HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is your breaking point as a fan?

View Poll Results: How much longer before you start questioning you allegiance to the Oilers
I bleed copper and Blue 124 41.61%
1 more year 10 3.36%
2 more years 10 3.36%
I am starting to follow another team aleady 31 10.40%
Cheering for the Flames already 18 6.04%
Looking at other options 37 12.42%
I am enjoying the fan meltdown after every lose 68 22.82%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-31-2013, 05:14 PM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiLowe View Post
Uh? Perhaps you should ignore it then? Pointless post is pointless. People have a right to be annoyed, angry, fedup, etc. with this team. Perhaps their level of dedication to the Oilers simply surpasses yours?

As for myself, I'm already at the point of "checking scores" I couldn't be bothered to watch this sad excuse of a hockey team and it doesn't shock me that others are at the same point. Just a straight up brutal team this season and sadly it has only just begun...

That said, I could never cheer for another team and the Oilers this bad just makes the NHL far less exciting as whole. From my perspective of course.
Very well said. If going to a message board was driving me away from something I otherwise enjoyed ... I'd quit going to the message board.

The team is very bad. I think a big part of the problem is that the players aren't playing very hard.

A lot of better ways to spend my time, money and energy. I usually go to three or four games a season. Doubt I'll go to one this year. Won't buy any swag either.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 05:25 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Everyone that says they are done and posts in this thread or other threads isn't done.

If you were done you wouldn't spend the time to tell people you are done and continue to post here.
Ya, it's the exact same thing as happened during the lockout

10-31-2013, 05:29 PM
Connor McOilers
We suck.

When according to Eakins he's getting chirped by school children when he drops his daughter off at school

Connor McOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 05:52 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
My breaking point of frustration is when all of a sudden it's a thing for Leafs fans to dump on the Oilers. It's equivalent to, like, the Kansas Cit Chiefs fans dumping on NYG fans now that they're finally a decent team and NYG is in the dumps.

I just went over to look at the GDTs of the Canucks and Leafs game on both boards and HFLeafs has a thread with like 10 pages devoted to how and why the Oilers suck.

I could take that from pretty much any fanbase but when it comes from that of an absolutely pathetic franchise like Toronto or Calgary, it really starts to wear on me.
Our franchise is more pathetic than Toronto's and Calgary's and deserves all of the criticism it gets from fans of other teams.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 06:11 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise Gagner View Post
When according to Eakins he's getting chirped by school children when he drops his daughter off at school
Honestly teachers and principals should tell the parents to tell their kids to not acknowledge what their dads do and to not show up at school.

You could be the kid that ***** himself on more than one occasion in a week, but that would be nothing compared to the kid who's dad works for the Oilers.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 07:11 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiLowe View Post
Uh? Perhaps you should ignore it then?
Pretty hard to ignore when there's a brigade of posters all over the board moaning about how the Oilers done them wrong.
Quote:
Pointless post is pointless.
More to the point, pointless thread is pointless.
Quote:
People have a right to be annoyed, angry, fedup, etc. with this team.
A right? OK ....
Quote:
Perhaps their level of dedication to the Oilers simply surpasses yours?
Doubtful. I think its more likely that their talent for exaggeration surpasses mine.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 07:48 PM
dss97

I didn't see a "becoming a bigger NFL fan as the weeks pass" option, so I won't vote.

The last time my passion for Oilers hockey was this low was the 2004-05 lockout. I remember the first loss after our cup run. I was absolutely furious when we lost that game. Now, I just go on with my day/night when we lose. Whenever I see an Oil trolling thread on the main boards, I don't even care, because most of what is said in those threads about the team is true. We really do suck.

All I can do is hope we turn it around one day.

dss97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 08:07 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
Well i don't even watch the games anymore. Maybe the odd Saturday night. I usually just check the box score on my phone after the game. So i still follow the team, i just don't waste countless hours watching them anymore and it actually feels really liberating because i get to do other things that actually contribute positively to my well-being. As for posting on here, i do it because i like to socialize with other fans and find out if they feel the same way as me about the team. It's also nice to see different opinions and healthy debate. So i guess you could say i'm at a semi breaking point as i don't watch most of the games and i don't buy any Oilers merchandise. Rant over.
This. I am not a fan who jumped on the wagon in 06, i was a fan since 94...which was a sad year. However, these past few years dont have the consistent effort and investment you could witness from the squads of the lean 90s. Those were the squads that could skate and punish anyone. Watch the flames this year and you get an idea.

Thankfully, I am also a Bs fan since i met cam neely, and recently met bergeron and chara and boychuk. They have been my secind team since lemieux officially ended his career with the pens.

Right now i am still a fan of the oilers but i find them uninteresting and lacking of entertanment, so i wont be watching them. They arent entertaining at all. Ive faklen asleep. Its pathetic.

Sorry for typos...getting used to a new tablet.

Also, i was never under illusions that we would make the playoffs this year. I think mact brougt in the right players when he could but this is half a squad. I know he wont be able to turn this team over into a nhl team for another year. This organization is in THAT BAD OF SHAPE. I tried to warn everyone who had been drunk on meaningless pre-season wins. This year will be very tough. I just didnt expect it to be this boring...one of the most boring teams to watch unless their opponents decide to throw their system out the window too.

Last edited by oilinblood: 10-31-2013 at 08:13 PM.
oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 09:25 PM
Roof Daddy

With this team through thick and thin, but man is it getting harder to say that. Had the privilege of becoming a fan during the glory days (85 is the first cup win I can actually remember watching) and so short of the devastation of the Gretzky trade, all I knew was good times as an Oil fan. Then Pocklington went into his desperation mode and tore apart a dynasty in cost saving deals or trades that flat out involved cash. Those times were tough, but there were two things that kept me going:

1) No matter how ugly the result, Doug Weight was an absolute treat to watch. Skill, vision, compete, sometimes even a little nastiness. Don't ever recall the guy taking a night off. Then you see/hear him in an interview and realize how smart and articulate he is. None of our young guys have all those intangibles (Nuge would be closest IMO).

2). Despite being financially handcuffed, Sather always seemed to deal a better player for futures and have them pan out to be just as good or better, or sell off washed up players/prospects before their value became zero(one of the ultimate ones was Marchment, Bonsignore and Kelly for Hamrlik).

That dark period was survivable because we knew we were a financially crippled team in a non-cap era. A true underdog story. We also had a fine evaluator of talent in Sather. While it stung to be that bad, the days of being the last true dynasty weren't that far behind us. Add to that the troubles all Canadian teams were having financially due to the disparity between Canadian and American currency and it was easy to rally around that losing edition of the Oilers as a sense of weathering the storm.

Fast forward to our current team. Waiting lists for season tickets. Nearly par dollar with the US, in a salary cap world, with a billionaire owner willing to spend to the limit. 3 first overall picks that are supposed to provide the level of talent unavailable in trade or free agency. Yet the final product hasn't changed. It would appear there is a major flaw in the evaluation of talent by those in charge of evaluating. Every conceivable position in this organization has seen a firing but one. A man who knows a lot about winning... as a player, yet somehow believes this translates into success as a manager/executive. That man is making it very hard to remain a faithful Oiler fan, but for the time being, I will remain unchanged.

Roof Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 10:52 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Pretty hard to ignore when there's a brigade of posters all over the board moaning about how the Oilers done them wrong. More to the point, pointless thread is pointless.
A right? OK ....
Doubtful. I think its more likely that their talent for exaggeration surpasses mine.
A right, lol.

I got a kick out of that too.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:12 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
Steve Smith or Buchy as head coach would do it for me. Can barely stand them as assistants. wtf was Eakins thinking keeping them on the staff?
He was thinking he actually had a say in this matter, then he talked to Lowe about who he wanted and had to keep these idiots.

I am officially on the edge. I am at Mike York level of apathy. I actually stopped watching altogether for about 2-3 years when he was our best player.

My avatar kinda says it all.

Last edited by Seedling: 10-31-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:45 PM
Jeff Lebowski

There's no option there for me. I'll never cheer for another team, but I'm done watching hockey until this team is sitting in a playoff spot.

Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 12:31 AM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
I won't break. I enjoy watching the train wreck almost as much as the winning. It's fun to joke about how pathetic the team you support is, especially with a fool like Lowe at the top that is so easy to make fun of due to his own actions. We have zero inflence on the course the teams management takes so just gotta sit back and enjoy the show any way you can unless you find something better to do that particular evening (which is getting easier and easier).

That said, I do find it a bit annoying that we continue to sell out every night and have people that actually pay money to be on a season ticket waiting list to watch these losers live. Craziness. They won't get a dime from me until they start to look like a good team again. Still regret going to a game last season.

oobga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 01:15 AM
dnicks17

After surviving a season with Ryan Potulny and Patrick O'Sullivan on the first line, I don't think I have a breaking point.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 01:29 AM
Somnii

I don't have the spare time to bother with too many other teams (barely have the time to watch Oilers games, as is), and a professional sports team playing poorly isn't something that I, personally, am going to get upset over.

For the poll options, the 1st and last options suit me far better than the others. No other team really holds my interest like the Oilers do, and the fan meltdown after every loss is something that I find morbidly fascinating.

Somnii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 05:19 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
After surviving a season with Ryan Potulny and Patrick O'Sullivan on the first line, I don't think I have a breaking point.
lol. and Zack Stortini actually on an NHL roster. man, that was a brutal team. Just gonna follow from afar. check scores. follow the Oilkings alot more closely, which I started about 2 years age anyway.

undivided attention and obsession is gone. still enjoy these boards, tho

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Parch

I'm still going to watch. I wouldn't exactly call that "bleeding copper and blue", but that's the only positive option that doesn't involve abandonment.

Frustrated. Infuriated. Exasperated. Discouraged. But I'm not going to stop watching hockey.

Parch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 02:10 PM
AssistantCaptain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise Gagner View Post
My younger cousin told Kevin lowes daughter that her dad sucks
He was only 10 at the time so I don't know if a big deal should've been made out of it.

AssistantCaptain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
My brothers and I took in a road trip to Washington and Pittsburgh, and had far more fun laughing at our precious losers than we would have had cheering. We also got along with the home crowd in Pittsburgh famously. Washington fans are d-bags.

So I submit for your approval:

Mystery Oilers Theatre 3000.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 04:11 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssistantCaptain View Post
My younger cousin told Kevin lowes daughter that her dad sucks
He was only 10 at the time so I don't know if a big deal should've been made out of it.
Kevin Lowe could probably benefit from people telling him he sucks every once in a while. I don't think he realizes it.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Chooch

If i still post here, i don't have a breaking point. The NFL does get my attention the most out of any sport, though. I guess you can say the Oilers are partially responsible for killing the passion for hockey that i once had.

Last edited by Chooch: 11-01-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 05:13 PM
FunkyChicken
Dishonor for Connor

Well, it's November 1st and we're already out of the playoffs.
If by breaking point you mean interest in the team, mine has already been reached for this year.

FunkyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 07:56 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Wow ... bad entertainment. What a travesty. I hope one day you will be able to recover from the shock of being poorly entertained.

No it doesn't. Fans on this site do not represent the average Oil fan. Not even close.

No, nothing .... keep holding on tightly to your "rights".

Or perhaps the posters posting stuff like that are like ten, and they also cry when their mommy makes them eat all their lima beans.

Precisely. It takes more than a hockey team providing bad entertainment to send me into an emo internet rant.

So now you concur that the some of the statements in this thread have been "over the top"?
That's interesting given the content of the rest of your posts on this topic.

And yeah, my hockey enjoyment has been affected by a bunch of noob fans who think they have the "right" to win every other year. My enjoyment has been affected by a bunch of noob fans who spent the last four years cheering for draft picks. My hockey enjoyment has been affected by a bunch of noob fans who actually believed that assembling a bunch of first overall picks was the way to win. I find all of that far more irritating than bad entertainment.
It's not just entertainment when people emotionally invest into this team over a span of many years. Downplaying people saying they can't be mad at the team because it's a mere "entertainment" is insulting to everyone who is a fan. Just because your fandom barely reaches above "entertainment" level doesn't mean everybody else is automatically regulated to such a casual status. Unlike yourself, most fans are very devoted and passionate and the Oilers are a big part of their lives. They are the ones who have every right to be pissed off.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Stop watching then? If it brings you so much pain then just turn it off.
I've only seen 1 game this year. When MacT came back and then Gagner and RNH were injured to start the season i opted to not buy the center ice pkg.

What are they now, 15 games into the season? I've saved myself a lot of grief up to this point.

All the lockouts have made me a bit numb to missing games and the Oilers aren't exactly bringing me back.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Nic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
It's not just entertainment when people emotionally invest into this team over a span of many years. Downplaying people saying they can't be mad at the team because it's a mere "entertainment" is insulting to everyone who is a fan. Just because your fandom barely reaches above "entertainment" level doesn't mean everybody else is automatically regulated to such a casual status. Unlike yourself, most fans are very devoted and passionate and the Oilers are a big part of their lives. They are the ones who have every right to be pissed off.
This is true. Also, when you make millions of dollars a year, you shouldn't have "off" days (or seasons, in the Oilers case) or ever lack effort. It's completely inexcusable for the amount of money professional athletes make.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that they are human and will make mistakes sometimes and lack effort at certain points, I'm just saying that it is more than fair to hold them to a much higher standard than everybody else who is making far less.

If you're making millions you should have to earn it, end of discussion.

Nic is offline   Reply With Quote