HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hitting and the D

Old
12-15-2006, 12:23 AM
bmoak

vCash: 500
Hitting and the D

I keep seeing threads about how the D is as soft as butter and the Rangers absolutely need to add another physical blueliner.

I thought I'd total up the hits from nhl.com to see what I could find.

RANGERS

Tyutin: 77
Ward: 73
Rozsival: 41
Kasparaitus: 31
Rachunek: 29
Malik: 21
Ozolinsh: 17
Pock: 3

Total: 266

How about the conference leaders, who many here agree should be the new model for an NHL franchise?

SABRES

Spacek: 43
Lydman: 42
Campbell: 29
Kalinin: 23
Numminen: 16
Paetsch: 13
Funk: 2
Tallinder: 2
Card: 0
Sekera: 0

TOTAL: 168

How about our swamp-dwelling neighbors, well-known for their defensive play?

DEVILS

White:70
Lukowich: 34
Rafalski: 23
Oduya: 21
Martin: 18
Hale: 17
Fahey: 8
Brooks: 4

TOTAL: 191

And the third division leader, well-known for their hard-hitting blueliners.

THRASHERS:

Vishnevsky: 86
Hnidy: 34
Exelby: 33
Sutton: 26
DeVries: 22
McCarthy: 21
Havelid: 17
Coburn: 10
Popovic: 2

TOTAL: 251

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 12:57 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Who has said the D has been soft as butter? Whoever said that hasn't been watching the games. Toots and Ward throw a number of nice hits a game. And now with Kaspar back that's 3 players hitting almost everything in site. Rosy has been hitting more then last season which is also nice. Hell..even Malik is averaging ALMOST a hit a game! (a career high for him i think).

Whoever thinks the D is soft is only saying that because we don't have a huge bone crunching player who goes out to try to give a concussion out in open ice every time hes out (think Stevens).

Last year we were soft on D...this year? No way.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 01:19 AM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
I am surprised Exelby only has 33 hits. I guess his hits are so devastating that it takes a lot out of him. Maybe he makes them count.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 01:22 AM
Pizza

Good thread and point b. Nice stats.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 01:51 AM
nyr7andcounting

official hits are also kind of misleading sometimes. You have to watch the game to get a feel of how physical a team played.

And when people talk about soft it's not just straight body checks in open ice. It also means not moving forwards from the front of our net, not getting body position, etc. There's a lot more to being physical than the NHL hits stat.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 02:26 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

man is darius climbing that list fast!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 03:09 AM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting View Post
official hits are also kind of misleading sometimes. You have to watch the game to get a feel of how physical a team played.
Very well said. As with most things in life, quantity does not equal quality. A Straka hit for example is very diffent from one delivered by Hollweg. But I don't think lack of hitting is our D's biggest problem. Poor positioning, mishandling the puck, and lack of speed are the things that usually get them into trouble. You'll have to bring in a guy who can log solid minutes under pressure if this team wants to go far in the playoffs.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 03:26 AM
dkich96

Nice thread... Speaking of hits, how about Karl's hit on Lindros before his short handed goal!

dkich96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 03:36 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

IMO, biggest Rangers D problem is breakout and the turnovers off of it.

Corto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 07:52 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
IMO, biggest Rangers D problem is breakout and the turnovers off of it.
Bingo! Well that was the problem early on in the season, especially against Buffalo, it seems like now they are getting much better on the first pass out of the zone and the rush up the ice. I can think of atleast two goals in the past few games that the Rangers have scored off the turnover in the defensive zone. So they are getting better, by no means are they perfect but little by little the team if finding what works and they seem to be sticking to their plan fairly well. Early on people critisized them of being soft for lack of hitting, but I think now the soft critisizm applys to sticking up for players or lack there of, thats the new argument. But that is the team as a whole, not just the D.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 08:20 AM
shoothepuck

Good stats. Quality hits, ala Rachuneks last night, lead to goals. Bad positional play and poor first passing is this D's downfall

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 11:48 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Their slowly getting there...last night they were not soft. However...there is not one guy on our D who would ever step up if one of our guys got run. You don't need to be a fighter you need to be a tough team player to do that and not one man on our D would. They also have tons of problems clearing guys from the front of the net. The Stars must have taken anywhere from 10-20 extra hacks at Lundqvist last night

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 11:54 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Toots has been a monster for us in the hitting department so far. He throws one huge hip check a game, I love it. I'm amazed he hasn't injured anyone so far the way he is throwing them.

Ward beats up on anyone he sees. He takes some penalties for it, but I think overall the effect is beneficial. Last night he got away with punching a player to the ice. Plays like that keep the other teams offense on their toes and out of their comfort zone.

Kaspar is kaspar, we all know what he brings.

And Rachunek is starting to throw his body around nicely, as is Roszival.

Overall I don't think our problem is hitting on defense at all. And when you look at their progress over the season, we are playing MUCH better defense overall. If we keep this trend up, I expect any remaining defensive woes to clear up shortly. THink positive

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 11:55 AM
JerseyRangers

I agree with whoever said the biggest problem is lack of quickness. Its really easy to turn the corner on our d men and drive to the net. As to the soft comment, although the d isn't soft, my biggest complaint is that we don't protect the crease like other teams do. In the corners we are fine. Also, Toots is good for one solid hip check a game. Last nites hit in the 3rd was a thing of beauty. After a shaky start Toots has quietly become our best defensman this season. Can't wait to see a future pairing of Toots and Staal. That could well be our shutdown pairing in the near future.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 12:09 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Toots has been a monster for us in the hitting department so far. He throws one huge hip check a game, I love it. I'm amazed he hasn't injured anyone so far the way he is throwing them.
Ward beats up on anyone he sees. He takes some penalties for it, but I think overall the effect is beneficial. Last night he got away with punching a player to the ice. Plays like that keep the other teams offense on their toes and out of their comfort zone.

Kaspar is kaspar, we all know what he brings.

And Rachunek is starting to throw his body around nicely, as is Roszival.

Overall I don't think our problem is hitting on defense at all. And when you look at their progress over the season, we are playing MUCH better defense overall. If we keep this trend up, I expect any remaining defensive woes to clear up shortly. THink positive
He hasn't injured anyone because he knows how to throw them correctly. Doesn't go too low on the player and hits them right at the hip for a perfect hip check.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote