HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #13|Sat., Nov. 2, 2013| Flyers at Devils |7:00 p.m. ET

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2013, 04:02 PM
OgbertTheNerd
what

vCash: 500
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 1h
Jagr on Giroux/Hartnell having 0 goals: "I like both guys, they’re my friends and I want them to score.. ...”

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 1h
Jagr cont: "...I want Giroux to be the best player in the league. Not necessarily tonight."

Jagr's the man.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:07 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 917
Meszaros is projected to be playing tonight according to Timmeh.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Kind of arbitrary to pick one game as the end-all, be-all this far into it.

They lost two skilled scorers, one of which was our best offensive player this season to injury. Both goalies played last night and we're in the tail-end of a back to back against a team we've sucked against for a long while now.

They've had twelve games now to turn it around and haven't shown up for any game besides one. They also had the entire Caps game, including before and after embarrassing themselves with that brawl, to score or even muster up a decent effort and did neither.

Just seems naive to me that they'll all be revved up to suddenly perform well just because they got destroyed more then usual and had a line brawl last night. It's also very worrisome that it takes twelve games, an embarrassing line brawl, and a bad blowout to get this team going if that truly is the case.
Normally I'd agree but I think this is a bit different. Right now they have one game in hand and are only 6 points out of a playoff spot. In my eyes, one of the biggest problems with this team is their mental state. When things are going well they look like a playoff team and real contenders, but as soon as something bad happens (the first goal against in the last two game) they just lose it and can't recover. Every game so far has been relatively close and there hadn't been a blowout loss even though they weren't playing great. Despite their poor record they probably weren't that worried. After a loss as horrible and embarrassing as this one maybe they finally have a bit of fire and emotion, maybe the motivation to not let that happen again is enough to snap them out of their ********.

Yes they lost their two good offensive players but they have other skilled players who are simply playing bad. If they can use that last game as a turning point and actually change the way they've been playing it won't really matter if Downie and Vinny are in the lineup or not. If they don't snap out of it then it then those two probably aren't enough to make a difference anyway.

I know this is extremely unlikely, I'm not an idiot, but this is really the last chance no matter how slim.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:08 PM
PhillyPhaithful

Im going to the game tonight, is it too soon to put a bag over my head?

Old
11-02-2013, 04:14 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

#BringBackJagr

It honestly woudnt be the worst move.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:15 PM
SuchySays

i honestly would not mind at all if Mez and Gill played tonight

Old
11-02-2013, 04:20 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Meszaros is projected to be playing tonight according to Timmeh.
Over Gus? I'd like them both in and sit timonen

Old
11-02-2013, 04:22 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Over Gus? I'd like them both in and sit timonen
Apparently Grossmann and Schenn are late arrivals...not with the first group of players that goes to a building. Gill is part of tha first group. Not sure if that means Gill/Meszaros are playing.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-02-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old
11-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Coffe

Quote:
Six goals this early in is a lot. With twelve games played, if the Flyers had scored six more over the course of those games that would average out to one more goal every other game.
Yeah sure, but at the same time it's not as if they have scored twice the amount that the Flyers have scored like some teams have. Saying "they know how to score", to illustrate their goal scoring prowess, and then the difference is six goals seems rash.

Anyway it's just semantics and this game is a battle of who sucks less.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:30 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Apparently Grossmann and Schenn are late arrivals...not first with the first group of players that goes to a building. Gill is part of tha first group. Not sure if that means Gill/Meszaros are playing.
Interesting. At least for once we can't blame coaching problems. Or goalies. This is all on the players. I'd be embarrassed if I were them.

I'm as dye hard as they come. If they lose this game this season is over in my eyes and I'll be on board with trades involving mez kimo Hartnell.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Normally I'd agree but I think this is a bit different. Right now they have one game in hand and are only 6 points out of a playoff spot. In my eyes, one of the biggest problems with this team is their mental state. When things are going well they look like a playoff team and real contenders, but as soon as something bad happens (the first goal against in the last two game) they just lose it and can't recover. Every game so far has been relatively close and there hadn't been a blowout loss even though they weren't playing great. Despite their poor record they probably weren't that worried. After a loss as horrible and embarrassing as this one maybe they finally have a bit of fire and emotion, maybe the motivation to not let that happen again is enough to snap them out of their ********.

Yes they lost their two good offensive players but they have other skilled players who are simply playing bad. If they can use that last game as a turning point and actually change the way they've been playing it won't really matter if Downie and Vinny are in the lineup or not. If they don't snap out of it then it then those two probably aren't enough to make a difference anyway.

I know this is extremely unlikely, I'm not an idiot, but this is really the last chance no matter how slim.
My landmark game for how the season would go was the Ducks game which makes that game all the much worse for me since they started it in great fashion then ended it in horrible fashion. Was just a completely bipolar performance that game.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:40 PM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

Release the Kraken!!!

Old
11-02-2013, 04:41 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

The starting goalie appears to be Mason.

Update: Changed to Emery.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-02-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old
11-02-2013, 04:44 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
My landmark game for how the season would go was the Ducks game which makes that game all the much worse for me since they started it in great fashion then ended it in horrible fashion. Was just a completely bipolar performance that game.
Yeah, that game both raised my hopes and then lowered them immediately after, so it balanced out to me. Now if we lose tonight I'm pretty much all out of hope, but if we win and do it convincingly I'll still have a little hope left.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by F L Y E R S View Post
Release the Kraken!!!
The kraken has been replaced with Eeyore.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Prongo
Beer

Well in the 8 game span from November 1st till the 15th I believe I said was crucial for this team we are 0-1 with some key injuries after the first game. I won't say it's a guaranteed lose, but things are not looking up in Flyerdom. We lose this and Tuesday against Carolina, the season will basically be over. Not many teams make the playoffs after being down as much points they are when November begins, so the outlook was already dreary.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Garbage Goal

NJ and Carolina are both weak teams on paper and playing like it as well. So for a normal team anything but two wins would be at least a slight disappointment.

For this team...yeah.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:53 PM
FlyerFire

kraken seriously? bad news flyers is more like it

Old
11-02-2013, 04:53 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
NJ and Carolina are both weak teams on paper and playing like it as well. So for a normal team anything but two wins would be at least a slight disappointment.

For this team...yeah.
Carolina has a better record on the road than home (1 win in 7 games) and NJD has a superior record at home (zero regulation losses) compared to one win in eight road games.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Prongo
Beer

Oh god, Mez and Gill in for Schenn and Gus

We suck

Old
11-02-2013, 04:55 PM
SuchySays

Gus should have stayed in.

Gill for Schenn
Mez for Timonen..

if Berube wanted to "shake it up"

Old
11-02-2013, 04:57 PM
MP92

I guess the Flyers are now in tank mode? Can't think of another reason to sit Gus and Schenn in favor of Mesz and Gill

Old
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Oh god, Mez and Gill in for Schenn and Gus

We suck
Well, there's the loss.

Gill's snail-like speed won't be as big of a problem against an NJ team that is the oldest in the league and very slow themselves, but still.

Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
Gus should have stayed in.

Gill for Schenn
Mez for Timonen..

if Berube wanted to "shake it up"
Gus-for-Mez has been done before. Shaking it up typically means doing something different.

A shake up would have also been calling up Cousins or Akeson and giving them a chance.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:58 PM
SuchySays

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Gus-for-Mez has been done before. Shaking it up typically means doing something different.

A shake up would have also been calling up Cousins or Akeson and giving them a chance.

I know.

"Anthony SanFilippo ‏@InsideTheFlyers 4m
Per Berube: Meszaros and Gill in for Gus and Schenn. Says he wants to shake it up. #flyers"

Closed Thread