HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

FA Signings, Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IX:

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Nic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Come on.. the Flyers and Oilers are perfect trading partners and both teams are underachieving. Something's got to happen there..
"perfect trading partners"???

The Oilers need an elite goaltender and elite defenders more than anything else and Philly has neither. I'd like a guy like Simmonds same as the rest of us, but he isn't changing this team from a bad one into a good one. Just because both teams are losing does not mean that they are "perfect trading partners:

Old
11-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I'm really not sure what the Flyers have that would significantly help us.
We need to get a mix of grit up front that doesn't just come from our 4th line. They have plenty that would help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic View Post
"perfect trading partners"???

The Oilers need an elite goaltender and elite defenders more than anything else and Philly has neither. I'd like a guy like Simmonds same as the rest of us, but he isn't changing this team from a bad one into a good one. Just because both teams are losing does not mean that they are "perfect trading partners:
Yes, perfect trading partners. Up front we have what they need and they have what we need.

Old
11-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Their group of forwards is overrated, I see little of interest there outside of Simmonds and perhaps B Schenn/Coutourier. D and goaltending (what the Oilers really need) is garbage. I don't see how they're good trading partners at all.

Old
11-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Njoy Oilers

OKC down 6-0. Let's call someone up!!!! #Omarksadface

Old
11-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Their group of forwards is overrated, I see little of interest there outside of Simmonds and perhaps B Schenn/Coutourier. D and goaltending (what the Oilers really need) is garbage. I don't see how they're good trading partners at all.
People act like goaltending and defense is our only need. I hate to break it to you but these soft wimps up front aren't going to cut it either. Simmonds, B. Schenn and Couturier are the only players we should be looking at.

Old
11-01-2013, 09:52 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
People act like goaltending and defense is our only need. I hate to break it to you but these soft wimps up front aren't going to cut it either. Simmonds, B. Schenn and Couturier are the only players we should be looking at.
It's not our only need but it's our biggest need.

It doesn't matter how big your forwards are if your goaltending can't stop anything.

Why do you think the Flyers haven't been champs for 30+ years?

Old
11-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Nic

Quote:
We need to get a mix of grit up front that doesn't just come from our 4th line. They have plenty that would help.

Yes, perfect trading partners. Up front we have what they need and they have what we need.
We're not losing games because of our fourth line. If you said defensive or two way forwards, then sure, that would help. However, I think it's exceedingly obvious that defence and goaltending is a greater concern.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Hey, super random question: who is Andrew Ference's player agent?

I can't find it anywhere

Old
11-01-2013, 10:27 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post

I can't find it anywhere
He represents himself.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:

I can't find it anywhere
Dallas Eakins

Old
11-01-2013, 11:04 PM
duul

Quote:

I can't find it anywhere
Fitness is. Fitness solves everything.

Old
11-01-2013, 11:06 PM
shogun99

I want Cobourn and Hartnell. Hartnell could probably be had for cheap and he's exactly what our top 9 needs.

Old
11-01-2013, 11:08 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Coburn maybe but I'm not sure what Couturier brings us.

Our biggest issue is still between the pipes.
You keep beating this drum but it's obvious that there are many MANY issues beyond just subpar goaltending. Bachman has been good the last 2 games and they still lost and looked pretty listless, what does that tell you?
Philly has a lot of players that the Oilers can use. Simmonds, Couturier, B.Schenn, Hartnell to name a few, don't really understand the lovefest for Coburn though. Just because they don't have a goaltender to offer up, doesn't mean that there isn't a deal to be had between the teams. The Oilers need help everywhere pretty much, goaltending is just one of many needs.

Old
11-01-2013, 11:19 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
You keep beating this drum but it's obvious that there are many MANY issues beyond just subpar goaltending. Bachman has been good the last 2 games and they still lost and looked pretty listless, what does that tell you?
Philly has a lot of players that the Oilers can use. Simmonds, Couturier, B.Schenn, Hartnell to name a few, don't really understand the lovefest for Coburn though. Just because they don't have a goaltender to offer up, doesn't mean that there isn't a deal to be had between the teams. The Oilers need help everywhere pretty much, goaltending is just one of many needs.
Yeah because the Flyers are doing great with all those big bodies.

You need goaltending to win, it doesn't matter how big your team is. Trading for Simmonds (which the Flyers won't do) won't stop the puck from going in the net.

The team has the highest GAA in the league AINEC. So trading for forwards is obviously going to help that, right?

Old
11-01-2013, 11:38 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Yeah because the Flyers are doing great with all those big bodies.

You need goaltending to win, it doesn't matter how big your team is. Trading for Simmonds (which the Flyers won't do) won't stop the puck from going in the net.

The team has the highest GAA in the league AINEC. So trading for forwards is obviously going to help that, right?
Part of the reason why the GA is so high is because the forwards are one dimensional and weak on the puck so a lot of the play winds up being in the defensive zone due to lack of any cycle game and not being able to clear the defensive zone. The Oilers are so easy to play against and some of that has to do with a bad mix up front.

Goaltending is obviously an issue but you act like better goaltending will cure all the Oilers ills. It'll help for sure but it's still not close to a playoff team even with solid goaltending due to the team playing in front of the goalie being such a chaotic mess.

Last edited by CupofOil: 11-01-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old
11-01-2013, 11:48 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Part of the reason that the GA is so high is because the forwards are one dimensional and weak on the puck so a lot of the play winds up being in the defensive zone due to lack of any cycle game and not being able to clear the defensive zone. The Oilers are so easy to play against and some of that has to do with a bad mix up front.

Goaltending is obviously an issue but you act like better goaltending will cure the Oilers ills. It'll help for sure but it's still not close to a playoff team even with solid goaltending due to the team playing in front of the goalie being such a chaotic mess.
But look at some of the teams with the worst GAA.

There's us in 30th, Calgary in 29th (who are bigger than us although not extremely big), 28th Florida (who is a hot mess, I'm not sure how big their forwards are), 27th Phoenix (who have a lot of big forwards and great D), and Buffalo who is... well, Buffalo.

I think there's some, but very little correlation between having a big team up front and GAA.

By the way, Colorado is first in GAA and they're no Chicago, Boston, Philly, LA, etc. Montreal is 5th and they're even smaller than we are.

But goaltending can build confidence too. One of the reasons the Oilers play so sloppily is because they don't have confidence in the guy between the pipes.

It doesn't even have to be Johnathan Quick playing net for us. A decent #1 would work wonders for this team.

Sometimes your goalie has to bail you out because every team makes mistakes. Bachman in one game is the only goalie who's done that so far. That's a very large reason we're sitting last in the west.

Old
11-01-2013, 11:55 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
But look at some of the teams with the worst GAA.

There's us in 30th, Calgary in 29th (who are bigger than us although not extremely big), 28th Florida (who is a hot mess, I'm not sure how big their forwards are), 27th Phoenix (who have a lot of big forwards and great D), and Buffalo who is... well, Buffalo.

I think there's some, but very little correlation between having a big team up front and GAA.

By the way, Colorado is first in GAA and they're no Chicago, Boston, Philly, LA, etc. Montreal is 5th and they're even smaller than we are.

But goaltending can build confidence too. One of the reasons the Oilers play so sloppily is because they don't have confidence in the guy between the pipes.

It doesn't even have to be Johnathan Quick playing net for us. A decent #1 would work wonders for this team.

Sometimes your goalie has to bail you out because every team makes mistakes. Bachman in one game is the only goalie who's done that so far. That's a very large reason we're sitting last in the west.
It's only one of many reasons why the Oilers are last in the west. As I said before, they had good goaltending and still lost the last 2 games.
I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying but my point is that the Oilers need more than just a goaltender to fix this mess.

You dismissed any possible dealings with Philly just because they don't have a goaltender but the fact remains that they have some players that the Oilers can really use and with Holmgren looking for a shakeup of some sort to save his job, it's a prime opportunity for MacT to pounce.
The goaltending will have to be addressed as well of course but it's just one of many issues that ails this team.

Old
11-02-2013, 12:01 AM
GreatKeith

Quote:
It's only one of many reasons why the Oilers are last in the west. As I said before, they had good goaltending and still lost the last 2 games.
I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying but my point is that the Oilers need more than just a goaltender to fix this mess.

You dismissed any possible dealings with Philly just because they don't have a goaltender but the fact remains that they have some players that the Oilers can really use and with Holmgren looking for a shakeup of some sort to save his job, it's a prime opportunity for MacT to pounce.
The goaltending will have to be addressed as well of course but it's just one of many issues that ails this team.
I agree with this point. I just think that the first deal they should make is for a good goalie. Build from the net out, as they say.

And honestly, not a lot of what Philly has appeals to me. Simmonds would be a great add but fat chance Philly gets rid of him. If we can bend Holmgren over then go for it...

The things Philly fans say about Coburn raise a few red flags too.

Old
11-02-2013, 12:09 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
I agree with this point. I just think that the first deal they should make is for a good goalie. Build from the net out, as they say.

And honestly, not a lot of what Philly has appeals to me. Simmonds would be a great add but fat chance Philly gets rid of him. If we can bend Holmgren over then go for it...

The things Philly fans say about Coburn raise a few red flags too.
Agreed on Coburn, he's just more of what we already have but Simmonds, B.Schenn, Couturier or even Hartnell are all players that would be great additions for us and really balance out the forward group. Having balance that would not only diversify the forward group but also create space for the skilled guys would make a world of difference.

Old
11-02-2013, 01:21 AM
Shanahanigans

I've always wanted Brayden Schenn on the Oilers. He plays physical, especially when the going gets tough. He's not afraid to drop the gloves. He's one of those players who'll help change the culture of the dressing room from one of timidness (seeing how they play now) to one of pride. I love his gritty play, and his ability to throw huge hits.

On that note, Couturier may be more skilled than Schenn, but he is pretty soft for a big player. Simmonds is also a top 9 player we need, but I doubt Philly gives him up. Hartnell is a pipe dream, IMO. That being said, he's always been one of my favorite NHL players, purely because of his style.

Old
11-02-2013, 02:07 AM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It's not our only need but it's our biggest need.

It doesn't matter how big your forwards are if your goaltending can't stop anything.

Why do you think the Flyers haven't been champs for 30+ years?
Yes, but Mact has already gone shopping for a goaltender and the price is simply not worth it so that will have to be put off for now unless it gets back to how bad it was at the start of the year. And get this.. of all things that have gone wrong for the Flyers, there fans were actually saying Mason and Emery were the only bright spots at the beginning of the year, They were still losing.

Last edited by Joey Moss: 11-02-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old
11-02-2013, 02:11 AM
shoop

I now agree that goaltending is no longer our number one need. Which may be why Sunday might be a great day for MacT to strike a deal for a 1A goalie.

Another strong outing by Bachman and the Oilers no longer are desperate to add a goalie. Therefore the price for a 1A type drops dramatically as the Oilers no longer have to look for a saviour in net.

Maybe Fasth is ready to play relatively quickly and the Ducks are looking for D prospects?

Old
11-02-2013, 02:29 AM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
I now agree that goaltending is no longer our number one need. Which may be why Sunday might be a great day for MacT to strike a deal for a 1A goalie.

Another strong outing by Bachman and the Oilers no longer are desperate to add a goalie. Therefore the price for a 1A type drops dramatically as the Oilers no longer have to look for a saviour in net.

Maybe Fasth is ready to play relatively quickly and the Ducks are looking for D prospects?
I don't even think the Oilers are that desperate as is. Bachman playing well will just bump Barbs down. Dubnyk is the #1 no matter what, and right now he is playing just fine. If he gets back to his old issues of letting in pathetic, deflating goals then we're back to square one but right now it isn't an issue. The issue is how easy this team is to play against from what I've watched recently. They are literally being bullied on the ice.

The price point of Anaheim's goalies doesn't matter anyways. I bet the Ducks are more desperate to get something for Hiller than we are to give something for him. They're losing him no matter what and with the goalie market the way it is right now there aren't many teams (if any at all other than us kind of) looking for goaltenders so if Anaheim even gets a call on Hiller they should be considering just about anything. Plus, Anderson is playing well right now and I don't think they'd be hesitant to do something this early in the season for that reason. If Fasth gets injured again they know Anderson is capable of taking over.

Old
11-02-2013, 05:08 AM
Quinteoilers

A deal with Philly wouldn't be bad to fix the forwards.(the usual names) goaltending might be fixed by trading with Ottawa. Klefbom for Robin Lenher (sp) straight across. Go with Lenher and dubnyk for the rest of the year.

Old
11-02-2013, 06:15 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Agreed on Coburn, he's just more of what we already have but Simmonds, B.Schenn, Couturier or even Hartnell are all players that would be great additions for us and really balance out the forward group. Having balance that would not only diversify the forward group but also create space for the skilled guys would make a world of difference.
I like all these players, but what is a realistic price to pay for guys like this?

Simmonds for example I have always felt gets overrated as a hockey player because of his physical game. He is not particularly great at any other aspect of the game outside of hitting. What I do not think he is some sort of cure for the defensive issues that ail the Oilers.

Not that +/- means that much but he has only been a plus player one year in his career despite playing on teams that have generally had significantly positive goal differentials. In 2011-2012 when he had his big year with the Flyers he was the only player in the top 10 scoring on their team that was a minus. And this was not because he got particularly difficult assignments.

Trading Yakupov for players like these is a huge risk. It also does not work out capwise. So who do you trade that Philly may want?

Closed Thread