HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

View Poll Results: If the Oilers end up with the #1 overall pick, who would you select?
Sam Reinhart 16 4.92%
Aaron Ekblad 286 88.00%
William Nylander 6 1.85%
Leon Draisaitl 9 2.77%
Other (explain) 8 2.46%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2013, 04:23 PM
DousedInOil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You would think with all those "bonafide" centers we would be better than we are. Well we arent that good. And we have next to nothing in the system.
I said that RNH will be a bonafide number one, not that he already was. I mean, look at the Tortono Maple Leafs, they don't have a legit bonafide number one but are still winning hockey games.

Also, Gagner has been out the entire season and RNH had an injury at the start as well. Any team that loses their top 2 centers will have a rough time.

Don't get me wrong, I think we can upgrade on Gagner (get someone bigger) and bring aboard someone like Steve Ott to play on the wing but fill in at center when injuries occur.

I'd e happy with Reinhart for obvious reasons but our lack of top pairing defencemen is a much bigger need.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

The fact that people are ok with being in position to pick Ekblad/Reinhart makes me sad.

If we draft top-10, this season was a failure

Old
11-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Baggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
The fact that people are ok with being in position to pick Ekblad/Reinhart makes me sad.

The season is already a failure. 11 points out of a wild card spot before November = massive fail.

Old
11-02-2013, 06:24 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers View Post
The season is already a failure. 11 points out of a wild card spot before November = massive fail.
Ya. It'll take a MASSIVE winning streak to even have this be a decent season

11-02-2013, 07:10 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post

Weve won three of our first fourteen games. What exactly are people supposed to think?

Old
11-02-2013, 08:45 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
With Philly winning 1-0 tonight,the Oilers are now 29th in the league.

Old
11-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
With Philly winning 1-0 tonight,the Oilers are now 29th in the league.
Life is good.

Old
11-02-2013, 08:53 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Life is good.
Just imagine if somehow we won the draft lottery.Bahahahaha

I'm sorry but that would be funny since there was talk of the Oilers trying to make the playoffs this year.

Old
11-02-2013, 08:53 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

McDavid should also be wrapped up for us by next Christmas as well... another shiny present under the tree for us all.

Old
11-02-2013, 08:56 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
McDavid should also be wrapped up for us by next Christmas as well... another shiny present under the tree for us all.
Taylor Hall-Connor McDavid-Nail Yakupov
Tyler Benson-Ryan Nugent-Hopkins-Jordan Eberle

Nurse-Ekblad

It's all part of the plan.

Old
11-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Taylor Hall-Connor McDavid-Nail Yakupov
Tyler Benson-Ryan Nugent-Hopkins-Jordan Eberle

Nurse-Ekblad

It's all part of the plan.
you forgot the rest of the team

Smyth (Yep resigned him again) - Gordon - Hemsky (him too)
Jones - Acton/Lander - Gazdic

Smid - Petry
Ference - J.Schultz
Klefbom

Dubnyk
Roy

Old
11-02-2013, 09:34 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I said that RNH will be a bonafide number one, not that he already was. I mean, look at the Tortono Maple Leafs, they don't have a legit bonafide number one but are still winning hockey games.

Also, Gagner has been out the entire season and RNH had an injury at the start as well. Any team that loses their top 2 centers will have a rough time.

Don't get me wrong, I think we can upgrade on Gagner (get someone bigger) and bring aboard someone like Steve Ott to play on the wing but fill in at center when injuries occur.

I'd e happy with Reinhart for obvious reasons but our lack of top pairing defencemen is a much bigger need.
This. I once again go back to the Ice Dogs last year. During the lockout they had Hamilton playing 30 minutes a night and they were one of the top teams in the league. The lost him, and lost something like 10 of 12 games and dropped far in the standings.

#1 d-man is the most important thing to look for.

Old
11-03-2013, 12:17 AM
rockinghockey

I would go with the dman. We might think that our dmen are decent but what has Smid, Petry, Belov, J.Schultz, and N.Schultz proven that they are top 4 dmen nothing.

Old
11-03-2013, 01:24 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Draft Ekblad, move any combination of the Daigles for Weber, or OEL or Pieterangelo, anybody and build the team properly.

True number one - Petry
Klefbom - Ekblad
Schultz - Ference
Belov

Old
11-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Hypothetical scenario in which Ekblad is taken who do we want? (assume no trade)

How many tables can we flip in rage as a messageboard community?

11-03-2013, 05:37 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Hypothetical scenario in which Ekblad is taken who do we want? (assume no trade)

Reinhart. If both are gone, then guys like Sam Bennett, Leon Draisaitl, Michael dal Colle, Nick Richie, Roland McKoewn come into play.

Old
11-03-2013, 06:21 PM
shogun99

It's pretty much a guarantee that we're drafting top 10 again. Do whatever it takes to draft Ekblad. Something they should have done this past draft when Jones fell to #4.

Old
11-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Oilers4life1987

Ok, in the first round if the Oilers pick top 10 again, I'd like to see these players picked in order: Ekblad, Draisailt, Virtanen, Bennett, Dal Cole, McCann, Mckeown.

But since Roy or Bunz might be busts, which goalie in this draft should they go after if available: Nikita Serebryakov, Alex Nedeljkovic, Mason McDonald, Kaapo Kähkönen, Thatcher Demko, Blake Weyrick, Payton Lee?

I believe with our wingers are pretty stocked and this draft is one where the Oilers need to boolster their center & goalie depth. If lucky probably get a hidden gem as a winger.

Old
11-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post

For me:
1. Ekblad
2. Reinhart
3. Nylander (he doesn't fit our needs, but by the looks of it the gap between 3 and 4 is gigantic and you gotta go BPA or make a trade)
4. Draisatl
5. Dal Colle
6. Bennett
7. Ritchie
8. Virtanen
9. McKeown
10. Kempe (probably a bit high, but he's the type of board battler we need to complement RNH)

Old
11-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Sethis

vCash: 725
So. That Detroit game happened. As a result, I'm back to all my usual prospect hot spots. Ho hum, one more fernakkin' year.

For me, the #1 guy in this draft has got to be Reinhart. He's a right handed 2-way C, the yin to Nuge's yang, that 'ubiquitous' type guy we need in the top 6, and would be an excellent compliment to Hall's game. He looks to have a frame to build some muscle and the compete level/willingness to build a complete game. I really think he could be that elusive Bergeron/Toews/Kesler type, and would be in a perfect position to develop his talents with next years iteration of our team.

Besides that, there's the long development timeline all defensemen face relative to forwards. The same reason I wanted Larsson early in the rebuild process is the reason I would shy away from Ekblad late. We already got Nurse and Klefa bubbling under (both of whom are very similar to Ekblad), and while Schultz seems to be taking a hit to his projections this years, I've long maintained that he'll be a Mathieu Schneider type at his peak, which is very valuable in a top 4.

IMO, this is the year to swap one of the wunderkids out for an equal type on the back end and throw some of our B prospects (Marincin, etc.) at a chance to move up come draft time--with the thought that we'll pick it up when our players return and finish somewhere in the 5-10 range. A package centered around Eberle or Yakupov should be able to net us someone further along toward being an impact defenseman that fits with the rest of the cluster. Maybe someone like Douggie Hamilton or Jacob Trouba? I would love to add a Trouba to the Nurse/Klefa/Schultzy core we're building.

Old
11-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Toydarian

It would be somewhat depressing if EDM ends up with the 3rd overall pick and both Ekblad and Reinhart aren't available, leaving Nylander.

EDIT: Spelling

Last edited by Toydarian: 11-04-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old
11-04-2013, 07:13 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
It would be somewhat depressing if EDM ends up with the 3rd overall pick and both Ekblad and Reinhart are available, leaving Nylander.
really, that would be right in line with the oilers luck though, don't you think? lol

honestly though, i can't see how we pick in the top-5 this year.... a *lot* of things haev had to go wrong to put us where we are right now in the standings, and we're 1 win away from not picking in the top-5... i'll agree that right now it looks like we'll never win another hockey game for the next 100 years, but it always seems like that when teams are playing like crap

i don't think we'll have anywhere close to another 15 game stretch for the rest of the year that is as bad as the last 15 games have been

Old
11-04-2013, 07:18 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Quote:
It would be somewhat depressing if EDM ends up with the 3rd overall pick and both Ekblad and Reinhart aren't available, leaving Nylander.

EDIT: Spelling
I was pretty much a broken human being when I saw Feasters fat mug select Monahan....but I'm coming around to Nurse...lots of good prospects to like this year.

(please ekblad please ekblad please ekblad)

Old
11-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Nic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Draft Ekblad, move any combination of the Daigles for Weber, or OEL or Pieterangelo, anybody and build the team properly.

True number one - Petry
Klefbom - Ekblad
Schultz - Ference
Belov
You say that like it's easy. I think it's safe to say the only reason any of those teams moves any of those defencemen is for money, and if they have to do that they will want a kings ransom.

Old
11-04-2013, 11:08 PM
misfit

Quote:
I'm not sure Nylander will end up the #3 ranked prospect when it's all said and done. But there are lots of players to like at the top of this draft. I just hope we can find a way to not be in a position to make that kind of decision (winning the lottery from the 14 spot notwithstanding).

What really concerns me is how MacT plans to address his desire to upgrade the goaltending pipeline. This draft seems awfully weak between the pipes.