HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Downie (concussion) is probable (Nov. 12); Raffl (flu); Newbury sent to AHL (Nov. 10)

Old
11-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Picklepete

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Picklepete
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Seriously guys. Is emery kind of a dick? Totally, but let's stop acting like he took his skate off and tried to cut is throat with it. I SERIOUSLY doubt that emery had any intentions to seriously injure Holtby. Jackass move, yes, but it's not like he chased him down and broke both of his legs.

This is getting blown way out of proportion by EVERYONE.

While fighting happens in the NHL, most players have enough respect that when they
have an opponent down they lay off.
Not Emery last night. He hit Holby at least 4 times in the back of the head while down & could have caused a serious injury !
And that's classless. wow

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-02-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Site rules regarding terminology used
Picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Seriously guys. Is emery kind of a dick? Totally, but let's stop acting like he took his skate off and tried to cut is throat with it. I SERIOUSLY doubt that emery had any intentions to seriously injure Holtby. Jackass move, yes, but it's not like he chased him down and broke both of his legs.

This is getting blown way out of proportion by EVERYONE.
There's not some insane bar that has tot be met for a player to be criticized. What Emery did was, for all intents and purposes, flat-out assault. He didn't seriously hurt Holtby, but that's about the extent of the "good" there.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:07 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
The events that led to Downie's concussion are a symptom of what I'm talking about.
Stepping in for a team-mate is a sympton of exactly which problem?
Downie getting injured in a fight is an accident. He had like 2863 fights when nothing happened.
Please explain to me why his injury is a sympton and of what exactly.

Quote:
Emery's presence isn't a good thing.
Steve Mason concurs. He loves Emery. Could be one of the reasons he turned it around. Because he feels comfortable here.

Quote:
His stupid decision was what set that whole line brawl in motion.
You are not seriously implying that Emery is at fault for Lecavalier's injury, right?

Quote:
He is a mediocre back-up that doesn't bring anything to the team to justify **** like yesterday.
17-1.

Quote:
He is known to influence personnel decisions beyond just Bryzgalov (I'm assuming that's what you're alluding to). But even if he wasn't that alone is enough. We traded away a cost-controlled 24 year old Vezina-winner so that we could massively overpay a sieve. It's a joke. Our team is a joke right now.
We didn't trade away a Vezina winner.
We traded away one of the most expensive back-ups for a decent return.

While Bob has shown promise he wouldn't have been able to develop here behind Bryz.
And Bryz wasn't bad in his first year, so it wouldn't have made sense to buy him out back then.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:07 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklepete View Post
While fighting happens in the NHL, most players have enough respect that when they
have an opponent down they lay off.
Not Emery last night. He hit Holby at least 4 times in the back of the head while down & could have caused a serious injury !
And that's classless. wow
Imagine if Volpatti did the same to Downie? Yikes. I'm not sure Downie would have let up if he was in Volpatti's shoes, given the Jason Blake incident and the rest of his track record.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-02-2013 at 01:21 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:15 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 971
Update: Downie will be released from the hospital later today or tomorrow.

No change yet with Lecavalier. Still sticking to the day-to-day terminology.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretWillhelmThe3rd View Post
Downie did the right thing by jumping in to defend a teammate though. Volpatti was out of his weight/size class but he did the right thing. It just had a very unfortunate outcome. Downie is a team first player. I just wish Hartnell or Simmonds or anyone larger would have been the one fighting Volpatti, my displeasure with Hartnell continues to increase.
He does this all the time. Downie is almost always outclassed, but he just doesn't give a ****. He's crazy, but that's also why people like him. He's got character.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Peasy
Lace Up

vCash: 2000
Bobby Mack said he thinks Vinny is out at least a couple weeks.

Peasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:20 PM
SuchySays

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Imagine if Volpatti did the same to Downie? Yikes. I'm not sure Downie would have let up if he was in Volpatti's shoes, given the Jason Blake incident and the rest of his track record.
I think he would have let up.

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:21 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
yes because thats all Downie is is a goon.
bringing up something that happened what 6 years ago. really?
you seem to be a little lost. go away.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:22 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasy View Post
Bobby Mack said he thinks Vinny is out at least a couple weeks.
fractured jaw? concussion? seems to be something a bit more then some dental work.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:25 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
fractured jaw? concussion? seems to be something a bit more then some dental work.
Now some are saying day tomday, so who knows ?

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Curufinwe

What actually happened to Vinny? Took a hard punch from someone?

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:31 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Indications are he likely lost teeth.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:31 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Ya. Think he fought Olesky ?

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Stepping in for a team-mate is a sympton of exactly which problem?
Downie getting injured in a fight is an accident. He had like 2863 fights when nothing happened.
Please explain to me why his injury is a sympton and of what exactly.
I am mistaken here. I rewatched the game, I remembered Lecavlier's fight being Downie's and vice versa. Doesn't change too much, as Lecavlier is out with an injury just the same as Downie.

Quote:
Steve Mason concurs. He loves Emery. Could be one of the reasons he turned it around. Because he feels comfortable here.
You either misread my ost or don't understand the meaning of the word concurs...?

Quote:
You are not seriously implying that Emery is at fault for Lecavalier's injury, right?
I'm saying if Emery doesn't do that retarded **** Lecavlier most likely isn't ever in a fight last night. I'm saying that both Emery's stupid, goonish actions his being on the team are syptoms of a culture that comes from the top down.

Quote:
17-1.
And Leighton had three shut outs in the Eastern Conference Finals playing behind a team that was similarly a force of nature at the time. Doens't mean either one of them are good goal tenders.

Quote:
We didn't trade away a Vezina winner.
We traded away one of the most expensive back-ups for a decent return.
Most expensive back-ups?

We traded away a goalie that was signed for under 2 million dollars and good enough to win a Vezina the very next season, and we got a second round pick in return. We did this to keep a terrible goalie who was signed for 5 million +, and that we bought out roughly the same week Bob was collecting his Vezina.

Those are the facts, you can work to reframe them however you want, but that is a collosal ****-up in my book.

Quote:
While Bob has shown promise he wouldn't have been able to develop here behind Bryz.
And Bryz wasn't bad in his first year, so it wouldn't have made sense to buy him out back then.
He would've been able to develop here in front of Bryz, who he was better than, who's signing was itself a collosal ****-up. Bryz was bad both years here.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Curufinwe

He should have stuck to fighting guys smaller and weaker than him like Talbot.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:51 PM
dookie88

Quote:
You either misread my ost or don't understand the meaning of the word concurs...?
Yeah, my english failed my there.
I obviously meant to say that Mason disagrees with this statement.

Quote:
I'm saying if Emery doesn't do that retarded **** Lecavlier most likely isn't ever in a fight last night. I'm saying that both Emery's stupid, goonish actions his being on the team are syptoms of a culture that comes from the top down.
I didn't applaud that stunt by Emery aswell, but Lecavalier didn't have to fight in this scenario. From what I'v seen he chose to and he could've chosen to in another situation as well. I'm sorry, but it just sound like making up reasons to hate on Emery even more.

Quote:
And Leighton had three shut outs in the Eastern Conference Finals playing behind a team that was similarly a force of nature at the time. Doens't mean either one of them are good goal tenders.
I think we can agree to disagree here.
I think Emery is a decent back-up, you don't.

Quote:
Most expensive back-ups?
Yes, iirc Bob was the most expensive back-up in the league at that point in time.

Quote:
We traded away a goalie that was signed for under 2 million dollars and good enough to win a Vezina the very next season, and we got a second round pick in return.
The same goalie was awful in the playoffs the season before and was a backup for us. Getting a second and a third for him was an acceptable return at that time.

Quote:
We did this to keep a terrible goalie who was signed for 5 million +, and that we bought out roughly the same week Bob was collecting his Vezina.
Bryzgalov wasn't a terrible goaltender.
He wasn't the season before we traded Bob and he wasn't last season.
He just wasn't worth his contract and I believe there were some tensions between him and the coaching staff.

Quote:
Those are the facts, you can work to reframe them however you want, but that is a collosal ****-up in my book.
Thesee actually weren't any facts by definition.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 02:09 PM
trick9

vCash: 1251
Caps fan here. Not a big fan of neither Downie or Lecavalier from their Lightning days but never a good thing to see players get injured in a fights.

What i really don't get is why Vinnie wanted to fight someone there in that situation. I mean he has been one of the best players on your team and suddenly he's all-in looking for a fight in a situation where they are playing against Caps 4th line? Oleksy is a solid fighter and i just can't see why Vinnie would want to fight him when the game is over.

trick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 02:15 PM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick9 View Post
Oleksy is a solid fighter and i just can't see why Vinnie would want to fight him when the game is over.
Frustration? Anger? Embarrassment? Wanted to get home early to watch Melrose?

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 02:20 PM
CavemanLawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick9 View Post
Caps fan here. Not a big fan of neither Downie or Lecavalier from their Lightning days but never a good thing to see players get injured in a fights.

What i really don't get is why Vinnie wanted to fight someone there in that situation. I mean he has been one of the best players on your team and suddenly he's all-in looking for a fight in a situation where they are playing against Caps 4th line? Oleksy is a solid fighter and i just can't see why Vinnie would want to fight him when the game is over.
I haven't watched the game, but if the Caps doing stupid **** during a blow out, there is why he would fight. Vinnie is, what you'd call a...hmm... "morals fighter". When he sees ****ed up ****, he fights. He's always done that. He might not seem it, but he will cheap shot, he will fight, but only when perceives disrespect. Its one of the reasons when he was asked about fighting, he said he wants it in. Not saying the Caps were, but he fights a lot when that stuff happens.

Example - Rinaldo fought Crombeen and many players (until the next day) thought Rinaldo punched Crombeen when he was knocked out already. Vinnie went out specifically to exact revenge - fought Talbot, took him down, and punched him a good 3 times when he was already down. Looked at the Flyers bench with a "Yeah do something again and I'll do something even worse" look. I think thats when Rinaldo even asked the ref if his punch on Crombeen was out of line. Just the fact that Vin went after a player who was known to fight made the Flyers bench a little...surprised and calmed the game a bit if I recall.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Whale Mingo

Quote:
He should have stuck to fighting guys smaller and weaker than him like Talbot.

Talbot plays for Penguins: "I hate him and I hope he gets in a car wreck"

Talbot signs with Flyers: "Great pickup, he'll add toughness and some scoring"

Talbot gets traded to Colorado: "He only fights guys smaller and weaker than him"

Whale Mingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 02:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

RT @JSportsnet: Can confirm that Flyers' Steve Downie has a broken orbital bone from his 2nd period fight with Caps' Aaron Volpatti.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 02:30 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Is that the new minimum for receipt of criticism? You have to attempt to injure someone with your skate before people are justified in complaining about you? Emery isn't "kind of a dick", he's a massive dick, and a stupid one that can barely play net at the NHL level.

Holtby didn't want to fight and didn't do anything that he needed to answer for. But the NHL is a big boy league and sometimes you gott scrap whether you like it or not, so I can se Emery's dickishness aside there. My big complaint isn't that he's a dick, it's that he's STUPID and reckless, and it ended up costing the team a lot.

Irrelevant, the point is that he was a sensational talent. I'd much rather he won the Vezina with us and Columbus had signed Bryzgalov. As for other personnel decisions, you can go look for yourself at documented instances of Snider being a very hands on owner and pushing for acquisitions. I don't even think you would have to leave the board. There are posters here who supposedly have seen Snider having conversations with Holmgren from his box discussing personnel moves.

But even if I were to concede that the Bryzgalov situation was the only one firmly tied to Snider's meddling, again that's enough. If we give Holmgren ownership of all the other personnel decisions, that's fine. My comment was that the org was mis-managed and that it was from the tp down, not exclusively that the problem was at the very top. There is not enough of a meritocracy in place. It's too much of a good old boys club.
I'm not disagreeing what anything you're saying. I think emery made a bad choice, and did a classless thing. I don't approve of anything he did, if holtby didn't want to fight, he should have found someone else who was willing to fight him... All I'm saying is that it's being blown out of proportion. People are acting as if emery mcsorleyed him.

Everyone who quoted me is for some reason responding with the idea that I was trying to defend emerys actions. I was not. I don't believe what he did was right and I don't see a place for it in the game. I'm just saying that people are taking it a little too far.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 02:42 PM
SuchySays

yelp. the feared Orbital Bone.

see ya in 10-12 weeks?

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 02:47 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Beyond that, there's now conflicting reports as to whether or not Downie has a concussion

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote