HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

FA Signings, Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IX:

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2013, 04:03 PM
40oz

vCash: 500
I'd think Hartnell would be a great fit on the Oilers, I just can't see a Hartnell for X trade with the Oilers. The Oilers players values are either too high or far too low. It'd have to be part of a package.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Matt19Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I'd think Hartnell would be a great fit on the Oilers, I just can't see a Hartnell for X trade with the Oilers. The Oilers players values are either too high or far too low. It'd have to be part of a package.
Maybe something around the Oilers 1st rounder for Hartnell + a depth forward?

If that could work, then Eberle or Yakupov wouldn't need to be included and could be dangled for a d-man. Eberle + xxx for Girardi/Yandle etc?

Old
11-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19Oilers View Post
Maybe something around the Oilers 1st rounder for Hartnell + a depth forward?
Ooof. A possible lotto pick for a 31 year old on the downswing of his career? No. thanks.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Lindo

As much as Hartnell or anyof his kind of winger would help, I don't see how/where they would fit in with the winger depth there is.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:40 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Hartnell has a NMC and wouldn't come here.

I'm not sure I want him anyway. He sucks pretty bad these days and has a high cap hit for a lot of years.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:44 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post

I'm not sure I want him anyway. He sucks pretty bad these days and has a high cap hit for a lot of years.
What makes you think he wouldn't come here?

Old
11-02-2013, 04:44 PM
Matt19Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Ooof. A possible lotto pick for a 31 year old on the downswing of his career? No. thanks.
I understand it from that side, but I also think we need to account for the fact that Hartnell can help us NOW, while any player we draft won't be useful to us in the NHL very soon. Provided that it's not a top 5 pick I guess I should say. If we end up picking 10th overall or so, then do we really need that player, and what are the odds that they end up being better than Hartnell?

I'd rather have Simmonds than Hartnell but at the end of the day, it can't just be sitting and waiting for the perfect deal to come around. It shouldn't need to be a perfect return for the deal to be justifiable. And no i don't think my perspective is short-sighted: there has to be some urgency to improve this team.

I guess I just feel that people are too hung up on getting the "perfect" player that will solve all of our problems in one trade. The reality is though, we don't have to be phenomenal to be a playoff team, we just need a few solid pieces and the youth to keep improving. We need to become a playoff team before we can really look at adding the players thay can make us a contender, because once we become a regular playoff team again, we'll be able to get those players that put us over the top.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Rpro

Quote:

He waived it once already apparently, in the Souray-Hartnell trade that never happened.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:56 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
As much as Hartnell or anyof his kind of winger would help, I don't see how/where they would fit in with the winger depth there is.
I figured that a move to get Hartnell would mean one of the Oiler wingers would be traded as well, either for him or in another deal.

Quote:

He's waived it to come here before.

Old
11-02-2013, 05:04 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
What makes you think he wouldn't come here?
Because we are a perennial bottom feeder team that plays in one of the least desirable cities in the league?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpro View Post
He waived it once already apparently, in the Souray-Hartnell trade that never happened.
And since then the Oilers have established themselves as the league's most pathetic franchise and Hartnell has signed a long extension with the Flyers implying that he is very comfortable there. I can't see him leaving there to come here at this point.

Old
11-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

Send a message via MSN to Nunymare
Any interest in Goligoski or Daley from Dallas, perhaps for a swap of Nick Schultz?

Old
11-02-2013, 05:18 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunymare View Post
Any interest in Goligoski or Daley from Dallas, perhaps for a swap of Nick Schultz?
Yes.

Old
11-02-2013, 05:29 PM
rockinghockey

I would like Simmonds, Anderson, Ott, and Mcdonagh

Old
11-02-2013, 05:36 PM
FireMacT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
The Oilers players values are either too high or far too low.
Pretty much. We have very little value in our organization apart for the big 4 + Nurse and Klefbom. Pretty much all the players that no one seems to want to move out.

Old
11-02-2013, 05:37 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
No thanks both over paid and for too long

Old
11-02-2013, 06:06 PM
VanillaCoke

At this point it's pretty clear the big 4 + no D + below avg goaltending isn't working at all, even a little bit.
So it's time to try the big 3 + better D + atleast avg goaltending which can't be worse...

Old
11-02-2013, 06:07 PM
iCanada

How much Cap space do the Oilers have from injuries this year?

What if we were to acquire Scott Hartnell, then pitch Perron+Hemsky+Klefbom+Picks for Shea Weber?

Say JSchultz+NSchultz(cap) for Hartnell+Luke Schenn. You think Nashville/Philly would bite on those?

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Hartnell-Gagner-Yakupov
Arcobello-Gordon-Jones
Gazdic-Lander-Acton

Ference-Weber
Smid-Petry
Belov-Schenn

Old
11-02-2013, 06:17 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
How much Cap space do the Oilers have from injuries this year?

What if we were to acquire Scott Hartnell, then pitch Perron+Hemsky+Klefbom+Picks for Shea Weber?

Say JSchultz+NSchultz(cap) for Hartnell+Luke Schenn. You think Nashville/Philly would bite on those?

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Hartnell-Gagner-Yakupov
Arcobello-Gordon-Jones
Gazdic-Lander-Acton

Ference-Weber
Smid-Petry
Belov-Schenn
We'd need to send at least 1 of the 4 to Nashville. I'd think Eberle, Smid, 2014 1st (top 10 pick) gets the conversation started. Also, I think Philly gets the better end of the deal on that one.

Old
11-02-2013, 06:21 PM
iCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
We'd need to send at least 1 of the 4 to Nashville. I'd think Eberle, Smid, 2014 1st (top 10 pick) gets the conversation started. Also, I think Philly gets the better end of the deal on that one.
They get the better end of the deal maybe, but its also a position of weakness for us on both ends. If we have Schenn playing 13 minutes a night and just hitting things, I okay with that. That, and he is young and still could bounce back and be a good player for us. It is a risk, sure, but I think it one I'd be willing to take.

Old
11-02-2013, 06:28 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Only if they want to retain like 2 million on Goligoski

11-02-2013, 06:38 PM
bdayz15

Watching the start of the Toronto vs Vancouver game.. Reimer is who I'd be working my ass off to get!

Old
11-02-2013, 06:47 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
They get the better end of the deal maybe, but its also a position of weakness for us on both ends. If we have Schenn playing 13 minutes a night and just hitting things, I okay with that. That, and he is young and still could bounce back and be a good player for us. It is a risk, sure, but I think it one I'd be willing to take.
Schenn is basically a Theo Peckham right now.

Old
11-02-2013, 06:49 PM
iCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
So you're fine trading a top for D in Schultz? Schenn is basically a Theo Peckham right now.
o.o

Yeah okay. Justin Schultz an NHL top 4 D. He has potential to be a number one guy sure, but Right now he isn't much better than Schenn. That, and he is puilling Ference/Smid/Belov down with him. Everyone he is paired with gets stuck with so many 2 on 1 chances against.

He has a ton of potential sure, but I think these deals make us a much better team now.

Old
11-02-2013, 06:50 PM
GreatKeith

Schultz can't defend real well but he can put up points.

Schenn can't do either.

Old
11-02-2013, 07:02 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
o.o

Yeah okay. Justin Schultz an NHL top 4 D. He has potential to be a number one guy sure, but Right now he isn't much better than Schenn. That, and he is puilling Ference/Smid/Belov down with him. Everyone he is paired with gets stuck with so many 2 on 1 chances against.

He has a ton of potential sure, but I think these deals make us a much better team now.
Believe me when I say Luke Schenn is a carbon copy of Peckham. He has no offensive presence, he can't skate his way out of problems, and has trouble reading the play. He's badly regressed ever since getting traded from Toronto and it completely shows when you watch him. Sure Schultz can't defend, but he's at least a constant threat in the offensive zone.

Closed Thread