HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Uncle George Tries To Bring NFL To Olympic Stadium

Old
12-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

vCash: 500
OT: Uncle George Tries To Bring NFL To Olympic Stadium

http://www.rds.ca/football/chroniques/219349.html

This says that George Gillett is working with the NFL to bring a regular season game to Olympic Stadium. It also says that Gillet has some good contacts in the NFL.

That man...That man is really in business you guys, and I hope he doesn't bankrupt on his way to make himself richer.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 01:29 PM
Ford Prefect

I think that is next to impossible. The Big Owe would only seat about 58,000 people, which is smaller than any NFL stadium. Plus, what NFL team are you going to get to give up one of its home games to play here? How are they going to sell that to their season ticket holders, some of whom fork over BIG coin. Never mind the owners of the skyboxes.

The only way I see that as a possibility is if they were able to convince one of the Northeast teams, like the Jets, Giants, Bills or Pats to do it, so at least they would be able to shuttle their devout followers up. Realistically though, I don't see why any NFL owner would be willing to do it unless they were given a guaranteed gate.

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 01:31 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
I think that is next to impossible. The Big Owe would only seat about 58,000 people, which is smaller than any NFL stadium. Plus, what NFL team are you going to get to give up one of its home games to play here? How are they going to sell that to their season ticket holders, some of whom fork over BIG coin. Never mind the owners of the skyboxes.

The only way I see that as a possibility is if they were able to convince one of the Northeast teams, like the Jets, Giants, Bills or Pats to do it, so at least they would be able to shuttle their devout followers up. Realistically though, I don't see why any NFL owner would be willing to do it unless they were given a guaranteed gate.
It's an NFL project. Over the next 3 years (I think) every team in the NFL will play one game outside of the US.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 02:16 PM
habsfan11

I would be the happiest man in the world... if he ever got an NFL team here permently (i know it'll never happen) he would be the greatest owner in my books

habsfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 02:21 PM
terreur

A few years ago, I was really pissed that Molson decided to sell the team to an American. I really think that the Canadiens that have so much history should have stayed in Canada. But i've got to say that I was wrong. M. Gillett did some really good things for the Habs and really showed that he cared. I am really suprised by everythuing he does for the team.

Continue your good work!

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 03:43 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
It's an NFL project. Over the next 3 years (I think) every team in the NFL will play one game outside of the US.
I don't think that's right. That would mean 5 regular season games outside the US each season. I think they were planning on 2 games each year. The first are likely to be in Toronto and Mexico City.

I agree that the O would be too small for this kind of thing, though 58000 isn't actually that much smaller than a few of the NFL stadiums.

12-15-2006, 04:00 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
the olympic stadium stadium seats 58 for baseball, a football field is a fraction of the outfield, mad seats on the field if you wanted too

and yes the NFL is trying to come to other countries, so maybe it will be possible

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 04:01 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
I don't think that's right. That would mean 5 regular season games outside the US each season. I think they were planning on 2 games each year. The first are likely to be in Toronto and Mexico City.

I agree that the O would be too small for this kind of thing, though 58000 isn't actually that much smaller than a few of the NFL stadiums.

sounds like uncle George doesnt wanted to be outstaged .
I dont think the O would be too small they could just inflate ticket prices . for a one time event they could really make a killing

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...TPStory/Sports

Paul Godfrey, the president and chief executive officer of the Toronto Blue Jays who has been pressing Toronto's NFL viability for 20 years, said last night that Larry Tanenbaum, chairman of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, and media mogul Ted Rogers have joined forces and will bid on bringing an NFL regular-season game to Toronto in 2008 and 2009.

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 12-15-2006 at 04:07 PM.
Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 04:40 PM
Good Time Hutchy

Let the NFL stay in Yank Land. Although I enjoy the quality of game, any games north of the border will hurt the CFL. If Uncle Rogers tries to put a team in Toronto, I hope the Prime Minister pulls a Trudeau and blocks it aka The Toronto Northeman in the World Football League.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis_Southmen

Good Time Hutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Time Hutchy View Post
Let the NFL stay in Yank Land. Although I enjoy the quality of game, any games north of the border will hurt the CFL. If Uncle Rogers tries to put a team in Toronto, I hope the Prime Minister pulls a Trudeau and blocks it aka The Toronto Northeman in the World Football League.

If ted gets a NFL team in TO

the new canadain football leauge will exist from Sask to Bc only

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 05:09 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post

You are right it's 2 games a year over whatever time it takes for all the team to do it once.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 05:15 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Seb
Marc Denis had problems to come in Canada, imagine a whole NFL team HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 05:17 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
http://www.rds.ca/football/chroniques/219349.html

This says that George Gillett is working with the NFL to bring a regular season game to Olympic Stadium. It also says that Gillet has some good contacts in the NFL.

That man...That man is really in business you guys, and I hope he doesn't bankrupt on his way to make himself richer.
For one game a year: it would work FOR SURE!!!

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 08:26 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Time Hutchy View Post

The NFL will never exist in Toronto. Mark my words.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 08:49 PM
KeydGV21

To help clarify for everyone it's 2 games a year for 16 years... Eastern teams will likely go to Europe, western based teams will likely go to Canada/Mexico.

58,000 While on the small side is more then the Indianapolis Colts average per game despite selling out every game (though apparantly only at 95% capacity, go figure)...http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/attendance

As for the NFL never going to Toronto there was a lot of talk a few years back of the Bills going there and here in Buffalo there is still a lot of talk of the Bills ending up in Toronto, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the posibility especially with the ever narrowing gap of the strength of our dollar versus your dollar.

I know you've got the CFL but I honestly have very little knowledge of what sort of fanbase football has in Toronto or Montreal (the two most likely canidates to get a team full time) or even Canada as a whole so I'm not sure how much that would help TV ratings (for those that don't know NFL teams get something like 80 million a year just in national television deals) As far at the NFL is concerned that you would attend a game really means nothing it's the all mighty television dollar that matters.

As for that Mark Denis point what kind of rules do you have on people with criminal records coming into the country? The NFL has more then it's fair share of those with legal problems.

KeydGV21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

If Gillett can pull this off, I may just renounce my Pittsburgh Penguins fandom card and convert to la Sainte Flanelle.

Nah...but man would the NFL in Montreal ever be awesome! I was at the Jets-Browns preseason game back in 1985? or was it 1987??? Been a Jets fan ever since.

Do it, George. Do it!

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
I'd love to see the Jets play a game here. I'd... well, I'd go.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 11:00 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

The Big O sat 68,000 for the Grey Cup and that was with a CFL size field, so 70,000 may not be out of the question with extra grandstands in the end zones, which is on par with many NFL stadiums

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote