HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thinking Ahead to our Free Agent situation

Old
12-15-2006, 05:27 PM
habitants9_4

vCash: 500
Thinking Ahead to our Free Agent situation

I know I am looking ahead, but I would be interested in knowing what you guys think will happen with our UFA situation:

Montreal Canadiens
Sheldon Souray - 2.432.000...Will likely go closer to his daughter

Andrei Markov - 2.000.000...Raise to 4.5
Janne Niinimaa - 2.508.000..Give away to keep Markov and replace from within.
Craig Rivet - 2.470.000...Might test Free Agency
Mike Johnson - 1.900.000 - Re-sign for approx 2mil, you think he would take it?
David Aebischer - 1.900.000 Will let walk to free up cap space
Radek Bonk - 2.394.000 - Replace from within let some of the youth take his role.
Aaron Downey - Will re-sign cheaply 475.000
Pat Traverse - Traded away today

Good thing is were gonna make some cap room and not really lose much on the offensive end. If we don't sign 2 D's were screwed.

Questions I would like some input on:
Who will replace Aebischer?
Yann Danis would be a terrible backup, but very cheap. If there is an injury it would be a big issue. Although Halak and Price should both be very good AHL goalies, but neither of them are good enough to be an NHL backup. Will we maybe sign someone
Who can replace Markov, Rivet or Souray?
Will we resign Johnson?

Here is a short list of D's possibly available:
O'Donnel, Vishnevski, DeVries, Stuart, Numminem, Hamrlik, Vaananen, Briesbois, Berard, Modry, Markov, Jackman, Miller,Skoula, Timonen, Rafalski, Poti, Hill, Ozolinsh, Phillips, Preissing, Hannan, Brewer, Salo, Fitzpatrick

If we'd lose Markov I would def go after Timonen, Rafalski or Hannan
If we'd lose Komisarek a cheap replacement could be Ozolinsh, but good ones would be Salo, Numminem, Brewer

Rivet go for Vishnevski, Hamrlik, Phillips, Markov

Unless we lose all 3 without getting anyone in return I think we should be ok...Ideally we keep Markov, sign another really good one and keep Rivet

habitants9_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 05:40 PM
lennywebster

IMO :

1.Souray
2.Markov
3.Rivet
4.David Aebischer
5.Mike Johnson
6.Radek Bonk

are the priority.

and BTW .. Mike Komisarek and Chris Higgins .. will NEVER leave MTL. Even when the big money will come up.

lennywebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 05:51 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

If we end up paying Johnson over 2M$ I hope it's for a top 6 role. A 2M$ dollar 3rd liner is overpriced. Mike Grier signed at around 1.5M as a UFA and would fill that role much better.

edit: Grier signed at 1.75. I guess Johnson if he accepted a very small payraise would fit on the 3rd. I don't think he will accept that little though.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 06:01 PM
RNiner

1.Souray
2.Markov
3.Rivet
4.David Aebischer
5.Mike Johnson
6.Radek Bonk

Of those, I'd only give the top 2 any effort. Let the others walk. We have way too much young talent to be giving Johnson or Bonk 2 mil each, even though they deserve it. Lapierre and Kost can step in, with Pleks taking over Bonk's role and Kost taking Pleks spot.

I've heard many say that Pleks isn't as good as Bonk. That may be true, but the difference isn't all that big, and the savings are hugely important. If we let all those guys walk, we just might be able to swing both Souray and Markov.

Souray, Markov, Pleks 3rd line C, Kost 2nd line, Laps 4th line C
looks much better than
Markov, Bonk, Johnson, Kost and Laps having no real place.

Now that said, I wouldn't mind keeping Johnson and/or Bonk if we could dump Samsonov. But that will likely be somewhat difficult.

RNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 06:17 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNiner View Post
1.Souray
2.Markov
3.Rivet
4.David Aebischer
5.Mike Johnson
6.Radek Bonk

I wouldn't be surprised if BG didn't even make an offer to Abby, Bonk and Johnson. Mainly because the first 3 UFA will likely tie up all our money.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 06:33 PM
phil666

as much as i like johnson, if he doesn't get top 6 foward minutes, i wouldn't be surprised to see him quit montreal and play for a team that will pay him 2.5m+ and get him to play top6minutes. I highly doubt he'll be staying in montreal, as much as he may like the city.

phil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Mathletic

who are the restriced free agents for next summer ?

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 06:53 PM
znk

1.Markov
2.Souray
3.Bonk
4.Rivet
5.Johnson
6.Aebischer

I think if we have the same lineup when summer comes choices will be made between Bonk and Plekanec if we are to open a spot at center. And Johnson might go to make room for a wigner(ex:Kost)

I think Salo would be a great addition to this team...he's verry under rated.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 07:16 PM
hockey_nut

after we win the cup, everyone will want to stay anyway, so what are you all worried about?

hockey_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 08:12 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
who are the restriced free agents for next summer ?
Komisarek, Ryder, Higgins, Perezhogin, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, Locke, Urquhart, Lambert, Milroy, Archer, Ferland, Cote.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 09:28 PM
tinyzombies

This team has two years to go. I don't think Gainey will do anything drastic with the Koivu-Kovalev-Huet core. He's going to want to develop kids until the French superstars throughout the league start becoming available via UFA in a year or two. (Briere anyone?) That'll probably be his main focus.

I doubt we'll re-sign Souray if he continues at this pace. Not only would he not be worth the money, he's a liability on defense. I would sign a cheaper UFA and upgrade our defense here.

Rivet will probably be available for a similar amount of money, and we probably have no choice but to re-sign him since we're gonna lose Souray no doubt. He'd probably go for the same salary for three years. Again, we don't really have a choice. We could have signed a UFA D this summer instead of Samsonov but blew it.

Markov is a MUST, or this team is in big trouble. $4.8-5 mil no doubt even though he hasn't played like that so far this year. I would lock him up for 5 years too.

Bonk is probably a no. And I wouldn't want him unless he signed a one year deal anyway because he'd just go back to sleep.

Niinimaa is a NO I hope.

Aebischer is a no.

Would be nice if we could see a little asset management trickery like Bob has pulled off in the past. Personally, I could do without another "exciting" second round exit. I'd like to see him gamble and take a shot at the Cup. We're gonna have to re-do the core in two years anyway because Koivu and Kovalev will be old, and who knows about Huet.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 12-15-2006 at 09:35 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 01:23 AM
habitants9_4

Worst case senario we lose Markov, Souray, Rivet and Niinimaa...........Which 3 guys TOP 3 not most likely would be signed???????
I would say this:
Salo(Cheap...around 3mil with tonnes of upside)
Hannan(Just a simple tank him, Timonen and Markov will get the bucks...aswell as Souray if he keeps this track record)
mARKOV(Daniel is a guy who would impress defensively and hits a lot, I would love the Habs to resign Andrei and get Dan...Imagine this next year....
Markov Markov
Streit Komisarek
Bouillin Dandenault
Yemelin O'Byrne
doesn't look nearly as good but you have to expect a significant loss at the defensive position this offseason

habitants9_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 07:03 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitants9_4 View Post
I know I am looking ahead, but I would be interested in knowing what you guys think will happen with our UFA situation:

Montreal Canadiens
Sheldon Souray - 2.432.000...Will likely go closer to his daughter

Andrei Markov - 2.000.000...Raise to 4.5
Janne Niinimaa - 2.508.000..Give away to keep Markov and replace from within.
Craig Rivet - 2.470.000...Might test Free Agency
Mike Johnson - 1.900.000 - Re-sign for approx 2mil, you think he would take it?
David Aebischer - 1.900.000 Will let walk to free up cap space
Radek Bonk - 2.394.000 - Replace from within let some of the youth take his role.
Aaron Downey - Will re-sign cheaply 475.000
We are in the CAP ERA, so losing a player to free agency is not a disaster like it used to be.

I think we have to look at team chemistry and the roles people play.

Looked at that way, we obviously let Janne Ninimaa go (can we get a 5th round pick at the trading deadline?), and of the remaining three UFA defencemen, Craig Rivet is the most expendable. Mike Komisarek has already passed him talent-wise and fills the role of strong right-handed shooting defensive defenceman.

On the other hand, Sheldon Souray is an absolutely KEY part of the dressing room, and there are not many defencemen in the whole league better at BOTH the power play and penalty kill than Sheldon. He has the respect of the team and he actually likes playing here. KEEP HIM!

Markov = puck control. Puck control improves BOTH offence and defence. 'Nuff said on that one.

We should try to retain Bonk and Johnson if the cost is about what we are currently paying. If this is impossible, we fill one spot from the farm and sign a new UFA if we lose both guys.

Aebischer could be moved at the trade deadline. He might fetch a decent pick from a club that needs a goalie (due to injury or poor performance) for the stretch run. Halak would become the backup and Price will move into Hamilton next year.

Downey is nothing to think about either way. We can decide in June.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 08:42 AM
GreatWhiteLark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
We are in the CAP ERA, so losing a player to free agency is not a disaster like it used to be.

I think we have to look at team chemistry and the roles people play.

Looked at that way, we obviously let Janne Ninimaa go (can we get a 5th round pick at the trading deadline?), and of the remaining three UFA defencemen, Craig Rivet is the most expendable. Mike Komisarek has already passed him talent-wise and fills the role of strong right-handed shooting defensive defenceman.

On the other hand, Sheldon Souray is an absolutely KEY part of the dressing room, and there are not many defencemen in the whole league better at BOTH the power play and penalty kill than Sheldon. He has the respect of the team and he actually likes playing here. KEEP HIM!

Markov = puck control. Puck control improves BOTH offence and defence. 'Nuff said on that one.

We should try to retain Bonk and Johnson if the cost is about what we are currently paying. If this is impossible, we fill one spot from the farm and sign a new UFA if we lose both guys.

Aebischer could be moved at the trade deadline. He might fetch a decent pick from a club that needs a goalie (due to injury or poor performance) for the stretch run. Halak would become the backup and Price will move into Hamilton next year.

Downey is nothing to think about either way. We can decide in June.
I agree wholeheartedly on Souray, and think he's one of the best (now) in the league, but I have to wonder even if we had the dough to throw at him, which we do, what his intentions are on staying.

If his intentions are to sign elsewhere, and Gainey has a pulse on it, he owes it to us (the fans) and the organization to trade him for maximum value and make Markov a priority.

Do you think in hindsight, Vancouver would have been better off dealing Jovonovski for an established player, prospect and draft pick instead of him walking as an UFA. Same with Ottawa and Chara? (Although I can see why they didn't as they were Cup contenders).

Look at Shanahan, we offered the same (if not more) money than New York, but Shanny wanted to play there.

I like Souray, I think he brings a hell of a lot to the team and is now one of the top 6 D men in the league. I wish he finished his career in Montreal.

I just think all things being equal, he won't sign with us. For personal reasons more so than club reasons, and given that I think we should auction him to the highest bidder for everything we can. I don't think we should let a guy of that calibre walk as an UFA for little or no compensation.

We can always try to resign him in the offseason again.

GreatWhiteLark is offline   Reply With Quote