HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Kevin Lowes sorry record for the Oilers...

Old
11-04-2013, 02:16 AM
Kyle McMahon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
So the scapegoat is the guys who had been around the longest?
Or is it because he is the most passionate of the bunch?
First of all he is not the GM, this is a fact, he is one voice among many and not the GM.
He likely cares the most, know hockey well and he is a winner, 6 cups does matter to me. I'm tired of people blaming him because they think he runs all the operations, he doesn't. He is now just a scapegoat cause he's been around the longest. Maybe the fact he has drifted to the background is the problem?
Why wouldn't the one guy who has been here through the whole disgusting mess be the first one the finger points to? Who should 7 years of futility be blamed on? Eakins? Renney? Tambo? Joey Moss?

It doesn't matter whether Lowe is the GM. Even if he's not (and that's always been up for speculation), he hires the GM. If a building collapses fingers are getting pointed at architects and engineers, not the guy who was there pounding in the nails. Same applies here. Every poor coaching and GM hire (basically all of them) ends up at the feet of Lowe.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 02:30 AM
Topkatz

Quote:
The rebuild was actually looking pretty good about a month ago, everyone seemed to agree that sooner or later this team would be good. The one thing that has changed since that time is Dallas Eakins. Just as he envisioned getting all the credit, he now takes the blame. My wish is 5 points in next 5 games or he's gone.
It was only looking good to people who bought in to the nonsense in the media. Some of us didn't and had a more realistic view of the situation. Too many holes in this team.

Topkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 06:32 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
First of all he is not the GM, this is a fact, he is one voice among many and not the GM.
He likely cares the most, know hockey well and he is a winner, 6 cups does matter to me. I'm tired of people blaming him because they think he runs all the operations, he doesn't. He is now just a scapegoat cause he's been around the longest. Maybe the fact he has drifted to the background is the problem?
He has said himself that he has final say on all hockey decisions. It really doesnt get any clearer than that.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 07:18 AM
Hemsky4PM

When you go from celebrating winning playoff series to celebrating winning draft lotteries...

...FILMING a losing team for 3 consecutive seasons like it's preordained that a dynasty is about to materialize from the sheer greatness of the assembled talent...

...you get what the Oilers have become. A shell of a franchise that has completely lost the plot when it comes to the product it sells.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:38 AM
dem

I can't believe they are still filming Oil Change
What an embarrassment.

No wonder the kids feel like they are stars already.

dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Scapegoat? Child please. He is the head of hockey operations, he is in on the draft, every traded and he picks the Gm.

Passionate is a good thing if used in a positive way. He is passionate in a negative way. He goes out of his way to screw over players if they displease him, even if it is in the end bad for the team. Tons of examples of this.

Winning 1, 2, 6, 20, 50 cups as a player means ZERO as a front office person. He deserves WAY more blame than he has gotten and is getting. He is so used to being lofted softballs by media and having zero accountability that he goes ballistic and acts like a sheer and utter fool, showing his true colours in the mact T hire presser when one member of the media amazingly had the nuts to ask him one semi tough question.

Lowe is every thing that is wrong with this team.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Scapegoat? Child please. He is the head of hockey operations, he is in on the draft, every traded and he picks the Gm.

Passionate is a good thing if used in a positive way. He is passionate in a negative way. He goes out of his way to screw over players if they displease him, even if it is in the end bad for the team. Tons of examples of this.

Winning 1, 2, 6, 20, 50 cups as a player means ZERO as a front office person. He deserves WAY more blame than he has gotten and is getting. He is so used to being lofted softballs by media and having zero accountability that he goes ballistic and acts like a sheer and utter fool, showing his true colours in the mact T hire presser when one member of the media amazingly had the nuts to ask him one semi tough question.

Lowe is every thing that is wrong with this team.
First off I'm not a child.
The point I'm trying to make is that I don't think this current (first 15 games) mess is his fault. On paper we look decent with good prospects coming, the organization is so much better off than it was 5-6 years ago when we didn't even have a AHL team. The current debacle I put squarely on Eakins and blaming Lowe is just missing the point. Eakins is doing many things strangely, not always skating with the team, allowing lines to go -4 on home ice without changing the match-ups. All the while he keeps talking like he won ten cups and playing with his dam hair. I always thought we would have to go two years minimum with him, I hate the coaching blender too, but I'm nearly done with the Dallas show. He should get 5 more games to show some progress (5 points), looking at the schedule it is very doable, but if not then let's get a coach that doesn't need to be the star of the show. Dallas is the one with the immediate day to day reins (the micro-manager if you will) now not Lowe.

Consultant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:03 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
I can't believe they are still filming Oil Change
What an embarrassment.

No wonder the kids feel like they are stars already.
Wonder if we will see another ep for a while. They usually like to end them on a positive note...basically zero positives to be had lately.

oobga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:08 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 50
Beerfish and Consultant, stop fighting. You're both right. They both need to go. Lowe because he has spent the last 13 years proving how inept he is at running an NHL team, his string of hirings based on loyalty over merit is what has sewered this franchise. There is absolutely no defending his record anymore.
Eakins needs to go because he can't even hide how badly he's in over his head anymore. The guys looks like he's aged 10 years in the last six weeks. He looked ready to quit after the wings game on Saturday night. He now sounds just as shocked as Mactavish did when he realized that he wasn't as smart and capable as he believed he was.
Everybody in this organization needs to be cleaned out because most of them were never qualified to begin with and judging by the teams record and lack of development, none of them have proven to be very capable either.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:41 PM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
Its funny how many people think that Kevin Lowe is the problem here..everybody here wanted Oilers to tank for the past 4-5 yrs..when u do that u dont magically become a top team overnight..no matter how talented the kids are its to early for them to be leaders on this team.
And its not easy for edmonton to attract high quality free agents like its in Detroit, new york, etc.

Takes time people..quit ur *****ing u asked for a complete rebuild u got one.
I dont think anyone is blaming Lowe for rebuilding, every team needs to rebuild eventually. I think people are blaming Lowe for his piss poor management of the rebuild.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
First off I'm not a child.
My apologies if you took that comment that way. That quote was made by Ocho cinco and has become a bit of an internet meme meaning a strong disagreement. In any case you are right that we won't agree on this issue. I feel Lowe has had and still has a dramatic effect on the whole organization, the decisions that are made at high levels and how we are viewed by other team in the league.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Is there actually any chance Lowe gets the boot? What would it take at this point?

Oscar Acosta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 01:13 PM
bleed_oil

Quote:
OMG!! He is a winner with 6 cups. We didnt know that!
Change of heart. Kevin, please dont resign, please.
Since you are a winner (won 6 cups as a 5th Dman) we need ya big guy. That means you will win every trade, draft well, have great strategic planning, understand the implications of the salary cap, choose your GM and hockey ops guys well....
Hold on, none of those things have anything to do with being a good defensive Dman, they are unrelated skills!
Its like saying, you are awesome at Olympic High Jumping so you MUST be great at managing the factory that produces Athletic Shoes for High Jumpers.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 01:21 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
Is there actually any chance Lowe gets the boot? What would it take at this point?
The only way Kevin Lowe will get fired is if the Oilers start losing money. Until then, Katz doesn't care. Unfortunately with this new arena deal the Oilers are going to be profitable for a long time.

I guess as a 21 year old I can take some solace in the fact that I should outlive the losers that are running this team. Maybe I will see a winning team when I'm in my 60s

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 01:40 PM
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He has said himself that he has final say on all hockey decisions. It really doesnt get any clearer than that.
SO I guess you think good management is micromanagement?

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:47 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post
SO I guess you think good management is micromanagement?
I'm trying to figure out what you're saying. You don't think Lowe should be held accountable? Is that it?

He spent 3 years running the franchise into the ground himself, and supervised as Steve Tambellini ran it into the ground for 4 more years.

Now he's hired his best bro to run the team. How many qualified candidates did he interview to replace Tambellini? What was the recruitment process? Did they talk to anybody at all aside from MacTavish?

He is in every meeting, he apparently has the final word on hockey decisions, and his job title says he's In Charge of Hockey Operations.

Well the Operations that he is In Charge of are CRAP. From top to bottom.

This franchise has become a joke. The only thing I can think of to compare is the Islanders of 10 or so years ago when Charles Wang and Mike Milbury were in charge. That's how bad it is. We are a laughing-stock. That might sound harsh, but that is the reality. And if you preside over a laughing-stock for this long, you get fired.

You can't let the guy who has been in charge while the franchise has rotted to this deplorable state continue to be in charge. You just can't. It is nonsensical. It is galactically stupid.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Although I am not saying a billboard calling for Lowe's head outside of Rexall would work, but how much would it cost to rent one for a month? It would certainly get people talking, especially the media.

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 09:10 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
Although I am not saying a billboard calling for Lowe's head outside of Rexall would work, but how much would it cost to rent one for a month? It would certainly get people talking, especially the media.
Set up a PayPal account to make this happen, and I'll chip in.

Old
11-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Seriously, so would i

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 09:44 PM
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
I'm trying to figure out what you're saying. You don't think Lowe should be held accountable? Is that it?

He spent 3 years running the franchise into the ground himself, and supervised as Steve Tambellini ran it into the ground for 4 more years.

Now he's hired his best bro to run the team. How many qualified candidates did he interview to replace Tambellini? What was the recruitment process? Did they talk to anybody at all aside from MacTavish?

He is in every meeting, he apparently has the final word on hockey decisions, and his job title says he's In Charge of Hockey Operations.

Well the Operations that he is In Charge of are CRAP. From top to bottom.

This franchise has become a joke. The only thing I can think of to compare is the Islanders of 10 or so years ago when Charles Wang and Mike Milbury were in charge. That's how bad it is. We are a laughing-stock. That might sound harsh, but that is the reality. And if you preside over a laughing-stock for this long, you get fired.

You can't let the guy who has been in charge while the franchise has rotted to this deplorable state continue to be in charge. You just can't. It is nonsensical. It is galactically stupid.
You're just assuming all of the negative answers. To be honest, I have no idea how much Lowe should be held accountable. That would take an in depth knowledge of the organization and how it works, what opportunities they passed up and etc.. Something I don't have so I don't start making assumptions.

I do know though that the players get certain amount of ice time and they are the actual ones playing.

Enough said.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 10:03 PM
oilexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
Set up a PayPal account to make this happen, and I'll chip in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Seriously, so would i
I wish this comes true, I would throw down too...

oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:02 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post
You're just assuming all of the negative answers. To be honest, I have no idea how much Lowe should be held accountable. That would take an in depth knowledge of the organization and how it works, what opportunities they passed up and etc.. Something I don't have so I don't start making assumptions.

I do know though that the players get certain amount of ice time and they are the actual ones playing.

Enough said.
Q: does his business card say "President of Hockey Operations"?

A: Yes, it does.

Hey, let me ask you this. If you don't think the Oilers are his responsibility, then what in the heck do you think his job is?

Old
11-05-2013, 12:25 AM
Slicknitty
"80,000 peoples"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
I dont think anyone is blaming Lowe for rebuilding, every team needs to rebuild eventually. I think people are blaming Lowe for his piss poor management of the rebuild.
ok calgary guy, thanks for your illuminating input.

Slicknitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 02:27 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
I would chip in, 100%. I know lots of guys that would too. This would be EASILY funded and it's a great idea. Might get the media talking, or at least get Katz thinking.

It's funny how we as fans have to protest, hockey shouldn't have fans getting political. But our Dear Leader, Katz, needs to start firing people yesterday. Oh and he has to actually hire qualified professionals this time. Don't try to get cute like the boys on the ice are always attempting to do, make a smart move and hire people with NHL experience, if they don't have that experience move on to the next candidate.

I should start selling pitchforks, could make a killing.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 02:37 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post

It would take 50 regulation losses this season.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote