HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Draft Talk

Old
11-02-2013, 04:16 PM
MP92

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Because he's more mature than normal kids his age.

How many 16 year olds can pull that beard off. Again its not to say he's not a good player, but just because he got exceptional status doesn't mean he's a generation talent. He was just too good to be playing midget hockey.
Touche. Btw, Im 21 and can't grow a beard that full.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 04:25 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Touche. Btw, Im 21 and can't grow a beard that full.
I'm 24 and can't even grow a full mustache. I have a killer neck beard though.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 04:33 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I agree, especially from a team like Edmonton for Hartnell and Coburn. I would think if Edmonton doesn't turn it around though, it's more of an offseason move though. It would be nice to get a pretty package from them, they need that truculence in their top 6, and Hartnell would provide that.
Me too...let's go youth. Im sick of these hybrid teams Holmgren tries to assemble. It hasnt really worked and we are going backwards. Let's get a fresh perspective and approach.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 04:37 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I have no comparisons but he's better offensively of the two. I just don't see the hype in Ekblad personally, like Flyguy said people try to compare him to Seth Jones & he's not on Seth's level, that's not say he isn't a good prospect but I just don't think he's as good as people make him out to be.

He could still end up going first overall but it's pretty wide open this year & the draft isn't that strong.
Isn't this draft average? I will take an average draft class over a weak one like 2007. 2013 was a really strong one, but those are once in a long while; that should have been the year to be really bad and sell veterans for lots of 1st rounders (shortened season and lots of great prospects).

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 04:39 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
Isn't this draft average? I will take an average draft class over a weak one like 2007. 2013 was a really strong one, but those are once in a long while; that should have been the year to be really bad and sell veterans for lots of 1st rounders (shortened season and lots of great prospects).
It's still early but 2015 could be even better than 2013- as far as top end talent goes.

Old
11-02-2013, 04:45 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I don't think it will be as bad as 2007 but much like 2011 I don't think there's a clear cut choice for #1 overall right now. It does have some good wingers this year though, something we could use.

It just sucks we couldn't flip this years with next years draft. Button was comparing it to the 2008 draft a couple of days ago on the NHL network.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 04:59 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
It's still early but 2015 could be even better than 2013- as far as top end talent goes.
Yeah, not every draft has a generational talent in it. Wish 2015 draft was 2014 draft.

Quote:
I don't think it will be as bad as 2007 but much like 2011 I don't think there's a clear cut choice for #1 overall right now. It does have some good wingers this year though, something we could use.

It just sucks we couldn't flip this years with next years draft. Button was comparing it to the 2008 draft a couple of days ago on the NHL network.
I agree, the Flyers need a winger, someone that is a natural goal scorer.

I think 2015 has the potential to be a lot better, mostly cause there is a generational talent in it which 2008 didn't have. 2008 was a great draft year though, especially for d-men.

Old
11-02-2013, 05:09 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I think 2015 has the potential to be a lot better, mostly cause there is a generational talent in it which 2008 didn't have. 2008 was a great draft year though, especially for d-men.
Yeah but he was saying that sans McDavid. He said obviously everybody knows him & talks about him but he said besides him it's a very good looking draft.

Old
11-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
If the Flyers can get a good d man in the first and a winger in the second (I imagine a pretty talented winger or two could drop and be available 31-45) that would be a great scenario... and not too unrealistic at this moment.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 06:56 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Yeah but he was saying that sans McDavid. He said obviously everybody knows him & talks about him but he said besides him it's a very good looking draft.
Ah, I don't know too much about 2015 outside of McDavid. I have a hard enough time keeping up with one draft year!

Any d-man in 2015 that is looking good?

Old
11-02-2013, 07:00 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Any d-man in 2015 that is looking good?
Noah Hanifin who plays for the US program should be the top guy when all things are said & done. Scouts say he is better now than when Seth Jones entered the program a few years ago.

It's looking to be really great forward group but the defense should be solid. This should also be a really good year for the Americans as well, the 97 class for them is thought of as being one of the most talented ones in a while.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 11-02-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old
11-02-2013, 07:27 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Noah Hanifin who plays for the US program should be the top guy when all things are said & done. Scouts say he is better now than when Seth Jones entered the program a few years ago.

It's looking to be really great forward group but the defense should be solid. This should also be a really good year for the Americans as well, the 97 class for them is thought of as being one of the most talented ones in a while.
That sounds promising for him. A lot of time left for the prospects to get better though. Of course, some can get worse. The Flyers always pick bad years to be bad it seems.

Thanks for the info LoD.

Old
11-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Hockeystreams.com worth the purchase to watch all the junior games??
I too am interested. Are they in HD?

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 10:56 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

What's the name of that young norwegian kid that people have been drooling over? I don't think he's eligible for a few years?

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 04:40 AM
chinatown81592
Smash Bros Hype!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
What's the name of that young norwegian kid that people have been drooling over? I don't think he's eligible for a few years?
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1043703

I think this is him.

chinatown81592 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 08:22 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatown81592 View Post
Thanks! It's good to see a player of my own heritage that is so talented. I'm excited to see how he progresses. He needs to get out of Norway though sadly if he hopes he develop better. There were rumors that he was invited to attend shattuck st. Mary's. Would be so good for him. We Norwegians don't have much in the way of top end talent...

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Thanks! It's good to see a player of my own heritage that is so talented. I'm excited to see how he progresses. He needs to get out of Norway though sadly if he hopes he develop better. There were rumors that he was invited to attend shattuck st. Mary's. Would be so good for him. We Norwegians don't have much in the way of top end talent...
His youth team are playing regularly against Finnish and Swedish top youth teams as well as some Czech ones. So while I imagine he moves to Sweden soon his development should be ok until he hits maybe 18 (where they stop playing other countries teams in tournaments so often.)

A lot of the euro youth teams go round Europe a lot, even a lot of the teams from the worse leagues/youth development areas like Britain. (hence why Brett and Brendan Perlini were not ruined playing in the UK as kids... playing Scandinavian and eastern euro competition a lot in tournaments.)

Old
11-03-2013, 08:41 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I'm with LegionOfDoom91 - McKeown or Dal Colle for me. I've read the comparisons of Ekblad to Pietrangelo and maybe there's something there. However, watching McKeown play, he really reminds of me Brian Leetch or Sergei Zubov. He's got an offensive flair in his game and his defensive play has done a complete 180 this year. He's become a much more complete player and his upside is through the roof.

As for Dal Colle, he's a linemate of Laughton and the two of them have some real good chemistry. On top of it, Dal Colle is also a very good two-way player, a must in the system that is run in Oshawa. He's also a former converted centerman, so there's some versatility to his game.

However, there's two wild cards I hope the Flyers would consider - winger Brendan Perlini in Niagara Falls or defenseman Haydn Fleury in Red Deer.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'm with LegionOfDoom91 - McKeown or Dal Colle for me. I've read the comparisons of Ekblad to Pietrangelo and maybe there's something there. However, watching McKeown play, he really reminds of me Brian Leetch or Sergei Zubov. He's got an offensive flair in his game and his defensive play has done a complete 180 this year. He's become a much more complete player and his upside is through the roof.

As for Dal Colle, he's a linemate of Laughton and the two of them have some real good chemistry. On top of it, Dal Colle is also a very good two-way player, a must in the system that is run in Oshawa. He's also a former converted centerman, so there's some versatility to his game.

However, there's two wild cards I hope the Flyers would consider - winger Brendan Perlini in Niagara Falls or defenseman Haydn Fleury in Red Deer.
Guys who I really think we would have a shot at if we are picking in the top ten who I have interest in are. Sam Bennet, Leon Draisaitl and Jake Virtanen. Can you tell me about them? Thanks. Now if by chance(which I highly doubt) we are picking first, right now I would go with Ekblad. I also like Dal Colle but not at one. Thanks

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Appleyard

Quote:

Is there not a decent chance Perlini falls into the early second? I know it is early on in the year, but I have seen him listed in the bottom 10 in the mock draft regularly, and one or two in the 31-40 range.

A good d man early and one of the good wingers who will possibly fall into the 2nd with the 2nd I think could be plausible... if not Perlini someone else.

Old
11-03-2013, 10:39 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Is there not a decent chance Perlini falls into the early second? I know it is early on in the year, but I have seen him listed in the bottom 10 in the mock draft regularly, and one or two in the 31-40 range.

A good d man early and one of the good wingers who will possibly fall into the 2nd with the 2nd I think could be plausible... if not Perlini someone else.
I don't get why some scouts are so down on Perlini. He's really improved his game, has a fantastic work ethic, great hands and plays a smart and sound game. He's physical and he's not afraid to work the corners. The only perceived "issue" he has is skating, but that's only because he isn't a burner. He's not slow, but he's certainly not as bad as what some are making him out to be. If I had to compare his skating style to anyone, James Neal really seems to fit the bill.

I like Perlini and I really think he's one of those guys who continues to climb as the season progresses. He might not be a "top 10" guy right now, but neither was a guy like Sam Morin to start the season last year. Another good example is Claude Giroux. His draft year, he wasn't expected to go until the 6th and he made a meteoric rise to the bottom third of the first. You just never know how a player progresses. Right now, Perlini is on the rise and it won't surprise me at all if he becomes the top rated forward in the OHL when the 2014 draft rolls around.

Old
11-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Appleyard

Quote:
I don't get why some scouts are so down on Perlini. He's really improved his game, has a fantastic work ethic, great hands and plays a smart and sound game. He's physical and he's not afraid to work the corners. The only perceived "issue" he has is skating, but that's only because he isn't a burner. He's not slow, but he's certainly not as bad as what some are making him out to be. If I had to compare his skating style to anyone, James Neal really seems to fit the bill.

I like Perlini and I really think he's one of those guys who continues to climb as the season progresses. He might not be a "top 10" guy right now, but neither was a guy like Sam Morin to start the season last year. Another good example is Claude Giroux. His draft year, he wasn't expected to go until the 6th and he made a meteoric rise to the bottom third of the first. You just never know how a player progresses. Right now, Perlini is on the rise and it won't surprise me at all if he becomes the top rated forward in the OHL when the 2014 draft rolls around.
I followed him and his brothers careers due to their English links... I have not seen that much of his this year but from what I have and his late 1st early 2nd rating I was under the impression the first round of this draft was pretty deep if he was going in that range until I read more about the draft in the last few weeks! He does look pretty good.

Maybe the amount of good wingers means people overlook him and slot in D and C's who are not as good just as they are in the same kind/higher rank as him for their positions... but those positions are weaker.

Like from what I have read the 15th winger taken in this draft could probably be better than the 5th centre or 5th d man!

I saw one mock with 19 of the top 29 (haha NJ) being wingers.

Old
11-03-2013, 11:05 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Guys who I really think we would have a shot at if we are picking in the top ten who I have interest in are. Sam Bennet, Leon Draisaitl and Jake Virtanen. Can you tell me about them? Thanks. Now if by chance(which I highly doubt) we are picking first, right now I would go with Ekblad. I also like Dal Colle but not at one. Thanks
A couple of things about the guys you've listed. Sam Bennett is a good hockey player in the mold of Scott Laughton/Bo Horvat. You win with guys like Sam Bennett. He's probably the most complete forward going into the draft. He'll never be a high scorer. He's a potential 40 to 50 point player. However, he's one of those players you can throw into any role and he'll excel. Doug Gilmour has been very influential in Bennett's game.

Leon Draisaitl is an interesting player. Definitely a good hockey player with high offensive upside. Good hands, great skating, and uses his body well. He's also a highly intelligent player and he's sound positionally. What I like is how he, Josh Morrissey and Reid Gardner (another potential 2014 draftee) have carried Prince Albert on their backs. His competitiveness is something that can't be taught and he fights for every ounce of space he gets. I like Draisaitl, but I caution with guys like Draisaitl because of his late birth year. I expect someone who is eight to ten months older than his peers to put up better numbers.

As for Jake Virtanen, I'm not sold on him at all. He's one of those guys that oozes talent, but just isn't able to put it all together and I'm not sure if he ever will. I just don't think he has the hockey IQ to do it. Yes, the talent package is tantalizing, but if the smarts aren't there, no matter what system he plays in, he's always going to leave you wanting more. With Virtanen, you're hoping that the smarts catch up with the talent and that's a risky proposal to take on a player, especially very high in the draft.

Once again, just my take on all three.

Old
11-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16

vCash: 400
I'd like the Flyers to draft Kasperi Kapanen. Not only is he exactly the kind of player we need right now, but his father was a great warrior for this club and those are the kind of players you need to win the Stanley Cup

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 03:26 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Leon Draisaitl is an interesting player. Definitely a good hockey player with high offensive upside. Good hands, great skating, and uses his body well. He's also a highly intelligent player and he's sound positionally. What I like is how he, Josh Morrissey and Reid Gardner (another potential 2014 draftee) have carried Prince Albert on their backs. His competitiveness is something that can't be taught and he fights for every ounce of space he gets. I like Draisaitl, but I caution with guys like Draisaitl because of his late birth year. I expect someone who is eight to ten months older than his peers to put up better numbers.
You haven't seen him play then. That's his biggest weakness.