HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

It's about time for a Kreider thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2013, 09:51 PM
noupf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersChamps2417 View Post
There's gonna come a day (I think its soon) when Kreider is our best forward. I personally feel he has the skating ability of Gabby, the power of Nash and does some of the things Cally and Stepan do. We could be watching the next great Ranger star being born in front of our eyes

two things that bother me......

1) I dont think he quite has the hands of a legit 1st line forward. Maybe a good second liner....

2) Does he even want to stay here after this season ( his contract is up this year correct? )

Old
11-01-2013, 10:18 PM
KreidertheGlider
MDZ for NYR Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post

1) I dont think he quite has the hands of a legit 1st line forward. Maybe a good second liner....

2) Does he even want to stay here after this season ( his contract is up this year correct? )
1) I actually like his hands. If Kreider at his peak is on your 2nd line your team is stacked.

2) where else would he want to play than the best city in the world. It's all about money.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

I don't think Kreider has ever shown, at any level, the ability to completely dominate a game by himself. This is something that Rick Nash can and has done over his career. Gaborik never has been able to do that, but he's got the skill to do it for sure.

Kreider is the kinda guy you put on your top line with a guy like Nash and Stepan or whatever, and he can become a monster player.

The Leclair to Lindros. Leclair was a really good player, but became a legit star playing with Lindros.

Old
11-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
Quote:

He's only an RFA, the Rangers retain his rights, so he doesn't have much say in the matter.

Old
11-01-2013, 11:46 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Quote:

1) It's pretty hard to say how good his hands are right now, much less to predict how they'll be in the future. The good part is that he doesn't need good hands to score given his size and speed. If he gets into the good areas, he'll be an effective power forward even without great hand. I couldn't imagine a scenario that he doesn't score 15+ goals a season (if he gets into those areas and scores the goals Cally and Hagelin are capable of). That's not elite but that's pretty good for a scoring floor. Most elite scorers shoot over .120. Kreider is at .118 for his NHL career. That's the same as Johan Franzen and he's regularly around 30 goal. That's definitely 1st line territory.

He's a boom-or-bust prospect with a floor that's still pretty high. He's not likely to hit 40 goals but most players never do. He has a skillset that makes it not out of reach, though.

2) He's an RFA so it's not his choice to leave quite yet. Being in New York is a pretty good situation and the only team closer to where he grew up is the Bruins. As much as it makes sense to all of us, it's not that often that a player leave to go play for his hometown team for less money. I think we have a pretty safe chance of keeping him if we want.

Old
11-02-2013, 12:28 AM
BlessThisMess513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan Auto View Post
He's a boom-or-bust prospect with a floor that's still pretty high. He's not likely to hit 40 goals but most players never do. He has a skillset that makes it not out of reach, though.
How is he a boom or bust prospect when how he's playing right now make's for a effective player? Then you go on to contradict youself the very next sentence...

Old
11-02-2013, 05:50 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC704 View Post
I was there tonight, and Buffalo at the moment is awful, but from what I saw, Kreider's defensive play has drastically gotten better. I think he's finally responsible enough to the point where the coaching staff can feel relieved to leave him on the ice in bigger situations. He's back checking, communicating with teammates (and its noticeable) and out muscling other players on the boards for pucks in his own end. Still has a way to go, but he has really improved from last season.

I also believe that the early injuries might have been a blessing in disguise. He doesn't look like he's thinking anymore, at all. He's going and he's playing, and the results are there for all of us to see. He scored again tonight, going to/near the net, off a rebound. He was poised, collected himself VERY quickly and shot it in from an incredibly tough angle. His skill has been on full display this season. If you guys thought Zucc-Stepan-Kreider looked great together, imagine what a healthy Callahan can do on that line, bumping down Zucc to once again play with Brassard. The All-American Line IS coming. That line is going to wear a lot of teams down.

Edit: I hate making comparisons, but Kreider has honestly looked like JVR these last few games. He's been actually using his size and pounding near the net, making skilled plays EVERYWHERE on the ice, getting himself into great spots and shooting the puck like crazy. He's finally playing tenaciously.
Do you think Cally is as creative as Zucc? I don't. Zucc-Stepan-Kreider are developing chemistry. Why break them up?

Old
11-02-2013, 06:08 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Are you saying Kreider is big and strong? I came over this, he got leveled by Murray the other day. Maybe he needs to spend more time in the weight room, to avoid getting tossed like that.

He wasn't expecting to be hit. That's why Murray got the penalty. That said, Murray is built like a brick **** house. I'd hate to see a full on collision between those two. Murray would come out on top 9 times out of ten. Perhaps when Kreider fills out in 3-5 years. It's amazing for a guy this big, 6'3'' 230 lbs. plus, to be so agile.

Old
11-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Don't forget Kreider leveled Chara.

Old
11-02-2013, 09:03 AM
NYRangers723

Quote:

1. I think he has the ceiling to be a good 1st line forward as long as he can play with guys who can skate and pass the puck well in the right sports for him (Zucc and Stepan) Since he ahs been called up he has basically been out best top line player

2.) He is a RFA.

Old
11-02-2013, 10:39 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Are you saying Kreider is big and strong? I came over this, he got leveled by Murray the other day. Maybe he needs to spend more time in the weight room, to avoid getting tossed like that.

You do know that Murray has 20 pounds on Kreider right?

Old
11-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Well...

This one was bad. Seriously, Im surprised he wasn't knocked out there, guess he must be pretty tough then.

Just stop.

Seriously.

11-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Riverdale

So players who are big and strong (like Kreider) can never get hit?

Sweet logic.

Old
11-02-2013, 12:32 PM
NYRangers723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
So players who are big and strong (like Kreider) can never get hit?

Sweet logic.
Exactly I dont get what that guy is trying to prove. I mean a few years back TJ oshie(who is a tough hitter) leveled rick nash 2 straight games and Nash is at least 4 inches taller and maybe 20 lbs bigger

Old
11-02-2013, 12:50 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
he was damaged by torts. hes just now getting his confidence back.

if i were lucky enough to be any ny ranger player, i would be ryan mcdonough or kris kreider. both guys with immense talent and elite wheels.

to be 6'3 and 220 lbs and have a stride like kreider has is filthy. skys the limit if he figures out how to use his size and speed on every shift.
I dunno I feel like a lot of it was still just him not being ready which happens often with guys who are 21 and under.

Old
11-02-2013, 12:55 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
what ever do you mean? Don't you realize that being treated like crap makes every player want to perform their best???

Dont you realize that if you're not living up to expectations, , its always the players fault...... duh !!!
This seems to imply that people have been saying something along the lines of "Kreider is 100% to blame for not developing last year." But nobody seems to be saying that so this seems silly to say

Old
11-02-2013, 06:16 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Maybe Richards called in a favor with Olivia Munn?

Don't think it actually was that, but hey, let's be honest,
if there's anything that's gonna put a snap in most of us, that'd do it.

So THAT's the reason we didn't amnesty Richards this year!

Old
11-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
he was damaged by torts. hes just now getting his confidence back.

if i were lucky enough to be any ny ranger player, i would be ryan mcdonough or kris kreider. both guys with immense talent and elite wheels.

to be 6'3 and 220 lbs and have a stride like kreider has is filthy. skys the limit if he figures out how to use his size and speed on every shift.
Damaged by Torts? How so?

He let Kreider come in and play in the playoffs. A pretty big role, too.

Then, Kreider absolutely bombed it in pre-season and had a HORRENDOUS AHL season as well. Are we really going to sit here and blame his AHL play on Torts? If that's the case, than he's more mentally weak than we were aware of and it would be a huge problem.

I don't think he's that mentally weak to have been "damaged" by Torts, man.

Old
11-02-2013, 08:52 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Damaged by Torts? How so?

He let Kreider come in and play in the playoffs. A pretty big role, too.

Then, Kreider absolutely bombed it in pre-season and had a HORRENDOUS AHL season as well. Are we really going to sit here and blame his AHL play on Torts? If that's the case, than he's more mentally weak than we were aware of and it would be a huge problem.

I don't think he's that mentally weak to have been "damaged" by Torts, man.

It's all on Torts the Clown. He's a bad, bad man.

Old
11-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
It's all on Torts the Clown. He's a bad, bad man.
Yeah, dude apparently managed our AHL squad, too. Who know?

Old
11-02-2013, 09:02 PM
JC704

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Do you think Cally is as creative as Zucc? I don't. Zucc-Stepan-Kreider are developing chemistry. Why break them up?
Yeah, at this point, I wouldn't either! Haha. Pair Brassard with Miller and Callahan, so instead of Kreider-Step-Cally, make the top three lines:

Zucc-Step-Kreider
Hag-Richards-Nash (bumps Pouliot down)
Miller/Pouliot/Boyle-Brass-Cally (Brass needs skilled guys to succeed)
Miller/Pouliot-Boyle/Moore-Pyatt/Dorsett

Lot of options.

Old
11-02-2013, 09:10 PM
NYRangers723

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC704 View Post
Yeah, at this point, I wouldn't either! Haha. Pair Brassard with Miller and Callahan, so instead of Kreider-Step-Cally, make the top three lines:

Zucc-Step-Kreider
Hag-Richards-Nash (bumps Pouliot down)
Miller/Pouliot/Boyle-Brass-Cally (Brass needs skilled guys to succeed)
Miller/Pouliot-Boyle/Moore-Pyatt/Dorsett

Lot of options.

I agree, i like pouliat but id much rather have cally with hags and richards. Zucc-Step-Kreider is our most effective offensive line. its funny they werent very good in teh first period but when we needed a spark they destrpyed carolina in the last 2 periods. they have the chemistry to turn on a switch and make plays

Old
11-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 504
Kreider has scored 4.46 P/60 5v5 with a 7.4% on-ice shooting percentage. That's insane, a 7.4% almost insinuates that his scoring should regress upwards. That's how well he has been playing since his call-up.

Oh and 4.46 P/60 is Crosby-level of scoring for context.

I've been hard on him in the past, but boy is he playing lights out at the moment!

Old
11-02-2013, 09:48 PM
trilobyte

It's too early, and there is not enough known, to say to what level Kreider will evolve. So far, at least we see that he is out of the blocks, so to speak. We saw his skill in the playoffs two years ago. We saw him struggle with finding his way. We see him now exploring what he is good at and how he fits.

Old
11-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Savant

Kreider needs to be a high octane energy guy. This is what he is doing now to great effect. He isn't afraid of getting benched for making a mistake any more and he is looking great. His line dominated tonight.

Closed Thread