HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Montreal loses to Minnesota: No Excuses? 3 Discussion Questions in OP

Old
11-02-2013, 01:34 PM
HABSonaroll

vCash: 500
For me Roy would have been the better choice for coach - Fire Wagon Hockey etc. but were stuck with MT

HABSonaroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:41 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Guys/gals, the really spooky part about Galchenyuk's assist is that it was intended to be that way. Love the kid!

cphabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:47 PM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABSonaroll View Post
For me Roy would have been the better choice for coach - Fire Wagon Hockey etc. but were stuck with MT
You don't think the hockey we play under Therrien is "fire wagon hockey"?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 01:49 PM
jedimyrmidon

I find it disturbing that MT is just so darn predictable and the francophone media with him:

The players with the longest leash and the least criticism by MT and RDS just happen to be Bouillon and Desharnais. DD has been so bad and unproductive for so long that RDS just can't ignore it anymore. Guys playing with Bouillon are always playing on their wrong side, and yet he still makes defensive gaffes that cost the Habs games and yet not a peep from MT or RDS.

The player most diametrically opposed to those two and the Habs' best player, PK Subban, is the most criticized publicly by MT and followed up by RDS.

How does this make any sense?!

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 02:18 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
I find it disturbing that MT is just so darn predictable and the francophone media with him:

The players with the longest leash and the least criticism by MT and RDS just happen to be Bouillon and Desharnais. DD has been so bad and unproductive for so long that RDS just can't ignore it anymore. Guys playing with Bouillon are always playing on their wrong side, and yet he still makes defensive gaffes that cost the Habs games and yet not a peep from MT or RDS.

The player most diametrically opposed to those two and the Habs' best player, PK Subban, is the most criticized publicly by MT and followed up by RDS.

How does this make any sense?!
I am repeating myself but Therrien is playing to his L'ac audience. Fans are catching on, players will too and when the best of them stop playing for him and his agenda he'll find himself back on the panel .

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 02:33 PM
JohnLennon

I missed most of last night's game. Everyone is saying Therrien was out-coached badly in this thread. How exactly was he out-coached?

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 02:35 PM
hersky77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
I missed most of last night's game. Everyone is saying Therrien was out-coached badly in this thread. How exactly was he out-coached?

Just one example

They tie it up with Markov and PK on the back end. Two shifts later he throws out franky with markov instead of PK. Franky is caught day dreaming an he allows Pominville to sneak and bury the rebound on price.

hersky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 03:00 PM
OneSharpMarble

If you guys don't think Bergevin is putting the screws to MT to play DD as much as possible you aren't paying attention. That contract looks like a disaster right now, MB is praying that this guy remembers how to play hockey.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 03:05 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
If you guys don't think Bergevin is putting the screws to MT to play DD as much as possible you aren't paying attention. That contract looks like a disaster right now, MB is praying that this guy remembers how to play hockey.
This is what I think as well. The alternative is far too scary to deal with.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
It's one thing to get your 4th line caught against the Pominville line on the road. It's another thing to let them get caught again after allow a goal the first time, but allowing them to run out their shift instead of changing on the fly, and allowing another goal. And it's yet ANOTHER thing to somehow, in 5-7 minutes of total ice time, to get them caught against the same line a third time, and AGAIN allow a goal.

And the defensemen deployed with them further compounded the issue.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 03:09 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
It's one thing to get your 4th line caught against the Pominville line on the road. It's another thing to let them get caught again after allow a goal the first time, but allowing them to run out their shift instead of changing on the fly, and allowing another goal. And it's yet ANOTHER thing to somehow, in 5-7 minutes of total ice time, to get them caught against the same line a third time, and AGAIN allow a goal.

The thought of deploying the Mouillon pairing with the 4th line in itself is ridiculous, regardless of opposition. Your points about it being against the pominville line only makes it look worse.

Old
11-02-2013, 03:31 PM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
In Carbo's defense - and I'll always say this with hesitation - the squads he had were very inexperienced and rather crappy. Compare the talent that Jacques or Therrien had to work with and Carbos and you'll see a remarkable difference.
Carbonneau could do tactics. He just had trouble getting along with his players. And he never acknowledged changes, he played guys as though they were the same as when he initially evaluated them, never let them win ice time or change role.

He needed some experience and adaptability but he had the potential to be a very good coach. At least he understood tactics and matchups (though he'd do the matchups based on his player evalution 2 years earlier).

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 03:41 PM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I don't think you realized how often Subban pinches in a game successfully. Seems the couple times puck gets past him, the covering forward can't be more than a pylon.
Other players have to adjust, too. You see some of the other guys get more aggressive when PK pinches while they should be covering for him and making the safe play instead of taking a chance on keeping the puck in.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 03:45 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
Carbonneau could do tactics. He just had trouble getting along with his players. And he never acknowledged changes, he played guys as though they were the same as when he initially evaluated them, never let them win ice time or change role.

He needed some experience and adaptability but he had the potential to be a very good coach. At least he understood tactics and matchups (though he'd do the matchups based on his player evalution 2 years earlier).
Carbo also has all the charisma of a sharp stick. He's not at all a good communicator. He has trouble speaking his mind on RDS. Might be a good assistant, though.

Old
11-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

Yeah, that 4th line is horrid. In Parros' defense I don't think he's ready yet. I'm not referring to his concussion, I have no doubt he's healed but game shape wise he might need some conditioning. It wasn't too long ago (24/CH) that Parros was complaining he was slow coming off the ice during a skate.

As for Desharnais. The only time he's been effective is when he lights the afterburner. When he just cruises around, forget it!

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Spearmint Rhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post

Was about to post the same thing, that lines -3 in less than 7 mins says it all and MT got exploited on it over and again

Should've kept Holland up and sent Blunden down (unless they're afraid he's valuable property that will get claimed off waiver )

And yeah Parros looked lost, one shift there was a battle along the boards and he left the scrum to cheat towards the goalie hoping his teammate was going to win the battle and get him the puck - never happened and turnover went the other way - newsflash George working the boards, not getting scored on, fighting and hitting is really your only job as a 4th liner

Can't fault Whitey with those bookends

Spearmint Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

When I looked at the 4th line before the game, I knew it was going to suck. But to be fair:

- The 1st goal was fluke.
- The 2nd goal is on White (and, to a lesser extent, Subban).

The 3rd goal is where the 4th line really *****ed up, especially Parros.

I did not understand the need to dress Parros. It seems that with his injury, some people forgot that he's still a sub-par 4th liner, that we should dress only against teams like the Leafs, Bruins or Sabres. Holland would've been a better choice against Minny.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
i understand what you're saying and i know therrien is not all that good a coach in game situation but the 4th line getting smoked like this is on the players, not so much matchups. the fourth line is there to give rest to other players and they are not supposed to get smoked like they did last night, they are supposed to hold their own defensively at the very least.

he gets last change, the other coach will put his best line against our worst so what the 4th line is supposed to do is change as soon as possible. they were just flatout terrible tonight

i don't know why parros was dressed. can't remember but does minny have a tough guy? you know i don't like goons in the first place so w/e

as for dd's icetime, the only reason i can see is that he is trying to get him going. i see dd right now as being in a sort of terrible slump and if he gets going it's good for the team and ups his value if it comes time to trade him. the hustle is there, the effort is there, not much else though... sorry, it's the only explanation i can come up with
They only get last change on the faceoffs. After that it's all about managing your players. You make sure to put the 4th line around the same time the other 4th is on and when we're in the offensive zone. You also don't put Murray as the Dman with them, I mean really, 4th line with the bottom D pair??
But I can understand. It's tough to juggle players. So let me ask you, would you have played that 4 th line after they got scored on twice??
And do you need to make Parros play with them? You can't give LL some extra time?

The players made mistakes that lead to goals, no doubt. But Therrien didn't do anything good either.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote