HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unsung hero - Malik

Old
12-14-2006, 05:42 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
What has he done well? What has he brought to the table? Being just average? Being just average is not playing well, its a sad excuse...hoping for mediocrity from one of our more important players at D, who is paid like one too, is a shame.

Now Roszival, I hated him last year. The stupid penalties, the dumb giveaways, and the sleepwalking through games just like his friend big giant. I came into this year disliking him and worrying the same play was going to carry over. Now, I can readily admit Roszival has proved me wrong. He's playing spotless hockey and has become one of three steady guys on the backend with Tyutin and Ward. The latter who is slowly earning some negative criticisms with inconsistent play.
I think you are a bit unfair. There is a ton of D's out there in the NHL right now who are getting exposed on a game by game basis. Allot of them from last year don't have a job this year.

How many goals against have Malik been out there on the last 20 games and how many minutes have he played?

Beeing invisible is a good grade for a D these days. Malik are holding his own and moves the puck well 9/10 times. He does make misstakes and we have to adopt our game some when he is on the ice so that he won't get exposed, which isn't good, but beeing just averege doesn't mean that you are dooing OK by the old standards, beeing averege these days means that you are having allot of trouble.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
wow you're just full of great insight..

you lost credability trying and justify malik as a top pairing defenseman
How does one lose credibility trying to justify someone whose been played on the top line by 2... not one, 2... coaches who have far far greater hockey minds than you do. If you have a problem with it, your problem is with Tom Renney and Marc Crawford, not me. I don't pretend to know more than them (you know, guys who have coached World Champion teams and Stanley Cup teams).

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 06:01 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
coaches who have far far greater hockey minds than you do.
you'd be surprised...

TWITTER
@draftbuzzhockey
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 02:47 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
So Malik is bashed because he's slow and can't skate, but signing Jason Allison is a good idea?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 05:10 AM
Raistlin1022

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
I find it quite humourous that we've got two guys in here trying to argue for who's made contributions to the Rangers success by taking a purely statistical approach.

You're arguing with fans that actually WATCH the games and KNOW what is going on.

Give me a break, gentleman.
Yes, I agree I don't watch the Rangers, I get off work at 7 on the westcoast, I have the .500 canucks to watch at home along with 28 other teams available on cable. FYI, I do watch games and know what goes on. I look at the stats by default...

He was never intended to be a top 2 guy....he's too slow to be that....but he's a solid top 4. I don't know how he played the first fifteen games, I'll take everyone's word that he played terrible. say tonight, he's a +1 again without the help of the top line as some of you insisted. He is second in icetime, behind Rosival...he's on the POSITIVE side of the ledger 12 out of the last 13 games!! Its not luck folks, he's been like that for the last 4 years. When a guy like Malik does something right, no one will pay attention...but every mistake he makes gets magnified.

He IS a steadying influence on D with GREAT reach and plays with 0 physicality (which is not necessary, ask Lidstrom) <---that is who he is, that is what the GM paid for him to do, to be an asset on the ice, which he fulfills. Don't expect speed, don't expect flair, don't expect bone crunching hits, expect efficiency, expect defence. He's not friggin Ovechkin. He is Unsung.

Stats don't mean everything, but it sure means a whole lot when I worked in the arbitration office in T.O., trust me, Malik is a guy that you'll look back on and realize that he is a contributor, interestingly....much to your surprise.

Raistlin1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 07:06 AM
Hockey MD

Send a message via AIM to Hockey MD
Malik has not been playing better. Rosivals better play is the cause of the illusion. Malik still can not handle the puck, is prone to turnovers and does not use his size. Rosival is making Malik look good.

Edit: And he is slow

Hockey MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 08:21 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin1022 View Post
He was never intended to be a top 2 guy....he's too slow to be that....but he's a solid top 4. I don't know how he played the first fifteen games, I'll take everyone's word that he played terrible. say tonight, he's a +1 again without the help of the top line as some of you insisted. He is second in icetime, behind Rosival...he's on the POSITIVE side of the ledger 12 out of the last 13 games!! Its not luck folks, he's been like that for the last 4 years. When a guy like Malik does something right, no one will pay attention...but every mistake he makes gets magnified.

He IS a steadying influence on D with GREAT reach and plays with 0 physicality (which is not necessary, ask Lidstrom) <---that is who he is, that is what the GM paid for him to do, to be an asset on the ice, which he fulfills. Don't expect speed, don't expect flair, don't expect bone crunching hits, expect efficiency, expect defence. He's not friggin Ovechkin. He is Unsung.
Let's not go crazy here. Malik has had a few decent games. The first 30, he spent being absolutely woefull. Playing at a #7 defenseman level. And last night showed again, why he is so pitifull in today's NHL. He stops skating and allows the opposing team's forwards to blow by him as if he is a tree. Were it not for Henke, his +/- would have been negative last night. No one every said that he needs to be physical to be good. He got his due last year, but this year his biggest fight has been with Ozolinsh to see who is the worst defenseman on the team. A few "decent" games does not change that.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 09:06 AM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin1022 View Post
Yes, I agree I don't watch the Rangers, I get off work at 7 on the westcoast, I have the .500 canucks to watch at home along with 28 other teams available on cable. FYI, I do watch games and know what goes on. I look at the stats by default...

Stats don't mean everything, but it sure means a whole lot when I worked in the arbitration office in T.O., trust me, Malik is a guy that you'll look back on and realize that he is a contributor, interestingly....much to your surprise.
Well, I'm happy that you've worked in the arbitration office, because that suddenly gives you the credibility necessary to tell us all that Malik is an unsung hero based upon his +/-.

No one expected speed, no one expected grit, no one expected anything of Malik when he came here. Everybody thought we overpaid, and everybody thought he was a 5th or 6th piece of ****.

He played above expectations last year and was a solid 4th defenseman. This year he's played like a teetering 7th defenseman.

He's played less minutes per game than Sandis Ozolinsh, which speaks miles more than anything you've brought to the table.

His +1 last night came on a shorthanded goal where he contributed NOTHING. Karel Rachunek ran Lindros through the boards, wrapped the puck to Shanahan and then charged up the ice with Hall to score.

You're right he's not quick, nor is he physical, but he relies on his reach far too much. He plays the puck and not the man EVERY single time, gets beat then puts his stick out to stop the man going around him.

He can't receive a pass. Case and point the play last night where Roszival simply fed it back to him at the blueline, it tipped off his stick dribbled through his skates and the Dallas player grabs it to go in for a semi-break. Lundqvist stopped it.

He's a poor corner man because his stick is so long he can rarely make contact with the puck, and as I said before the puck is his only concern - he never plays the man.

His crease game is slightly better than everything else (which isn't saying much) because in the new NHL you can't touch a guy anyways. It's perfect for him because all he has to do is play infront of his man and cut him out of the play. It's a match for Malik because all he's going to do is play the puck anyways, which is all that is required in many of the situations he finds himself in. That is why he's used on the PK.

You'll then find that when he's asked to move somebody from the crease - like a goalmouth scramble - he's useless again! Case and point trying to push Lindros, or Morrow, or frickin Loui Eriksson out of the way last night. How many times did they get a bang at the puck while Malik just stood there?

I watch the games: detail for detail. Even if I'm not home, I tape them and it gives me the opportunity to go over critical plays 2 or 3 times. So please don't give me the, "you don't notice when he plays well" ********, because I give credit where credit is due. I'm not your average fan that attempts to critique a performance based up on the amount of speed and noise a player generates, so spare me!

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Ola

Good post E, I defenitly agrees with you on the big picture.

I would like to add one thing though, and that is that Malik undestands how to play with Straka-Nylander-Jagr. He is maybe our worst D, but at the same time he is the 2nd best D we have to play with thoose guys.

He jumps into the play when there is time to do so, he dropps back when its time to do that, he don't flip the pucks out since he knows that its comming right back at him if he does, when our 1st line is out there with Rozi and Malik they have a flow, if they get a odd shift with Tyutin-Ward/Ozo-Rachunek they loose that flow.

He gets allot of critizisim for beeing bad positionally, he aren't, he is pretty good there, but the big problem is that once he makes the smallest misstake he can't recover it.

I defenitly want to see Malik replaced ASAP. But he can't be replaced by just about anyone, it defenitly have to be someone with allot of experience and understanding of the game to make it work with Jagr and Co.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 12:37 PM
True Blue

I guess that it is fair to say that

you do not have a Malik poster gracing your wall, do you Big E? Tell me what you really think about him. BTW, I agree with everything you said.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 01:41 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I think you have some valid points Big E but you have Malik pegged wrong when it comes to what he does best and thats positional play on defense, not just swinging his stick blindly. If he plays that game he can be effective, as we've seen from him in the past, and not only on the Rangers. Now you misuse him and you get burned. Or if we expect him to be a crease clearer, its just false expectation.

I don't care for the guy that much either, but since the early part of the season he's done his job with some consistency and thats all i hope for from a Malik player.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 01:51 PM
tedtroll

Malik is fine by me

True, Stats do not tell the whole picture. However, a defenseman should be judged on preventing the other team from scoring. How he does that really doesn't matter to me. Malik is typically on the ice with the Jagr line but you all think that he deserves no credit for the success for the line. That's interesting. I think he contributes on the PK as well as any other D-man. The guy is slow but positionally sound. He should never be on the ice 4 on 4 or situations where there's a lot of open ice. Other than that he is fine. There are a lot more glaring problems with this team that need to be addressed no 3rd or 4th line scoring. Too many Third line players with no hands -Orts,Hollweg,Betts,Hossa,Ward

tedtroll is offline   Reply With Quote