HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FA Signings, Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IX:

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-03-2013, 10:27 AM
  #301
Matt19Oilers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I would trade Eberle for Simmonds straight up honestly. Man, remember the days when it was common for posters to say they would only trade Eberle for Malkin or Stamkos? Wow.
Frankly, I'd do it too. Maybe we could even get a depth forward out of the Flyers too, but I'd do it straight up without a problem. I've always thought that Eberle's point totals don't tell the whole story and make us overvalue him. One dimensional is right, the guy can't do **** when playing against the LA's and St louis' of the world. The guy that has been considered "one of our best players" for so long is also one of our least competitive, and IMO we've already seen his best hockey (2 yrs ago).

Matt19Oilers is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 10:34 AM
  #302
Matt19Oilers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
I know this is a weird name to add to those 2 on the untouchable list... but I put Gordon on it. We always hated ourselves for throwing away the Stoll's and the Brodziak's. I like the depth he brings at C, and IF we somehow made the bold moves to make us a playoff team next year, he's a guy that helps you win the ugly games.
I'd have to agree. And IMO, Perron should at least to be close to being on that list, he's probably been the most consistent player on this abysmal team.

Matt19Oilers is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 10:36 AM
  #303
Matt19Oilers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
Eberle for Ehrhoff and Marcus Foligno

J.Schultz + Gagner for Couturier + Coburn +

Draft Ekblad

Perron/RNH/Hemsky
Hall/Couturier/Yakupov
Foligno/Gordon/Free agent
Free agent/Free agent/Jones?

Ehrhoff/Ekblad
Smid/Coburn
Ference/Nurse
N.Schultz

Either Petry or Smid could be packaged up. Maybe for a couple of effective bottom sixers or for a goalie
I could get behind something like this. Ehrhoff is an awesome target for us because 1) Buffalo is in sale mode it would seem, 2) his cap hit is 4million, 3) we wouldn't have to give a whole lot.

Matt19Oilers is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 10:36 AM
  #304
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,727
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19Oilers View Post
Frankly, I'd do it too. Maybe we could even get a depth forward out of the Flyers too, but I'd do it straight up without a problem. I've always thought that Eberle's point totals don't tell the whole story and make us overvalue him. One dimensional is right, the guy can't do **** when playing against the LA's and St louis' of the world. The guy that has been considered "one of our best players" for so long is also one of our least competitive, and IMO we've already seen his best hockey (2 yrs ago).
It's a good thing you guys don't run the Oil.

Tedi is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 10:38 AM
  #305
Matt19Oilers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
It's a good thing you guys don't run the Oil.
Ahh, another one of those fans that hopelessly overvalues Eberle.

Matt19Oilers is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 10:47 AM
  #306
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 500
Eberle > Simmonds. Although, we desperately need players like Simmonds, so it wouldn't be a terrible trade for us. Still would like to see them add.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 10:49 AM
  #307
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,727
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19Oilers View Post
Ahh, another one of those fans that hopelessly overvalues Eberle.
Nope, just don't like a single trade you have mentioned to date. HFOil is an angry place right now, there must be 5 or 6 rant and rave threads on here. I'm sure a trade is coming down and chances are it could be Eberle or Yak but it still has to make sense for the team. Think top tier dman or perhaps top six size (ie. Simmonds) but we don't need to eat a lopsided deal to make it happen.

Tedi is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 10:50 AM
  #308
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,689
vCash: 500
I think this is a pretty fair trade for both sides assuming Smid still has value around the league. We might need to add a bit but it gives us a good shakeup.

to Edm: Simmonds, Coburn, Laughton
to Phi: Eberle, Smid, Marincin

This would give us some grit in the top 6, a defenceman who is more capable of playing heavy minutes, and a prospect centreman who could emerge as a top 6 guy.

To be honest, I would probably substitute in Yakupov if we could get value out of a deal like this. Simmonds is still young (only 25) and fits into our core perfectly.

__________________
Burn Girl Prom Queen

Last edited by Cerebral: 11-03-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Cerebral is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 10:54 AM
  #309
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Nope, just don't like a single trade you have mentioned to date. HFOil is an angry place right now, there must be 5 or 6 rant and rave threads on here. I'm sure a trade is coming down and chances are it could be Eberle or Yak but it still has to make sense for the team. Think top tier dman or perhaps top six size (ie. Simmonds) but we don't need to eat a lopsided deal to make it happen.
Aren't you one of the ones who said they would only trade Eberle for Stamkos, Crosby or Malkin?

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 10:57 AM
  #310
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
I am sorry, but I still think that is a horrible deal. If we trade an eberle or a yakupov, its in a deal for a top 6 forward with size and a two way game, or for a top pairing dman.
i don't think we could get back a top-2 dman for eberle straight up.... nor do i think we could get a top-6 winger with size for eberle

eberle is a very one-dimensional player, he is a butter-soft, 50-60 point winger.... those players don't have nearly the same value as the two types of players you mentioned

jadeddog is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 10:58 AM
  #311
Hall2Nuge2Ebs
Registered User
 
Hall2Nuge2Ebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,888
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I think this is a pretty fair trade for both sides assuming Smid still has value around the league. We might need to add a bit but it gives us a good shakeup.

to Edm: Simmonds, Coburn, Laughton
to Phi: Eberle, Smid, Marincin

This would give us some grit in the top 6, a defenceman who is more capable of playing heavy minutes, and a prospect centreman who could emerge as a top 6 guy.
I would also be willing to add Gagner if they added Couturier

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 10:58 AM
  #312
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,727
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Aren't you one of the ones who said they would only trade Eberle for Stamkos, Crosby or Malkin?
I'm glad you find yourself funny. I have never said that, I am still not completely sold on trading him at all.

Tedi is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:00 AM
  #313
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I'm pretty sure we're more likely to see Hemsky, N. Schultz et al., traded for picks/prospects/role players than we are anything else.

I honestly don't see the Cavalry coming this season.
we could get crosby AND weber for nothing today, and still not make the playoffs this year.... we have to win .659 of the rest of our games just to get to 92 points, lol

no, i don't think the cavalry is coming this year either, the eberle trade i'm talking about would be a long term fix... we are already in "next year" territory right now... we could wait until the off-season to make such a move, no doubt, and i would be fine doing so ... my point is, if you can get something worthwhile back for eberle, i think you have to make that trade

jadeddog is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:00 AM
  #314
Matt19Oilers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Nope, just don't like a single trade you have mentioned to date. HFOil is an angry place right now, there must be 5 or 6 rant and rave threads on here. I'm sure a trade is coming down and chances are it could be Eberle or Yak but it still has to make sense for the team. Think top tier dman or perhaps top six size (ie. Simmonds) but we don't need to eat a lopsided deal to make it happen.
I agree that Eberle is a prime candidate to be shipped out for help somewhere on this roster BUT: i can't help but feel that a lot of these trades aren't as lopsided as many people here want to think they are. It's the classic overvalue your own, undervalue the other teams' players. IMO Eberle isn't as valuable as a lot of the people here want to think he is and consequently, we end up being so ridiculously picky about the player coming back ("player xxx isn't even close to as good as Eberle/Yak" etc) that you'd swear we were trading Crosby or Malkin for them.

Matt19Oilers is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:01 AM
  #315
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
I would also be willing to add Gagner if they added Couturier
Couturier is crazy overrated - Gagner is only 3 years younger and has 210 more career points already. The offensive upside on Couturier is up for debate and I'm not sold he'll end up being more than a good third line centreman (which we already have in Gordon).

Hartnell would be a good buy-low option but only if he's going for very little as he's getting up there in age and his production for the last year and a half has been terrible.

Cerebral is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:02 AM
  #316
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
I'm glad you find yourself funny. I have never said that, I am still not completely sold on trading him at all.
Of all our forwards, he's probably the most expendable player that carries some value. He's soft, coasting, and extremely 1 dimensional.

frag2 is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:03 AM
  #317
OilDrop37
Registered User
 
OilDrop37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Up North
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,000
vCash: 50
I'd be shocked if we trade any of the core players before the draft. Something has to give but I feel like its going to be a long season that we'll be suffering through.

OilDrop37 is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:04 AM
  #318
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,818
vCash: 500
i see a lot of people saying "don't trade this years 1st rounder because we could lose out on ekblad"... this type of thinking is wrong for so many reasons

1. we are unlikely to finish in the bottom-3 this year (statistically speaking)
2. even if we do somehow finish dead last, we still only have about a 50% chance of drafting 1st overall
3. ekblad is a dman and will take 2-3 years in the best case scenario to be a difference maker

if you could trade nurse for a legit top-3 defender right now, you obviously make that trade... the same goes for our first rounder this year, which is very likely going to be in the same pick range (somewhere between 5-10)

i would trade klefbom and nurse for simmonds and coburn and wouldn't think twice about it.... philly would never make that deal, but (sadly) many people on this forum wouldn't make that deal either.... the time for magic beans and draft picks is over, its time to start acquiring *real* NHL players, not just prospects that we hope turn into NHLers at some distant future date

jadeddog is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:08 AM
  #319
stangconv
Registered User
 
stangconv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,671
vCash: 50
We had better get on the phones with Ana. They have a logjam of goalies right now. Even if it's Hiller for this season only.

stangconv is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:11 AM
  #320
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,727
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Of all our forwards, he's probably the most expendable player that carries some value. He's soft, coasting, and extremely 1 dimensional.
There has to be some pause when we consider trading away some of the skill we have suffered so long to get in the first place. I would agree that our forward mix lacks something, most notably size. Dunno, I'm a little worried that this rebuild will last forever.

Tedi is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:11 AM
  #321
BarDownBobo
Registered User
 
BarDownBobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Yak City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
i see a lot of people saying "don't trade this years 1st rounder because we could lose out on ekblad"... this type of thinking is wrong for so many reasons

1. we are unlikely to finish in the bottom-3 this year (statistically speaking)
2. even if we do somehow finish dead last, we still only have about a 50% chance of drafting 1st overall
3. ekblad is a dman and will take 2-3 years in the best case scenario to be a difference maker

if you could trade nurse for a legit top-3 defender right now, you obviously make that trade... the same goes for our first rounder this year, which is very likely going to be in the same pick range (somewhere between 5-10)

i would trade klefbom and nurse for simmonds and coburn and wouldn't think twice about it.... philly would never make that deal, but (sadly) many people on this forum wouldn't make that deal either.... the time for magic beans and draft picks is over, its time to start acquiring *real* NHL players, not just prospects that we hope turn into NHLers at some distant future date
How is it statistically unlikely for them to finish bottom 3? They've got 3 wins in 14 games, and if you watched last night you'll know things sure as hell aren't looking up.

BarDownBobo is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:13 AM
  #322
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
There has to be some pause when we consider trading away some of the skill we have suffered so long to get in the first place. I would agree that our forward mix lacks something, most notably size. Dunno, I'm a little worried that this rebuild will last forever.
Eberle has constantly disappointed me this season. It's as if he's got his pay and meh, the fans still think he's godsend regardless of how much effort he puts in.

Well he's wrong and his "skill" is now redundant with Yakupov.

Its pathetic how Yak has to play off wing when Eberle, a "RW" tends to skate to the left side anyway.

I'm a fan of Eberle but god he is frustrating to watch.

frag2 is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:23 AM
  #323
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,727
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Eberle has constantly disappointed me this season. It's as if he's got his pay and meh, the fans still think he's godsend regardless of how much effort he puts in.

Well he's wrong and his "skill" is now redundant with Yakupov.

Its pathetic how Yak has to play off wing when Eberle, a "RW" tends to skate to the left side anyway.

I'm a fan of Eberle but god he is frustrating to watch.
I get the feeling that Yak isn't his team's good books right now. They tend not to pass to him when he is in prime position. In their defense Yak has a tendency to bungle the play or miss the net. If they can't find chemistry this lineup will continue to fail. Yak does have glaring holes in his game right now, it is almost like he has forgotten how to accept a pass. He does not open his body up to receive breakout passes, I'm sorry but that is hockey 101 taught in peewee.

Tedi is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:24 AM
  #324
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
i see a lot of people saying "don't trade this years 1st rounder because we could lose out on ekblad"... this type of thinking is wrong for so many reasons

1. we are unlikely to finish in the bottom-3 this year (statistically speaking)
2. even if we do somehow finish dead last, we still only have about a 50% chance of drafting 1st overall
3. ekblad is a dman and will take 2-3 years in the best case scenario to be a difference maker

if you could trade nurse for a legit top-3 defender right now, you obviously make that trade... the same goes for our first rounder this year, which is very likely going to be in the same pick range (somewhere between 5-10)

i would trade klefbom and nurse for simmonds and coburn and wouldn't think twice about it.... philly would never make that deal, but (sadly) many people on this forum wouldn't make that deal either.... the time for magic beans and draft picks is over, its time to start acquiring *real* NHL players, not just prospects that we hope turn into NHLers at some distant future date
I disagree with your points.

Please point to the statistical metrics that say we're unlikely to finish in the dirt. Goal differential, PP, PK, Save %, the statistics that have a hand in winning games, are not positive for us. Furthermore, the most important metric, what my eyes are telling me, runs contrary to "unlikely to finish bottom 3".

We don't need to draft 1st OV. Sam Reinhart is the prize in Buffalo, and at the end of the year I can see Sam Bennett making a case for himself to the Floridas or whoevers. Nobody drafts a defensemen 1st overall unless they've been constructed stupidly. Enter Oilers.

Ekblad is our best chance at a top pairing defensemen in the next 3 years. I'll wait.

Soli is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:29 AM
  #325
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
I get the feeling that Yak isn't his team's good books right now. They tend not to pass to him when he is in prime position. In their defense Yak has a tendency to bungle the play or miss the net. If they can't find chemistry this lineup will continue to fail. Yak does have glaring holes in his game right now, it is almost like he has forgotten how to accept a pass. He does not open his body up to receive breakout passes, I'm sorry but that is hockey 101 taught in peewee.
The fact that there's even a "good books" among players on this team Is hilariously alarming. You have to be in Taylor Hall or Jordan Eberle's inner circle to be passed the puck? What a joke. You'd never hear about that happening with Toews, Crosby or Tavares. Pathetic bunch of losers.

Mr Forever is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.