HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Manchester Monarchs Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2013, 04:15 PM
Ollie Weeks

vCash: 500
I wonder if having Carter run a few games as center here and there could be prep work for when we eventually introduce Toffoli to the team again.

Old
10-26-2013, 04:32 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

5-3 Monarchs with 4 minutes to go. Latest goal was Pearson (his 5th) from Toffoli and Campbell. Toffoli is now up to 7 goals and 5 assists in 10 games

Old
10-26-2013, 07:29 PM
Johnny Utah

Call up Pearson!

Old
10-26-2013, 10:18 PM
CNS
A World Alone

-Brian O'Neill has SERIOUSLY impressed me. He's feisty, aggressive, good defensively, physical, scrappy, and showed some real nice offensive touch too. Don't completely write this kid off.
-Jordan Weal deserves so much more respect. He's just filthy. Watch the video highlights of tonights game when they're out (will be attached to my article) and you'll see him fake a wrister, which really was a pass to the tape of Toffoli who had to make zero effort to score the goal. He's also showed infinite more defensive ability than I thought he had and not shy from physical play.
-Kitsyn was fine. He barely played but when he did, he showed his strength a bit. I'd like to see him work on his foot speed a bit though.
-Sabourin disappointed the past two games after his camp. He deserved to be scratched today over Czarnick.
-Bodnarchuk is the Monarchs best D.
-Miller has the best slap shot of the D on the team. I think at times though he might over use it. It's like Stoll in a sense. Slapper so good you might forget about your wrister. We'll see though. Might have just been tonight. Different from Stoll is that he can hit the net. Also is obviously an incredibly smooth skater.
-Jones is just so calm in the net. You don't really beat him low. One thing he really, really needs to do is play farther out. Way too deep in his crease. Also wear Vaughn.
-Nick Shore is such a nice guy. Really liked talking to him post game. We shared a good smile when I asked if it was sweeter to score his 1st pro goal on his old goalie. He also had a good game and is used literally in all scenarios. 1st PK unit, 2nd PP unit, used in OT. He's good not great on faceoffs. Can replace Stoll for sure.
-Andreoff has in a word disappointed me. I just haven't seen IT from him yet.

Last edited by CNS: 10-27-2013 at 02:23 AM.
Old
10-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Minor Boarding

On the AHL first page there is a link to a really nice article about Campbells captaincy...

Quote:
"C" is for Campbell
October 27, 2013
Photo: Blake Gumprecht

by Nick Chacos || AHL On The Beat Archive

For those who have followed the Manchester Monarchs -- or have been around Andrew Campbell since he came to Manchester -- it is no surprise that he is wearing the captain's "C" on his jersey this season.
Rest of the article can be read here.

Old
10-27-2013, 03:43 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Doesn't wearing the "C" pretty much mean that he'll never be a king?

Campbell
Cliche
Bagnall
?
?

Old
10-27-2013, 04:05 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

hey CNS, what's yoru twitter? do you blog as well? i always love reading from fans who watch manchester. really curious about deslauriers, don't really know much except from the Matsuda article.

Old
10-27-2013, 05:04 PM
TKFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
Doesn't wearing the "C" pretty much mean that he'll never be a king?

Campbell
Cliche
Bagnall
?
?
Add Jackman to that list too. Campbell wouldn't ever be a King anyway, career AHL defenseman in my opinion.

Old
10-29-2013, 12:55 AM
Johnny Utah

Sabourin looks awful but looked good in the pre-season. Maybe he is one of those players whose game is better suited for the NHL.

Old
10-30-2013, 03:13 AM
triplcrown

I really hope the Vey/Toffoli/Pearson line can continue their dominance
and put all 3 guys near the top of AHL scoring.

Hopefully, all 3 are working on their defensive skills as well.

Maybe in Jan/feb they'll be called up as a line to play as our 4th unit?

Weirder things have happened.

But the VTP line has to play super-well in Manch
to make that a reality.

Old
10-30-2013, 11:32 AM
seen em all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Sabourin looks awful but looked good in the pre-season. Maybe he is one of those players whose game is better suited for the NHL.
I find your comment a little ridiculous seeying that Sabourin played a grand total of 13 Pro games. How can you judge a player when he`s either a scratch or get`s to play on the fourth line with limited minutes I`m sure you can make the same argument for Czarnick, Bishop and Kitsyn.

Old
10-30-2013, 12:31 PM
HockeyCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen em all View Post
I find your comment a little ridiculous seeying that Sabourin played a grand total of 13 Pro games. How can you judge a player when he`s either a scratch or get`s to play on the fourth line with limited minutes I`m sure you can make the same argument for Czarnick, Bishop and Kitsyn.
Anyone who has seen Sabourin play more than 2 games in the preseason has a pretty good grasp on the type of player that he is. Those who were actually calling for this guy to make the team out of training camp over some of the other players down in Manchester really exposed themselves on this board for how much they actually know when it comes to prospects, development, and talent. This guy will never play a single game for the Kings, I can promise you that. The fact we gave this kid max bonus money, according to CAPGEEK at least, is a real eye opener. He's a goon in a game where goons are slowing being pushed out of the game. He should not be playing over guys like Kitsyn, or Bishop, EVER.

Old
10-30-2013, 12:52 PM
HockeyCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
-Brian O'Neill has SERIOUSLY impressed me. He's feisty, aggressive, good defensively, physical, scrappy, and showed some real nice offensive touch too. Don't completely write this kid off.
-Jordan Weal deserves so much more respect. He's just filthy. Watch the video highlights of tonights game when they're out (will be attached to my article) and you'll see him fake a wrister, which really was a pass to the tape of Toffoli who had to make zero effort to score the goal. He's also showed infinite more defensive ability than I thought he had and not shy from physical play.
-Kitsyn was fine. He barely played but when he did, he showed his strength a bit. I'd like to see him work on his foot speed a bit though.
-Sabourin disappointed the past two games after his camp. He deserved to be scratched today over Czarnick.
-Bodnarchuk is the Monarchs best D.
-Miller has the best slap shot of the D on the team. I think at times though he might over use it. It's like Stoll in a sense. Slapper so good you might forget about your wrister. We'll see though. Might have just been tonight. Different from Stoll is that he can hit the net. Also is obviously an incredibly smooth skater.
-Jones is just so calm in the net. You don't really beat him low. One thing he really, really needs to do is play farther out. Way too deep in his crease. Also wear Vaughn.
-Nick Shore is such a nice guy. Really liked talking to him post game. We shared a good smile when I asked if it was sweeter to score his 1st pro goal on his old goalie. He also had a good game and is used literally in all scenarios. 1st PK unit, 2nd PP unit, used in OT. He's good not great on faceoffs. Can replace Stoll for sure.
-Andreoff has in a word disappointed me. I just haven't seen IT from him yet.
Thought I would give me two cents on this.

Disagree with you on Weal, at this point in time. Seems to be a lot of flash, without much jam. Doesn't seem to want to use his teammates unless it is to try and set up a one pass tap-in for a goal. Not necessarily a smart way to create line chemistry, as the puck needs to continuously find the open guys in order to create more scoring changes. It seems he does not understand that by continuously head manning and moving the puck, more points and goals will be created instead of hanging on and trying to create all on his own. Really needs to start to incorporate the other guys he is playing with. Trying to create scoring chances all on your own may slightly increase your own individual stats, but does nothing to create line chemistry. Also, does not seem to want to go into the dirty areas, either to score or for puck retrieval. Seems to hang out high while other players do the dirty work. Has skill, definitely, but his style of game can be frustrating to watch at times.

Kitsyn has been disappointing, although his minutes have been severely restricted. Does not surprise me, however, as I never really saw what the hype was all about. Too early to judge him at this point in time, however, have to see how he does if/when his minutes increase.

Already gave my thoughts on Sabourin, see post above, suffice it to say, I am not his biggest fan.

Bodnarchuk has been solid. Like his play. Smooth with the puck. His defensive game needs work, however. Otherwise I think he would be in the NHL playing for a team right now.

Miller has been hot and cold for me. Some times I watch him and think he can be a real player. Smooth with the puck with a good stride. Other times, however, he looks lost. He has a good shot though, I THINK I like him.

Jones has been good. There have been a few times where his reaction time was a bit slow, I remember one goal a few games ago where the opponent scored on a wrap-around that left me unimpressed. But I have always like Jones, I think he will be an NHL goalie in the future. Solid prospect, good player, Team Canada member, and a winner. Should be a good one at some point in time.

Shore, again, and I am not trying to be overly negative, just realistic, has been disappointing, although he is still a rookie. Getting second line PP time and PK time, and yet, looks INVISIBLE. I never notice him, EVER. Not a good sign, I don't think. Not overly physical, not a speedster, doesn't really create many scoring opportunities for himself, or teammates, he's just there. The Kings have really given him a BIG opportunity to start the year without him really having proven himself yet. We will see if the hype matches the production, which so far, has been non-existent. Same can be said for Andreoff, who is just INVISIBLE for most of the game. Not getting a whole lot of minutes, but when he's out there, does absolutely nothing. Will see on him, I suppose, as I think there is definitely talent there.

Best players for Manchester night in and night out, for me at least, has been Toffoli, Kozun, and Vey. Pearson has looked quite good, but also at times has looked quite poor, to me at least. There are a lot of rumors flying around that he is the guy that will be getting the call, although I am not convinced he is ready/or will succeed at the next level. He's smooth with the puck without being smooth. His skating stride is smooth without being smooth, choppy almost, if that makes sense to those of you out there. I really think there are more deserving guys down on the farm who are not generating as much "Hype," but should be given a look. Would love to hear from others on what I have to say on all of this. Challenge if you like, I do not take things personally. Just my opinion, I try to make it an informed one.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Vino

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCA View Post
Miller has been hot and cold for me. Some times I watch him and think he can be a real player. Smooth with the puck with a good stride. Other times, however, he looks lost. He has a good shot though, I THINK I like him.
Miller loses a lot of battles behind and front of the net. He must add at least 10 lbs more muscle, if he wants to play in the NHL. His offensive game is a lot better than defensive game.

What about Forbort? Do you think that he can play in the NHL one day? Definitely not now, but maybye 100 games in the AHL and then... .

Old
10-30-2013, 01:53 PM
HockeyCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino View Post
Miller loses a lot of battles behind and front of the net. He must add at least 10 lbs more muscle, if he wants to play in the NHL. His offensive game is a lot better than defensive game.

What about Forbort? Do you think that he can play in the NHL one day? Definitely not now, but maybye 100 games in the AHL and then... .
I do. Forbort is smooth, makes smart decisions, good passer out of the zone. For a first round pick, however, I think a lot of people will be disappointed. I do not view him as a top pairing guy, but definitely someone I can see in a top 6 role. Comparing him to a recent Monarch, Jake Muzzin, I view Forbort as not having as flashy an offensive game, and does not brings as much of a physical presence, but I feel Forbort is the better player, and is more fundamentally sound. I can see him in a year or two stepping into the Kings lineup, and fans not wanting to cut his head off right away for it. Won't blow you away, but he's productive, and pretty strong on his feet. With proper development in the minors, I can see him turning into a pretty good player, actually. As long as Kings fans temper their expectations of him, I think they will be pleased once he eventually makes the jump in a year or two.

Old
10-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Vino

Quote:
With proper development in the minors, I can see him turning into a pretty good player, actually. As long as Kings fans temper their expectations of him, I think they will be pleased once he eventually makes the jump in a year or two.
Thanks, much appreciated.

Old
10-30-2013, 02:31 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
I do. Forbort is smooth, makes smart decisions, good passer out of the zone. For a first round pick, however, I think a lot of people will be disappointed. I do not view him as a top pairing guy, but definitely someone I can see in a top 6 role. Comparing him to a recent Monarch, Jake Muzzin, I view Forbort as not having as flashy an offensive game, and does not brings as much of a physical presence, but I feel Forbort is the better player, and is more fundamentally sound. I can see him in a year or two stepping into the Kings lineup, and fans not wanting to cut his head off right away for it. Won't blow you away, but he's productive, and pretty strong on his feet. With proper development in the minors, I can see him turning into a pretty good player, actually. As long as Kings fans temper their expectations of him, I think they will be pleased once he eventually makes the jump in a year or two.
Sounds kind of like Aaron Miller?

Last edited by Fat Elvis: 10-30-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old
10-30-2013, 03:03 PM
HockeyCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
Sounds kind of like Aaron Miller?
If I remember correctly, I believe Miller was bigger than Forbort, both in height and weight. I think Forbort may have a better offensive game as well, while not being quite as "hard-nosed" steady. I think the naunces in Forbort's defensive game remind me more of a Rob Scuderi type, while at this point being nowhere near the high level of Scuderi's defensive game. But skating stride, his demeanor, his "steadiness," there are parallels there, in a sense.

Old
10-30-2013, 03:35 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Posters who can provide insight that goes beyond stat sheets and highlights are always valued, so thank you!

Old
10-30-2013, 03:54 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
If I remember correctly, I believe Miller was bigger than Forbort, both in height and weight. I think Forbort may have a better offensive game as well, while not being quite as "hard-nosed" steady. I think the naunces in Forbort's defensive game remind me more of a Rob Scuderi type, while at this point being nowhere near the high level of Scuderi's defensive game. But skating stride, his demeanor, his "steadiness," there are parallels there, in a sense.
I picked Miller because of his height, weight and seemingly a stay at home guy.
6'4 220.
Having not really watched Forbort outside of a couple ND games, I figured he was a better skater but less aggressive than Miller. Topping out at a solid #4 if let to mature some. I hope DF is a bit better offensively than Miller, and Scuderi for that matter. But, I'd be happy if he ends up being a solid #4.

Thanks for your insight though. Doubt I'll se a single game of theirs, so it's always nice to read opinions, even if they aren't always positive.

Old
10-31-2013, 05:26 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

How has deslauriers looked after being put to left wing? Is he still doing good?

Old
10-31-2013, 04:19 PM
Fat Elvis

Sabourin could be gripping a bit too tightly right now. The kid just signed his first contract and it's early in the season. Dude needs to exhale. The guy probably tops out as a Nolan of today(whom I expect to get better in the tomorrows to come), so my expectations aren't very lofty to begin with.

Old
11-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Ollie Weeks

Monarchs won 5-2 last night, without Vey and Toffoli.

Pearson, Weal and Kozun each with 1G, 2A, Deslauriers with 2A.

Old
11-02-2013, 12:17 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Great opportunity for Weal. I would really love to see him in a kings uni!!!

Old
11-02-2013, 06:36 PM
kingsboy11
#CalderCuporbust

Andreoff scores with an assist from Pearson.

Closed Thread