HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

FA Signings, Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IX:

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-03-2013, 11:33 AM
  #326
Mentallydull
Registered User
 
Mentallydull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,077
vCash: 500
Quite frankly, I'm AMAZED that not a single one of the trade proposals I've seen here solves our biggest problem: goaltending.

We can make whatever trades for bigger forwards or top 3 d-men but if we don't get a solid goalie then it doesn't mean ****.

We need to build back-end out. If we're going to trade some kids then get a goalie first and, if necessary, package two of them for a #1 D. We can worry about our size up front later.

Mentallydull is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:33 AM
  #327
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,349
vCash: 539
I think hall and RNH are untouchables. Those are the only 2 i could see being a huge part of a top line.


Eberle and Gagner are trade fodder. But selling them now is stupid since they are contributing to the tank ( which should be the goal of this season) and they have low value now.

Tank this year, inflate their value next season with tons of PP time and then deal em.

Jtown is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:34 AM
  #328
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,722
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
The fact that there's even a "good books" among players on this team Is hilariously alarming. You have to be in Taylor Hall or Jordan Eberle's inner circle to be passed the puck? What a joke. You'd never hear about that happening with Toews, Crosby or Tavares. Pathetic bunch of losers.
True enough, it won't surprise me at all if this team had a clicky dressing room.

Tedi is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:35 AM
  #329
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,349
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
Quite frankly, I'm AMAZED that not a single one of the trade proposals I've seen here solves our biggest problem: goaltending.

We can make whatever trades for bigger forwards or top 3 d-men but if we don't get a solid goalie then it doesn't mean ****.

We need to build back-end out. If we're going to trade some kids then get a goalie first and, if necessary, package two of them for a #1 D. We can worry about our size up front later.
I will say its hard to judge the goalie talent when you don't have a single forward in the top 6 that can play a lick of defense. Every poster thinks that improving our defensive pairings will make the team better defensively but defense is a 5 man job and really the oilers top 6 are the worst defensive group of forwards of any top 6 in the league and its not even close at this point.

Jtown is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:42 AM
  #330
Matt19Oilers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
Quite frankly, I'm AMAZED that not a single one of the trade proposals I've seen here solves our biggest problem: goaltending.

We can make whatever trades for bigger forwards or top 3 d-men but if we don't get a solid goalie then it doesn't mean ****.

We need to build back-end out. If we're going to trade some kids then get a goalie first and, if necessary, package two of them for a #1 D. We can worry about our size up front later.
Relating to the first part of your post, I think that everyone here, myself included, are just hopeful that our goalie problem can be solved via free agency (Halak or Hiller). It would seem that the only available #1 goalies that we could realistically get via trade right now are at the end of their contracts, so would not be worthwhile to trade for.

I agree that the forward group doesn't mean much now without a real #1 goalie and a decent group of defensemen.

Matt19Oilers is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:43 AM
  #331
Mentallydull
Registered User
 
Mentallydull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I will say its hard to judge the goalie talent when you don't have a single forward in the top 6 that can play a lick of defense. Every poster thinks that improving our defensive pairings will make the team better defensively but defense is a 5 man job and really the oilers top 6 are the worst defensive group of forwards of any top 6 in the league and its not even close at this point.
What have you seen from Dubnyk or LaBarbara that makes you think they could be a #1 goalie? They both let in soft as hell goals and I have yet to see Dubnyk steal a couple games for us.

With a solid goalie our record sure wouldn't be this bad to start the season - we were right in a big chunk of games.

Eakins wants to know what happened to our confidence? Look at the goaltending. We're too scared to make any mistakes or it's in the back of the net.

That's obviously far from our only problem but we NEED a legit starting goalie.

Mentallydull is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:44 AM
  #332
Psychoil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,594
vCash: 500
someone go get me DSP from Anahiem

Psychoil is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:47 AM
  #333
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored
 
notloilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
i see a lot of people saying "don't trade this years 1st rounder because we could lose out on ekblad"... this type of thinking is wrong for so many reasons

1. we are unlikely to finish in the bottom-3 this year (statistically speaking)
2. even if we do somehow finish dead last, we still only have about a 50% chance of drafting 1st overall
3. ekblad is a dman and will take 2-3 years in the best case scenario to be a difference maker

if you could trade nurse for a legit top-3 defender right now, you obviously make that trade... the same goes for our first rounder this year, which is very likely going to be in the same pick range (somewhere between 5-10)

i would trade klefbom and nurse for simmonds and coburn and wouldn't think twice about it.... philly would never make that deal, but (sadly) many people on this forum wouldn't make that deal either.... the time for magic beans and draft picks is over, its time to start acquiring *real* NHL players, not just prospects that we hope turn into NHLers at some distant future date
First to your points.

1) Statistically speaking... we are well on track for a bottom three finish...
2) Ekblad isn't the guaranteed 1st overall guy. Even Jones dropped to 4th. Buffalo, IMO would take a forward.
3) Ekblad is more like to have a Jones/Doughty rookie impact than a Larsson/Murray type.

I don't know why you want to trade picks and prospects that have top pairing potential for #3 d-men. Ference was the #3 guy on a cup winning team Petry would be a #3 guy on many good teams. We have lots of guys who can play a 2nd pairing role, we dont need that anymore. We need studs back there. I'm not trading Nurse or our potential Ekblad pick for anything less than that.

notloilersfan is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:49 AM
  #334
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,349
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
What have you seen from Dubnyk or LaBarbara that makes you think they could be a #1 goalie? They both let in soft as hell goals and I have yet to see Dubnyk steal a couple games for us.

With a solid goalie our record sure wouldn't be this bad to start the season - we were right in a big chunk of games.

Eakins wants to know what happened to our confidence? Look at the goaltending. We're too scared to make any mistakes or it's in the back of the net.

That's obviously far from our only problem but we NEED a legit starting goalie.
Goalies are a function of team play. Very rarely can you isolate a goalies play. Look at Mike smith, Look at Ilya bryzgalov. Look at Sergei bobrovsky Look at Steve Mason. You can't tell me when looking at these 4 goalies that team play has no effect on a goalies performance.

Jtown is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:50 AM
  #335
Psychoil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
First to your points.

1) Statistically speaking... we are well on track for a bottom three finish...
2) Ekblad isn't the guaranteed 1st overall guy. Even Jones dropped to 4th. Buffalo, IMO would take a forward.
3) Ekblad is more like to have a Jones/Doughty rookie impact than a Larsson/Murray type.

I don't know why you want to trade picks and prospects that have top pairing potential for #3 d-men. Ference was the #3 guy on a cup winning team Petry would be a #3 guy on many good teams. We have lots of guys who can play a 2nd pairing role, we dont need that anymore. We need studs back there. I'm not trading Nurse or our potential Ekblad pick for anything less than that.
HA, buddy, you realize even if ekblad was nick lidstrom in this first year, he wouldn't succeed here. No high end draft pick is going to succeed here with this environment. So it doesnt matter who we draft, they aren't going to help us.


we need like 6-9 new players who are veterns in the nhl

Psychoil is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:53 AM
  #336
Mentallydull
Registered User
 
Mentallydull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Goalies are a function of team play. Very rarely can you isolate a goalies play. Look at Mike smith, Look at Ilya bryzgalov. Look at Sergei bobrovsky Look at Steve Mason. You can't tell me when looking at these 4 goalies that team play has no effect on a goalies performance.
It absolutely does, but, regardless of the system, a good goalie will still make the basic saves and will still be able to steal a game or two for you.

I'm not expecting a good goalie to come in and win all of our games for us but the difference between a #1 goalie and what we have now is about 6-8 points up from where we sit.

Mentallydull is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:55 AM
  #337
duul
Registered User
 
duul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,874
vCash: 50
Blockbuster incoming

duul is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 11:58 AM
  #338
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,349
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
It absolutely does, but, regardless of the system, a good goalie will still make the basic saves and will still be able to steal a game or two for you.

I'm not expecting a good goalie to come in and win all of our games for us but the difference between a #1 goalie and what we have now is about 6-8 points up from where we sit.
As much as i agree. The whole team is playing terrible and with Eakins icing RNH's line against top lines night in and night out no goalie will stand a chance. I was looking at Lowlights of the Caps game and i've never seen a group of forwards so physically dominated in front of the net. It was so so bad.


I have seen first hand how goalies can go from almost out of the league to Vezina winner. BOB was wretched in front of that run in gun philly system, a system that no defeneman or goalie would thrive in, but once he was traded he almost led a Rick NashLEss Blue jackets team to the playoffs over detroit. That is how good he was

Jtown is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:12 PM
  #339
Mentallydull
Registered User
 
Mentallydull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
As much as i agree. The whole team is playing terrible and with Eakins icing RNH's line against top lines night in and night out no goalie will stand a chance. I was looking at Lowlights of the Caps game and i've never seen a group of forwards so physically dominated in front of the net. It was so so bad.


I have seen first hand how goalies can go from almost out of the league to Vezina winner. BOB was wretched in front of that run in gun philly system, a system that no defeneman or goalie would thrive in, but once he was traded he almost led a Rick NashLEss Blue jackets team to the playoffs over detroit. That is how good he was
Well, it's like I said, goaltending is FAR from our only issue but it's the most pressing one. Getting a good goalie will likely push you 3-4 spots up the standings MINIMUM both by stealing games and just by winning the games that we SHOULD win that we'd otherwise lose due to weak goals let in EVERY game by a Dubnyk or LaBarbara.

Mentallydull is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:16 PM
  #340
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
Blockbuster incoming
wha?

sarcasm? being facetious?

frag2 is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:16 PM
  #341
OilDrop37
Registered User
 
OilDrop37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Up North
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,993
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
Blockbuster incoming
Blockbuster Video?

OilDrop37 is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:22 PM
  #342
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored
 
notloilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
HA, buddy, you realize even if ekblad was nick lidstrom in this first year, he wouldn't succeed here. No high end draft pick is going to succeed here with this environment. So it doesnt matter who we draft, they aren't going to help us.


we need like 6-9 new players who are veterns in the nhl
I've never denied that fact. But there are other ways of acquiring those players. There aren't many other ways of acquiring #1 d-men...

notloilersfan is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:24 PM
  #343
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
I've never denied that fact. But there are other ways of acquiring those players. There aren't many other ways of acquiring #1 d-men...
When you have Hall, Eberle, Gagner, Yakupov, Klefbom, Marincin and an impending high pick at your disposal: anything is possible.

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:29 PM
  #344
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
Blockbuster incoming
Source?

By the way, I hope so. This sad sack of **** needs a shake up.

Tad Mikowsky is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:29 PM
  #345
McRib
2nd Rate Fan
 
McRib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
Blockbuster incoming
I miss Blockbuster.

The feeling of standing in a Blockbuster with some friends browsing the movies/games and figuring out which one to rent sure beats that of watching the Oilers flounder and sink.

McRib is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:31 PM
  #346
sailorjerry96
Registered User
 
sailorjerry96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
How about a line of perron gagner simmonds

Install Coburn into our D
Goaltending... Maybe one of the goalies from the ducks

sailorjerry96 is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:32 PM
  #347
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
I miss Blockbuster.

The feeling of standing in a Blockbuster with some friends browsing the movies/games and figuring out which one to rent sure beats that of watching the Oilers flounder and sink.
Wow. I actually never thought of that. It actualy blows my mind that something my friends and I did like five years ago doesn't even exist now. I can still remember renting D1 and Smash Bros for the N64 at blockbuster with my mom and sister for the first time. Haha. Conversely, the Oilers made the playoffs that year too!

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:36 PM
  #348
McRib
2nd Rate Fan
 
McRib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Wow. I actually never thought of that. It actualy blows my mind that something my friends and I did like five years ago doesn't even exist now. I can still remember renting D1 and Smash Bros for the N64 at blockbuster with my mom and sister for the first time. Haha. Conversely, the Oilers made the playoffs that year too!
The Oilers have never made the playoffs since I started dating my girlfriend. We're getting married next summer.

Sorry boys and girls, the blame falls on me.

Also, Smash Bros. for the 64 was a test of friendship.

McRib is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:37 PM
  #349
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
I disagree with your points.

Please point to the statistical metrics that say we're unlikely to finish in the dirt. Goal differential, PP, PK, Save %, the statistics that have a hand in winning games, are not positive for us. Furthermore, the most important metric, what my eyes are telling me, runs contrary to "unlikely to finish bottom 3".

We don't need to draft 1st OV. Sam Reinhart is the prize in Buffalo, and at the end of the year I can see Sam Bennett making a case for himself to the Floridas or whoevers. Nobody drafts a defensemen 1st overall unless they've been constructed stupidly. Enter Oilers.

Ekblad is our best chance at a top pairing defensemen in the next 3 years. I'll wait.
pretty simple really.... we have had some of the worst goaltending the league has seen in the past 20 years for most of this season.... we have a plethora of injuries, almost a comical amount for this early in the season.... almost every single one of our players are on pace for a career worst PPG.... we have a PP with a shooting% of 6.7%, which is 1.9% LESS than our ES shooting% (wow eh?), and this is on a team with a lot of PP weapons, and who had a lot of PP success last year.... our ES PDO is 97.3% right now... these are all statistics that are very, very unlikely to continue

additionally, we have played the majority of our games on the road.... we have a rookie head coach who is clearly barely keeping his head above water right now, but will likely improve somewhat (like maybe he will start line matching, lol)

we are a bad team, yes, no doubt about it.... but we aren't as bad as our current record is.... i'm not a fan of our team, and don't think we any better than a 20th overall team.... but i'd be willing to bet pretty much anything that we won't have a 15 game stretch for the rest of the year that is anywhere close to as bad as the last 15 games have been

jadeddog is offline  
Old
11-03-2013, 12:38 PM
  #350
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
The Oilers have never made the playoffs since I started dating my girlfriend. We're getting married next summer.

Sorry boys and girls, the blame falls on me.

Also, Smash Bros. for the 64 was a test of friendship.
Mario Party. If you and three friends could play a 60 turn game of Mario Party, your relationship has the strength of 1000 oiler fans who haven't seen the playoffs since 2006.

Mr Forever is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.