HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

10-31-13:Preds @ Yotes - "The if we only knew how to get more events in here edition"

Old
11-01-2013, 12:16 AM
braindead

vCash: 500
This is all on hutton (or poile for failing to secure a low risk backup to offset the risk of rinne returning from major surgery). That first goal was one of the 20 worst ever given up by a predators goalie. Ever. It changed the game completely, giving them life and shaking our confidence in our goalie. 3 of those 4 were stoppable. Any other complaints are secondary causes. This is on Hutton.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 12:16 AM
RomanEmpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
That was a hell of a shot that simply beat Hutton. They do occur. It's one thing to blindly shoot from outside ... another to move the puck from the goalie's right to left, feeding a d-man who knows how to score, then leave him alone with time and space to pick his shot.

This..no way do I blame Hutton for that. I blame the other 5 guys who were all puck watching standing within arms length of each other..no where close to that side of the ice.

RomanEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 12:19 AM
PFL615

Well, after Saturday and losing with a 3 goal lead tonight we have hit rock bottom.. Rock *** bottom.
This week has left a bad taste.. Embarrassing to say the least.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 12:20 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Quote:
That was a hell of a shot that simply beat Hutton. They do occur. It's one thing to blindly shoot from outside ... another to move the puck from the goalie's right to left, feeding a d-man who knows how to score, then leave him alone with time and space to pick his shot.
the problem is good NHL goalies bail their teams out of the situations that happened tonight.

its their job to clean up the messes their teammates make in front of them.

if every goalie let in a goal every time a play broke down in front of him, the average GAA would be about 7.00

all he has to do is make one save on any of the questionable ones and we win... but he didn't, and we didn't...

any night we score 4 goals HAS to get us two points... Rinne would have won tonights game... Dan Ellis or Anders Lindback probably would have won tonights game...

I'll take Bryzgalov for 1 million, Alex...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 12:22 AM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Stalberg just has terrible vision / hockey IQ. He did on CHI and he still does here.
I think I'm beginning to see why he wanted to come here; NOBODY ELSE OFFERED HIM ANYTHING.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 12:30 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Well, after Saturday and losing with a 3 goal lead tonight we have hit rock bottom.. Rock *** bottom.
Seriously? Pretty good life of fandom if this is the worst it gets.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 12:33 AM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Rock bottom? I'm sorry, but are you ****ing serious?

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 01:06 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
If we lose, I will not be able to sleep tonight. Please win.
Would you like some Ambien?

EDIT: Rock bottom would be losing seven in a row in regulation.

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 01:21 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Hated not being able to be there tonight, and hate that we only play in PHX once each season!

Also, having to listen to Tyson Nash commentate for the 'Yotes is punishment enough. I'M AT ROCK BOTTOM!

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 01:28 AM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

This game was uglier than Saturday night ...
1st - had a 3 goal lead - we blew it
2nd - we don't have NHL caliber goaltending right now (give Magnus a chance)
3rd - we don't have a game changing sniper
4th - we play Hendricks, he scores and the team still loses

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 02:23 AM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

I'm just as surprised as you are guys. You outplayed us like crazy tonight. Don't be too hard on yourselves, hard to stay competitive with your starting goalie out with hip issues. Bright side, Seth Jones looks awesome. Wanted to see Forsberg but that was a wash. Overall, I really like our games against each other. I think we play similar style games and it's always good, clean but hard hockey. I won't be surprised if both the Preds and the Yotes are in the playoffs for many years to come.

And on the bright side, you have the hottest hockey fan on earth...so there's that. I want Fish to be traded to the Yotes just for her.

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 02:32 AM
CC96
Serious Offender

Preds outplayed us, Phoenix got some lucky breaks. If Rinne is in net, Preds win. And I concur with rabbit, ^^ that Seth Jones is one hell of a player

CC96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 02:44 AM
Fred Murtz

Kevin Klein takes puck to the grill

Full shootout

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 06:39 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
the problem is good NHL goalies bail their teams out of the situations that happened tonight.

its their job to clean up the messes their teammates make in front of them.

if every goalie let in a goal every time a play broke down in front of him, the average GAA would be about 7.00

all he has to do is make one save on any of the questionable ones and we win... but he didn't, and we didn't...

any night we score 4 goals HAS to get us two points... Rinne would have won tonights game... Dan Ellis or Anders Lindback probably would have won tonights game...

I'll take Bryzgalov for 1 million, Alex...
Bryz, the guy with a just over .500 record last season (41pts in 40 starts) with a sv% lower in each of the last two seasons than Hutton's current marks.

Hutton struggled his last two games and has now allowed 11 goals in his past three starts ... dropping to 2-1-1 with an additional no decision in the opener where he relieved Rinne less than ten minutes into the game. I can't even imagine what the reaction would be if Hutton came in and gave up three goals in under ten minutes or four goals on twelve shots in the span of just over a period, or repeatedly gave up twelve or more goals across spans of three starts including back to back five goal allowed, non-shootout games. Rinne did all those things over the past 61 regular season NHL games, so the definitive statement that Rinne would win and allusion that he doesn't have stretches eerily similar to what Hutton is in the midst of just doesn't fit history.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 06:49 AM
glenngineer

3 goal leads on the road have to be protected and won. 2 goal leads in the third have to be protected and won. The inability of this team to put Phoenix away last night is something that average teams do. Great teams up 3-0 put the pedal down and throttle the other team. Detroit was famous for doing this. This is why with Trotz we will never approach greatness, the need to protect a lead as opposed to expanding it. It's very much like football with prevent defenses, they usually give up more p

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 07:23 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Line changes factored into two of the goals allowed ... turning it over while vulnerable led to problems. Careless penalties put us on the kill ... a former strong suit that is now below what we've come to expect. We don't know the severity of Hendricks's injury. Hutton is playing like a goalie with shaken confidence over his past two starts and not the guy we saw in his first three appearances. Bourque and Wilson still with nothing to show at ES.

On the bright side (thanks to caffeine), the predictions of fewer than 15 SOG and us getting shutout were way off and we did get a much needed point to end October with 14 points in 13 games.

Old
11-01-2013, 07:29 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
.....Bourque and Wilson still with nothing to show at ES......
To me, this is a huge key so far this season. These two are supposed to be big contributors to the offense (Wilson more-so) and have laid an egg so far. I believe that Poile was really counting on these two when he made the UFA choices this offseason.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 07:37 AM
originalpredfan

To me one of the most disconcerting facts was that we got two garbage deflection goals which we don't normally get to put us ahead 3-0 and were not able to parlay that in to a win. We had enough golden chances to bury the puck but didn't. In two shootouts now we have gone (I believe) 0 for 6 or 7. Fact is we still don't have the talent to put the puck in the net. Unfortunately Hutton has not proven he is an NHL caliber goalie. He looked shaky even on some of the routine saves he made. The fact that he did well in the shootout was a shocker, but the game should never had got to that point. The first goal he let in was as soft as anything I've ever seen. I believe we have to give Magnus a try, and if he doesn't come through we have a long winter ahead.

originalpredfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 07:51 AM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Even the best goalies let in bad goals now and then. The problem isn't Hutton. The problem is we lost our starting goalie and any team that is in our situation is going to struggle. Look at the Hurricanes right now. We are in a much better position than they are currently. The team played better offensively than they have all year. We almost (should have) won against a hot team on the road and at least came away with a point. Things could be a lot worse.

While Stalbarg doesn't seems to have the chemistry with Wilson and Fisher I really like that line combo. They looked better more of the time than not. I hope they remain together for at least a few more games to see if things come together.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:06 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Can we get Lindback back?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:20 AM
predfan98

well, glad I went to bed.

And won't be staying up on Saturday.

It just doesn't seem worth it.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:53 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Bryz, the guy with a just over .500 record last season (41pts in 40 starts) with a sv% lower in each of the last two seasons than Hutton's current marks.

Hutton struggled his last two games and has now allowed 11 goals in his past three starts ... dropping to 2-1-1 with an additional no decision in the opener where he relieved Rinne less than ten minutes into the game. I can't even imagine what the reaction would be if Hutton came in and gave up three goals in under ten minutes or four goals on twelve shots in the span of just over a period, or repeatedly gave up twelve or more goals across spans of three starts including back to back five goal allowed, non-shootout games. Rinne did all those things over the past 61 regular season NHL games, so the definitive statement that Rinne would win and allusion that he doesn't have stretches eerily similar to what Hutton is in the midst of just doesn't fit history.
Just playing a little devil's advocate - Brzyz was mediocre behind Philly's sieve like defense. I'm not saying we should sign him, just saying that playing behind a defense like ours can help produce different goalie #'s than playing elsewhere.

As for Hutton - Rinne might have rough stretches, but Hutton's sample size is so small - how do we know that this is just a rough stretch or that maybe he's just not a good goalie?

Hutton doesn't have the body of work that you can give him the benefit of the doubt when he has a bad night.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 09:29 AM
token grinder

I am willing to give Hutton 3-4 more starts here, and if that fails see what we have in Hellberg another 3-4. By then Rinne should be close or should havehad a known set back where we go outside and try to find a stop gap goalie like a bryzgalov. I want to attribute Hutton's play to an ahl goalie catching up to NHL speed and he will work his way out of it.

On a positive note, the Fisher line aka the lost boys, had jump to them last night. they at least, to the eye test, looked dangerous. Only a matter of time before some puck luck comes their way.

Cullen line was awful last night.

I thought Josi looked pretty decent and Ellis-Ekholm looked good as well.

A lot of negative last night, mainly a young team blowing a 3 goal lead and a goaltender not up to speed, but a lot of good things to build on last night. 2 points would be big Saturday as the confidence for the team, and apparently fans, of having 3 points in 2 games beats the hell out of 1.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 09:35 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Just playing a little devil's advocate - Brzyz was mediocre behind Philly's sieve like defense. I'm not saying we should sign him, just saying that playing behind a defense like ours can help produce different goalie #'s than playing elsewhere.

As for Hutton - Rinne might have rough stretches, but Hutton's sample size is so small - how do we know that this is just a rough stretch or that maybe he's just not a good goalie?

Hutton doesn't have the body of work that you can give him the benefit of the doubt when he has a bad night.
Bryz's sv% hovers around where Hutton is now. Only twice in the past six seasons has he had a sv% higher than Hutton's current sv%

I remember a goalie who won his first start although he allowed three goals. He got the hook within the first fifteen minutes of his second start after allowing another three goals, this time on eight shots. He won his next two starts, beating Florida and Edmonton then got the hook in start number five with four goals on ten shots. Using the same criteria expressed in this thread to judge Hutton, we should have tied Pekka to the paddle wheel on the General Jackson and ran him up and down the Cumberland until he was dead. Hutton had two rough outings after three good ones and for some strange reason I trust Mitch Korn more than HF on the subject of goalies.

We're getting .500 hockey with Pekka out .... exactly what we got from him before the infection.

Old
11-01-2013, 09:54 AM
SavageSteve

Quote:
Bryz's sv% hovers around where Hutton is now. Only twice in the past six seasons has he had a sv% higher than Hutton's current sv%

I remember a goalie who won his first start although he allowed three goals. He got the hook within the first fifteen minutes of his second start after allowing another three goals, this time on eight shots. He won his next two starts, beating Florida and Edmonton then got the hook in start number five with four goals on ten shots. Using the same criteria expressed in this thread to judge Hutton, we should have tied Pekka to the paddle wheel on the General Jackson and ran him up and down the Cumberland until he was dead. Hutton had two rough outings after three good ones and for some strange reason I trust Mitch Korn more than HF on the subject of goalies.

We're getting .500 hockey with Pekka out .... exactly what we got from him before the infection.
That's great and all but this rocky stretch is so typical of every early Preds season in recent memory that I am just moving onto just wanting to see them not make the same mistakes in the next one. Should have been a win; but hopefully that point in the standings to the 'Yotes won't come back to haunt us down the stretch.

That said however, the inner 'Mike Keenan' in me says that I'd personally like to see Hellberg get in some quality time between the pipes soon (like Lindback had to) to create a nice goalie controversy that will hopefully motivate both of them till we know when or if Peks comes back this season. I've known too many people with internal infections like that requiring much longer treatment/rest that the rose garden the team is selling us. I'll believe Peks is back when he is BACK! Till then w/ that monster contract of Peks, IMO we have King Hut and Hellberg. At worst we have two goalies playing their way into not riding pine, at best we have a log-jam at goal we might have the luxury of having to 'trade' our way out of WHEN Peks comes back.

I have to see it this way or I will destroy an LCD TV trying to kill whoever is making bonehead plays in much of the same manner as I do with pinching heads in effigy of idiot drivers in front of me in rush hour on I-24 to the 'Boro. It's strangely therapeutic...

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote