HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Holmgren Deserves to get Fired

Old
10-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Jumping

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
To fire the GM after you just fired the coach looks even worse than firing the coach after less than a week of the season
Looking bad has never stopped Mr. Snider.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 09:17 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
I never said that. He gets his fair share of bad credit with the Bob trade and his annual over payments to trash like Shelley and Rosehill.

People pissed and moaned that Lavi was still the coach with each passing L.

They get their wish and when things don't magically change overnight they go looking for the next person to run out of town.

I'm just looking for anybodies reasoning how letting Homer go improves us immediately in the short term.
I don't think it improves the team in the short term, but if Hextall is going to replace him at the end of the season then Holmgren shouldn't have the power to make a whole bunch of desperate moves between now and then.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 09:54 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
I never said that. He gets his fair share of bad credit with the Bob trade and his annual over payments to trash like Shelley and Rosehill.

People pissed and moaned that Lavi was still the coach with each passing L.

They get their wish and when things don't magically change overnight they go looking for the next person to run out of town.

I'm just looking for anybodies reasoning how letting Homer go improves us immediately in the short term.
GMs get fired when things dont go well in sports sometimes. He built this team. he acquired just about everyone on this team. Bobby Clarke brought in some damn good players here and in the end he didnt get it done and bringing a Cup here. Was it all his fault? no but he "stepped aside" and Holmgren took over to see if he could get it done. He hasnt and by the looks of things they are going in the wrong direction.

EDIT: And announcing that Pronger will never play again was just a dumb things to say. Sure everyone knows it, but announcing it? stupid.

Last edited by GoneFullHolmgren: 10-16-2013 at 10:26 AM.
GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 11:25 AM
buff

Flyers are build to be spectacular, to score many goals and to play hard. They are not build to play defencively like they try to do since last year. Look the Maple Leafs! The Flyers have the same kind of talent. Giroux, Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds, Read + Hartnell and Vinny all can score 20 goals + years. This team lost his soul when the coaches begin the transition for a boring defencive team.

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 03:57 PM
jabba2
Just say no to Clowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by buff View Post
Flyers are build to be spectacular, to score many goals and to play hard. They are not build to play defencively like they try to do since last year. Look the Maple Leafs! The Flyers have the same kind of talent. Giroux, Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds, Read + Hartnell and Vinny all can score 20 goals + years. This team lost his soul when the coaches begin the transition for a boring defencive team.
Something was off in the Devils series that year. I always figured teams started playing us the same way NJ did, and that mainly explains the total shutdown of offense.

jabba2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 04:21 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Holmgren deserves to have significant heat under his seat. When he was hired, he and Snider sat there and said that they weren't into quick fixes and that they were going to build things right. Yet every year, Holmgren made significant whole sale changes. The wheeling and dealing just never stopped. To add to it, he never filled the leadership void when Richards was moved and Pronger retired.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 11:07 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Holmgren hopes Flyers hit rock bottom in rout

Holmgren leads all GM's hands down in career locker room interventions...it's beyond ridiculous anymore...

Quote:
It got so bad, general manager Paul Holmgren left his suite high atop the Wells Fargo Center after the second period to address the Flyers himself.
Well deserved....this man does not know how to assemble a team anymore. It's been one big melodramatic mess after another...

Quote:
The Flyers, obviously, are frustrated. The coaches are frustrated. The general manager himself is, too.

But no one has taken the Flyers’ rough start harder than the fans. To that end, before the second period had even come to a conclusion, “Fire Holmgren” chants rang out loud enough for the GM to hear. When the horn sounded to kick off the second intermission, loud boos filled the Wells Fargo Center.

Holmgren understands where it’s coming from.

“I can’t blame the fans,” he said. “We’re as frustrated as they are. If I was sitting in the stands, I’m not sure I’d be chanting, but I might be thinking the same thing. It’s part of the business.”
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...ck-bottom-rout

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 11:23 PM
MrHockey1982

I'm finally on board with this. No more excuses for Homer. This team is a joke.

MrHockey1982 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 11:35 PM
David71

time to be given the pink slips.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 11:44 PM
David71

signing richards/carter to longterm deals and saying they will be "flyers for life" then trading them. but they got good pieces back. voracek/schenn/sean coutuiere

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 12:18 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
signing richards/carter to longterm deals and saying they will be "flyers for life" then trading them. but they got good pieces back. voracek/schenn/sean coutuiere
I...I don't quite understand. Are you just reiterating what happened?

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 12:36 AM
3Fs

One day Homer is great and then the next day he needs to get fired. Its garbage like this that remind me of Pittsburgh fans.

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 04:03 PM
FrankM95149
Rakim is GOAT

I think Holmgrem has to go. He has had some good moves, but too many bad ones IMO. I would have liked to see us sign ROb Scuderi instead of Mark Streit. The Bobrovsky trade was bad, but NOBODY saw Bobrovsky's big year coming. But they should have been more patient with him. Coburn and Carle both had a few good years here, but both just fell off. Not sure what happened. I'd like to bring up Oliver Lauridsen soon, Mez is really struggling. Andanother problem is finding ways to justify having a guy like Jay ROsehill in the on the NHL roster let alone in the starting line up. Tye McGinn isnt and never will be a superstar, but he should be a solid 3rd/4th line guy in years to come. No way Jay Rosehill should be in the lineup over him. But of course, we are the "BroadStreet Bullies" so we will always have to have the scrub who can only fight. :rollseyes:

"We don't need a culture change."

FrankM95149 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 04:46 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

I want homer to fire the last 3 years! So iīam not like pens fans!

A lot of peoples on here have seen a lot in Bob. And a lot of peoples have said, that he will be a starter in this league! That he win the Vezina was a fluke, but nevertheless i have said it and i will say it every season again:

Homer isnīt a good GM. With his good scouting team and the money of Snider he can buy a team which is competing good in the league but he canīt build a contender! He isnīt patienced. He isnīt loyal to players. He is a horrible cap manager. He isnīt good when it comes to look in the future before signing high salaries.

He donīt know the rules of this leagues!! +35 rule.....

He deserves to go!!!

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 05:06 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post
I want homer to fire the last 3 years! So iīam not like pens fans!

A lot of peoples on here have seen a lot in Bob. And a lot of peoples have said, that he will be a starter in this league! That he win the Vezina was a fluke, but nevertheless i have said it and i will say it every season again:

Homer isnīt a good GM. With his good scouting team and the money of Snider he can buy a team which is competing good in the league but he canīt build a contender! He isnīt patienced. He isnīt loyal to players. He is a horrible cap manager. He isnīt good when it comes to look in the future before signing high salaries.

He donīt know the rules of this leagues!! +35 rule.....

He deserves to go!!!
Homer is better than a lot of GMs. (My opinion just as valid as yours)

He has put together a team talented enough to compete in this league, at some point it's the responsibility of the guy with the puck on his stick.

Can't build a contender? The Flyers have contended plenty over Holmgrens tenure.

Is spending to the cap considered being a horrible cap manager. Hey, you remember in 2010 when Capspace scored all those goals? That was awesome.... Will he still be terrible at cap management next year when the team has (depending on the cap rising) 8-12 million in space? This team could create 20 million in cap space in the blink of an eye.

Holmgren doesn't care about the 35+ rule, NMC/NTC, cap, etc... because he knows there are ways around just about everything. I'm a fan of improving the team if a better option exists at GM, but to make a change just to do it? No thanks.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 05:44 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 2146
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post

He has put together a team talented enough to compete in this league, at some point it's the responsibility of the guy with the puck on his stick.

Can't build a contender? The Flyers have contended plenty over Holmgrens tenure.

Is spending to the cap considered being a horrible cap manager. Hey, you remember in 2010 when Capspace scored all those goals? That was awesome.... Will he still be terrible at cap management next year when the team has (depending on the cap rising) 8-12 million in space? This team could create 20 million in cap space in the blink of an eye.

Holmgren doesn't care about the 35+ rule, NMC/NTC, cap, etc... because he knows there are ways around just about everything. I'm a fan of improving the team if a better option exists at GM, but to make a change just to do it? No thanks.
For the past two season he's failed to put together anything resembling a decent defensive corp.

whatthef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Many of his practices that people predicted would be untenable in the long term have indeed proven untenable.

11-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
For the past two season he's failed to put together anything resembling a decent defensive corp.
You say that as if it would be easy to fix that without making another aspect of the team weak. The only way you're going to get a very good and balanced team is through the draft and they've shown over the past couple of years that they're able to be patient and not trade their picks and to get some good prospects so that this hopefully isn't a problem in the future.

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:59 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 2146
I didn't say it would be easy, and the point isn't just the defense isn't elite it's that it's one of the worst in the league. Even on paper it's a defensive unit that looks like you would maybe get an 7th or 8th seed with, and it's proven to be even worse than that. I don't see a defensemen on this roster who would currently be anything more than a number 3 defenseman on a good team. If this team was rebuilding that's fine, but Homer thinks this team is capable of competing for a Cup and it isn't. Which is a big reason why I don't trust his judgement anymore. Making a trade might make some other area weaker (not weak persay just not as strong as other wise). We're supposedly deep at forward so wouldn't it make sense to use that to make a trade and upgrade the defense? Although that's might be pretty hard since it seems like Homer isn't capable of signing a player with out giving them a NTC or NMC.

whatthef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 09:30 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Many of his practices that people predicted would be untenable in the long term have indeed proven untenable.
I am now expressing my displeasure with the aforementioned curious decisions.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 09:38 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM95149 View Post
I think Holmgrem has to go. He has had some good moves, but too many bad ones IMO. I would have liked to see us sign ROb Scuderi instead of Mark Streit. The Bobrovsky trade was bad, but NOBODY saw Bobrovsky's big year coming. But they should have been more patient with him. Coburn and Carle both had a few good years here, but both just fell off. Not sure what happened. I'd like to bring up Oliver Lauridsen soon, Mez is really struggling. Andanother problem is finding ways to justify having a guy like Jay ROsehill in the on the NHL roster let alone in the starting line up. Tye McGinn isnt and never will be a superstar, but he should be a solid 3rd/4th line guy in years to come. No way Jay Rosehill should be in the lineup over him. But of course, we are the "BroadStreet Bullies" so we will always have to have the scrub who can only fight. :rollseyes:

"We don't need a culture change."
I don't like Streit's contract but he's been pretty good so far & it would show a little more on the stat sheet if this team had a pulse offensively right now. As for Scuderi, we already have what he brings in Coburn, Grossmann, & Schenn. Comparing the two of them is like apples & oranges.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 05:47 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post

Heard that for years. When you turn over half the roster every year, it kind of rings hollow.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 09:37 AM
JustJim

Holmgren deserves to be fired.....

for allowing and agreeing to a NMC for Scott Hartnell, as well as Hartnell's long, over-priced contract. Hartnell would have trouble playing in the ECHL, but thanks to Holmgren's stupidity, he'll be suiting up as a Flyer for the remainder of his NHL career.
Knowing the Flyers like I do, Hartnell will probably extend his post-playing career with the Flyers in some sort of capacity ( scout, coach, public relations, announcer, etc)

JustJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 09:45 AM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJim View Post
for allowing and agreeing to a NMC for Scott Hartnell, as well as Hartnell's long, over-priced contract. Hartnell would have trouble playing in the ECHL, but thanks to Holmgren's stupidity, he'll be suiting up as a Flyer for the remainder of his NHL career.
Knowing the Flyers like I do, Hartnell will probably extend his post-playing career with the Flyers in some sort of capacity ( scout, coach, public relations, announcer, etc)
Sensational! As in, this is one of the most sensationally insane things I've ever read. ECHL? Come on.

Old
11-05-2013, 09:51 AM
Appleyard

vCash: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJim View Post
The NHLPA were extremely upset with Hartnell for signing that deal as they considered it weakened their position as he did not ask for more, as his previous 8 seasons in the NHL he had been 45-50 point plus player, and 9 of the 11 years in the NHL he had been in that range or above. The limited NMC for a 30 year old with almost 500 career points, an A on his chest and 5 years on the same team was also quite in line with what a lot of other teams do.

Frankly he had been one of the most consistent point producing wingers in the NHL in those ten years, and also brought a lot more to the table that just points. Even without the 67 point year he was getting that money.

Has he been disappointing since the contract?

Yes. Extremely, since his injury last year he has looked a different player.

But the contract when given was fair, I remember most people on here were very happy with it. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote