HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2013, 02:46 PM
tiger_80

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
1. This Team is not very talented. They have a few young talented high ceiling players that are still learning the game but are far from becoming reliable entities night in and night out.

2. Not only does is the team lacking talent, but there is not enough diversity in style of play among that talent. No 2 way players.

This was my first post. And really i think most will agree. The high potential guys are not at the point where they can be depended on night in and night out.

1. Right now our top 6 can only play at one end of the ice.
2. Their is a lack of diversity of talent in our top 6 and no physicality.
3. No net prescence.
4. No one can play without the puck.

Its the equivalent of having a basketball team with 5 pg's
I don't think it's the best way to describe this team's problem. How many "talented" players do teams like Pittsburgh or San Jose have by your definition? Probably not substantially more than 5-6 guys.
They have better core (age and lack of experience might have something to do with it) and they are much more balanced in the way they are built.

To be truly successful, one needs to have a solid, if not elite goal-tending; one, better yet 2 d-men who can play 25+ mins in all situations and against any competition (Keith, Pronger, Weber, Chara etc); 2 strong centermen--at least one of which should be able to rack up points, while the other should be able to play tough competition competition (group 1) Crosby, Sedin, Thornton group 2) Richards, Kesler; Couture); two top 6 wingers who really put the puck in the net--one or both of which need to be good two way players (Hossa, Neal, Marleau); good 3C (Gordon).

The balanced core would look something like this:

M.Smith
Weber-X
X-X
X-X

Hall-RNH-X
X-Kesler-Eberle/Yakupov
X-Gordon-X

Basically, the missing pieces are a good goal-tender, 1D and 2C. Ideally, one needs to inject some size on the wings.

Old
11-03-2013, 02:52 PM
shizan

My view on Dallas Eakins so far, well its obvious. The kid was right, he does suck. In all seriousness. It doesn't matter what he does, the Oil are stuck with him. Katz has his guy in Lowe, Lowe has his guy in Mac T, and Mac T got rid of Kruger to make Eakins his guy. Sam Gagner has been in the NHL for 7 years and has had 5 different coaches. Eventually they have to stick with a guy and go with him. Unfortunately for us the guy were sticking with has started his NHL career with a 20% win percentage.

Old
11-03-2013, 02:53 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
1. This Team is not very talented. They have a few young talented high ceiling players that are still learning the game but are far from becoming reliable entities night in and night out.

2. Not only does is the team lacking talent, but there is not enough diversity in style of play among that talent. No 2 way players.

This was my first post. And really i think most will agree. The high potential guys are not at the point where they can be depended on night in and night out.

1. Right now our top 6 can only play at one end of the ice.
2. Their is a lack of diversity of talent in our top 6 and no physicality.
3. No net prescence.
4. No one can play without the puck.

Its the equivalent of having a basketball team with 5 pg's
Nice analysis Do you still think Yak is the best of the kids away from the puck too?

Old
11-03-2013, 03:33 PM
AJGass4

He looks as stunned on the bench as the guys do on the ice so I'd give him a big fat F U, for everything he's done so far.

And the same goes for the players right now and I love this team.

Old
11-03-2013, 08:26 PM
moog35

Hes a good speaker and says most of the right things in his press conferences but the results and on ice play dont match. Hes a snake oil salesman

As for wanting the kids to play against top lines and develop a strong defensive game, thats a good idea on paper and hes right but hes going about it the wrong way. Teaching these young offensive players sound defense is something that needs to be done over time and in sheltered situations to keep their confidence high. Instead Eakins is throwing them out against top players and they are getting burned and are in way over their heads. They are good offensively right now and poor defensively, so play them in offensive situations and use your elite shutdown center against the other teams top players, but that makes to much sense, thats what other coaches do and Eakins is innovative.

He should be selling used cars

Old
11-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
Teaching these young offensive players sound defense is something that needs to be done over time and in sheltered situations to keep their confidence high. Instead Eakins is throwing them out against top players and they are getting burned and are in way over their heads. They are good offensively right now and poor defensively, so play them in offensive situations and use your elite shutdown center against the other teams top players, but that makes to much sense, thats what other coaches do and Eakins is innovative.

Not that I disagree with this point, but in the Oilers case how were they expected to shelter the kids when their supposed 'vets' were routinely failing to deliver?

And in the case of Hall and Eberle, it's not like they're raw rookies these days...both are in their 4th full NHL seasons, it's not unreasonable to expect that they can get the training wheels taken off their bikes by now. Even RNH is in his 3rd year...and in his case he was actually lauded for being a sound defensive player in his first 2 years, it's only this year that we're seeing him being routinely burned - and I maintain that coming back from a serious injury and missing all of training camp has put him in a hole that he's still trying to dig himself out of.

Old
11-03-2013, 09:00 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Not that I disagree with this point, but in the Oilers case how were they expected to shelter the kids when their supposed 'vets' were routinely failing to deliver?

And in the case of Hall and Eberle, it's not like they're raw rookies these days...both are in their 4th full NHL seasons, it's not unreasonable to expect that they can get the training wheels taken off their bikes by now. Even RNH is in his 3rd year...and in his case he was actually lauded for being a sound defensive player in his first 2 years, it's only this year that we're seeing him being routinely burned - and I maintain that coming back from a serious injury and missing all of training camp has put him in a hole that he's still trying to dig himself out of.
while i agree with the idea of playing gordon's like against the other teams top teams (its pretty fricken crazy that easkins isn't doing this actually).... you have a very good point that hall and eberle should be a LOT better defensively by now... they aren't raw rookies anymore, eberle especially should be more defensively aware by this point.... i can give yakupov and schultz a pass because they are essentially still rookies... RNH is coming off surgery and missed training camp, and at least he is still somewhat adequate on defense.... eberle on the other hand is a train-wreck in his own zone pretty much every time he's in his own zone

Old
11-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Eakins needs to have a big mac day
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=615267

also most athletes are allowed cheat days on their strict diets.. Eakins sounds a bit too strict here with his regimen..
http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articl...n-dieting.html

Old
11-03-2013, 09:08 PM
RisingSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve BachIntyre View Post
Eakins needs to have a big mac meal day
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=615267

also most athletes are allowed cheat days on their strict diets.. Eakins sounds a bit too strict here with his regimen..
http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articl...n-dieting.html
Edit: full retard

Last edited by RisingSun: 11-03-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old
11-03-2013, 09:08 PM
moog35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post

I agree that they should be better defensively by now, I dont have a problem with Eakins using them against other teams top lines as long as he shelters them from being burned which means making adjustments and matching different lines when it is not working. A couple times this season he has matched head to head and the results were awful -4, nothing wrong with trying it out but don't let it get to -4 make an adjustment after a couple goals when everyone realizes that its not working

Old
11-03-2013, 09:21 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
Trust me, the Oilers are far from a fit team. They're professional weekend warriors.

Old
11-03-2013, 09:26 PM
PETRYDISH

vCash: 50
"Oilers got 99 problems but Eakins ain't one"

Old
11-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
Hes a good speaker and says most of the right things in his press conferences but the results and on ice play dont match. Hes a snake oil salesman

As for wanting the kids to play against top lines and develop a strong defensive game, thats a good idea on paper and hes right but hes going about it the wrong way. Teaching these young offensive players sound defense is something that needs to be done over time and in sheltered situations to keep their confidence high. Instead Eakins is throwing them out against top players and they are getting burned and are in way over their heads. They are good offensively right now and poor defensively, so play them in offensive situations and use your elite shutdown center against the other teams top players, but that makes to much sense, thats what other coaches do and Eakins is innovative.

Spot on. At first I was sold too, but for me now Ive almost seen enough of his "ideas". The next couple games are more winnable, if we don't start winning then I think that would be the time, it would be bold, but surely not the shortest hire to fire in the NHL, or would it??
I say 5 points from the next 5 games or he's gone. Now that may not be the bold that Mac T was thinking but it surely is bold.

Last edited by Consultant: 11-03-2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: More thought, schedule looking
Old
11-03-2013, 10:36 PM
RisingSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve BachIntyre View Post
I really need to stop posting from phone.

Old
11-03-2013, 11:45 PM
tiger_80

I can't help wondering if the Oilers will end Eakins NHL coaching career.

The more this **** continues, the more it looks like they should have let Krueger do his thing for more than a shortened season. At least the team was in the play-off hunt until late in the season and it looked like they took a major step forward. Now it looks like we are back in 2010-2011 season, because even under Renney the team was winning games and only injuries to Hall, Hemsky, RNH in the second half of the season put them into a position to draft Yakupov. Now it looks like even with a healthy line-up, they will be strong contenders for the 1st overall.

Old
11-04-2013, 12:07 AM
Shanahanigans

I'm gonna go ahead and say that trying to learn 3 different defensive systems in 3 seasons didn't help our young guys become better defensive players. Especially since there's a huge difference between Kreuger's simple man defense (wingers cover points and half wall) and Eakins swarm defense (pressure where needed, cover for holes while extra guy is pressuring, etc. ) I don't think it's a coincidence that our whole team looks lost in the Dzone.

It just pisses me off that a rookie coach was also hired in Col, and they're now the best defensive team in the NHL while having probably the least impressive D core in the league. Meanwhile, we've given up 59 goals in 14 GP. That's 3.9 GA per game.

Old
11-04-2013, 12:34 AM
shoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
I can't help wondering if the Oilers will end Eakins NHL coaching career.

The more this **** continues, the more it looks like they should have let Krueger do his thing for more than a shortened season. At least the team was in the play-off hunt until late in the season and it looked like they took a major step forward. Now it looks like we are back in 2010-2011 season, because even under Renney the team was winning games and only injuries to Hall, Hemsky, RNH in the second half of the season put them into a position to draft Yakupov. Now it looks like even with a healthy line-up, they will be strong contenders for the 1st overall.
You gotta give him one more season.

The coaching carousel simply has to stop.

The Oilers have no chance at making the playoffs this year. Begin retooling the team this year. Make smart moves and tough decisions. Give Eakins a say in the moves. Who amongst the current players are learning his system and responding to it?

A little continuity would have helped this team and could only help this team.

Renney made strides in his second system with the team. One can only wonder where this team would be if Renney was in his fourth season.

I don't want to be sitting here in early November '17 suffering through yet another painfully early exit from the playoff race.

Old
11-04-2013, 02:30 AM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizan View Post
My view on Dallas Eakins so far, well its obvious. The kid was right, he does suck. In all seriousness. It doesn't matter what he does, the Oil are stuck with him. Katz has his guy in Lowe, Lowe has his guy in Mac T, and Mac T got rid of Kruger to make Eakins his guy. Sam Gagner has been in the NHL for 7 years and has had 5 different coaches. Eventually they have to stick with a guy and go with him. Unfortunately for us the guy were sticking with has started his NHL career with a 20% win percentage.
He has been here less than 20 games. Gagner has played under him 2 games. Let's get rid of Dallas ASAP

Old
11-04-2013, 02:40 AM
Burnt Biscuits

Stick with Eakins things will get better.

Old
11-04-2013, 02:59 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
Stick with Eakins things will get better.
Ya, whether or not he's "our guy", the revolving door of coaches needs to stop. We need to keep him at least until the end of next season so our team can get used to playing a certain system

11-04-2013, 03:10 AM
Ice Whole

I don't get how people can blame the coach at this point. It's not the coach. I actually like Eakins and I believe he can turn this team around. As much as I hate to say it, one of Yak or Ebs has to be traded for a number 1 defenseman (preferably Ebs). This team either needs that number 1 defenseman or needs to somehow get some physical players in the top 6. A shake up needs to happen soon.

Old
11-04-2013, 06:57 AM
Newfy IceCapd

vCash: 50
Can you imagine player for this ass clown?

When it comes to showing some direction on the ice, hes absolutely useless. But if I have some fries before I get on the ice for him, holy effing hell hes gonna pack my crap.

Seriously Eakins, you're more cut out as a personal trainer. Dustin Byfuglien can use one. Try there first

Old
11-04-2013, 07:13 AM
MrM

Todd Nelson has coached many of these players already so if they needed to make a change I would hand the team over to him...he was interviewed for the position and had a similar record to Eakins in the AHL.

Old
11-04-2013, 07:56 AM
ResilientBeast
MLFH Edmonton Titans

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
I don't get how people can blame the coach at this point. It's not the coach. I actually like Eakins and I believe he can turn this team around. As much as I hate to say it, one of Yak or Ebs has to be traded for a number 1 defenseman (preferably Ebs). This team either needs that number 1 defenseman or needs to somehow get some physical players in the top 6. A shake up needs to happen soon.
It is absolutely partially his fault. His matchup strategy is terrible and not working, his assistants ruined our special teams.

Our players aren't playing but Eakins is not invulnerable to criticism

Old
11-04-2013, 08:04 AM
shoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
It is absolutely partially his fault. His matchup strategy is terrible and not working, his assistants ruined our special teams.

Our players aren't playing but Eakins is not invulnerable to criticism
Can anyone explain the rationale of keeping Buchburger and Smith as assistant coaches?

Closed Thread