HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Homer's last 3 major moves.

Old
11-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
And if I ran my business on the basis of rumour and innuendo, I'd have been broke and on the street long ago.
So you think they were traded because they were determined to be bad players?

The last two years they both had 61 & 62 pts and 66 pts, that's not awful by any lengths.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
So you think they were traded because they were determined to be bad players?
They were traded because their return was sizable enough to fuel a quick rebuild while filling out the roster.

Everyone knew 2-3 of Hartnell, Carter, Briere, Carle/Coburn, Mez, or even Timonen needed to be shipped out to make things work for the season; there's a reason every theoretical roster made here involved several moves or were filled with crappy AHL players. They ended up going for max return in the end.

If the rumors factored into it, they sure look stupid for choosing Pronger/Lavi over Richards. Really, really stupid.

11-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Hiesenberg

BTW. I kind of had to chuckle...Carter showed up today in a walking boot.

Old
11-01-2013, 02:07 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
BTW. I kind of had to chuckle...Carter showed up today in a walking boot.
"Only chokers get injured."

--A disturbingly large segment of the Flyers fanbase.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Hiesenberg

Hey, Flyers/Chicago play a game 7 if he doesn't miss the net.

Old
11-01-2013, 02:11 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
IT WAS JUST LEIGHTON AND YOU KNOW IT

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
IT WAS JUST LEIGHTON AND YOU KNOW IT

The flyers should've been given some sort of award to make it to Game 6 w/ that stiff.

Old
11-01-2013, 02:18 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
They were traded because their return was sizable enough to fuel a quick rebuild while filling out the roster.

Everyone knew 2-3 of Hartnell, Carter, Briere, Carle/Coburn, Mez, or even Timonen needed to be shipped out to make things work for the season; there's a reason every theoretical roster made here involved several moves or were filled with crappy AHL players. They ended up going for max return in the end.

If the rumors factored into it, they sure look stupid for choosing Pronger/Lavi over Richards. Really, really stupid.
That's the one thing that really pisses me off if all the rumors were true. Under what circumstances should an organization side with a coach and an aging defenseman over your two prime aged franchise forwards? Coaches, especially ones like Lavy, have short shelf lives when compared to players. Was sacrificing 10+ years of Carter and Richards ever going to be worth 3-5 years of Pronger/Lavy? I can understand trading them if they felt like they were never going to lead the team to a championship, but trading them because they didn't get along with coach was an incredibly idiotic decision, if true.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 02:20 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Admittedly annoying, but blown way out of proportion. He's not the first guy to miss a quality chance, and he certainly won't be the last. Craptastic goaltending is the much bigger reason why they lost in 6.

Old
11-01-2013, 02:24 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Again with the Carter and Richards revisionism.

I've been following the Flyers since the mid 80's and never have I seen such a polarizing debate over 2 Flyers..not even with Propp and Poulin when they were traded. Those two were much better players and had way more character and integrity off the ice than Carter and Richards and yet the debate when those two were individually traded was that Clarke held on to them too long and even worse got diminished returns as a result which ultimately set up the team for 5 years of futility.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 02:26 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Niemi made a save.

If you're going to call Carter out, at least make sure you remember what happened.

11-01-2013, 02:29 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Again with the Carter and Richards revisionism.

I've been following the Flyers since the mid 80's and never have I seen such a polarizing debate over 2 Flyers..not even with Propp and Poulin when they were traded. Those two were much better players and had way more character and integrity off the ice than Carter and Richards and yet the debate when those two were individually traded was that Clarke held on to them too long and even worse got diminished returns as a result which ultimately set up the team for 5 years of futility.
Well yeah, considering they were traded within a calender year of a finals appearance. It's something that will be discussed for quite a while, even if it hurts your feelings.

Old
11-01-2013, 02:31 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
That's the one thing that really pisses me off if all the rumors were true. Under what circumstances should an organization side with a coach and an aging defenseman over your two prime aged franchise forwards? Coaches, especially ones like Lavy, have short shelf lives when compared to players. Was sacrificing 10+ years of Carter and Richards ever going to be worth 3-5 years of Pronger/Lavy? I can understand trading them if they felt like they were never going to lead the team to a championship, but trading them because they didn't get along with coach was an incredibly idiotic decision, if true.
The problem was that the flyers had a history of firing coaches to appease players so they made a line in the sand when it was reported that Richards and Lavi "didn't see eye to eye and that their relationship was a work in progress." Was it a smart move..maybe not considering Lavi is unemployed along with Bryz who was another line in the sand decision....

Old
11-01-2013, 02:36 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Well yeah, considering they were traded within a calender year of a finals appearance. It's something that will be discussed for quite a while, even if it hurts your feelings.
Doesn't hurt my feelings at all..I'm glad they were moved. The reasons that continue to be debated are futile at this point though b/c of it's third rail nature which I still find to be peculiar considering some of the more storied players that have come through this organization like Propp and Poulin. [Mod]

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 11-01-2013 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Exercising my right to censor
Old
11-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
You mean if Niemi doesn't make a great save.

Or if Leighton makes a save himself.

Old
11-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

The complete lack of drama or even rumors of drama in LA really doesn't do much to confirm over-the-top the media portrayal here.

On the other hand, you have Pronger, who had drama follow him his whole career, and not surprisingly, to Philly as well.

Old
11-01-2013, 02:43 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
The problem was that the flyers had a history of firing coaches to appease players so they made a line in the sand when it was reported that Richards and Lavi "didn't see eye to eye and that their relationship was a work in progress." Was it a smart move..maybe not considering Lavi is unemployed along with Bryz who was another line in the sand decision....
Who are all of these coaches that were fired to appease players? If anything, Flyers coaches have gotten a very long leash, at least for the last decade or so.

Quote:
Doesn't hurt my feelings at all..I'm glad they were moved. The reasons that continue to be debated are futile at this point though b/c of it's third rail nature which I still find to be peculiar considering some of the more storied players that have come through this organization like Propp and Poulin. [Mod]
Fair enough. The Richards/Carter trades are going to continue to be discussed around here because of the fall out ever since. Not only did they go on to win a cup the very next season, but the Flyers have been slowly trending down to the point that they're not even an average team right now. It's always going to sting a little when you look at it that way.

Old
11-01-2013, 02:44 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Who are all of these coaches that were fired to appease players? If anything, Flyers coaches have gotten a very long leash, at least for the last decade or so.

Fair enough. The Richards/Carter trades are going to continue to be discussed around here because of the fall out ever since. Not only did they go on to win a cup the very next season, but the Flyers have been slowly trending down to the point that they're not even an average team right now. It's always going to sting a little when you look at it that way.
Barber and Hitchcock among others....those two were the most recent

Old
11-01-2013, 02:47 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Barber and Hitchcock among others....those two were the most recent
Maybe I'm forgetting details (I was only a kid back then), but I'm pretty sure they were both fired because the teams were playing poorly for them. The Hitch firing was actually a blessing in disguise, as Richards and Carter would have never developed under his veteran dependent approach.

Old
11-01-2013, 02:52 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Maybe I'm forgetting details (I was only a kid back then), but I'm pretty sure they were both fired because the teams were playing poorly for them. The Hitch firing was actually a blessing in disguise, as Richards and Carter would have never developed under his veteran dependent approach.
Barber was literally run out of town by Preems and co. when he couldn't adjust in the playoffs like Lavi and just told them to work harder....

Hitchcock totally lost the room and Richards would have been out of here much sooner if he stuck around..

You play bad when you don't believe in your coach's message any longer and that clearly happened with Barber and Hitch ..

Oh and Murray was run out of town for telling the truth (Flyers choking in the finals ).

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 11-01-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old
11-01-2013, 02:55 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

On the other hand, you have Pronger, who had drama follow him his whole career, and not surprisingly, to Philly as well.
You are purely speculating yourself and framing an argument that is no more convincing..

Old
11-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
You are purely speculating yourself and framing an argument that is no more convincing..
It's well known and accepted that Pronger has had drama pretty much everywhere except Anaheim. Multiple media sources have reported on that for years. Players have commented on it. Richards and Carter had drama while dealing with terrible media in Philly. They go elsewhere and somehow it all disappears. Pronger was consistently part of rumored drama. Richards and Carter haven't had that consistency.

I've never understood why Pronger, with his past, has gotten such a free pass. Meanwhile you've got people in Philly flat-out inventing rumors about the other two and spreading them as fact.

Old
11-01-2013, 03:19 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
It's well known and accepted that Pronger has had drama pretty much everywhere except Anaheim. Multiple media sources have reported on that for years. Players have commented on it. Richards and Carter had drama while dealing with terrible media in Philly. They go elsewhere and somehow it all disappears. Pronger was consistently part of rumored drama. Richards and Carter haven't had that consistency.

I've never understood why Pronger, with his past, has gotten such a free pass. Meanwhile you've got people in Philly flat-out inventing rumors about the other two and spreading them as fact.
His past included cup wins and appearances ..that's part of it I'm sure and a legit point. Nonethless, your innuendo is pure innuendo. You are suggesting the "problem" was Pronger...you don't know that.

Old
11-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
His past included cup wins and appearances ..that's part of it I'm sure and a legit point. Nonethless, your innuendo is pure innuendo. You are suggesting the "problem" was Pronger...you don't know that.
No, I don't. I don't claim I KNOW it was Pronger, either. I just find it odd that so many people will buy all the Richards/Carter rumors without considering Pronger's potential influence.

You know I personally try to steer clear of all that stuff and deal with what we know for sure.

Old
11-01-2013, 03:36 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
No, I don't. I don't claim I KNOW it was Pronger, either. I just find it odd that so many people will buy all the Richards/Carter rumors without considering Pronger's potential influence.

You know I personally try to steer clear of all that stuff and deal with what we know for sure.
You are engaging in innuendo....I find it odd as well. You can put it out there just as others I suppose when they speculate...that's all I'm pointing out