HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-03-2013, 09:58 AM
  #676
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,659
vCash: 500
I'm also sick of Eakins and his lack of injury updates.

After all the ******** they put us through the least they can do it at least tell us what injury these guys have.

Valic is online now  
Old
11-03-2013, 10:01 AM
  #677
Nic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril View Post
They signed Eakins to a four year contract!

I said it in the summer and I will say it again, a rookie AHL star coaches typically do not have success right away in the NHL. This team needed a veteran NHL coach.
If this is true, I really don't understand why the Oilers haven't just thrown a big stack of cash at a Dave Tippett or Ken Hitchcock type of coach. Not them specifically since I don't know their contract status, I'm just making the point that if a coach can have as much an impact as seemingly most of us would attribute to Eakins, why not spend what you need to spend to land an experienced, elite coach?

Hell, maybe even Tortorella was the right guy. People dump on him all day for being a dick, but he has better results than many other coaches at the NHL level.

Nic is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 10:17 AM
  #678
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
MacT is a terrible GM.

This team desperately needed some stability in coaching and goaltending. MacT addresses those areas by bringing in a rookie head coach who's in over his head, and signing Jason ****ing Labarbera.

He should be fired for those two decisions alone.
Dubnyk had a. 920 save percentage last year.

dustrock is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 10:17 AM
  #679
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,354
vCash: 539
As disappointed as I am in this team I think blame needs to be shifted towards the GM but also towards fans.

I will say this as objectively as possible.

1. This Team is not very talented. They have a few young talented high ceiling players that are still learning the game but are far from becoming reliable entities night in and night out.

2. Not only does is the team lacking talent, but there is not enough diversity in style of play among that talent. No 2 way players.

3. In all honesty I only see 2 difference makers in the Minors and that is Klefbom and Nurse. I don't think any of our forwards in the minors are capable of being top 6 players.

4. Nothing this team has done over the past few years have given any indication that this team is close to competing for a playoff spot or turning the corner.

In conclusion the roster is the problem , it is not very talented and what little talent there is on the roster is young and inexperienced.

Jtown is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 10:22 AM
  #680
Red Deer Rebel
Registered User
 
Red Deer Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 2,317
vCash: 500
With a 4 year contract, it is very unlikely that Eakins is fired, although he has done nothing but be a negative since his time here.

He was handed better player personnel than last year, and has gotten far worse results.

The 4 year contract was ridiculous.

Maybe our media will start doing their jobs, and start openly calling for heads. I won't hold my breath.

Red Deer Rebel is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 10:30 AM
  #681
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,570
vCash: 50
It looks like I'm one of the few who do not want to see yet another coaching change.

I'll just leave it at that.

Dorian2 is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 10:32 AM
  #682
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
It looks like I'm one of the few who do not want to see yet another coaching change.

I'll just leave it at that.
I want us to trade 2 of Schultz, Ebs, Yak, Gagner.

I've chosen Hall and Nuge as the young cornerstones I want up front.

We have room for one more of Yak, Gagner, and Ebs as far as I'm concerned.

Valic is online now  
Old
11-03-2013, 10:37 AM
  #683
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
I want us to trade 2 of Schultz, Ebs, Yak, Gagner.

I've chosen Hall and Nuge as the young cornerstones I want up front.

We have room for one more of Yak, Gagner, and Ebs as far as I'm concerned.
Pretty much my sentiments as well. As much as people say Hall is part of the entitlement crowd, he actually performs. Of the 3 you've listed, the most disappointing IMO is Eberle. Posters can ***** about Gagner snowpants etc but he tries to bring it every night. Yak is still young with, IMO, higher ceiling than Eberle.

Eberle is just coasting now on the fact he had junior accolades, buddies with Hall, and Canadian boy.

He's probably gonna be the first out iMO

frag2 is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 10:38 AM
  #684
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
As disappointed as I am in this team I think blame needs to be shifted towards the GM but also towards fans.

I will say this as objectively as possible.

1. This Team is not very talented. They have a few young talented high ceiling players that are still learning the game but are far from becoming reliable entities night in and night out.

2. Not only does is the team lacking talent, but there is not enough diversity in style of play among that talent. No 2 way players.

3. In all honesty I only see 2 difference makers in the Minors and that is Klefbom and Nurse. I don't think any of our forwards in the minors are capable of being top 6 players.

4. Nothing this team has done over the past few years have given any indication that this team is close to competing for a playoff spot or turning the corner.

In conclusion the roster is the problem , it is not very talented and what little talent there is on the roster is young and inexperienced.
This is not the case at all. We have all the talent in the world. The thing is talent isn't enough in the NHL. Unless you commit to playing a 200 foot game and make the necessary sacrifices to score goals and compete in this league talent means absolutely nothing. Basic concepts like "everybody take your guy" in the D zone and "pucks to the net with traffic" are non existent on this team.

MessierII is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 10:41 AM
  #685
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,392
vCash: 500
Eakins has done nothing IMO to create a concept of "team"...still a group of individuals.

Alienating players also doesn't help.

frag2 is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 10:49 AM
  #686
dem
Registered User
 
dem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,579
vCash: 500
Eakins isn't going anywhere. Im not sure we settled on the right guy... But how many coaches are we going to let the kids fire?


I also don't think he made the right choice with the captain. It's a weird choice to name a new player the captain.


Last edited by dem: 11-03-2013 at 10:55 AM.
dem is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 10:54 AM
  #687
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,354
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
This is not the case at all. We have all the talent in the world. The thing is talent isn't enough in the NHL. Unless you commit to playing a 200 foot game and make the necessary sacrifices to score goals and compete in this league talent means absolutely nothing. Basic concepts like "everybody take your guy" in the D zone and "pucks to the net with traffic" are non existent on this team.
No dude. This team has 5 players with high ceilings. Do not confuse high ceiling with talent.

Yak, hall Rnh, Eberle, and Perron. I will not put Schultz on that list since he can't play in his own zone and is basically a worst version of dennis wideman at this point.

that is five players on the roster and 2 in the minors. Of those 5 players only eberle and hall have produced at an all star level, RNH has never been able to translate his production into Even strength play and Yak is as raw as it gets.

Also only RNH has the potential to make those around him better and he has yet to show that.

Jtown is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:10 AM
  #688
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
As disappointed as I am in this team I think blame needs to be shifted towards the GM but also towards fans.

I will say this as objectively as possible.

1. This Team is not very talented. They have a few young talented high ceiling players that are still learning the game but are far from becoming reliable entities night in and night out.

2. Not only does is the team lacking talent, but there is not enough diversity in style of play among that talent. No 2 way players.

3. In all honesty I only see 2 difference makers in the Minors and that is Klefbom and Nurse. I don't think any of our forwards in the minors are capable of being top 6 players.

4. Nothing this team has done over the past few years have given any indication that this team is close to competing for a playoff spot or turning the corner.

In conclusion the roster is the problem , it is not very talented and what little talent there is on the roster is young and inexperienced.
yup, this can't be said enough

our "stars" are young, and unbelievably over-hyped... we all thought we had kings and aces, when in reality we were holding 10s and jacks.... hall, RNH and eberle are good players, but they aren't stars yet... and they might never be

while j. shultz and yakupov are *entirely* too young still to be relied upon in any whatsoever

jadeddog is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:13 AM
  #689
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
This is not the case at all. We have all the talent in the world. The thing is talent isn't enough in the NHL. Unless you commit to playing a 200 foot game and make the necessary sacrifices to score goals and compete in this league talent means absolutely nothing. Basic concepts like "everybody take your guy" in the D zone and "pucks to the net with traffic" are non existent on this team.
no, we really don't "all the talent in the world".... we are sorely lacking in talent actually

hall is the only guy on our team who would be a 1st liner on almost every other team in the league.... RNH and eberle would be a 2nd liners on 80% (or more) teams in the league... yakupov would be in the minors or on a 3rd line.... j. schultz would be in the minors

our kids just aren't as good as many people seem to think they are, end of story

jadeddog is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:19 AM
  #690
N5991989
Oilers Fan
 
N5991989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,337
vCash: 500
It's a weird concept to commit to a rebuild and now talk about trading these players. I do not see how that makes the team better. I do not think Eakins was ready for an NHL job. He Talks down the players to the media.

N5991989 is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:27 AM
  #691
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,354
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post
It's a weird concept to commit to a rebuild and now talk about trading these players. I do not see how that makes the team better. I do not think Eakins was ready for an NHL job. He Talks down the players to the media.
I really think Lowe blew the coup in a vareity of ways. He publicly and financially anointed the Kids as the Saviors of the organization and gave them the keys to the kingdom.

By doing this he put unrealistic expectations on young players that are unproven and gave the fan base an unrealistic expectation for when they would succeed.

The kids have a feeling of entitlement because the organization has simply inflated their ego's and their pockets. I have no problem with Eakins talking down to them because in reality no one else within the organization has done this. The Bruins made some mistakes with Seguin, giving him a big contract too soon and allowing him too much freedom on a team of veterans and that did not fly at all.

Jtown is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:31 AM
  #692
The Moose
Registered User
 
The Moose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,248
vCash: 500
As of now it looks like Eakins is a monumental mistake. I don't believe that the players regressed from last year. Perhaps he is not properly utilizing the assets he has and instead is pushing his system (whatever that is) on players that are not suited for it. The most telling example is the PP and PK. With the same (and better) player than last year, special teams are terrible. This is an issue of system/training rather than the players suddenly turning bad.

In hindsight, we should have stuck with Kruger for another season. He definitely did not get a fair shake, with just half a season.

The Moose is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:33 AM
  #693
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
no, we really don't "all the talent in the world".... we are sorely lacking in talent actually

hall is the only guy on our team who would be a 1st liner on almost every other team in the league.... RNH and eberle would be a 2nd liners on 80% (or more) teams in the league... yakupov would be in the minors or on a 3rd line.... j. schultz would be in the minors

our kids just aren't as good as many people seem to think they are, end of story
Your right they aren't as good. Talent does not equal good. That was my point. They are one dimensional offensive players. Outside of nuge none of them have any semblance of a two way game and none of them drive the net hard enough to get greasy goals required to compete in the NHL. Talent is the least of our concerns it's getting that talent to actually play as a unit in a functional team format that is the problem.

MessierII is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:34 AM
  #694
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
No dude. This team has 5 players with high ceilings. Do not confuse high ceiling with talent.

Yak, hall Rnh, Eberle, and Perron. I will not put Schultz on that list since he can't play in his own zone and is basically a worst version of dennis wideman at this point.

that is five players on the roster and 2 in the minors. Of those 5 players only eberle and hall have produced at an all star level, RNH has never been able to translate his production into Even strength play and Yak is as raw as it gets.

Also only RNH has the potential to make those around him better and he has yet to show that.
So what are you saying most teams have guys like nugent Hopkins on their third line? We have talent in abundance. Our talent has no clue how to play as a functional team unit.

MessierII is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:43 AM
  #695
tommyb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Eakins isn't going anywhere. Im not sure we settled on the right guy... But how many coaches are we going to let the kids fire?


I also don't think he made the right choice with the captain. It's a weird choice to name a new player the captain.
The captain calls a 'players only' meeting ,then the team comes out next game and plays their worst game of the year. What does that say about how they feel about their captain.

tommyb is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:44 AM
  #696
Tarus
Fire Mact
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Mac T was a coach for many years and coached against Eakins. To me it's a little different than having a GM who has never had coaching experience.

Clearly Mac saw something in Eakins that he liked.
Yes

Mact saw a coach who measured up as badly as he did.

Would be nice if they could both go back to being the best AHL executives no one in the NHL wants, but that's probably wishful thinking for the foreseeable future.

Tarus is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:49 AM
  #697
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov
 
Booyakasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Croatia
Posts: 2,344
vCash: 1240
it's obvious the Eakins is in over his head, and doesn't know what he's doing.

bad chioce to make ferrence captain.." he will UNITE us"

sure thing Dall, ...

Booyakasha is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:50 AM
  #698
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,034
vCash: 500
Krueger had the players starting to believe in themselves , Eakins has them all doubting. And Eakins said himself when asked what system are you going to employ and his words were our system is going to be whatever teams throw at us well he got that part right.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:58 AM
  #699
Consultant
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
Be Bold Fire Eakins

Over the past week I've had the sad realization that our saviour Dallas Eakins, is actually a well spoken idiot. He thinks he is too smart for everyone else. "I won't line match, because thats what the other team expects us to do" (not a real quote but what he is doing) I mean seriously... its nothing short of unbelievable.

If you have home ice you have to put players on the ice strategically, the last two games have been embarrassing and too difficult for me to watch. We are at a new all time low, and we now have to be Bold, this fall on Eakins, like it not he keeps making decisions that are not working, its November 3 and we in a huge hole. He came oversold, he proved to be a bag of hot air, let him go, that is bold and sadly that is the easiest move to make right now. Bring in Ted Nolan or someone like that... Bucky, Acton all assistant coaches also go. Its my opinion.

Consultant is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:00 PM
  #700
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,964
vCash: 1020
^^Lol fire Eakins he is dumb. Hire TED NOLAN???? Laughable.

T-Funk is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.