HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emery vs. Holtby

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Calm down Gandhi, it's just a game. I agree with some of what you're saying but no need to be over dramatic.
Not saying this is the sole reason why, but when stuff like this happens and numerous people upon numerous people defend it by saying it was entertaining or worth it you can see why I'm saying that.

Old
11-03-2013, 12:47 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I for one, loved every second of what I saw. I am disappointed in the responses by much of the media and the posters around here. If the Flyers are going to suck, at least make it entertaining. And yes, Ray Emery whooping up an unwilling combatant is entertaining.
throwing punches on a guy who was already down isnt cool. Its not even entertianing. its stupid. I have been watching this team for over 3 decades. I love tough hockey and fights as much as anyone. Sorry I cannot condone what Emery did on Friday night.
Anyone who thinks that sparked the win last night against a bad NJ team is mistaken.

Old
11-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Garbage Goal

I sincerely hope the TC feels bad about approving of a jumping because it was entertaining to him.

Old
11-03-2013, 12:53 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

We are winning 7-0. Their goalie decides to jump our goalie.

Are we saying that is ok?

Old
11-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Teezax

Maybe it's just me, but winning 7-0 would have been far more entertaining IMHO

Old
11-03-2013, 12:59 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Not saying this is the sole reason why, but when stuff like this happens and numerous people upon numerous people defend it by saying it was entertaining or worth it you can see why I'm saying that.
He should have definitely let up. I don't blame him for going down to see what was up initially but should have gave it up when Holtby declined. The ref should have honestly just grabbed Emery instead of just standing there like an idiot too.

Was it embarrassing? Maybe so. Was it the worst thing that ever happened in hockey? No. Even in the last ten years? Still a no.

I would have been pissed if the shoe was on the other foot but I just don't like to see our guys lose in general.

Old
11-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
He should have definitely let up. I don't blame him for going down to see what was up initially but should have gave it up when Holtby declined. The ref should have honestly just grabbed Emery instead of just standing there like an idiot too.

Was it embarrassing? Maybe so. Was it the worst thing that ever happened in hockey? No. Even in the last ten years? Still a no.

I would have been pissed if the shoe was on the other foot but I just don't like to see our guys lose in general.
Nobody is saying it's the worst thing to have happened or anything even similar to that. I already said no real damage came of it.

It's still morally wrong, illegal (in the NHL or otherwise), embarrassing, and speaks to the personalities of those defending it as entertaining.

People criticize the NHL for hypocrisy and punishing for result instead of intent, but the fans are doing the same thing here. People are defending it as entertaining and/or harmless but if one of the people defending it were jumped they wouldn't be happy about it or defending it and if Holtby had actually been seriously hurt from all the punches to the back of the head or his fall down or something Emery would be universally criticized.

Beyond that, probably half the Flyers fans defending Emery here would be pissed if it were Emery being jumped and we were up 7-0. It's hypocritical and sad really.

Old
11-03-2013, 01:12 PM
SilkyMitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Oh, ok.

So if I assault someone who doesn't want to fight, it's alright as long as I do a good job at work the next day. Makes sense.

Emery embarrassed himself, the team, the fanbase, and the league.
Oh.
Did I say that what he did was alright? weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
There were four other fights. Vinny, Schenn, Simmonds, and Downie.

Him jumping Holtby, who didn't want to fight, was unnecessary.
never said it was necessary.

Quote:
Yeah, that unbelievable 14 save shutout. Guess he wanted to save that performance for the Devils.

Also, way to completely miss the point and not get what I said.
lol what? way to completely miss what I said. the example you gave about about jumping OP to entertain him was asinine, and i was replying towards that.

Old
11-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyMitts View Post
Oh. lol what? way to completely miss what I said. the example you gave about about jumping OP to entertain him was asinine, and i was replying towards that.
Yep, still missing the point. What I was getting across is that the TC, along with anybody defending the Emery incident as entertaining, is that they have a complete lack of empathy. Just in case you don't know what empathy is (which it seems you don't), it's basically putting yourself in someone's shoes.

If the TC, or anyone defending Emery as entertaining, or anyone at the arena were jumped by Emery or some random tough guy on the street I'm sure none of you would find it entertaining even if some onlookers might.

It's hypocritical and shows a basic lack of human decency in the form of empathy.

Old
11-03-2013, 01:16 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Beef how did Emery's fight cost them Downie?

11-03-2013, 01:17 PM
SilkyMitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Oh, it didn't cost them anything.

It cost them Downie. That's pretty big, unless you enjoy things that make the team worse.

Hooray!
wtf game were you watching where you somehow linked the emery fight to downie getting a concussion?

Old
11-03-2013, 01:24 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyMitts View Post
wtf game were you watching where you somehow linked the emery fight to downie getting a concussion?
Right, Downie's fight came after Volpatti took Read down in the 2nd period

Old
11-03-2013, 01:24 PM
CavemanLawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
We are winning 7-0. Their goalie decides to jump our goalie.

Are we saying that is ok?
I'm blaming the refs for letting it happen. If the refs let it go, its fair. Not going to blame Emery when hes hearing non stop cheers and the ref wont stop him. There is a reason in boxing the ref THROWS him self in between the fighters, usually taking punches himself - when survival instincts kick in, it is hard to stop. Whats next? "Mike Tyson, please stop beating that man in the ring with you! Even though the ref isn't doing anything to stop!". Face it - fighting is as much in hockey as it is in boxing. Hell, many people believe fighting is what makes it hockey, as the 99% player poll that voted for fighting. Emery boxes - lesson one in boxing - keep punching until the bell or the ref tells you to stop. If you're going to allow fighting - what Emery did was perfect fine.

I don't like fighting- and that entirely showed there is no code, or imaginary self policing bull ****. When adrenaline flows there is no stopping, unless a ref breaks it up. Emery fought a guy and the ref didn't do his job. That is all this was.

And to the other- speaks to the personality of those defending it? Pft, please. Just because we see it for it what it was doesn't make us the harbingers of doom on mankind.

And I LOVE IT! Look at you all! Look. 90% of you want fights, and specifically say "i dont want those fake fight get them out! Down with fake fights, I only fights when the player is truly angry!". We have all read that, and many of you have said that! That's what that was, boys and girls. A guy angry with tons of adrenaline with no ref stopping him. You all got what you wanted. Since I am a part of the down fall of society now - welcome to your doom! </Altered Beast>

In all seriousness as I stated, I don't want fighting in the game, but as someone who has been around boxing and kickboxing from a young age, I just can't help but laugh at everyone. Emery's actions were normal for anyone in a real fight whos fighting with passion. I told people on the main boards "non planned fights are NOT good news!", I told people here that for years. And now look. Everyone is all up in arms.

Your problem lies in - the refs letting Emery fight him. The refs for not stopping the fight. If fights are allowed, why is up to Emery to police him self? What if he stops, Holtby stands up, and turns around breaks Emery's orbital bone? As long as no ref is near by that is ENTIRELY possibly scenario! "OK Holtby, I just kicked your ass for one minute I'm done n-" BAM! Come on guys. Lack of empathy? How about you put yourself in a boxer's shoes, or anyone who is in a fight?

"Hey Mayweather, sorry for beating your ass" BAM "Oh **** now I'm knocked out.

Old
11-03-2013, 01:25 PM
flyershockey

It was a dumb move, but I'm not morally outraged like a lot of people are, or at least acting like. The whole incident has been blown way out of proportion by HF.

Old
11-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Garbage Goal

Did someone seriously just compare Emery jumping Holtby to boxing and equate hockey to boxing?

My God, we just jumped the shark.

Old
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Nobody is saying it's the worst thing to have happened or anything even similar to that. I already said no real damage came of it.

It's still morally wrong, illegal (in the NHL or otherwise), embarrassing, and speaks to the personalities of those defending it as entertaining.

People criticize the NHL for hypocrisy and punishing for result instead of intent, but the fans are doing the same thing here. People are defending it as entertaining and/or harmless but if one of the people defending it were jumped they wouldn't be happy about it or defending it and if Holtby had actually been seriously hurt from all the punches to the back of the head or his fall down or something Emery would be universally criticized.

Beyond that, probably half the Flyers fans defending Emery here would be pissed if it were Emery being jumped and we were up 7-0. It's hypocritical and sad really.
I wasn't talking about anyone in this thread. I was going back to my original post about fans being way too sensitive now a days but to be fair the the "worst thing ever" happens every night on the main boards when someone does anything questionable.

I guess the more I think of it I don't really like it but take Emery out of the equation & I still like their response. I much rather be the team up by 7 but it's nice to see them not taking it while laying down.

Old
SilkyMitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
It was a dumb move, but I'm not morally outraged like a lot of people are, or at least acting like. The whole incident has been blown way out of proportion by HF.
absolutely.
should he have done it? no.
was he acting out of frustration? absolutely.
lol @ all this talk of entertainment. go back to your roller hockey rinks.

Old
11-03-2013, 01:28 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Emery jumped a player. There's no arguing that in the slightest. Since when is that fine to do for entertainment value?
No one is saying that he didn't jump the guy. But I still liked it. It was old time hockey. Was it nice of Emery to do that? Absolutely not. Was it right? No way. But it was still fun to watch. Don't be so soft. Everyone is so scared to admit they liked it because then someone will say "You are a bad person" or something like that. It was great. I loved it. I guess I am going to hell.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure if I jumped the OP in a hockey game or on the street he wouldn't find it so entertaining. Maybe some onlookers might, but it's easy to take it lightly when you're not the one being punched in the back of the head after saying you wanted nothing to do with it.
To begin with, there are obvious differences between fighting in a hockey game and fighting in the real world. But without getting into that, of course it is easier to take it lightly when you are not the one getting beaten up. That doesn't make it any less entertaining. I'm sure Holtby wasn't happy about it. Why would he be? But again, that doesn't make it any less entertaining. What if Holtby wanted to fight but got destroyed? Would it have been entertaining then?

Quote:
No real damage came of it, but whatever you want to call it, it was something that shouldn't be endorsed by anyone. Since when is jumping other people alright? In or outside of the game?
Inside and outside of the game are very different, don't make those comparisons, it is pointless. This wasn't a Todd Bertuzzi type of attack from behind when he wasn't looking. It was just a guy getting beaten up when he didn't want to throw 'em. Yes, it was a dick move. And yes I'd probably be pissed if someone did that to a Flyers player. But that's not the way it went down. Holtby got creamed by Emery and I loved seeing it.

Quote:
Maybe the Flyers should learn to play decent hockey instead of resorting to perpetuating their goon stigma and losing players to injury from idiotic brawls born of frustration over sucking.
I agree that I would prefer them to win games. No argument here. But if they are going to suck, goon it up. Who cares if whiny media and HFB posters complain about how mean and nasty the Flyers are. It's not a beauty contest, and if it was the Flyers would be coming in last place anyway...so why not use the talent portion of the contest to kick some ass?

Old
11-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I wasn't talking about anyone in this thread. I was going back to my original post about fans being way too sensitive now a days but to be fair the the "worst thing ever" happens every night on the main boards when someone does anything questionable.

I guess the more I think of it I don't really like it but take Emery out of the equation & I still like their response. I much rather be the team up by 7 but it's nice to see them not taking it while laying down.
That's all separate from the Emery incident. Also, the main boards are always crazy.

Old
11-03-2013, 01:30 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Emery was in the heat of the moment and was being embarrassed. He got caught up in the passion and the crowd, he's kind of a nut. I don't give him a pass but he's human and was frustrated.

Old
11-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
No one is saying that he didn't jump the guy. But I still liked it. It was old time hockey. Was it nice of Emery to do that? Absolutely not. Was it right? No way. But it was still fun to watch. Don't be so soft. Everyone is so scared to admit they liked it because then someone will say "You are a bad person" or something like that. It was great. I loved it. I guess I am going to hell.

To begin with, there are obvious differences between fighting in a hockey game and fighting in the real world. But without getting into that, of course it is easier to take it lightly when you are not the one getting beaten up. That doesn't make it any less entertaining. I'm sure Holtby wasn't happy about it. Why would he be? But again, that doesn't make it any less entertaining. What if Holtby wanted to fight but got destroyed? Would it have been entertaining then?

Inside and outside of the game are very different, don't make those comparisons, it is pointless. This wasn't a Todd Bertuzzi type of attack from behind when he wasn't looking. It was just a guy getting beaten up when he didn't want to throw 'em. Yes, it was a dick move. And yes I'd probably be pissed if someone did that to a Flyers player. But that's not the way it went down. Holtby got creamed by Emery and I loved seeing it.

I agree that I would prefer them to win games. No argument here. But if they are going to suck, goon it up. Who cares if whiny media and HFB posters complain about how mean and nasty the Flyers are. It's not a beauty contest, and if it was the Flyers would be coming in last place anyway...so why not use the talent portion of the contest to kick some ass?
Aside from only replying to me for some reason, you admitted to being a hypocrite and literally endorsed gooning it up. So I'm pretty sure it's impossible to take you seriously. There's no talking to someone who appreciates goonery and admits to hypocrisy as well as doesn't mind to being a hypocrite.

Old
11-03-2013, 01:33 PM
flyershockey

Quote:

Luckily, most of the hyper sensitivity is limited to just HF, where everyone pretends to politically correct 24/7. Most of the actual hockey world hasn't been caught up in that craze.

Old
11-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Luckily, most of the hyper sensitivity is limited to just HF, where everyone pretends to politically correct 24/7. Most of the actual hockey world hasn't been caught up in that craze.
Actually people criticize the NHL of getting too soft all the time nowadays.

Aside from that, I'm positive that if Holtby had sustained a serious injury people would be going crazy over it in the NHL as well.

Old
flyershockey

Quote:
Aside from only replying to me for some reason, you admitted to being a hypocrite and literally endorsed gooning it up. So I'm pretty sure it's impossible to take you seriously. There's no talking to someone who appreciates goonery and admits to hypocrisy as well as doesn't mind to being a hypocrite.
One could also say your taking yourself way too seriously here. This is just hockey. There's no moral high ground to be had.

Old
McNasty

I wouldn't have had a problem with it had the Capitals or Holtby done something to instigate the fight. Simmonds hit Wilson and Wilson didn't like it, that fight is fine. The other 3 fights breaking out were just ridiculous. I was embarrassed to be a Flyers fan when people at the game around me were giving Simmonds and Emery a standing ovation.

Closed Thread