HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rasmus Ristolainen, RD 8th Overall, 2013

Old
07-10-2013, 03:39 PM
Imlach a cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
Admittedly I have no idea how thier mandatory military service works, but doesn't Armia play hockey too?
and he completed his over the summers

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 03:52 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Re: Ristolainen in Rochester/Finland, I wouldn't be surprised if the organization's position is that the Sabres can buy him out of his Finnish contract, and, at that point, can do whatever they want with him. Whether that's a good practice or not is another question, but Pegula may be applying the "If I pay you off, why do you care?" card. Quintessentially American that T-Pegs.
If that was allowed, you'd see more teams do it and the Russian factor wouldn't be as big of a concern.
The player or the player's agent can pay for a buy out, but not the team.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 03:54 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
They didn't bring in a $3.775m player to play in Rochester. If anyone goes to Rochester, it's going to be Sulzer. But given the lack of depth at forward, I wouldn't be surprised if they carry one spare forward, and two spare defensemen.
I might respect the argument that Sulzer is more likely to be the odd man out based on hockey skill, but why is salary even relevant?

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
I might respect the argument that Sulzer is more likely to be the odd man out based on hockey skill, but why is salary even relevant?
Why did they bring him in to put him in Rochester? It's not like they took him on to get another deal done a la Pardy and Kotalik. Further, nothing in his underlying numbers suggest he isn't an NHL defenseman right now. That he was getting scratched on a blueline better than ours--and there were articles from their beat reporters thinking that some of it was unfair to Hank--doesn't suggest he'll be in Rochester.

Doak's comment was meant to provoke a response, and I indulged him. Tallinder isn't getting sent to Rochester.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 04:06 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Why did they bring him in to put him in Rochester? It's not like they took him on to get another deal done a la Pardy and Kotalik. Further, nothing in his underlying numbers suggest he isn't an NHL defenseman right now. That he was getting scratched on a blueline better than ours--and there were articles from their beat reporters thinking that some of it was unfair to Hank--doesn't suggest he'll be in Rochester.

Doak's comment was meant to provoke a response, and I indulged him. Tallinder isn't getting sent to Rochester.
I'm sure they hope he's on the opening night roster, sure as they probably have an idle hope that he transforms Myers into his rookie form. Doesn't mean it's going to happen. If management is guaranteeing it, however, that's a disservice to the young guard who deserve a chance to beat him out for a spot.

I look at Hank and I think the most likely thing is a bottom pairing guy who can help teach the positional game to his partner. But he's lost a lot of step in the last three years, and aging only works in one direction. If he loses another step, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Ristolainen deserved that spot more than him.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:24 PM
aceface33

So can we get someone in our vaunted Buffalo sports media to call out Regier on being completely wrong about the contract status of our highest draft pick in a decade? "What has Regier done wrong"...well, shouldn't he be on top of stuff like this?

Actually I wouldn't expect anyone of the TBN/WGR ilk to understand the ins and outs of prospect contracts and rules so maybe one of you guys could write a blog about it.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:

No one's saying they "brought him in for Rochester". They brought in Sulzer and Tallinder for depth and competition. If those guys don't win the competition, it's not hard to see them in Rochester, specifically Sulzer. Tallinder I think they would carry as a scratch if he didn't make the top 6, but they can risk Sulzer on waivers in the situation that, say, McNabb and Risto/Ruhwedel both make the top 6.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:33 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
So can we get someone in our vaunted Buffalo sports media to call out Regier on being completely wrong about the contract status of our highest draft pick in a decade? "What has Regier done wrong"...well, shouldn't he be on top of stuff like this?

Actually I wouldn't expect anyone of the TBN/WGR ilk to understand the ins and outs of prospect contracts and rules so maybe one of you guys could write a blog about it.
Yeah situations like this or the Grigorenko debacle last year would've been good times to have a remotely competent and knowledgeable media instead of the petty unprofessional hacks that are around.

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:19 PM
jfb392

Quote:

While it's concerning that they were apparently unaware of the contract extension, I think it's actually a good thing.
It won't keep them from getting him under contract or anything, it'll just keep them from doing something unnecessary.
If they put him in the AHL, they'd likely just be tempted to throw him into the fire before he was ready.

The Grigorenko situation was a complete joke though because of how easily it could have been avoided.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 05:23 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:19 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:

Well if you want someone to be called out so badly...do you always stay at a Holiday Inn Express before posting here?

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 12:07 AM
gallagt01

Bringing this back up to discuss his play to date.

In a thread on the NHL forum, a poster (not sure of his team affiliation) had some pretty harsh words concerning Ristolainen's play thus far:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishdul View Post
It's amazing that they say what was happening to Ristolainen and not only kept him in the lineup for reasons that boggle the mind but are now throwing Zadorov into the fire as well. Ristolainen is so helplessly outmatched it's hard to watch and they're burning a year of his ELC and jeopardizing a development of arguably their most important prospect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishdul View Post
I'm talking about Rasmus Ristolainen, who in short evaluation has looked like the single worst non-enforcer playing right now and has looked absolutely lost every time I've seen him. On a team that might be one of the worst teams of all time he sticks out as particularly worrisome.
I feel like these criticisms had little merit as Rasmus has fit in on the Sabres' backend. He's by no means playing great but overall, I think he's done quite well. The physical game is there. His own-zone plays needs some cleaning up but that's to be expected with a player so young.

Thoughts?

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 01:37 AM
Havok89

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
Bringing this back up to discuss his play to date.

In a thread on the NHL forum, a poster (not sure of his team affiliation) had some pretty harsh words concerning Ristolainen's play thus far:

I feel like these criticisms had little merit as Rasmus has fit in on the Sabres' backend. He's by no means playing great but overall, I think he's done quite well. The physical game is there. His own-zone plays needs some cleaning up but that's to be expected with a player so young.

Thoughts?
I wish he was in Finland for atleast another year. I think he looks okay enough to be on the team, but would develop better getting top minutes in the FEL.

Sulzer could have been used instead, we would suck just as much, and still be heading for a top pick. Burning a year off his ELC hurts too.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 07:43 AM
Jacob582

What are his advanced stats? I thought I read his Corsi was worse than Webers.

You want the vets to work harder? Send the rookies who aren't ready down.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
What are his advanced stats? I thought I read his Corsi was worse than Webers.

You want the vets to work harder? Send the rookies who aren't ready down.
Dreadful and, yes, they are worse than Weber's. He wasn't ready for this. They should've sent him back to Finland after 9 games, and not burned the ELC year during a lost season.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 11:00 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Dreadful and, yes, they are worse than Weber's. He wasn't ready for this. They should've sent him back to Finland after 9 games, and not burned the ELC year during a lost season.
Yep

Darcy is making mistakes with Risto and Zads like he did with Grigs.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 11:03 AM

He is not an NHL player at this point in time. We are really rushing these prospects along.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Yep

Darcy is making mistakes with Risto and Zads like he did with Grigs.
That's my biggest problem with this rebuild so far. You can draft all the top prospects you want, but if you don't develop them correctly, it doesn't do much good. At least there's hope for Zads before his ELC kicks in...

Did they ever truly answer if Risto could go to the AHL?

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:38 PM
goman

Will Buffalo look to move any of their many young assets for some quality veterans to insulate the young players?

goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:45 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
Will Buffalo look to move any of their many young assets for some quality veterans to insulate the young players?
Doubt it, unless they get an offer they can't refuse.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 12:31 AM
OcAirlines

Quote:
Don't see that happening, if a veteran comes in it will be through free agency or as a throw-in in a bigger deal that sees us selling another quality asset, or maybe a very minor trade like the Tallinder one.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 01:25 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
In two years absolutely.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 02:27 PM
L4vK

This guy is the real deal. Number 1 D written all over him, he can do it all.

Edmonton drafted this Nurse guy who couldn't crack this awful Canadian defense.

He reminds me a Rob Blake for some reason.

L4vK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 02:28 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4vK View Post
This guy is the real deal. Number 1 D written all over him, he can do it all.

Edmonton drafted this Nurse guy who couldn't crack this awful Canadian defense.

He reminds me a Rob Blake for some reason.
No idea how Nurse didn't make it either, wasn't pleased with Canada's selections.

Was pleased with Ristolainen for the most part, more pleased with Zad.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 02:30 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Risto and Zadorov are the two best defensemen in the tournament, IMO.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote