HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vanek to NYI for Moulson, 2014 Conditional 1st, 2015 2nd (BUF retains 20% salary)

Old
11-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
I disagree for a couple reasons: you can't develop 60 kids, not with only one farm team and a handful of rookie spots at a time on the big club. With our pipeline being as deep as it is right now (think about that, we're talking about adding 8 more first or second rounders to this pipeline), we'd be better served by having higher quality prospects than quantity. Our deep stable of second rounders also makes more prospects of that level redundant. Yes, you marginally increase your chances that one of them will turn into a sleeper star, but at the cost of not being able to fit others of them onto your farm team to find out.

I agree pretty much...

But..its a little too early to commit to a strategy until we know exactly what we're dealing with in terms of the quality of the prospects... I don't want us trading up for a top pick if the only reason they're at the top of the class is because the draft class sucks.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 07:09 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Just wanted to chime in. Vanek has been great so far, really hope we get him resigned. I think this trade could be a win-win, hopefully Moulson plays great for you guys and gets you a couple great assets for the future.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 08:21 PM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
Just wanted to chime in. Vanek has been great so far, really hope we get him resigned. I think this trade could be a win-win, hopefully Moulson plays great for you guys and gets you a couple great assets for the future.
Sorry man but there is no way Vanek will sign with the Islanders. Just so much crap that goes on outside the actual gameplay that makes the Islanders so crappy.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
Sorry man but there is no way Vanek will sign with the Islanders. Just so much crap that goes on outside the actual gameplay that makes the Islanders so crappy.
If they make the playoffs there's a very good chance he does. The Islanders can offer him an 8 year contract while other teams cannot. I'm sure they will use that to their advantage.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 10:12 PM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
If they make the playoffs there's a very good chance he does. The Islanders can offer him an 8 year contract while other teams cannot. I'm sure they will use that to their advantage.
An 8 year deal isn't going to make a difference when they won't touch the total money from other teams. The Islanders are cheap, there is no denying that.

Old
11-03-2013, 11:32 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
An 8 year deal isn't going to make a difference when they won't touch the total money from other teams. The Islanders are cheap, there is no denying that.
The Islanders are going to be moving to Brooklyn in a couple of years. Don't expect their low spending ways to continue indefinitely

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 01:06 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
I dont think the Isles even risks that.

The point of trading for him now was for a sales pitch in getting Vanek to sign an extension. If he doesnt come to an agreement by the deadline they likely trade him and recoup their traded 1st and 2nd, or it would be for another forward who could help them now + picks/prospects.

They cant have Vanek walk away for nothing which costs them a 1st and 2nd.

Knowing they are moving to the Barclays they will have the money to sign him.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 01:10 AM
Wizeman*

Vanek will decide by January anyways. I am sure he can figure out if its the right situation or not. Then the Isles can re sign or trade.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 02:12 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

Isles really do have the resources to extend Vanek. They can offer the 8 year deal, and will need a couple extra million on the books for a rising cap. In addition, Barclays is paying the Islanders a ridiculous amount of money for their move to provide a better/more profitable product. They will throw money at Vanek because he is their 2nd best asset and he will provide a certain demographic, Austria. It may not translate into ticket sales, but Vanek merchandise and media rights could offset anything they offer.

Sure, the Minnesota rumor is a feel good scenario, but what is their cap like next year? Is his sentimentality enough to offset a few million a season as a hometown discount? Could easily be 10 or 20 million less over the course of it.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 02:21 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
Isles really do have the resources to extend Vanek. They can offer the 8 year deal, and will need a couple extra million on the books for a rising cap. In addition, Barclays is paying the Islanders a ridiculous amount of money for their move to provide a better/more profitable product. They will throw money at Vanek because he is their 2nd best asset and he will provide a certain demographic, Austria. It may not translate into ticket sales, but Vanek merchandise and media rights could offset anything they offer.

Sure, the Minnesota rumor is a feel good scenario, but what is their cap like next year? Is his sentimentality enough to offset a few million a season as a hometown discount? Could easily be 10 or 20 million less over the course of it.
I think he hits the market.

I'd keep the isles heavily in play in the summer, especially if he achieves individual success with JT or team success via a playoff run. But I think he will want to weigh his options heavily, and believe he will turn down any in-season negotiation attempts with the classic "i fink I want to concentrate on this season and the job the Islanders need tudu to have a successful playaf run"

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 02:53 AM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

I hope playing with Tavares seals the deal. It's early but you can see magic already.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 03:06 AM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
One of the reasons he's getting linked there so often is because of how easily they could fit him under the cap - Dany Heatley is a 7.5 million UFA at the end of this season, so they can essentially just swap those two. Only other FA's are Rupp, Konopka, Niederreiter, Fontaine, McMillan, Stoner, and Prosser with 15.5 million of cap space to spend.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 06:22 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
One of the reasons he's getting linked there so often is because of how easily they could fit him under the cap - Dany Heatley is a 7.5 million UFA at the end of this season, so they can essentially just swap those two. Only other FA's are Rupp, Konopka, Niederreiter, Fontaine, McMillan, Stoner, and Prosser with 15.5 million of cap space to spend.
Well, the reasons for his link to Minnesota are mainly the ties he has with that state. More than one team can fit him under their cap.

Minnesota, the Islanders, Buffalo....

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:11 AM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

I watched the highlights of the Islanders/Bruins game and man was it ever difficult to see Vanek in another jersey. It was shocking how sad that made me. Good luck to him on the Island and wherever else he ends up.

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 02:49 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

HOW THE **** did i miss this?!?!??!

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 03:10 PM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
HOW THE **** did i miss this?!?!??!

What a gem of a video. I seriously wonder how long it took this guy to make it?? Seems like some technical processes going on.

Old
11-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
I dont think the Isles even risks that.

The point of trading for him now was for a sales pitch in getting Vanek to sign an extension. If he doesnt come to an agreement by the deadline they likely trade him and recoup their traded 1st and 2nd, or it would be for another forward who could help them now + picks/prospects.

They cant have Vanek walk away for nothing which costs them a 1st and 2nd.

Knowing they are moving to the Barclays they will have the money to sign him.
What if they're in playoff contention? Im not sure they want to move him, and sacrifice the playoffs.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote