HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2013, 03:21 AM
shogun99

vCash: 500
I'm not a fan of this new age coaching philosophy that Eakins is bringing. How about we get rid of this "swarm" defense and play something like man to man coverage or zone coverage. How about we get our defensively challenged "stars" off the penalty kill and have them save their energy for 5 on 5 or the PP. How about we form an actual "checking" line and use it against the other teams top line instead of throwing Yakupov-RNH-Eberle out there.

Old
11-03-2013, 03:37 AM
Rawg
CEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
I'm not a fan of this new age coaching philosophy that Eakins is bringing. How about we get rid of this "swarm" defense and play something like man to man coverage or zone coverage. How about we get our defensively challenged "stars" off the penalty kill and have them save their energy for 5 on 5 or the PP. How about we form an actual "checking" line and use it against the other teams top line instead of throwing Yakupov-RNH-Eberle out there.
Its not the system its the players

Old
11-03-2013, 03:52 AM
Hemsky4PM

What is so difficult about breaking down the way the Red Wings play and coaching that to this team?

If Eakins is implementing a "unique" system, he is beyond arrogant. This game has existed for a long, long time. Stick with what works genius.

Old
11-03-2013, 04:10 AM
Kranix
shempionship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
What is so difficult about breaking down the way the Red Wings play and coaching that to this team?

If Eakins is implementing a "unique" system, he is beyond arrogant. This game has existed for a long, long time. Stick with what works genius.
Yeah, Hockey is a very simple game. Eakins should implement the trap, get a few wins, get some confidence built. Trap, and dump and chase. Simple.

Old
11-03-2013, 06:54 AM
MrM

I realize that management has shown Eakins confidence and don't want to fire him, but if we have to what about having Tod Nelson brought up as coach for the rest of the year? He has coached most of our young guys in the past. I know that everyone wants an established coach but would you be willing to go this route?

Old
11-03-2013, 07:17 AM
Everest

I think its safe to say Eakins has already completely failed as an NHL Head Coach.

I don't know when the team flies out...or...if they already have...but...if Eakins is on that plane then we can consider this his SECOND chance to prove he can bring SOMETHING useful or positive to what has been an awesomely brutal season so far.

Old
11-03-2013, 07:23 AM
Everest

When Eakins first got interviewed...it was explained that it was with the intention of hiring him as an Associate Coach but he (somehow) talked himself into getting hired as a Head Coach.

I wonder...if we can't fire him outright...can we at least scale back his job description to what he was originally suppose to be used as?

Not sure who would be a good fit to come here and work side by side with him...but...there is no doubt in my mind Eakins doesn't have enough perspective, experience or knowledge to be the Head Coach of this team right now. He is a terrible hire and the sooner Mac-T finds a "politically correct' way to amend this mistake, the better.

Old
11-03-2013, 07:26 AM
Heavy Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM View Post
I realize that management has shown Eakins confidence and don't want to fire him, but if we have to what about having Tod Nelson brought up as coach for the rest of the year? He has coached most of our young guys in the past. I know that everyone wants an established coach but would you be willing to go this route?
This. Make Nelson interim coach. That burning you smell? It's Eakins career going up in flames.

Old
11-03-2013, 07:44 AM
harpoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
He is a terrible hire and the sooner Mac-T finds a "politically correct' way to amend this mistake, the better.
MacT went way out on a limb for this guy. There is no pc way to amend this mistake.

Old
11-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
MacT went way out on a limb for this guy. There is no pc way to amend this mistake.
True.

Maybe its time for Mac-T to do something "bold" by admitting he made a mistake?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall if Mac-T sat "his guy" down and for a conversation about altering the coaching structure back to something similar to the Quinn/Renney combination.

Doubt Eakins would go for it...but...if I were in Mac-T's shoes right now...I really wouldn't hesitate to make a coaching change...despite what was said upon hiring Eakins.

Old
11-03-2013, 07:54 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
MacT deserves to be fired as well along with Lowe and his lackeys from
Buchberger to Howson.

Old
11-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Hemsky4PM

Eakins will last to 40 games even if the team only wins 2 games in the next 25. Only empty seats and lagging merchandise sales will force the issue. MacT will likely make a player move before a firing. I can see Bucky and Smith being sacked though...if this club lays some more eggs against equally horrid competition...Yikes.

Old
11-03-2013, 09:01 AM
rboomercat90

vCash: 50
Quote:
I liked what I heard from Eakins...right up to the start of training camp. Since then, it's been downhill, and now that I see his systems play in action...I'm not feeling very confident that things will improve. The players need to stop making excuses though - good players should be able to hustle to overcome (to some degree) poor coaching.
You mean right up until the point he actually started to do the coaching?

Old
11-03-2013, 09:06 AM
rboomercat90

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
Toronto fan in peace. I was in the minority as someone who was underwhelmed by Eakins in Toronto. He talked a great game in media scrums as an AHL coach of a veteran laden AHL team. He provided great lip service and was very quotable. The Toronto media absolutely loved the guy hence there was so much good press surrounding him. Little of the good press came from observations of his AHL team or the development of the team's prospects. Eakins bolted at the perfect time as the Leafs' AHL team was about to become very young with very few notable prospects.

Eakins has made these needlessly controversial statements. There was the "son in law" quip which came off ironic when he has been dressing his assistant's son who isn't even a stand out AHL player. Then an indirect shot taken at the team's previous coaches (and the former coaches of players from other organizations) regarding the players not understanding basic defense.

It's appearing that he may be frittering away this golden opportunity. He isn't part of that old boys' club that constitutes the Oilers' front office. He isn't going to get as much slack as one of their old buddies would have gotten.
He has a 4 year contract at the same time the Oilers are still paying for Krueger and Tambellini to sit at home. I can't believe Katz is remotely interested in paying for another coach at this point. Eakins job is safe for a while yet.

Old
11-03-2013, 09:08 AM
Everest

Isn't it strange we never actually SEE Dallas Eakins "coaching" during games?

Looking back on the numerous poor games thus far....

How often has the camera caught Eakins doing ANYTHING on the bench during a game...aside from tenderly stroking his hair while muttering profane laced catch phrases into his tie?

Last week it was a big deal when he double-swapped Labarbera...and other than that?

Does he ever even bother to say anything? Move some line combos around? Anything?

Seems to me he is very "hands off" for a situation which...I would think...is screaming for non-stop guidance.

Honestly...he is coming off as shell shocked & defeated...even more than the players.

And his assessment of "playing scared"?

While it sounds insightful & easy to fix...IMO..it is absolutely NOT the problem I am seeing with this team.

Old
11-03-2013, 09:13 AM
harpoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
I'd love to be a fly on the wall if Mac-T sat "his guy" down and for a conversation about altering the coaching structure back to something similar to the Quinn/Renney combination.
Do you think MacT would consider stepping in himself? If he has some confidence in his plan that might be the best way to see it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola1279 View Post
MacT deserves to be fired as well along with Lowe and his lackeys from
Buchberger to Howson.
Say all that comes true for Christmas and you and oilexport and Gone are dancing around the tree in delight .... what are we going to do about Katz? Do you think he's suddenly going to turn into the kind of owner who actually cares about winning when he has his new flashy arena and more revenue rolling in from all the suckers lining up to buy the jersey of the latest savior?

Old
11-03-2013, 09:19 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawg View Post
Its not the system its the players
exactly... i don't know how this could be more obvious.... this is the 4th coach in 5 years, all with their own views, abilities and systems.... and each of them hasn't been able to get this sorry sack of losers to play within a system

its the players, not the system

this really needs to be repeated 1000 times.... the players that were supposed to "save us" aren't *nearly* as good as we hoped they would be, end of story

Old
11-03-2013, 09:19 AM
redgrant

This guy has made a ton of awful coaching decisions from exhibition season onward.

How on earth are you gonna put Gagner's line up against Kessel his first game back? That was screaming Boyd Gordon shut down job.

Its idiot decision like that don't take the coach off limit for his share of the blame regardless of injuries or play of the team.

Old
11-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Everest

Do you think MacT would consider stepping in himself? If he has some confidence in his plan that might be the best way to see it out.

It is probably the next move to make if Mac-T is going to make any move at all.

As a 'GM'...I feel he did 'OK' this summer. He's said as much himself.

But sadly...it seems like rather than fire the coach right away...Mac-T will have to settle for drawing (another) line in the sand.

I think if there isn't significant improvement(s) by Christmas...that will be the time to (finally) drop the axe on Eakins.

Old
11-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:

Say all that comes true for Christmas and you and oilexport and Gone are dancing around the tree in delight .... what are we going to do about Katz? Do you think he's suddenly going to turn into the kind of owner who actually cares about winning when he has his new flashy arena and more revenue rolling in from all the suckers lining up to buy the jersey of the latest savior?
Nobody is dancing in 'delight' over this disaster. Some just recognized the problem very early on. I wish I had a solution, but the years of mismanagement have damaged every aspect of this once proud franchise, so the solution will involve several more years of painful rebuilding.

Old
11-03-2013, 09:29 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Eakins will last to 40 games even if the team only wins 2 games in the next 25. Only empty seats and lagging merchandise sales will force the issue. MacT will likely make a player move before a firing. I can see Bucky and Smith being sacked though...if this club lays some more eggs against equally horrid competition...Yikes.
Eakins might resign before long.

Old
11-03-2013, 09:31 AM
harpoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Nobody is dancing in 'delight' over this disaster.
You won't be dancing if Lowe gets canned? I doubt that.
Quote:
Some just recognized the problem very early on.
Yeah, like me. Said Katz was no good from day one. Said the tank was no good from day one. Said a rebuild was a stupid made up idea for people who were too lazy to think of an answer to their problems today. But yeah, go ahead and explain me again how Lowe is the center of all our problems.

Old
11-03-2013, 09:37 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Mac T was a coach for many years and coached against Eakins. To me it's a little different than having a GM who has never had coaching experience.

Clearly Mac saw something in Eakins that he liked.

Old
11-03-2013, 09:48 AM
cyril*
Losers cheer for..

They signed Eakins to a four year contract!

I said it in the summer and I will say it again, a rookie AHL star coaches typically do not have success right away in the NHL. This team needed a veteran NHL coach.

Old
11-03-2013, 09:49 AM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Mac T was a coach for many years and coached against Eakins. To me it's a little different than having a GM who has never had coaching experience.

Clearly Mac saw something in Eakins that he liked.
MacT is a terrible GM.

This team desperately needed some stability in coaching and goaltending. MacT addresses those areas by bringing in a rookie head coach who's in over his head, and signing Jason ****ing Labarbera.

He should be fired for those two decisions alone.

Closed Thread