HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emery vs. Holtby

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-03-2013, 12:05 PM
  #1
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,308
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Emery vs. Holtby

I for one, loved every second of what I saw. I am disappointed in the responses by much of the media and the posters around here. If the Flyers are going to suck, at least make it entertaining. And yes, Ray Emery whooping up an unwilling combatant is entertaining.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:10 PM
  #2
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I for one, loved every second of what I saw. I am disappointed in the responses by much of the media and the posters around here. If the Flyers are going to suck, at least make it entertaining. And yes, Ray Emery whooping up an unwilling combatant is entertaining.
He should have let up but that's what happens in today's NHL, the media & fans love "holier than thou" act. The NHL has become very soft over the last few years especially the fans. Every questionable thing that happens now you have people screaming for a player to get 20 games or something outrageous.


Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 11-03-2013 at 12:16 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is online now  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:14 PM
  #3
MP92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 5,313
vCash: 500
I agree. Now was he kind of a dick for doing that? Yeah. Was he HF's most overused and favorite adjective, ''classless''? You could say that. But since when is hockey classy in the first place? It's a physical and brutal sport. You're not having tea and krumpets with the queen.

MP92 is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:15 PM
  #4
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,924
vCash: 500


Is my reaction to this whole thread right now.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:16 PM
  #5
Zod
Disappointment Train
 
Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I for one, loved every second of what I saw. I am disappointed in the responses by much of the media and the posters around here. If the Flyers are going to suck, at least make it entertaining. And yes, Ray Emery whooping up an unwilling combatant is entertaining.
I'm disappointed by your response.

Zod is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:19 PM
  #6
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,924
vCash: 500
Emery jumped a player. There's no arguing that in the slightest. Since when is that fine to do for entertainment value? I'm pretty sure if I jumped the OP in a hockey game or on the street he wouldn't find it so entertaining. Maybe some onlookers might, but it's easy to take it lightly when you're not the one being punched in the back of the head after saying you wanted nothing to do with it.

No real damage came of it, but whatever you want to call it, it was something that shouldn't be endorsed by anyone. Since when is jumping other people alright? In or outside of the game?

Maybe the Flyers should learn to play decent hockey instead of resorting to perpetuating their goon stigma and losing players to injury from idiotic brawls born of frustration over sucking.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:25 PM
  #7
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 44,634
vCash: 500
No, Emery screwed up. It didn't take long for me to get disgusted at watching him beat on the back of someone's head. Someone who had no interest in fighting and far less ability at fighting. He came off as an obnoxious bully, not as someone pumping up their team.

His little assault cost the team newly acquired Downie for who knows how long, and made Lecavalier miss a game. What a ****ing hero.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:28 PM
  #8
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
#NoHonorForConnor
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 20,915
vCash: 500
Emery should have let up and it's a disgrace that Serravelli named Emery the third star. He should have received some time of reprocussions from that.

__________________

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:28 PM
  #9
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
No, Emery screwed up. It didn't take long for me to get disgusted at watching him beat on the back of someone's head. Someone who had no interest in fighting and far less ability at fighting.
But it was entertaining. Like the way a beating a guy on his knees in the back of the head always is.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:29 PM
  #10
SilkyMitts
Registered User
 
SilkyMitts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Emery jumped a player. There's no arguing that in the slightest. Since when is that fine to do for entertainment value? I'm pretty sure if I jumped the OP in a hockey game or on the street he wouldn't find it so entertaining. Maybe some onlookers might, but it's easy to take it lightly when you're not the one being punched in the back of the head after saying you wanted nothing to do with it.

No real damage came of it, but whatever you want to call it, it was something that shouldn't be endorsed by anyone. Since when is jumping other people alright? In or outside of the game?

Maybe the Flyers should learn to play decent hockey instead of resorting to perpetuating their goon stigma and losing players to injury from idiotic brawls born of frustration over sucking.
i dont think emery was trying to entertain holtby .

maybe he was trying to entertain the 20k people that were in the building. or, most likely, he was trying to spark his team and show that there was some , ahem, fight left.

best part is, he was able to back his actions up with a shutout the next day.

SilkyMitts is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:29 PM
  #11
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,377
vCash: 500
I don't mind fighting, I don't mind someone getting their ass whooped, but when that person is scrambling to get away from you and didn't want to fight in the first place you shouldn't be going after him.

Striiker is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:31 PM
  #12
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 44,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyMitts View Post
i dont think emery was trying to entertain holtby .

maybe he was trying to entertain the 20k people that were in the building. or, most likely, he was trying to spark his team and show that there was some , ahem, fight left.

best part is, he was able to back his actions up with a shutout the next day.
Oh, ok.

So if I assault someone who doesn't want to fight, it's alright as long as I do a good job at work the next day. Makes sense.

Emery embarrassed himself, the team, the fanbase, and the league.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:31 PM
  #13
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyMitts View Post
i dont think emery was trying to entertain holtby .

maybe he was trying to entertain the 20k people that were in the building. or, most likely, he was trying to spark his team and show that there was some , ahem, fight left.

best part is, he was able to back his actions up with a shutout the next day.
There were four other fights. Vinny, Schenn, Simmonds, and Downie.

Him jumping Holtby, who didn't want to fight, was unnecessary.

Striiker is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:31 PM
  #14
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyMitts View Post
i dont think emery was trying to entertain holtby .

maybe he was trying to entertain the 20k people that were in the building. or, most likely, he was trying to spark his team and show that there was some , ahem, fight left.

best part is, he was able to back his actions up with a shutout the next day.
Yeah, that unbelievable 14 save shutout. Guess he wanted to save that performance for the Devils.

Also, way to completely miss the point and not get what I said.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:33 PM
  #15
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,924
vCash: 500
This isn't about anyone acting holier then thou. This is about Emery embarrassing himself and many others and basic human decency, which a lot of people seem to lack if this topic is any indication.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:33 PM
  #16
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty
 
Dirty but Good's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,441
vCash: 500
The fight gave the crowd and the team life at the lowest point of all lows this season. Maybe it helped them win 1-0 last night instead of lose.

Was it totally uncalled for, yes.

But was it totally worth it, yes.

Dirty but Good is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:36 PM
  #17
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,287
vCash: 500
The whole sequence was still pretty entertaining to me even sans Emery. I much prefer a win but it at least show those guys still give a ****, that's been a pretty rare thing to see with this team lately.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:36 PM
  #18
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew8 View Post
The fight gave the crowd and the team life at the lowest point of all lows this season. Maybe it helped them win 1-0 last night instead of lose.

Was it totally uncalled for, yes.

But was it totally worth it, yes.
Most people would disagree. Saying it gave life is blatantly false or at the very least misleading. It certainly didn't help us not get shutout in the Washington game. As far as the Devils game goes, any speculation that Emery jumping a player ignited the team is just that, pure speculation.

Don't know if you watched the game or not, but that NJ game wasn't impressive or confidence boosting in the slightest. Same way our Florida and NYR wins weren't. NJ was missing two players key to their already pathetic offense, playing their backup, and is a team just as bad as us with both teams going into the game with three wins. Both teams sucked and it was the most boring game I've seen possibly ever yet a team had to win. Just so happens it was us by the slimmest of margins.

Emery had to put up 14 saves to get a shutout. That says it all right there.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:37 PM
  #19
Brophy
Registered User
 
Brophy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Redondo Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
No, Emery screwed up. It didn't take long for me to get disgusted at watching him beat on the back of someone's head. Someone who had no interest in fighting and far less ability at fighting. He came off as an obnoxious bully, not as someone pumping up their team.

His little assault cost the team newly acquired Downie for who knows how long, and made Lecavalier miss a game. What a ****ing hero.
It didnt cost them anything. Read got floored, Downie and his eyeball bone got punched in. Big ****ing deal. Dont be a douch and step in on a clean hit. Simmonds went on a nighttrain rampage killing everyone in sight, got emery fired up and punched the **** outta Holbty and I loved every second of it. Vinny punched himself in the face, I give Schenn the nod outta the whole thing, he jack hammered someones face.

Brophy is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:37 PM
  #20
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
The whole sequence was still pretty entertaining to me even sans Emery. I much prefer a win but it at least show those guys still give a ****, that's been a pretty rare thing to see with this team lately.
You don't have to jump a player and therefore embarrass yourself while proving you're a ****** human being to show that you give a **** about the team. There's other ways to do that. Like playing decent hockey or fighting a player who actually wants to fight (which three other players on our team managed to do).

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:39 PM
  #21
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,924
vCash: 500
Yeah, like I alluded to earlier, this is why I have no faith in basic human decency or the concept of people having empathy or owing basic understandings to each other.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:41 PM
  #22
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 44,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brophy View Post
It didnt cost them anything. Read got floored, Downie and his eyeball bone got punched in. Big ****ing deal. Dont be a douch and step in on a clean hit. Simmonds went on a nighttrain rampage killing everyone in sight, got emery fired up and punched the **** outta Holbty and I loved every second of it. Vinny punched himself in the face, I give Schenn the nod outta the whole thing, he jack hammered someones face.
Oh, it didn't cost them anything.

It cost them Downie. That's pretty big, unless you enjoy things that make the team worse.

Hooray!

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:41 PM
  #23
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post


Is my reaction to this whole thread right now.
Yeah, seriously.

Maybe if people had empathy, let alone know what it means...

As a die hard NYR fan, even I look fondly upon the Broadstreet Bullying their way to two cups...but this was THE most disgusting thing I've seen as far as "fights" go.

Like the Rolfe killing was hard to watch, but THAT was hockey....Emery just belongs in jail for assault. That wasn't a hockey fight.

Funny how many people gave Sean Avery **** for a "sucker punch" that wasn't a sucker punch, over this BS.

I truly liked Emery until his joinging Bertuzzi and Cooke on the ******* list.

CHGoalie27 is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:44 PM
  #24
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Yeah, seriously. These sentiments are exactly why politics are banned from discussion.

Maybe if people has empathy, let alone know what it means...

Even as a die hard NYR fan, even I look fondly upon the Broadstreet Bullying their way to two cups...but this was THE most disgusting thing I've seen.

Like the Rolfe killing was hard to watch, but THAT was hockey....Emery just belongs in jail for assault. That wasn't a hockey fight.

Funny how many people gave Sean Avery **** for a "sucker punch" that wasn't a sucker punch, over this BS.

I truly liked Emery until his joinging Bertuzzi and Cooke on the ******* list.
Proof of what I mean by people having a complete lack of empathy:

-OP starts the thread off saying he found the Emery jumping entertaining and therefore approved of it.

-I say the TC wouldn't feel that way if he were the one getting jumped.

-Some random guy jumps in saying Emery didn't jump Holtby to entertain Holtby, but to entertain the crowd and therefore completely and utterly missing the point I made. Actually probably reinforcing what I said if anything.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:44 PM
  #25
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Yeah, like I alluded to earlier, this is why I have no faith in basic human decency or the concept of people having empathy or owing basic understandings to each other.
Calm down Gandhi, it's just a game. I agree with some of what you're saying but no need to be over dramatic.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.