HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Flyers @ Penguins, Dec. 13th, 7:30PM EST (TSN)

Old
12-15-2006, 02:43 AM
Amateur Hour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Oh no.

Not Eddie van Halen.

I guess once you get to a certain tier it's all about taste. I know that for me I can only judge those whom I have seen as a adult and Mario Lemieux is the best player I, as an adult, have ever seen play.

Just for giggles went to the hockeydb, check out 83-84.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...pid%5B%5D=3105

Never knew that Claude Vilgrain, J.J. Daigneault, and Vincent Damphousse all played Junior hockey with Mario. Boy would I love to hear what it was like to watch Mario put up 52 points in 14 playoff games for heaven's sake.

Obscene. That's the only word I can think of to properly describe stats like these:

Mario Lemieux:

1983-1984 season - Laval Voisins - QMJHL

Regular season: 70 GP, 133 G, 149 A, 282 PTS (that's a fraction over 4 points per game... Jesus)

Playoffs: 14 GP, 29 G, 23 A, 52 PTS (eh, pretty good, but still a total letdown to me, seeing as how he averaged under 4 points per game )

I'd have to assume his 282 regular season points and 52 postseason points are both records that still stand today (and perhaps forever), right?

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 09:13 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
If our best player is Niittymaki, this team's in even worse trouble than I thought.

By the way, I only call him Shiittymaki when he allows weak goals. It makes me laugh. Try lightening up a little bit.
First of all I said Nitty is arguable the best player.
So who is our best player IYO after 30 games played?
Also, why aren't you talking about other 7 goals?
waiting...

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 10:35 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I never got to see Orr play, but the fact that he led the league in scoring twice, which had never been done before nor since carries a lot of weight with me. Paul Coffey had great point totals, but he always had 40-60 points (at least) less than the leading scoring on his team. Orr played on a great team, but he seems to be the main catalyst, whereas someone like Coffey was more of a beneficiary (don't get me wrong, he was a catalyst at points too, but the team did not run through him).

I also put a lot of weight on innovation. It's easier for someone to come along a build upon what others have done, it is difficult to break outside of the box of normality. (I always used to side with the Hendrix camp when I was in college...now I am not so sure... I still like the Beatles for their innovative ability as well.)

Anyway, all that to say that I hold Orr up there as top 3 of all time with Gretzky and Lemieux.
Coffey also played with Gretzky so I dont think he ever had a chance to lead his team in scoring. I definitely would put Orr up there, just a theory I have that seems to play out in many situations that when someone does something first and they are considered the innovator, they tend to be slightly overrated. As people evolve, they tend to get bigger, faster and more talented (with some exceptions) and can do some of the same things as the players in the past, just are looked at more as copy cats then the one who influenced them.

I hope I am being clear in my theory here, it is hard to explain. Not taking anything away from any of the players mentioned.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 10:36 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Oh no.

Not Eddie van Halen.

I guess once you get to a certain tier it's all about taste. I know that for me I can only judge those whom I have seen as a adult and Mario Lemieux is the best player I, as an adult, have ever seen play.

Just for giggles went to the hockeydb, check out 83-84.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...pid%5B%5D=3105

Never knew that Claude Vilgrain, J.J. Daigneault, and Vincent Damphousse all played Junior hockey with Mario. Boy would I love to hear what it was like to watch Mario put up 52 points in 14 playoff games for heaven's sake.
I am guessing you are one of those Hendrix worshipers

Old
12-15-2006, 10:39 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
Pleeze, everyone knows that Eddie is the best ever. There is no argument or discussion on that point. Just because someone is the first, doesn't necessarily make him/her the best. Let us also not forget what Eddie has done with the piano or even the drill ("Poundcake"). He made playing the piano 'cool' again.

As for 'best ever,' I too never saw Orr play, but between Gretz and Mario I definitely have to go with Mario. Before Mario came back for the final time, he held the NHL record for PPG. Had he not gotten cancer and been plagued by a bad back, I think he definitely would have finished above Gretzky in many offensive categories. Gretzky had the 'luxury' of playing at a different time in the NHL and his entire career he played with an enforcer that saw to it that he wasn't even touched.

In contrast, how many years was it that Lindros was his own enforcer?
I dont know if I would call EVH the best EVER, but I definitely put him up there in the top couple (unfortunately he is now completely off his rocker), and Hendrix is probably at the bottom of my top 10, if he even is in my top 10, but that is for another thread.

To my recollection, Lindros was his own enforcer basically his entire career.

Old
12-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
First of all I said Nitty is arguable the best player.
So who is our best player IYO after 30 games played?
Also, why aren't you talking about other 7 goals?
waiting...
I did talk about some of the goals, they were weak, straight shots that any goalie should be able to save. For the millionth time, scroll up and review my posts. I know there's a lot of them but you seem to spend enough time here.

I don't believe we have a best player. You could make cases for Gagne, Knuble, Sanderson. But what's the point? The team sucks and that's what matters. And yes, Nitty is part of that suck. He's making stupid mistakes just like everyone else.

You know, people are allowed to disagree with you.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 05:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
The best player on the team thus far has been Mike Knuble hands down.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote