HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Homer's last 3 major moves.

Old
11-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
You are engaging in innuendo....I find it odd as well. You can put it out there just as others I suppose when they speculate...that's all I'm pointing out
I'm not engaging in innuendo. I just think it's unfair that, if you're going to go on about the rumors, that Pronger gets left out of the equation and is given a pass.

11-01-2013, 03:47 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm not engaging in innuendo. I just think it's unfair that, if you're going to go on about the rumors, that Pronger gets left out of the equation and is given a pass.
It's all a matter of perspective..what is interpreted as purely unfounded rumor from your POV may not be to some others and vice versa or reversa as my dad says in his Italian accent.

Pronger has his history but the innuendo that he was the real problem like some try to push with their narrative is something I personally don't agree with. It absolves Carter and Richards of any responsibility in them being traded and they do bear a lot of it..some of it maybe not fair but some valid as well.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
It's all a matter of perspective..what is interpreted as purely unfounded rumor from your POV may not be to some others and vice versa or reversa as my dad says in his Italian accent.

Pronger has his history but the innuendo that he was the real problem like some try to push with their narrative is something I personally don't agree with. It absolves Carter and Richards of any responsibility in them being traded and they do bear a lot of it..some of it maybe not fair but some valid as well.
I personally think the rumored stuff was blown completely out of proportion by a sensationalist media, and hockey reasons were the main factors. The fact that the trades happened to address several issues at once is too convenient for me. It's also the only thing that's truly certain; certainly more certain than the tale my cousin told me of his girlfriend's sister's bar manager knowing another bar manager who claimed he saw Richards and Carter doing stuff once. There's way too much telephone-game embellishment with rumors for them to be reliable.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 04:53 PM
moosehead81

Quote:
Again with the Carter and Richards revisionism.

I've been following the Flyers since the mid 80's and never have I seen such a polarizing debate over 2 Flyers..not even with Propp and Poulin when they were traded. Those two were much better players and had way more character and integrity off the ice than Carter and Richards and yet the debate when those two were individually traded was that Clarke held on to them too long and even worse got diminished returns as a result which ultimately set up the team for 5 years of futility.
Well, in the case of Richards, not so much Carter, it still irks me no end that, after a Stanley Cup final and a next year loss to the eventual Stanley Cup winner, "they" traded away our captain; that the two of them went on to Stanley Cups and conference finals and the resulting Flyers still are wallowing in mediocrity or worse. That they had signed long term, home discount deals with the expectation that they'd be Flyers for life and yet were booted to the sidewalk without any warning. That these two players are prime contenders for this year's Olympic team and not one player who came back in the deal (except maybe Voracek) will ever be Olympic contenders. That the recent moaning and groaning on this site about Simmonds, Schenn and Couturier and their lack of productivity is so disheartening.

And, trust me, Richards and Carter had nothing on Propp and Poulin when they were young- it was a different time and people weren't carrying cameras with world wide access at the time Propp and Poulin may have been carrying on in the late 70s' early 80s'. And what makes you so definitive as to be able to compare character and integrity of players from different generations?

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 09:41 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Well one thing for sure not much good has come since the initial year of the trade..or at least Holmgren hasn't built on it properly at all. Time for him to step down..same with Snider. Maybe Snider can learn from what the Sixers are doing....sad state of affairs right now...very sad!

Old
11-01-2013, 10:11 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400
Quote:
Well one thing for sure not much good has come since the initial year of the trade..or at least Holmgren hasn't built on it properly at all. Time for him to step down..same with Snider. Maybe Snider can learn from what the Sixers are doing....sad state of affairs right now...very sad!
winning?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 10:32 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
winning?

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 12:43 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Homer had the vision to fix Clarke's problems. I don't know if he has the vision to fix his own.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 12:51 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Right now the biggest move Holmgren has made is probably a bowel movement....

Old
11-02-2013, 12:53 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Homer had the vision to fix Clarke's problems. I don't know if he has the vision to fix his own.
Part of the reason we've been going nowhere fast is because he's been too busy correcting his own problems over, over and over.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I can argue what you mean by "in a row" and "moves" because of the offseason signings and the Giroux extension as well but regardless, I feel strongly that Holmgren has brought in the pieces to win...they just haven't meshed together for whatever reason.
If they haven't meshed, are they really the right pieces? That' a GM's job, to build a functional team. Anybody can trade to try and maximize the net amount of talent on the team, the pieces need to work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Homer is a much better GM than many on here realize! He has the balls to go with his instincts whether others like it or not. He is not perfect, and gets burned like every other GM will at times, but i admire his overall body of work and the way he represents the Philadelphia Flyers organization. Its so easy to criticize those who are in the arena from a vantage point of being someone who has no idea what its like to be in the arena and whom is not accountable for anything substantial involving the team ? Go Flyers !
Having the balls to go with your instincts isn't that big an asset when your instincts are ****ed half the time. And disregarding outside opinion, again isn't that awesome when you probably could use someone in your ear saying things like "No, you retard. Schenn is not a top pairing defenseman, don't trade JVR for him" or "Don't pay Bryz 50 million, we already have a better goalie on the roster that you don't want to end up trading away from a 2nd rounder".....

Holmgren sucks.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote