HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Game #13|Sat., Nov. 2, 2013| Flyers at Devils |7:00 p.m. ET

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Winston Wolf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
I feel like Gus is the kind of guy we need in a cap era, developed by the team, not a stand out in any area but safe hands in all zones and has the skillset to be on the 2nd PP.

He is the kind of guy who we should have on the 3rd unit at a decent cost and can step into a 4 role and PP time... instead of 3.5+ for 5/6's.

I like how 95% of the time he is unnoticeable in his own zone, mainly because he usually gets a decent pass or clear round the boards before the forecheckers are on him, instead of fumbling the puck round for 5 seconds and getting the whole team trapped in the zone.

He will never probably be anything more than a decent puck moving 4 who can play a bit on the PP, but frankly him and Schenn as two of our 3/4/5 for the foreseeable future would be a good start on D.
Agreed.

I'm just loathing seeing him getting traded and he's going to have a Patrick Sharp or Dennis Seidenberg like career progression because the Flyers never gave him a legitimate chance.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:44 PM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Since you asked...

Because Kings' owner Jack Kent Cooke was so disgusted with Flett's performance, he demanded that Flett not be made one of the three post-game stars. Afterwards, Bobby Clarke gave Flett a spittoon with an inscription that read "Unspeakable Star of the Game."
That's great.

Also had to look up what a spittoon was. Name makes sense.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
Agreed.

I'm just loathing seeing him getting traded and he's going to have a Patrick Sharp or Dennis Seidenberg like career progression because the Flyers never gave him a legitimate chance.
He is the kind of guy that good teams have on their 3rd pairing.

He has actually played the 2nd most mins per 60 this year of any of our D men, had the 2nd or 3rd hardest QOC and the 2nd best Corsi, best +/- and most PPG.

Last year he had the hardest QOC of anyone with more than 15 games played and was probably the 3rd best D man after Schenn and Kimmo over the year.

11-12 he was not as good... but still about the 4th best over the year (especially in his 2nd stretch) after Pronger, Kimmo and Coburn.

He was +11 in zone starts last year and is +12 this year... the best both years.

Yeh, the sample size is not enormous... but it is around 50 games in a row now (through 3 years while constantly being up and down) where he has played at worst averagely and been very solid for the majority of that time.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Schenn has played fine this year. This scratch makes no sense.

Should be Timonen, if Berube wants to send a message.
Schenn and Gus being scratched is a complete joke. Timonen should definitely be scratched and it's not close.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:53 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Since you asked...

March 9, 1972 -- Bill Flett stunned his former teammates in his return to LA as the Flyers won 5-3 in front of 6,618. Flett asked to be traded from the Kings because the home fans booed him often. The Kings led 2-1 with about nine minutes to play in the third period but Flett (3-1-4) and Bobby Clarke (2-3-5) each recorded four points in a span of 3:31. Flett, Clarke and Flett again scored within 40 seconds, the latter two 10 seconds apart, to give Philly a 4-2 lead. After the Kings' Ralph Backstrom cut the deficit to one, Flett completed his hat trick and thus became the first Flyers' player to score a hat trick in one period. Flett scored two PPGs in the third period, one four seconds into the PP and the other five seconds into the PP. Backstrom (2-1-3) and ex-Flyers Jim Johnson (1-1-2) and Bill Lesuk (0-2-2) combined for seven points in the third period. The three Kings plus Clarke and Flett had 15 of the 18 individual third period points. Philly led 1-0 after two periods. The teams combined for seven third period goals in a span of 14:09. Philly was 3-for-5 on PPs. Because Kings' owner Jack Kent Cooke was so disgusted with Flett's performance, he demanded that Flett not be made one of the three post-game stars. Afterwards, Bobby Clarke gave Flett a spittoon with an inscription that read "Unspeakable Star of the Game."
Holy crap, thanks MSE.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:56 PM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
Schenn and Gus being scratched is a complete joke. Timonen should definitely be scratched and it's not close.
Yeah, I respect Kimmo's determination and toughness, but he looked cooked last season. Wish for his sake he won a cup; he deserves it.

Old
11-02-2013, 05:00 PM
GingerFetish

Send a message via Skype™ to GingerFetish
What in gods name is the reasoning for gill and mez in for gustafson and schenn?

Old
11-02-2013, 05:00 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Ridiculous.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Old
11-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Coffe

So Berube chickens out and holds the wrong guys "accountable", eh...

Old
11-02-2013, 05:08 PM
GingerFetish

Send a message via Skype™ to GingerFetish
Bench Giroux.

Old
11-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffe View Post
So Berube chickens out and holds the wrong guys "accountable", eh...
That's about the size of it, yes.

Old
11-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Akanon

Quote:
Gus, not Gross.
I blame the beers for that brain fart.

Old
11-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Schenn has played fine this year. This scratch makes no sense.

Should be Timonen, if Berube wants to send a message.
He's sending a message alright, just not a good one.

11-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Appleyard

If I were benching anyone it would be Simmonds or Hartnell and 2 of Kimmo, Coburn, Mez and Grossmann.

That is if accountability is being fairly distributed.

Those 6 guys have been disappointing.

(though Coburn has played great some games and eats minutes while playing the hardest mins on the team... and has been shepherding Grossmann all year... not sure it is his fault he is in a role he should not be in due to Kimmo falling off a cliff. It is really just a dice role each night if he can handle the best players on the other team or not... sometimes he does sometimes he does not. So maybe I give him a bit of a pass.)

Though tbh I would rather have any of the D than Gill and Mez!

I hear Alt and Lauridsen have been playing pretty decently for the Phantoms.

Old
11-02-2013, 05:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Emery is starting.

Despite all the chaos of the last 24 hours, I got a feeling that the Flyers are going to deliver tonight

Old
11-02-2013, 05:32 PM
SuchySays

emery starting

Old
11-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Garbage Goal

Emery starting. Schenn scratched. Gustafsson scratched. Gill in. Meszaros in. Lecavalier injured. Downie injured.

This looks like it'll be a fun time. Talk about self-sabotage.

Normally I'd be pissed as hell with Berube and be quite disappointed in him but at this point it's very apparent that I have kind of given up on this season at this point. Still, I knew Berube was a joke about accountability as soon as Rinaldo and Rosehill saw games right after they both did some ridiculously dumb penalties earlier in the season.

Old
11-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Appleyard

God... Emery playing and Schenn and Gus scratched.

Almost laughable.

Old
11-02-2013, 05:40 PM
MsWoof

Emery is starting. I'll take "a punishment worse than a suspension for $200, Alex".

Old
11-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
God... Emery playing and Schenn and Gus scratched.

Almost laughable.
Not sure why the almost is there. It definitely is laughable.

Between that weird tweet Dreger had about Schenn, his weird reduction in minutes, and now being a healthy scratch I really think this organization or at least Berube is not a fan of Luke Schenn.

Old
11-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Garbage Goal

I kind of hope we get destroyed just on principal of horrible lineup decisions.

Not that it matters much, but is Rosehill in?

Old
11-02-2013, 05:41 PM
kimmofan44

Emery starting sends the wrong message. it looks like berube wants to reward old school bully mentality and that doesn't win games anymore. what does being scared of having to fight you have to do with not scoring goals? teams will gladly fight if they are winning 5 to 1. address the problem. get this team putting the Puck in the net not coming out of the crease and beating on some kid that doesn't even want to fight just because he's pitching a shut out.

Old
11-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Calderone
old time hockey

Sorry but the guy that needs benching the most is Kimmo. His game has fallen off a cliff. If the coach had super elephantitus of the scrotum he would bench Giroux, there's a guy that needs to sit for a night and find himself.

Old
11-02-2013, 05:43 PM
SuchySays

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
Emery starting sends the wrong message. it looks like berube wants to reward old school bully mentality and that doesn't win games anymore. what does being scared of having to fight you have to do with not scoring goals? teams will gladly fight if they are winning 5 to 1. address the problem. get this team putting the Puck in the net not coming out of the crease and beating on some kid that doesn't even want to fight just because he's pitching a shut out.

He was probably scheduled to start tonight anyway. and wanted to stick to it and give Mason a full day off.

Old
11-02-2013, 05:44 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Emery is starting. I'll take "a punishment worse than a suspension for $200, Alex".
Alex put the hammer down on a poor soul the other night in Final Jeopardy. Name the second largest country in the former Soviet Union and when the dude misspelled Kazakhstan, Alex said "We normally don't deduct for spelling but you put an 'a' where it isn't needed and therefore changed the pronunciation." Dude lost all his cash.

Closed Thread