HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What's Going On? Part 4

Old
10-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
Spector was leading the Hemsky hate train all off season. He stated multiple times on his radio show that he had "absolutely no trade value" and he was basically a throw in for a low end draft pick next year if he was to be dealt.

Right....
It was the truth though. While Spector can be annoying he is actually calling things how they are for the most part. I used to hate the guy because it seemed he was just hating on the Oilers for no reason, but in hindsight he was just being the only voice of reason. The team was bad and he had no problem saying it.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Master Lok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks889 View Post
I was sorry to see spec leave. He tells it like it is and provides unbiased honest opinions While lowetide might be a nice guy I don't like listening to a cheerleader on the air. His opinions on the oilers are always they are great and in fact he even said that oilers first 3 lines were spectacular. I expect that out of 630 ched guys who are the oilers rights holders but not out a 1260 host. Also talking about all those advanced stats and Corsi numbers is honestly quite boring to the average listener I never thought I would say this. But I miss Jim Rome.
Clearly, you haven't listened to Lowetide's show regularly or read his blog.

Lowetide has a positive outlook and voice, but is most certainly not a cheerleader. Its not possible to analyse the advanced stats for the last placed Oilers in the last many years, and still be some type of cheerleader?

Ever hear of his opinion on old timey Pat Quinn as coach?

As for Spector, meh - sometimes I like his brutal honesty, I'll give that for him. But his actual hockey analysis is really old school terrible. I view Spector's analysis like Pat Quinn - he likes truculence overly much and is out of touch and out of date with modern hockey.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
Horcoff was a useful player. He just wasn't 5 million dollars of useful.

That's where people got confused. Believe it or not, most hockey fans aren't intelligent, critical thinkers. Most people on earth aren't.

If Horcoff saw more chances and shots for than against, I don't see how a person can say that he wasn't useful. That's not even a stat, just an observation.
Except that most proponents of those stats like chances for/against will cling to that one stat as though it's the most important thing in evaluating a player. There aren't stats tracking poor leadership, lazy penalties, or blown scoring chances, all prominent features of Horcoff's game.

Quote:
Hemsky too-- he's never been a useless player. His past 2 seasons have been steps down, but he was no longer the "go to," was older, and had a long history of injuries. It made sense. But he was never as bad as dicks like Spector said he was. He just has an effortless-looking style that makes it look like he isn't trying. That hasn't changed and if you watch him this year, he still doesn't look like he's trying that hard, but he's getting more results, so people shut up.
Except the inaction this summer pretty well demonstrated he was that bad. Our GM came right out and said he was trading Hemsky, no question about it. But Hemsky arrived here for camp in September after MacT literally could not give him away. Kind of backs up Spec's opinion.

For some reason, many people (not saying you) just can't handle hearing negative things about this team. One of the worst four year stretches in NHL history, and people still complain about "negative" comments. In fact, how any broadcaster has found something positive to say about this organization since 2009 is a marvel to me. This franchise, it's managers, coaches, and most players deserve every load of verbal poo that have been dumped on them and then some.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Tw0Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Except that most proponents of those stats like chances for/against will cling to that one stat as though it's the most important thing in evaluating a player. There aren't stats tracking poor leadership, lazy penalties, or blown scoring chances, all prominent features of Horcoff's game.

Except the inaction this summer pretty well demonstrated he was that bad. Our GM came right out and said he was trading Hemsky, no question about it. But Hemsky arrived here for camp in September after MacT literally could not give him away. Kind of backs up Spec's opinion.

For some reason, many people (not saying you) just can't handle hearing negative things about this team. One of the worst four year stretches in NHL history, and people still complain about "negative" comments. In fact, how any broadcaster has found something positive to say about this organization since 2009 is a marvel to me. This franchise, it's managers, coaches, and most players deserve every load of verbal poo that have been dumped on them and then some.
Big contracts are hard to move especially when the cap goes down. Grabo is a good player that toronto had to buy out. MacT said specifically that he wouldn't give away hemsky and horcoff by the way, so you're wrong on that account.

Tw0Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 06:40 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw0Shoes View Post
Big contracts are hard to move especially when the cap goes down. Grabo is a good player that toronto had to buy out. MacT said specifically that he wouldn't give away hemsky and horcoff by the way, so you're wrong on that account.
...And then MacT proceeded to give away Horcoff at the first opportunity. Unless you really think he was high on Larsson.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 05:09 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Time to ***** about another commercial...the O2s commercials where they use the Jay Onrait "WATTTCH IT!!!" scream...so stupid. Quit it. It isn't funny. It's barely funny when Onrait did it on tv.

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Time to ***** about another commercial...the O2s commercials where they use the Jay Onrait "WATTTCH IT!!!" scream...so stupid. Quit it. It isn't funny. It's barely funny when Onrait did it on tv.
Terrible. I'll mention the Value Village one, that's **** is simply horrendous.

Also, what is up with the 1260 phone lines, it seems like every single day at least one of their shows has a dropped call mid interview... seems bush league

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 08:07 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post

Also, what is up with the 1260 phone lines, it seems like every single day at least one of their shows has a dropped call mid interview... seems bush league
thats been happening for a LONG time

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 11:24 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post

I've heard this one on numerous stations already. Halloween can't come quick enough.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 12:13 PM
BlueChip01

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
That is the dumbest and most annoying commercial. I don't even know where that WATTTCH IT thing came from so it was really weird when I heard it. Brutal commercial.

Still can't stand that financial one either. Don't even want to look up the correct spelling of his name. Rus dratwa or something. Cannot stand his voice.

BlueChip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 07:42 PM
abootzky

Top 5 worst commercials on TSN 1260 these days:

1. Playmore Tables and Games: "If you wanna be cool, you gotta play pool (yeah!!)..."
2. O2's Taphouse: "WATCH IT!!! WATCH IT!!!..."
3. Local dj Harman B for ???: "...Dec. 28th, deadmau5 and 2 Chaaaainz..."
4. (tie) Spence Diamonds & Sherwood Park Toyota: Anything that comes out of the mouths of Sean Jones & Sarah or Art Angelski & Jenny.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 12:49 PM
abootzky

Another Pipeline Show today, another episode with no Dean Millard. Is Millard another casualty of the Bell/TSN rebranding? Does this also mean the end of Millard's golf show? Has Dean been on Global lately (I'm a loyal CTV viewer so I don't know)? Is Taylor Medak Guy's new permanent co-host? So many questions.

I really like TPS but I thought the Flaming/Millard dynamic made it even better.

Old
11-04-2013, 02:20 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Another Pipeline Show today, another episode with no Dean Millard. (1)Is Millard another casualty of the Bell/TSN rebranding? (2)Does this also mean the end of Millard's golf show? (3)Has Dean been on Global lately (I'm a loyal CTV viewer so I don't know)? (4)Is Taylor Medak Guy's new permanent co-host? So many questions.

I really like TPS but (5) I thought the Flaming/Millard dynamic made it even better.
1. No.
2. The Golf Show ended once NHL season/camp began in mid-September. It's a seasonal show. (but not mine so I don't know, that's just my understanding).
3. No. Dean has taken some personal time off from TV and radio.
4. No. Taylor works the board and is responsible for the Inside the AJHL segment on Tuesdays because, as the voice of the Sherwood Park Crusaders, he's well positioned to handle it. Dean and I thought it was a good way to get him some exposure too.
5. I'm glad that you like the show as is right now but I agree with you and I miss working with my friend.

Always happy to hear feedback from listeners, both the good and bad kind. Got a junior or college team/prospect you want to hear from? A 2014 eligible guy for our regular Draft Spotlight segment? - LET ME KNOW.

I appreciate the note abootzky

11-04-2013, 08:42 AM
BlueChip01

Who is the complete moron of a host making excuses for the oilers effort on Saturday? On 1260

BlueChip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
Who is the complete moron of a host making excuses for the oilers effort on Saturday? On 1260
Wil Fraser is what I think you're looking for I guess.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:57 AM
OilerFan4Life

I haven't listened to Stauffer's homerism since the season started but has he poached Spector yet???

Stauffer and Spector were always a good pair on 1260 and with him cut there I'd love to see him be a regular contributor to Oilers Now

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
Did anyone listen to the interview with Dave Lumley on Oilers Now just a few minutes ago?

He should be our GM or President of Hockey Operations

amirite?

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 03:19 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
Did anyone listen to the interview with Dave Lumley on Oilers Now just a few minutes ago?

He should be our GM or President of Hockey Operations

amirite?
Coles notes version?

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 05:21 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
I haven't listened to Stauffer's homerism since the season started but has he poached Spector yet???

Stauffer and Spector were always a good pair on 1260 and with him cut there I'd love to see him be a regular contributor to Oilers Now
Maybe one segment a week. Spector is not nearly enough of a blue/orange Kool-Aid dispenser for the Oilers' liking.

Old
11-19-2013, 05:26 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Coles notes version?
-Oilers too 1-dimensional
-Should've traded Gagner when value was high
-not sure if there's a will to win and don't compete hard enough
-tough to trade "young guns" when everyone is on big contracts

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 08:46 AM
joestevens29

Why is Doug Maclean allowed on TSN 1260 every other day, but Spec isn't?

Old
11-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Hmm never thought of that, good point

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 10:26 AM
rosemount289

Tsn...........???

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Why is Doug Maclean allowed on TSN 1260 every other day, but Spec isn't?
You are right.........they are both employed by Sportsnet...........maybe Doug always appears as a guest..........while Spector is employed as a hosts.............!!!

My take???

rosemount289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 11:06 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemount289 View Post
You are right.........they are both employed by Sportsnet...........maybe Doug always appears as a guest..........while Spector is employed as a hosts.............!!!

My take???
I understand Spec losing his show, but losing the Spec report and never coming onto Gregor's show seems a bit odd. I could even understand not having the Spec report, but you'd think at the very least Spec could talk for 15 minutes a few times a week.

Old
11-20-2013, 11:11 AM
0ilerman
The King

Spector was good for 1260. His show was brutal - not a good host for a 2 hour show. But his 15 minute hits were usually insightful and he had a good pulse of the team and the city

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote