HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013-2014 Blues Discussion Thread - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2013, 02:07 PM
BadgersandBlues

vCash: 500
Roy was brought in to make Stewart more of a threat. That hasn't happened. Stewart I think has been playing better of late, but as is the case with Stewart, if he's not scoring, he's not worth his price-tag. In that regard, so far at least, Roy has been disappointing.

Old
10-31-2013, 02:13 PM
Bluesman91

Roy was always only going to be a stop gap, he was literally the only thing left. If you guys were expecting him to be a game changer then I feel sorry that you set yourself up for disappoint. I still think he's playing better with us than he did in Dallas and Vancouver last year.

Old
10-31-2013, 02:40 PM
superblues
:sarcasm: implied

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Yeah aside from being generally invisible and not having an impact on the outcome of games, Roy has been "great." Holy low standards, Batman.
Right now, Roy's got seven point to Stewart's two. Roy is ranked 6th on this team in points, fourth of the forwards. I wouldn't call Roy great, but I'd call his numbers good. Despite all the love thrown around for Sobotka, Berglund, and Schwartz, Roy has somehow accumulated more goals and more points than any of them, despite averaging 1:30 - 2:30 less TOI than those three.

His contributions thus far have been more than adequate for a being the de facto third line C.

Old
10-31-2013, 03:36 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Roy was always only going to be a stop gap, he was literally the only thing left. If you guys were expecting him to be a game changer then I feel sorry that you set yourself up for disappoint. I still think he's playing better with us than he did in Dallas and Vancouver last year.
Grabovski was also available.

I don't think he was the answer either, but I do think if there is a move that gets Lecavelier in a Bluenote this season over Roy, without taking away from the one-ice team significantly....you do it.

Old
10-31-2013, 04:01 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#turtlemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post

I don't think he was the answer either, but I do think if there is a move that gets Lecavelier in a Bluenote this season over Roy, without taking away from the one-ice team significantly....you do it.
That wasn't an option, that's the problem. That's really the reason Roy was signed. We tried for Vinny, but he signed elsewhere.

Old
10-31-2013, 04:24 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daley Tarasenkshow View Post
That wasn't an option, that's the problem. That's really the reason Roy was signed. We tried for Vinny, but he signed elsewhere.
I'm referring to the rumors about a potential trade with Philadelphia.

Old
10-31-2013, 04:35 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post

Grabovski wasn't really an option. He was getting married and not taking calls, Army couldn't sit on his hands and then hope that the last guy available would choose us. He went out and made offers to 3 centres and we got our third choice (fourth if you consider Lecavalier a week earlier).

If we're getting Lecavalier as a piece in a larger deal then you do it, but I don't imagine that the Flyers would be interested in selling low on him.

Old
10-31-2013, 05:32 PM
Alklha

We've recalled Chris Porter, when everyone is healthy it is going to be interesting to see who goes on waivers.

Old
10-31-2013, 05:34 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
We've recalled Chris Porter, when everyone is healthy it is going to be interesting to see who goes on waivers.
Really? Porter or Cracknell.

Old
10-31-2013, 05:58 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Really? Porter or Cracknell.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that it would be wider than that. Despite Porter clearing last time, circumstances change and these things aren't automatic. Teams seeing their bottom 6 struggles X games into a season makes waiver pick ups more likely and if I had to pick 1 I wouldn't want to lose it would be Porter.

With the lack of information on the MPS injury it is guesswork as to when this becomes a factor.

Old
10-31-2013, 06:08 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that it would be wider than that. Despite Porter clearing last time, circumstances change and these things aren't automatic. Teams seeing their bottom 6 struggles X games into a season makes waiver pick ups more likely and if I had to pick 1 I wouldn't want to lose it would be Porter.

With the lack of information on the MPS injury it is guesswork as to when this becomes a factor.
Cracknell won the battle in camp, and nothing about his play has changed that. Hitchcock's quotes on his play in his limited appearances have been effusive. I really doubt Porter is suddenly going to move past him (and he probably doesn't even get any ice time barring another injury).

Maybe he'll get claimed on the way back down....I don't think that makes or breaks the Blues. If he does, good for him and maybe he can get his career back on track.

Old
11-01-2013, 04:50 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblues View Post
Right now, Roy's got seven point to Stewart's two. Roy is ranked 6th on this team in points, fourth of the forwards. I wouldn't call Roy great, but I'd call his numbers good. Despite all the love thrown around for Sobotka, Berglund, and Schwartz, Roy has somehow accumulated more goals and more points than any of them, despite averaging 1:30 - 2:30 less TOI than those three.

His contributions thus far have been more than adequate for a being the de facto third line C.
ESPECIALLY considering that he shouldn't be judged yet on his chemistry with his linemates (e.g. it should get better within the next 10-15 games) and with that, the jump in assists desired from him, should materialise.

I'd guess that with the added chemistry with his linemates that should come, naturally, after 10-20 more games, by mid-season, he should be on the 0.8 ppg pace we'll need from him during the stretch run and the playoffs (the main reason he was signed).

I'm not considering his signing a mistake if his production just stays where it is. If it increases to where I think it will be, just from more experience with his linemates, I think The Blues will be very happy with him.

Old
11-01-2013, 05:02 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Or traded.

Old
11-01-2013, 09:14 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Probably nobody goes on waivers. Unless things changed under the new CBA, Porter can be with the team 10 games/30 days before he would have to clear waivers again to return to AHL Chicago. Unless more injuries occur or Morrow/Paajarvi end up out of the lineup quite a while, Porter could very well be sent back to the AHL in the 10 games/30 days timeframe.

Porter would have to vastly outplay Cracknell for the Blues to keep him since he's already cleared waivers IMO.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#turtlemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post
Or traded.
What good does trading him do, especially since his value is extremely low right now?

Old
11-01-2013, 12:50 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Funny article about Tarasenko and Reaves doing a "Troy and Abed in the Morning" type of routine.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...aa2599713.html

Old
11-01-2013, 12:55 PM
BlueDream

If I was head coach I would never even have Reaves out of the lineup, I think he's that effective.

Old
11-01-2013, 01:15 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

$teen named first star of the month. At an undisclosed location, his agent laughs manically.

Old
11-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
If I was head coach I would never even have Reaves out of the lineup, I think he's that effective.
Agreed, the guy can actually play hockey unlike a lot of enforcers throughout the league. His shot has improved quite a bit, and he's a beast along the boards when working the cycle. If Armstrong doesn't re-sign him then I would be extremely disappointed.

Old
11-08-2013, 02:03 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Interesting comment lost in the Strauss piece today on Steen was that Hitchcock devoted most of training camp to offensive work rather than his usual defensive emphasis. (I think that's because he had almost the whole team back and they already know what he wants with the defense.)

Old
11-08-2013, 03:16 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Yea, Hitchcock said pretty early in the off-season that the Blues needed to create more on the rush. Part of that is knowing that the team has it in them to do it - with Schwartz and Tarasenko taking the next step, for starters. But the Blues are so good at forcing turnovers and are so capable in transition that Hitch was right: if they could get just a little bit better on the rush, they'd be a lot more dangerous.

I don't know if they're numerically having more dangerous chances and/or converting more on the rush, but, anecdotally, I'd say it's proving to be true so far - at least in forcing other teams to defend differently, opening up other options. The Blues seem to get a lot more space and time than they used to when they pull up in the zone, which is usually caused by being dangerous on the rush.

Old
11-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Does Roy remind anyone else of McDonald in his last year here? Can't seem to make any passes, soft along the boards, and turnovers all over the place.

Old
11-09-2013, 04:13 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
Does Roy remind anyone else of McDonald in his last year here? Can't seem to make any passes, soft along the boards, and turnovers all over the place.
Roy has had some useless games and I want to see him play with more intensity, but he is considerably better than McDonald was last year.

Old
11-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
I don't think he's been as bad as McTurnover was last year.

Old
11-09-2013, 05:07 PM
BlueDream

Yeah McDonald truly was awful last year. Roy hasn't been nearly as bad as some people on this forum like to act, he's just a lot more risky rather than safe compared to guys like Backes and Berglund which we are used to. But with an offensive-minded playmaker like Roy, that often times comes with the territory.

Closed Thread