HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos thread meet Devon Bailey Eskimo Latest draft pick

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-04-2013, 02:00 AM
  #426
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Evil Empire
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Overly harsh. It's now irrelevant how/why Rick Campbell was originally hired as an assistant coach by the Eskimos because the guy has paid his dues and has been part of several winning teams. Besides, mellowed-out RC might be nice change of pace from overly emotional Coach Kavis- especially when it comes to eliminating the sideline chaos of the Reed era.

No matter who the Esks hire as their next head coach, they absolutely must do a thorough and proper candidate search this time.
I don't care why we hired him in the first place, but I do care about his performance in that capacity, and from what I remember it wasn't anything special, which is why he was cut loose.

This team is in no position to hire an unremarkable co-ordinator from another team. Not while LaPolice is available, a coach who took Winnipeg to the Grey Cup two years ago. If it's going to be a co-ordinator, Chris Jones is a much more accomplished candidate, even Dave Dickenson for what he's done with all those QBs in Calgary. (although I don't typically like ex-QBs as coaches) Rick Campbell would be nothing more than a favour to his father.

I wonder if Chris Morris will get any interest? I'd love to have a former O-lineman calling the plays, he would know the value of a run-first offense.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 02:14 AM
  #427
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,798
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Ha, I knew it was you.
Good to see some Eskfans posters here.

I used to post over there as John Galt but I haven't been there much since Tillman was GM. Loads of intelligent posters but too much vitriol over there for me.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 06:47 AM
  #428
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,272
vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Probably not mine either. I'm also far from sold on LaPolice or Dickenson at this point too. I hope Ed Hervey realizes that this is his make-or-break hire as a GM and diligently seeks out the best person available.
Make or break? He is already broken. Extends Kavis "Watcha gonna do!?!?!" Reed at the beginning of last season, fails miserably to address the offensive line woes, our defense goes from one of the league's best to one of the worst in one season, and we STILL dont have a decent return guy. He has literally done nothing outside the Reilly signing, which is about the only good thing you can attribute to Ed.

I really dont think it matters who they hire to coach this mess, unless they stop following the Oiler model, they are doomed to reap the same rewards or lack thereof.

Look for crowds to be down for next year. Likely the worst in years. Pretty heady accomplishment after having to endure the Maciocia era.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:21 AM
  #429
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Good to see some Eskfans posters here.

I used to post over there as John Galt but I haven't been there much since Tillman was GM. Loads of intelligent posters but too much vitriol over there for me.
I didn't see him at esksfans. It was a different site.

MoneyGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:50 AM
  #430
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,212
vCash: 500
Kavis just fired. Presser at 2.

MoneyGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:51 AM
  #431
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,593
vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Look for crowds to be down for next year. Likely the worst in years. Pretty heady accomplishment after having to endure the Maciocia era.
I would be shocked if the esks managed to get 20,000 sold.

an easy way to show how few people are already going to the game:
I can stay in my seat until halftime starts, go to the bathroom, get some food, get a beer, and still get back to my seat before the halftime is over.


Last edited by Gord: 11-04-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:53 AM
  #432
OilerFan4Life
Registered User
 
OilerFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,602
vCash: 500
LaPolice or bust?

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:57 AM
  #433
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?
 
Mr.Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,014
vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Kavis just fired. Presser at 2.
confirmed

http://esks.com/

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:57 AM
  #434
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?
 
Mr.Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,014
vCash: 129
http://esks.com/article/eskimos-part...ith-kavis-reed

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 09:01 AM
  #435
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,593
vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
too bad Rhodes wasn't going with him. what a complete waste of space as a CEO.
the board should be ashamed.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 09:04 AM
  #436
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
LaPolice or bust?
Not for sure, but it'll likely be Campbell. The announcement will likely come days after the Grey Cup game. The search will be extensive.

MoneyGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 10:35 AM
  #437
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?
 
Mr.Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,014
vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Not for sure, but it'll likely be Campbell. The announcement will likely come days after the Grey Cup game. The search will be extensive.
I wish his dad was still running the team

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 10:55 AM
  #438
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Not for sure, but it'll likely be Campbell. The announcement will likely come days after the Grey Cup game. The search will be extensive.
So extensive that they already know who they're bringing in.

I thought I'd be happier when Reed was finally let go, but since Hervey decided the time to do it was after a season Reed destroyed, and not after Reed endangered the career of one of the only bright spots on the team this season, I have no faith in this group to bring in a good replacement.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:16 AM
  #439
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
So extensive that they already know who they're bringing in.

I thought I'd be happier when Reed was finally let go, but since Hervey decided the time to do it was after a season Reed destroyed, and not after Reed endangered the career of one of the only bright spots on the team this season, I have no faith in this group to bring in a good replacement.
Did I say extensive? I meant exhaustive. As in exhausting all options within the province of Alberta.

MoneyGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:20 AM
  #440
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell
 
Del Preston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,491
vCash: 50





Del Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:24 AM
  #441
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
too bad Rhodes wasn't going with him. what a complete waste of space as a CEO.
the board should be ashamed.
yup, until rhodes goes, this gong show is just going to contine

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:46 AM
  #442
AJGass4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 399
vCash: 500
Who has the ability to can Rhodes?

Seems like there is never ever any consequences for the guys who cause all this crap.

AJGass4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:48 AM
  #443
rboomercat90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,231
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Not for sure, but it'll likely be Campbell. The announcement will likely come days after the Grey Cup game. The search will be extensive.
I don't think Campbell wants the Eskimos job. When the rumor broke a few weeks ago that he was the most likely successor he was quick to say that all though he wants to be a head coach, he's learned that the most important thing to do is make sure the job he takes puts him in a position to be successful. To me, that's his way of saying he doesn't want to be a part of the gong show that's going on up here. There isn't going to be a lot of success here with Rhodes and Hervey running the show.

rboomercat90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:53 AM
  #444
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
yup, until rhodes goes, this gong show is just going to contine
Couldn't agree more. The rot for this team starts at the top. So long as Rhodes is there, the eskies are going nowhere.

It's a shame. This franchise kept the league afloat for a long time. And look at them now.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:57 AM
  #445
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I don't care why we hired him in the first place, but I do care about his performance in that capacity, and from what I remember it wasn't anything special, which is why he was cut loose.

This team is in no position to hire an unremarkable co-ordinator from another team. Not while LaPolice is available, a coach who took Winnipeg to the Grey Cup two years ago. If it's going to be a co-ordinator, Chris Jones is a much more accomplished candidate, even Dave Dickenson for what he's done with all those QBs in Calgary. (although I don't typically like ex-QBs as coaches) Rick Campbell would be nothing more than a favour to his father.

I wonder if Chris Morris will get any interest? I'd love to have a former O-lineman calling the plays, he would know the value of a run-first offense.
Not sure the timing is right for Morris. His team just finished 0-8, with one of the worst performances in the history of that league. Outscored almost 4-1. Not a great resume to bring to the table right now.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:57 AM
  #446
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,798
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I didn't see him at esksfans. It was a different site.
Oh okay...my mistake.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:00 PM
  #447
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,798
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
too bad Rhodes wasn't going with him. what a complete waste of space as a CEO.
the board should be ashamed.
Agreed. Letting Kavis go is a good move but Rhodes has to go as well.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:01 PM
  #448
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post
Who has the ability to can Rhodes?

Seems like there is never ever any consequences for the guys who cause all this crap.
The board of directors and don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen.

MoneyGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:02 PM
  #449
AJGass4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 399
vCash: 500
How can any of them get up in the morning and look at themselves and say they have done a good job?

I love the fact that Katz saved the Oil, but he could put a little effort into putting a half decent product on the ice.

Does he just not care?

AJGass4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:04 PM
  #450
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,798
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
The board of directors and don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen.
Why would that be?
Is there no accountability for upper management at the board level?

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.