HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Managers Address end of the year MacT

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2013, 09:11 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
We all know what he has done including hiring the coach on a whim that you are blaming for the poor start. At this point in time his ancilliary players are producing no better than the Tambo off seasons of belanger, eager, foster, Hordichuck, Barker etc.
I don't blame Eakins completely. I think he shares some of the blame but its on his players as well. Ference's quotes from the other night were pretty damning.

And for the record, Boyd Gordon has already scored more goals as an Oiler than Belanger did...

Old
10-31-2013, 09:22 PM
iCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I don't blame Eakins completely. I think he shares some of the blame but its on his players as well. Ference's quotes from the other night were pretty damning.

And for the record, Boyd Gordon has already scored more goals as an Oiler than Belanger did...
What were Ferences quotes?

Old
10-31-2013, 09:33 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
What were Ferences quotes?
http://oilersnation.com/2013/10/30/a...se-observation

Old
11-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:

Isn't he getting close to more goals this year then Belangers entire Oilers "career"?

Old
11-01-2013, 08:21 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:

Wtf has Ference done on the ice?

He has been mediocre at best.

A Moreau in Ference clothing.

Its everyone else's fault, not mine.

Pffft.

Old
11-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy35 View Post
In what way exactly? Just by making moves and trades for the sake of making them so he resume indicates he was successfully pro active?
Uh he made trades to improve areas where weakness were identified. Centre depth was a problem as were faceoffs. He landed Gordon. Needed top sixers who could play with an edge: he went out and got Perron. veteran leadership? Ference (though I hate the contract and am not wild about the player).

None of these were "trades for the sake of trades" as you say. That's crazy talk.

Quote:
Look at the teams record for gods sakes. What has MacT accomplished? Nothing at all so far. Zero. This is perhaps the worst start in franchise history.

For all the love of MacT's moves there is a litte inconvenient thing called wins and losses that get in the way.
And the games are played on the ice, not in the GMs office. Is MacT to have known that both goalies would go into the tank at the same time out of the gate, that Gagner would break his jaw in the preseason, that Hall would get kneed and so on? Now, i know you think of those things as "excuses" for poor play, but otehrs are more apt to see them as "reasons." It's tough enough to learn a new system, work in a new coach, new players and all that without that additional stuff getting in the way. How any of that is the GM of a few month's fault is simply beyond me.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Beerfish solution: Fire MacT because it's a bad start.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
One of the common threads for the last couple of years is Buchburger and Smith, and to an extent, Lowe. It was very telling that Eakins said that the team in general does not know basic defense.

Maybe Eakins should have picked his own assistants at the time. But he was new and wanted coaches there that knew the team.

MacT has to do something about this old boys club situation ASAP, even though he is a part of it.

People are really starting to get pissed off with this organization....and I'm talking lifelong Oiler fans.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
It's more like Fire Mac-T because he has the nerve to be Mac-T

Old
11-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Beerfish's solution:

Fire Kevin Lowe and get a smart hockey man in charge

or

Do not hire an ex coach who can't get an NHL job who failed miserably here years ago who has had one year of management experience as a vice president in charge of something or other.

or

Do not hire an AHL coach on whim after talking about the need for coaching stability who you could have had as an associate coach for year to see how he operates.

or

If you insist on hiring this AHL coach get rid of the two obvious nepotism assistant coaches and let him hire a full staff.

or

Do not boldly strut forth on the day of your hire with the rest of the 'dream team' of management and talk about bold moves, being impatient, being able to judge players very quickly, not making any excuses and the fact that you are going to change the culture of the team and a day later saying you are going to get rid of two vets.

In the end the only thing that matters in the whole debate we continually have on these forums is the record of the team. Unless the Oilers get very hot over the next 13 games they will in effect be out of the playoffs by the 1/3 mark of the season and that would be totally unacceptable, an embarrassment of a very high magnitude.

Old
11-01-2013, 11:25 AM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
People are really starting to get pissed off with this organization....and I'm talking lifelong Oiler fans.
which is a shame because I think these guys are the ones that deserve some patience. MacT isn't going to fire the coach he hand picked (can understand why he would as a new GM fire Kreuger and hire someone who meshed with his ideas of a team, that's something I believe a GM should have is a coach he wants) and Eakins will either get the team to buy into what he's selling or they'll get players who will. Look at how things operated with Tambo in charge, there was no reason for the players to buy in if the team lost they'd just fire the coach. Sends a bad message. I think there is a buy in from the players too, I don't think any of them want to lose, I just think it takes time to break bad habits and change the mentality of a team that is so used to doing what they were doing.

Old
11-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
which is a shame because I think these guys are the ones that deserve some patience. MacT isn't going to fire the coach he hand picked (can understand why he would as a new GM fire Kreuger and hire someone who meshed with his ideas of a team, that's something I believe a GM should have is a coach he wants) and Eakins will either get the team to buy into what he's selling or they'll get players who will. Look at how things operated with Tambo in charge, there was no reason for the players to buy in if the team lost they'd just fire the coach. Sends a bad message. I think there is a buy in from the players too, I don't think any of them want to lose, I just think it takes time to break bad habits and change the mentality of a team that is so used to doing what they were doing.
This has been said about almost every coach iteration though. Give Quinn time to fix MacT's mess, give Rennie time to fix Quinns mess, give Krueger time to fix Rennies mess, give Eakins time to fix Kruegers mess.

None of these coaches have achieved any degree of success. With each new 'regime' they better start working faster because 5 or 6 years of not just missing the playoffs but being a lower echelon team out of the race early is not acceptable.

Old
11-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Beerfish's solution:

Fire Kevin Lowe and get a smart hockey man in charge

or

Do not hire an ex coach who can't get an NHL job who failed miserably here years ago who has had one year of management experience as a vice president in charge of something or other.

or

Do not hire an AHL coach on whim after talking about the need for coaching stability who you could have had as an associate coach for year to see how he operates.

or

If you insist on hiring this AHL coach get rid of the two obvious nepotism assistant coaches and let him hire a full staff.

or

Do not boldly strut forth on the day of your hire with the rest of the 'dream team' of management and talk about bold moves, being impatient, being able to judge players very quickly, not making any excuses and the fact that you are going to change the culture of the team and a day later saying you are going to get rid of two vets.

In the end the only thing that matters in the whole debate we continually have on these forums is the record of the team. Unless the Oilers get very hot over the next 13 games they will in effect be out of the playoffs by the 1/3 mark of the season and that would be totally unacceptable, an embarrassment of a very high magnitude.
Do you have a solution for this "unacceptable" situation that doesn't require Doc Brown and a Dolorean?

Old
11-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Do you have a solution for this "unacceptable" situation that doesn't require Doc Brown and a Dolorean?
Of course he doesnt.

It's just the same old everything is bad crap.

I like how he never mentions how MacT traded the devil himself this off season. Never mentions it. At all.

Old
11-01-2013, 12:43 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
This has been said about almost every coach iteration though. Give Quinn time to fix MacT's mess, give Rennie time to fix Quinns mess, give Krueger time to fix Rennies mess, give Eakins time to fix Kruegers mess.

None of these coaches have achieved any degree of success. With each new 'regime' they better start working faster because 5 or 6 years of not just missing the playoffs but being a lower echelon team out of the race early is not acceptable.
The key here is that there's a new GM who seems to understand that you can't keep blaming coaches for everything. Mact, Quinn and Renney were all replaced by Tambellini right? Kreuger wasn't scapegoated by Mctavish, he was just not the kind of coach he wanted which is fair for a new GM. I don't think you're going to see Mctavish saying the roster is fine and the coach is letting them down, after that many coaches it would be foolish to think otherwise. Being pissed off and wanting an instant fix isn't a solution cause there is no instant fix. Got to let these new people form the team the way they want, which includes changing the way players play and that takes time and you can either accept that and show some patience or not but *****ing and moaning constantly isn't going to speed up the process.

Old
11-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

How much time was given for each coach? Like a season?

And Beerfish is *****ing about it taking too long? Gee Wonder why.

Old
11-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

About Ference: He's been somewhat disappointing on the ice because he's been very average. And he is the Captain. But he's probably the dman I've noticed the least ****ups from. I can recall many from Smid, Petry, Belov, the Schultz', Grebs..but not much from Ference. He like everyone else, needs to play with more intensity though.

Old
11-01-2013, 02:25 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
How much time was given for each coach? Like a season?

And Beerfish is *****ing about it taking too long? Gee Wonder why.
He just misses Horcoff.

Old
11-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
No there is no solution this team is totally F'd for a number of years because Mact will be here long term since his best buddy is in charge. Eakins will be here this whole year no matter what happens and to start next year. If the team gets off to a bad start then MacT will step behind the bench.

MacT started his front office education a month after he was hired by seeing that it's not that easy to effect change and that he is now talking much like Tambo did.

Old
11-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Of course he doesnt.

It's just the same old everything is bad crap.

I like how he never mentions how MacT traded the devil himself this off season. Never mentions it. At all.
lol, I am supposed to give him mega credit for trading Horcoff?

You did say one thing correctly in your post.

"It's the same old everything is bad crap." That sums up the Oilers and their organization very well.

Old
11-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
lol, I am supposed to give him mega credit for trading Horcoff?

You did say one thing correctly in your post.

"It's the same old everything is bad crap." That sums up the Oilers and their organization very well.
Actually Yes, he does deserve credit for moving Horcoff, because he didn't just take whatever he could get to get him out.

He traded Horcoff considing: Horcoff's contract, the Oilers didn't Retain a Dime and they got assets Back.

If you don't consider that significant, then you likely won't consider anything significant. Remember, Horcoff "WAS" the untradeable, buyout candidate Millstone around the Oilers' neck, and Mac-T moved him out of town FOR something and without Retaining Any Salary.

Old
11-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Slats432

The natives are restless.....lol

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-oth...AdIdZ538704762

Old
11-01-2013, 05:15 PM
OntOilFan

MacT's comments in the Matheson article are truly stupefying.

That does not sound like a man who hates to lose.

Old
11-01-2013, 06:51 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
If you don't consider that significant, then you likely won't consider anything significant. Remember, Horcoff "WAS" the untradeable, buyout candidate Millstone around the Oilers' neck, and Mac-T moved him out of town FOR something and without Retaining Any Salary.
And honestly, I don't know that there was another poster on the board who complained more about Horcoff.
So to not give any credit for moving this player out is strange indeed.

Old
11-01-2013, 06:56 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Too many attacks on posters in here. Closed

Closed Thread