HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2013, 10:30 PM
ManofSteel55

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
They're not even getting .900 goaltending. That's the biggest reason their 5on5 GA is horrendous.
A big reason for their below .900 goaltending, is that they blow coverage in the defensive zone and give up tons of quality scoring chances. You can only partially blame our goaltending, there's not a goalie in the world who would look good with the piss poor defense we've this season.

Old
10-31-2013, 11:34 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
A big reason for their below .900 goaltending, is that they blow coverage in the defensive zone and give up tons of quality scoring chances. You can only partially blame our goaltending, there's not a goalie in the world who would look good with the piss poor defense we've this season.
I agree with you to an extent, but some of the goals that have been scored against this team are just brutal and have nothing to do with blown dzone coverage.

Old
10-31-2013, 11:36 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatman View Post

It definitely contributes, but I think that's also a chicken/egg thing. Sure the goaltending hasn't been good, but the system's play has been a mess too. They both have a role in it.
To a degree. We can go back and look at this and see several instances where a basic save results in a win.

Old
11-01-2013, 01:34 AM
moog35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowbyBlow View Post
Renny - good defensive minded coach, didnt know how to run a pp
Renny couldn't have been very defensive minded because this team was never taught basic defense

Old
11-01-2013, 04:36 AM
Hemsky4PM

I liked what I heard from Eakins...right up to the start of training camp. Since then, it's been downhill, and now that I see his systems play in action...I'm not feeling very confident that things will improve. The players need to stop making excuses though - good players should be able to hustle to overcome (to some degree) poor coaching.

Old
11-01-2013, 05:48 AM
tommyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
he also says he assumed his team knew how to play basic defense but he was wrong, I just found that to be an odd statement but maybe thats just me

Another interesting thing in the video is watching the progression of his hair, it goes from being in place at the beginning to multiple strands out of place hanging down across his forehead
He said '"TRADITIONAL DEFENSE" , " He assumed the player knew what he meant by,traditional defense. He has now clarified it for them"

Old
11-01-2013, 07:29 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
I liked what I heard from Eakins...right up to the start of training camp. Since then, it's been downhill, and now that I see his systems play in action...I'm not feeling very confident that things will improve. The players need to stop making excuses though - good players should be able to hustle to overcome (to some degree) poor coaching.
From the sounds of it, it sounds like they have to overcome 4 years of bad (defensive) coaching. Is that on Renney and Krueger or Smith?

Old
11-01-2013, 09:07 AM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 590
He certainly talks down about the players a lot with the media (most recently about how a bunch of our players are equivalent to the AHL newbie version of Kadri). Can't imagine that is earning him much respect in the dressing room.

Old
11-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Patience

Toronto fan in peace. I was in the minority as someone who was underwhelmed by Eakins in Toronto. He talked a great game in media scrums as an AHL coach of a veteran laden AHL team. He provided great lip service and was very quotable. The Toronto media absolutely loved the guy hence there was so much good press surrounding him. Little of the good press came from observations of his AHL team or the development of the team's prospects. Eakins bolted at the perfect time as the Leafs' AHL team was about to become very young with very few notable prospects.

Eakins has made these needlessly controversial statements. There was the "son in law" quip which came off ironic when he has been dressing his assistant's son who isn't even a stand out AHL player. Then an indirect shot taken at the team's previous coaches (and the former coaches of players from other organizations) regarding the players not understanding basic defense.

It's appearing that he may be frittering away this golden opportunity. He isn't part of that old boys' club that constitutes the Oilers' front office. He isn't going to get as much slack as one of their old buddies would have gotten.

Old
11-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
deleted, I'm sleepy

Old
11-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
is there a thread where we're discussing how kids at his daughter's school are telling him he sucks and how the media's asking him why he's allowing his players to have a Halloween party in spite of us losing so much?

Old
11-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
is there a thread where we're discussing how kids at his daughter's school are telling him he sucks and how the media's asking him why he's allowing his players to have a Halloween party in spite of us losing so much?
I would of cancelled that party to. People use Halloween as an excuse to do stupid things, and all you need is a house full of kids when something dumb happens. As much as I dislike KLowe and wish he would resign, nobody wants bad **** to happen. There will be lots of time for other parties.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:17 AM
gqmixmaster

vCash: 50
it would be great if Dubnyk dressed up like an nhl goalie for halloween

Old
11-01-2013, 11:05 AM
moog35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyb View Post
He said '"TRADITIONAL DEFENSE" , " He assumed the player knew what he meant by,traditional defense. He has now clarified it for them"
by saying the players didn't know traditional defence hes taking a shot at the previous coaches. What he should have clarified is his views on traditional defence may be different from the views of his players and that needed to be clarified

Old
11-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmixmaster View Post
it would be great if Dubnyk dressed up like an nhl goalie for halloween
I know right. If only Dubnyk was decent they'd win every game. The forwards, dominating. The defense, impenetrable...and then there's Dubnyk.

Old
11-01-2013, 12:24 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
I'd say here is a good place. I feel sorry for his kids to be honest, that's not fair but it's the market...

I liked he response though something like "you need to ok with this end of things if you want to be ok with the love and praise when things are good"

Hate the idea of his 5 year old getting torn apart at school though.

as for the Halloween party, who cares? They don't play until Saturday. Good for them, have fun.

Old
11-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm glad he's starting to see that anything even remotely complex is too much for this group. If they dumb it down to the very basics, maybe they can handle their assignments. Eventually you can start to add.

Old
11-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
I'd say here is a good place. I feel sorry for his kids to be honest, that's not fair but it's the market...

I liked he response though something like "you need to ok with this end of things if you want to be ok with the love and praise when things are good"

Hate the idea of his 5 year old getting torn apart at school though.

as for the Halloween party, who cares? They don't play until Saturday. Good for them, have fun.
meh.. hes not the only one.. im sure kids of players, assistants, the mini Lowes, Comries and Katz' of Edmonton all get jeered at school at some point. Saying "your dad sucks" or taking shots at Oilers in school is hardly considered "getting torn apart".

Old
11-01-2013, 12:52 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
meh.. hes not the only one.. im sure kids of players, assistants, the mini Lowes, Comries and Katz' of Edmonton all get jeered at school at some point. Saying "your dad sucks" or taking shots at Oilers in school is hardly considered "getting torn apart".
Forsure, I'm not talking about that comment in particular but it could get ugly. Part of the territory I guess.

Old
11-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Killer Z

If do not win at least 50% of our next 10 games we need to let him go.

Old
11-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Z View Post
let him go and get what?
There is no chance of Eakins getting fired ... There is a better chance of Hall getting traded than Oilers making yet another coaching change.

Old
11-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

No surprise that this team is incompetent when it comes to basic defense.

Old
11-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
let him go and get what?
There is no chance of Eakins getting fired ... There is a better chance of Hall getting traded than Oilers making yet another coaching change.
Agreed. Firing Eakins would be at terrible move right now. Need to stick with him. We're probably out of the playoffs already anyways.

Old
11-01-2013, 01:26 PM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Z View Post
Flames fan here, just wanted to chime in and say that this would be a very bad move.

I think the rotating door of coaches the Oilers have had the past few years is a determent to the team and the growth of the young players.

If the team is playing this badly for this long, its likely due to personnel on the ice, and not due to coaching.

The GM should be making some trades to improve the team now (ie trading away picks and eberle/yak) instead of blaming the coach for the teams failures.

Old
11-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Well hearing that your Dad is bad at his job, or should be fired, or more likely (considering the age group), sucks, is not anything a younger child should have to deal with.

Edit: I'm just saying we should not be justifying the heckling of athletes outside of the sports arena. People will say it comes with the territory, but I'd argue that that's a sad indictment of the territory more than anything else.

Closed Thread