HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2013, 11:11 PM
Ozz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
My Monday night team won 4-3 in a nail-biter. I had 0pts but was busy leading the PK most the night. Solid game and I'm glad we got out of it with a regulation win to further our distance from that 2nd place team.

My top division team plays tonight, this is another one that can go either way.
We won 5-4; I had the first goal of the game which was a sneaky one from behind the goal line. I get away with that far too often, but people keep giving me plenty of room to work and crowd up on my outlets, so what the heck

Old
10-30-2013, 01:51 AM
PS12

Skated my best game tonight. 2 centers 3 lines of wings and i chose to be a center.
So freakin ehausted after the game. Had good jump on a breakaway. Came in left to right and had the goalie down but didnt go high. Bleh. My teammates told me i had a wide open top shelf. Bleh. No matter. Everything is coming together. Oh and we lost.

Backchecked full sprint and their guy slams the brakes on. Caught me by surprise, blew past him and almost lost my balance trying stop. Heh.

Old
10-30-2013, 08:53 AM
durrrr

I blocked a shot last night with my ankle. The fact that the guy blindly fired a half clapper at my feet rather than looking and trying to make a play made me pretty mad so I stayed on the ice and made two rushes with a limpy stride to try and score a goal, but, ultimately failed.

After the game (and this morning) it's swollen up really bad and hurts quite a bit. I hate taking shots in the feet!!!

Old
10-30-2013, 02:59 PM
Devil Dancer

(last night) I had an assist in the lowest division I play in, bringing me to 1g, 2a in 4gp. This is the same division I was almost 2ppg and 1 g/g in two seasons ago. I'm missing passes and shots like crazy. What's going on? It's not my linemates, since they're scoring like crazy and the team is 5-0. It's a hell of a lot of fun winning all the time, but I'm disappointed with my performance.

Meanwhile, I'm killing it in the highest division I'm playing in (1.5ppg) and I'm doing pretty well in the middle division. So I don't know what to think about my performance on that team.

It is the first year I'm playing with those guys, so maybe I just need to learn their players' tendencies a little better... No, it's me. I'm just sucking for that team right now. If we were losing I'd feel pretty bad, since one of their players vouched for me to get me on the team, and I told the captain I'm a pretty good player at that level.

Old
10-30-2013, 03:30 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
(last night) I had an assist in the lowest division I play in, bringing me to 1g, 2a in 4gp. This is the same division I was almost 2ppg and 1 g/g in two seasons ago. I'm missing passes and shots like crazy. What's going on? It's not my linemates, since they're scoring like crazy and the team is 5-0. It's a hell of a lot of fun winning all the time, but I'm disappointed with my performance.

Meanwhile, I'm killing it in the highest division I'm playing in (1.5ppg) and I'm doing pretty well in the middle division. So I don't know what to think about my performance on that team.

It is the first year I'm playing with those guys, so maybe I just need to learn their players' tendencies a little better... No, it's me. I'm just sucking for that team right now. If we were losing I'd feel pretty bad, since one of their players vouched for me to get me on the team, and I told the captain I'm a pretty good player at that level.
It happens. Sometimes I score at under a PPG pace, sometimes I score at 2 PPG. Sometimes I do better in my division 4 steps higher than the lower one I play in (though it's easier when I have fast/capable line mates to play with rather than the low-end guys who can't do much at a fast pace). Over summer league, for some reason I also had a huge problem with flubbing passes from behind while in motion. No clue what it was all about, but once it started bugging me it just got worse. Finally it went away but I had to stop letting it get to me. At one time I'd see a pass coming and start worrying that I'd lose it; that's no good!

It comes and goes, man, don't let it bring you down too much or you may have more problems caused by mental stress. Whenever I have a rough bout of goal-scoring, I try to put my focus moreso into my defensive game and shut down the other team's top guys, play more physical, lay into some people, etc. I'll never have a problem doing that w/my size, so once I feel better mentally in that respect the rest comes back eventually. Point being, perhaps it'll help to focus on something else than racking up points and let your confidence build in other ways - then let it all come back as it may.

Old
10-30-2013, 08:32 PM
GrandLarseny
Off to the KHL

vCash: 50
Today I picked up a new RBZ stick on sale for $180! Nugent-Hopkins curve and 75 flex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey 48 View Post
Also, still haven't received word as to when my Midget no-contact league starts up. Good work, guys.
Just a heads-up, there is a schedule up on Hockeyedmonton.com . Looks like 10 teams this year but I'm still waiting to know which team I'm on.

Old
10-31-2013, 12:42 AM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandLarseny View Post
Today I picked up a new RBZ stick on sale for $180! Nugent-Hopkins curve and 75 flex.

Just a heads-up, there is a schedule up on Hockeyedmonton.com . Looks like 10 teams this year but I'm still waiting to know which team I'm on.
Yeah, I saw it. I'm on NH920. Good to know someone else in the league is on the forums!

Also, Today I found out that I somehow lost my neck guard. Disappeared into thin air. Gonna head to Sport-Chek tomorrow to find a replacement, and maybe some new shoulder pads.

Old
10-31-2013, 09:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:

Definitely had that happen with me before.

One of the things to remember is that hockey really is a team game. Granted if you're a ringer playing well below your level, you can rack up some points on breakaways. But when you're playing competent teams that play defense, even if you're a pretty good player at that level, and if your teammates aren't getting you the puck or making plays, or having trouble breaking out...you'll get stuck.

Another thing I noticed is that at higher levels, I tend to have more assists to goals while at lower levels it's more even. I think it's because I can play with guys who finish at higher levels while playing down I can get some goals on the breakaway.

I've got a bad feeling about this year, since I'm in pretty bad shape right now. I had dropped a little weight for my wedding but then put it back on afterwards, so it's going to be a struggle early on I bet.

Old
10-31-2013, 02:07 PM
OkimLom

Yesterday, had an unfortunate accident with another guy from the other team. Was told by the doctors I should sit out indefinitely. There's no structural damage to any ligaments but I have fluid, and I have bad knees to begin with from Running Cross Country in HS. I can't support much weight on my right knee right now.

The accident happened by the end boards. It was after a whistle was blown as our goalie covered the puck. I took my guy out of the play as moved him from near the crease. It Turned out another guy was casuing issues, so my teammate cross-checked him and he fell awkwardly into my knee. I thought it was no big deal, but as I went to stand up I couldn't so I went back down to the ice. Leg went totally numb. so as I was carried to the bench, I kind of went stayed on my knees until the pain subsided. After about 20 minutes I was able to stand up, but for safety reasons I sat on the bench the rest of the game.

Old
11-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Another thing I noticed is that at higher levels, I tend to have more assists to goals while at lower levels it's more even. I think it's because I can play with guys who finish at higher levels while playing down I can get some goals on the breakaway.
That's certainly true. I'm a pretty good passer at all levels, so it's nice to play with some finishers on my top team, but those guys also open up room for me in the offensive zone to get some goals as well.

Old
11-01-2013, 11:44 AM
jazzykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
Yesterday, had an unfortunate accident with another guy from the other team. Was told by the doctors I should sit out indefinitely. There's no structural damage to any ligaments but I have fluid, and I have bad knees to begin with from Running Cross Country in HS. I can't support much weight on my right knee right now.

The accident happened by the end boards. It was after a whistle was blown as our goalie covered the puck. I took my guy out of the play as moved him from near the crease. It Turned out another guy was casuing issues, so my teammate cross-checked him and he fell awkwardly into my knee. I thought it was no big deal, but as I went to stand up I couldn't so I went back down to the ice. Leg went totally numb. so as I was carried to the bench, I kind of went stayed on my knees until the pain subsided. After about 20 minutes I was able to stand up, but for safety reasons I sat on the bench the rest of the game.
I'm sorry to hear that. Definitely, get a second opinion and look into sports physical therapy, braces, and/or *gasp* surgery. After my ankle injury, hockey is one of the few sports I am lucky enough to still be able to play but if someone told me I couldn't play hockey I'd be calling up every doctor in the country looking for an answer and playing goal in a wheel chair!!!

Old
11-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

Last night I became point per game for the first time in my short career (my first ever season was in the summer and this is my second!)

I had 7 in 12 last season, 3 in 4 in the playoffs, and 3 in 4 in my placement games this year. Last night was the season opener and I got an assist (primary!) in a 9 - 1 loss. Lol. To be fair I'm pretty sure that team was sandbagging since they went 0 - 4 and lost to two teams we beat in placement matches but meh.

Old
11-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Devil Dancer

Two nights ago I injured my thumb... in the handshake line after the game. I went to shake some guy's hand and my thumb awkwardly hit the palm of his hand. It hurts kind of a lot. I'm still playing tonight, but I feel like an idiot.

Old
11-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Two nights ago I injured my thumb... in the handshake line after the game. I went to shake some guy's hand and my thumb awkwardly hit the palm of his hand. It hurts kind of a lot. I'm still playing tonight, but I feel like an idiot.
You possess a Dustin Penner level of toughness:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...155530523.html

Old
11-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Ouch Reminds me of a time one of my goalies and I were at open sticks & pucks, and a younger kid lobbed a shot at him. He turned his glove hand sideways to catch it, but it clipped his finger somehow between the seams of padding. Next thing you know he's skating off the ice dripping blood everywhere. Had to get about half a dozen stitches!

Old
11-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Caeldan

vCash: 732
Practiced for the first time ever in goal. I think I'm officially in love with the position.

Old
11-02-2013, 02:54 PM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

Today I picked up my new neck guard. Meet my team tomorrow, first game of the season next week.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:29 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey 48 View Post
Today I picked up my new neck guard. Meet my team tomorrow, first game of the season next week.
As a player, I hate neck guards. So uncomfortable.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:39 PM
will13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
Don't wear em either. Uncomfortable and negative style points

Old
11-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
I agree. Really uncomfortable, but it's mandatory for me.

Old
11-02-2013, 07:57 PM
SCBruCrew4

Stood in line for 2.5 hours at Pure Hockey's new store in Burlington, MA for a $100 gift card...yes I got one and yes it's all gone lol.

Well worth the wait since I bought my son's new sticks for X-mas from Santa.

Old
11-03-2013, 11:00 AM
PS12

My friend has a garden and i was helping clearing it out. Theres now this open space that isnt being used. Just a patch of dirt. So i dug out my version of a russian box.

Used a flat shovel to cut angles into the dirt that i could push off of. Since im pushing off below ground level i cut another angle on the other side so i could easily land.

Basically i cut two v shaped ditches a few feet apart so i could do plyometric hockey jumps.

My initial angle was too steep. More like 45 degrees. Ill cut it to about 30.

Old
11-03-2013, 10:04 PM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

First practice and scrimmage with the team tonight. Handled the puck like a live grenade, but was pretty good defensively. Really need to continue with those drills

Old
11-04-2013, 02:20 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebombers View Post
Don't wear em either. Uncomfortable and negative style points
Unless you happen to play in the CHL!

Old
11-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

First game last night. Had an assist on our only goal and we lost 3-1 with an empty netter. Six shots for me last night of our team's 16 shots. Had some good looks and the goalie had trouble with the rebounds, but nothing went in.

Closed Thread