HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Draft Talk

Old
11-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
You haven't seen him play then. That's his biggest weakness.
I read with him though it is not his stride or speed which is a drawback (as it usually is if skating is a problem)... but instead his agility/balance. (a la Hartnell... fine in a straight line but trouble turning then starting again!)

Only seen him in one game this year and was really watching for Morrissey, (and was doing work at the same time!) not really focusing on Draisaitl... though at times he is hard not to notice.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 05:34 PM
dookie88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg LeClair View Post
I'd like the Flyers to draft Kasperi Kapanen. Not only is he exactly the kind of player we need right now, but his father was a great warrior for this club and those are the kind of players you need to win the Stanley Cup
Too bad Sami isn't draft eligible then.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 08:12 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
You haven't seen him play then. That's his biggest weakness.
He is a great skater. I've watched quite a bit of him and there's nothing wrong with his skating at all. It's a bit awkward, but scouts also said Thomas Hertl was a poor skater as well and it's turned out to be not bad at all. People forget that these kids are getting used to their big frames and it's the same with Draisaitl. Watch him again and you'll see that there's nothing wrong with his stride, speed or footwork (the three most important elements of skating). His poor 'skating' is greatly over-exaggerated by plenty.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 09:18 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
He is a great skater. I've watched quite a bit of him and there's nothing wrong with his skating at all. It's a bit awkward, but scouts also said Thomas Hertl was a poor skater as well and it's turned out to be not bad at all. People forget that these kids are getting used to their big frames and it's the same with Draisaitl. Watch him again and you'll see that there's nothing wrong with his stride, speed or footwork (the three most important elements of skating). His poor 'skating' is greatly over-exaggerated by plenty.
Well you did compare McKeown to Brian Leetch. That's all I need to know.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
A couple of things about the guys you've listed. Sam Bennett is a good hockey player in the mold of Scott Laughton/Bo Horvat. You win with guys like Sam Bennett. He's probably the most complete forward going into the draft. He'll never be a high scorer. He's a potential 40 to 50 point player. However, he's one of those players you can throw into any role and he'll excel. Doug Gilmour has been very influential in Bennett's game.

Leon Draisaitl is an interesting player. Definitely a good hockey player with high offensive upside. Good hands, great skating, and uses his body well. He's also a highly intelligent player and he's sound positionally. What I like is how he, Josh Morrissey and Reid Gardner (another potential 2014 draftee) have carried Prince Albert on their backs. His competitiveness is something that can't be taught and he fights for every ounce of space he gets. I like Draisaitl, but I caution with guys like Draisaitl because of his late birth year. I expect someone who is eight to ten months older than his peers to put up better numbers.

As for Jake Virtanen, I'm not sold on him at all. He's one of those guys that oozes talent, but just isn't able to put it all together and I'm not sure if he ever will. I just don't think he has the hockey IQ to do it. Yes, the talent package is tantalizing, but if the smarts aren't there, no matter what system he plays in, he's always going to leave you wanting more. With Virtanen, you're hoping that the smarts catch up with the talent and that's a risky proposal to take on a player, especially very high in the draft.

Once again, just my take on all three.
Thanks for your report. Laughton had another big day. Could the Flyers call him back for the rest of the season other than a emergency call up?

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 09:41 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Thanks for your report. Laughton had another big day. Could the Flyers call him back for the rest of the season other than a emergency call up?
I don't believe so. I think it would need to be on an emergency basis, or once his CHL season ends.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 09:43 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Nope, unfortunately Laughton has to stay there until the conclusion of Oshawa's season.

It sucks he couldn't be playing in the AHL this year.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:07 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Sucks thanks

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Hiesenberg

Even if he was, who does he bump?

He's a center, its obvious the Flyers want to keep him one.

Giroux/Schenn/Couturier/Hall are the Flyers centers.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote