our 3rd line is a marginal improvement and our 4th line improves greatly, but who cares, it's our 4th line.

dyzfunctioned is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 10:41 AM
  #117
AVE MAN
Registered User
 
AVE MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
There's no KHL threat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
It's amazing how people keep claiming that... How difficult is it to actually inform oneself?
Ya, Im sure Larionov and Pulver won't bring up KHL in Yaks next contract negotiation. Lets see what happens if Mact tries to give him anything less than Nuge or Halls contract.
Regardless, whether you think KHL is a legitimate threat or not, I still believe if you're going to trade one of the Fab 5. Yakupov is probably the one as long as the return is Size in your top 6 - ie Simmonds - B.Schenn.

AVE MAN is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 10:45 AM
  #118
PumpkinBomb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Some Oiler fans in late February: RESIGN SMID IMMEDIATELY, HE CANT GO!!!
Some Oiler fans now: Trade him, he's regressing.

This is why HF Oil doesn't manage the Oilers.
He isn't regressing, we've just learned that he can't play 25 minutes a night, and that's what we need the most.

Smid at 20 minutes a night is an absolute beast.

Similarly, we saw that with Steve Staios. When he was playing over 20 min a night he was the worst D i've ever seen. At 18 minutes a night, he was one of the best #5 D in the league.

Same situation with Matt Greene in LA. at 17 min Ave TOI/Game he's pretty great. Any more than 20 min and he can't do it.

PumpkinBomb is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 10:46 AM
  #119
Oilfan2
Oil the way..
 
Oilfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,276
vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
Why are you neglecting to say we also would get Tyutin and Dubinsky in the deal I proposed? Tyutin could be our #1 until Nurse steps up and Dubinsky is an absolute warrior. Tell me what team looks better, please.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Hemsky
Joensuu-Gordon-Yakupov
Gazdic-Arcobello-Eager

Smid-Petry
Ference-J.Schultz
N.Schultz-Belov

or

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
Dubinsky-Gagner-Yakupov
Perron-Gordon-Foligno
Joensuu-Arcobello-Eager

Tyutin-Petry
Ference-J.Schultz
N.Schultz-Belov

The only way you could possibly not prefer the second team is if you've never seen Tyutin, Dubinsky, and Foligno play. Our team is light years better after this deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
You seem to like to play people out of position... Foligno has almost always played LW, Gaborik has almost always played RW. They prefer to play there. Gaborik spent some time at LW with New York and CBJ experimented with it as well. And in those lineups you propose, our first line gets worse, our second line is basically status quo, if not worse, while our 3rd line is a marginal improvement and our 4th line improves greatly, but who cares, it's our 4th line.
Not that I'm advocating for this type of trade/lineup, etc, but I think the personnel and lines would look better if:

Hall-RNH-Yakupov
Dubinsky-Gagner-Perron
Foligno-Gordon-Hemsky
Joensuu-Arcobello-Pitlick (not an Eager fan)

Tyutin-Petry
Ference-J.Schultz
N.Schultz-Belov

Oilfan2 is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 11:09 AM
  #120
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
Sorry-- Hemsky is not a game changing trade

game changer trade is Nuge, Gagner, Schultz, Yakupov, or Eberle is moved
There's a difference between a game changer trade and a franchise crippling trade.

Trafalgar Law is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 11:12 AM
  #121
shogun99
Registered User
 
shogun99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
There's no KHL threat.
Belanger was a bigger KHL threat then Yakupov ever will be. You don't move your entire family over to NA if you're planning to play hockey in Siberia.

shogun99 is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 11:55 AM
  #122
OilerFan4Life
Registered User
 
OilerFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,595
vCash: 500
The actualy "game changing" trade would be to deal Klefbom.

He's highly regarded around the league and we wouldn't be removing a piece off the active roster.

Yes he has incredible upside and may end up being as good as Brodin when he comes up later this year or next season, but as Stauffer mentions all the time we're loaded with left shot d-men. You have to figure out of Nurse, Gernat, Marincin, and Musil we'll have 2 NHL players within 3 seasons.

As much as I like Klefbom and what he could bring, if we can get a CURRENTLY good d-man for him, I pull the trigger.

Enough of riding on potential and what a player "may" do....time to get a player who "can" do.

OilerFan4Life is online now  
Old
11-01-2013, 11:55 AM
  #123
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
There's no KHL threat.
Based on what?

SeriousBusiness is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 11:59 AM
  #124
yukoner88
Registered User
 
yukoner88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dawson City, YT
Posts: 2,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
True but I can't see us keeping Hemsky after this year. And the best way to eliminate salary is to trade for picks. However you are right that we don't need the picks.
If we do acquire picks for him at the deadline or before, they could be bundled in some sort of deal with a another team at the draft

yukoner88 is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 12:07 PM
  #125
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN View Post
Ya, Im sure Larionov and Pulver won't bring up KHL in Yaks next contract negotiation. Lets see what happens if Mact tries to give him anything less than Nuge or Halls contract.
Seems a bit early to worry about this but ok.

Quote:
Regardless, whether you think KHL is a legitimate threat or not, I still believe if you're going to trade one of the Fab 5. Yakupov is probably the one as long as the return is Size in your top 6 - ie Simmonds - B.Schenn
Yak may not have yet established himself as a bona fide scoring threat, but there's a good possibility he'll be better than both those guys put together. Simmonds' production is heavily dependent on prime PP time, he doesn't kill penalties, he's simply not a difference maker. Schenn is pretty much the same size as Yak, two years older and has yet to establish himself as much of anything at all.

Moose Coleman is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.