HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Oilers Positivity Thread!

Old
11-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Mint
Hall to NYR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Sure. Giving up our most tradeable asset for a cap dump, an oft injured small stature player was a stroke of genius. Plan the parade.
Yeah, that MPS is sure lighting it up in St. Louis.

Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

vCash: 500
Quote:
I thought this was a message board, where discussion is encouraged. My bad.

Devan Dubnyk is the second coming of Ken Dryden.

amidoingitright?
Oilers Positive for today, guys are getting healthy.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 11-03-2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: clean up
Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 08:31 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
67 games left
Positive thinking... Not negative

11-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
The Perron/MSP trade was a massive win for us.
We won the trade but IMO it would've been nice to have gotten a bigger body in return. That said Perron plays a gritty game, but more bulk would've been nice to add a different element to the club.

11-03-2013, 08:37 PM
shogun99

Just announced on twitter. Mactavish will be taking over head coaching duties and play as 4th line center. He will be allowed to play without a helmet but will have to coach with a helmet on to counter balance the awesomeness of it all.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 08:37 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
We won the trade but IMO it would've been nice to have gotten a bigger body in return. That said Perron plays a gritty game, but more bulk would've been nice to add a different element to the club.
I love Perron's game, he plays like he is much bigger. Every one is so obsessed with size, but if you don't use it it doesn't help. The down side with Perron are the injuries. Hopefully he is going to be healthy most of his contract here.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 08:39 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Just announced on twitter. Mactavish will be taking over head coaching duties and play as 4th line center. He will be allowed to play without a helmet but will have to coach with a helmet on to counter balance the awesomeness of it all.
I am skeptical, do you have a link to the Twitter feed?

Old
11-03-2013, 08:39 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I love Perron's game, he plays like he is much bigger. Every one is so obsessed with size, but if you don't use it it doesn't help. The down side with Perron are the injuries. Hopefully he is going to be healthy most of his contract here.
A guy that can move bodies is what I want, whether he's 6'5" or 5'5". For example Arcobello is stronger than Gagner and RNH in spite of being shorter than both.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 08:40 PM
okgooil

Quote:
A guy that can move bodies is what I want, whether he's 6'5" or 5'5". For example Arcobello is stronger than Gagner and RNH in spite of being shorter than both.
Arco? really, I have been impressed with his game and we all agree he has looked good, but, he has been moving bodies? He looks very week out there IMO. Both Gags and Nuge are stronger on the puck.

ps, I do agree this team needs more size and grit. Joenssu looked like a great additions, but, like every one else is hurt all the time. I think we need to add a solid top 9 forward that can hit/fight and stay healthy. they are not that easy to find though.

Old
11-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Tedi

Quote:
I thought this was a message board, where discussion is encouraged. My bad.

Devan Dubnyk is the second coming of Ken Dryden.

amidoingitright?
No, that was sarcasm...try again.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Arco? really, I have been impressed with his game and we all agree he has looked good, but, he has been moving bodies? He looks very week out there IMO. Both Gags and Nuge are stronger on the puck.

ps, I do agree this team needs more size and grit. Joenssu looked like a great additions, but, like every one else is hurt all the time. I think we need to add a solid top 9 forward that can hit/fight and stay healthy. they are not that easy to find though.
I don't see anyone on this team as being as weak on the puck as Gagner. Arco hits harder and is harder to move off the puck than Gagner.

Joensuu is a good example of what size and strength can do. If we had a couple more Joensuu types we could have an actual competitive team up front.

Joensuu-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Joensuu type-Yakupov
Perron-Gordon-Joensuu type

Old
11-03-2013, 08:46 PM
scid14

Quote:

Arco has been much more physical than Nuge or Gagner. You can see it out there, always in your face, finiahing checks. Good tenacious player.

He also has 31 hits and Is 4th on our team there.

scid14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 08:55 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by scid14 View Post
Arco has been much more physical than Nuge or Gagner. You can see it out there, always in your face, finiahing checks. Good tenacious player.

He also has 31 hits and Is 4th on our team there.
Well of course he is ahead of Gagner, Gags has played 2 games. Dont' get me wrong, I like Arco, he tries and I like that. However, he doesn't exactly get a lot done. He isn't a super effective Checker. I would rather some one put in Effort than not, I agree, but doens't mean he gets much done out there. He isn't a strong checker, he isn't strong on the puck, he just isn't.

Old
11-03-2013, 09:25 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
I think it comes down to us not being able to get a guy who is both a big body and can score. The fact that we were able to get a top 6 for MSP is a win right there, Perron plays bigger than anyone in that group I think.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 09:33 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draekke View Post
How many of us are really happy about Perron, other than the fact that he is ill? He has been a bright spot in the black hole that is our record.
Ive been happy with Perron. But the fact is he is another small/skilled winger, something that we do not need any more of here. We could have used Paajarvi or a package that included Paajarvi to fill a need. Like a goaltender, dman or center. Lots of choices. Small winger shouldnt have been one of them, regardless of how much we like Perron and how he has played. The team has won three games in their first fifteen. Chances are we may have more wins with an upgrade at goalie, defense, or center.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Draw me an Elephant

The only positive is that this season may finally make it glaringly obvious that this core will never win anything. I can't wait to see some of these pansies get traded for guys that actually compete even if they aren't as skilled.

Draw me an Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 11:33 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Positive thinking... Not negative
It is positive thinking only 67 to go

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:10 AM
DeathbyCheerios

Because I have no urge to watch an oilers game, I have more free time!

DeathbyCheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:17 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
It is positive thinking only 67 to go
That's a lot of terrible play to endure...

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:24 AM
T-Funk

Luckily we still have our most tradeable asset in Linus Omark.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:30 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
I think it comes down to us not being able to get a guy who is both a big body and can score. The fact that we were able to get a top 6 for MSP is a win right there, Perron plays bigger than anyone in that group I think.
I get your point, however until we start moving some of these smaller skilled guys to fill needs it is going to leave our team imbalanced and quite frankly not very good. Let me ask you this, if we decided to move Perron right now, would he fetch us more than Paajarvi and a 2nd would've at the end of last season? Could we see Perron getting dealt in a short time?

Quote:
Ive been happy with Perron. But the fact is he is another small/skilled winger, something that we do not need any more of here. We could have used Paajarvi or a package that included Paajarvi to fill a need. Like a goaltender, dman or center. Lots of choices. Small winger shouldnt have been one of them, regardless of how much we like Perron and how he has played. The team has won three games in their first fifteen. Chances are we may have more wins with an upgrade at goalie, defense, or center.
I agree and even though he is grittier than most of our other top 6 guys we could really use a few trades with us moving small skill for bigger guys that can play and hopefully stand up for their teammates.

Old
11-04-2013, 12:36 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
I get your point, however until we start moving some of these smaller skilled guys to fill needs it is going to leave our team imbalanced and quite frankly not very good. Let me ask you this, if we decided to move Perron right now, would he fetch us more than Paajarvi and a 2nd would've at the end of last season? Could we see Perron getting dealt in a short time?
I'd still move someone else. Perron isn't the solution, but he's an improvement

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:48 AM
MrOiler

Perron. Gordon. Joensuu. Arcobello. I don't miss Tambo's non-interviews.

One good point is that when this team finally turns, damn it's going to feel good. :-)

MrOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 04:44 AM
Draekke

Quote:
You're right, I'm guessing MacT pulled the trigger on the first thing that came up, without asking for a better trade.

It's just silly to be complaining about an actual trade-win for us. WHen does that ever happen? PRV was bigger than Perron, but didn't play like it.We traded a probably third line winger who has a big body but hasn't learned how to use it for a top 6 winger who has a small body but knows how to use it. I fail to see the downside, other than the 'well, we could have gotten more in return if we made the right choices' line, cause that will always be true in hindsight.

Just complaining for the sake of complaining when there are actual things that are worthy of complaining about.

Draekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 07:20 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draekke View Post
You're right, I'm guessing MacT pulled the trigger on the first thing that came up, without asking for a better trade.

It's just silly to be complaining about an actual trade-win for us. WHen does that ever happen? PRV was bigger than Perron, but didn't play like it.We traded a probably third line winger who has a big body but hasn't learned how to use it for a top 6 winger who has a small body but knows how to use it. I fail to see the downside, other than the 'well, we could have gotten more in return if we made the right choices' line, cause that will always be true in hindsight.

Just complaining for the sake of complaining when there are actual things that are worthy of complaining about.
I voiced concerns when the deal was made. No hindsight there. The Blues moved Perron because they had to clear cap space, not because they wanted to get rid of Perron. Nobody had a gun to Mact's head to make that deal. Who's to say he couldnt have made a deal for Paajarvi to address a real need on our team? If nothing was available then you wait until something becomes available. You dont just take something you already have a surplus of in favour of filling a glaring need on your team. That's stupid. And if you think pointing something like that out is complaining for the sake of complaining that's your prerogative. The team has 3 wins in 15 games. Complaining for the sake of complaining? Whoo boy.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote