HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FA Signings, Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IX:

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2013, 09:43 AM
EDMOilers1984

vCash: 500
It's time to start trading roster players and picks for elite leaders and verterans.....Yak and a first for sure would be a great package for a defenceman.......

We have so many young talented palyers, we need a Leader, we need a star defenceman......Since Pronger left (I hate that man), this team as sad as it is to say, has gone DOWNHILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL>...........

Old
11-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

IMO we should start by moving guys like Gagner and Hemsky and replacing them with guys that can win board battles. Do that before doing anything rash.

11-04-2013, 09:56 AM
OilerFan4Life

Moving Gagner huh?

IATL, myself, and a few others proposed that this summer and were nearly internet murdered by the posters on this board.

Old
11-04-2013, 09:57 AM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
IMO we should start by moving guys like Gagner and Hemsky and replacing them with guys that can win board battles. Do that before doing anything rash.
That makes too much sense, we are in panic mode now, we need to trade 1st overalls for physical 3rd liners!

Old
11-04-2013, 09:59 AM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19Oilers View Post
Well, I guess a lot of what this comes down to are my views on Eberle. When I watch Eberle play, I don't see the "superstar/core" player that a lot of people here do. Of course the skill-set is obvious, but I see a player that 1) doesn't consistently compete hard, and has become
increasingly prone to tunnel vision 2) gets too much credit for putting up points against weaker teams and doesn't take enough flack for not producing against tougher teams, 3) vanishes completely and has no answer whatsoever for opponents playing him tough defensively. A few successful toe-drags and nice goals here and there aren't enough to make me consider this guy a franchise player. His production is almost entirely based on if the guys he is playing with are "on". If he is asked to be the go-to guy on a line, unless he is playing against weaker competition, he will struggle. I honestly don't see him surpassing the 76 points he had 2 years ago, unless he is riding on the coat tails of Hall and RNH.

I don't dispute that he is a much more skilled player than Wayne Simmonds, but based on the group of forwards that we have, I think that the TYPE skillset Eberle has is too redundant and that Wayne Simmonds would be more valuable to this team, based on what he brings. More points doesn't equal more valuable.

Finely someone else gets it . I been saying for a while that points in the standing and playoffs has more value then a player . I think Simmonds makes us a better team while he is not as skilled , he brings so toughness some grit and can still score . Time for Yakupov and Eberle to go and bring in some tough players that can still play . Gagner needs to go for a bigger better defensive centre man . I like all these players , but I an Oiler fan first a player fan 2nd

Old
11-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Trading your second line centre who just signed a new contract and is three games or so back from a serious injury is pretty damn rash.

Old
11-04-2013, 10:07 AM
popo

Quote:
I question whether there is any market for Gagner out there. I suspect he was shopped this past off season. With the contract they gave him, he becomes very difficult ot unload.
I'd start by just moving him to the wing and put him in a position to succeed. Not sure why they couldn't have given him a conditioning stint in the AHL upon his return to get him back in shape first. His return has coincided with 2 losses at a 9-0 aggregate score.

Old
11-04-2013, 10:25 AM
OilerFan4Life

Eberle and Smid for Del Zotto and Kreider.

Old
11-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

The Rangers seem to be offensively inept right now and are relying on Lundqvist to carry every game. Maybe we can poach Ryan McDonagh off them for Eberle+Smid or something. Although a more realistic scenario would be around Eberle and Marc Staal. If we're going to trade one of the kids, it should be Eberle. Hall and RNH are without a shadow of a doubt the players this team needs to function, while Yak has more talent and better work ethic than Eberle, not to mention his value is at an all time low. The Oilers should be looking to dump Hemsky and Gagner for players that can actually win puck battles though.

Old
11-04-2013, 10:27 AM
ResilientBeast
MLFH Edmonton Titans

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Eberle and Smid for Del Zotto and Kreider.
Ew no, We need players who can play now, Kreider is not that.

Old
11-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Moving Gagner huh?

IATL, myself, and a few others proposed that this summer and were nearly internet murdered by the posters on this board.
Well apparently MacT feels the same way with the NTC and all

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthropi View Post
That makes too much sense, we are in panic mode now, we need to trade 1st overalls for physical 3rd liners!
It would be a start, if we got some guys that can actually occupy defensemen down low it would open up the ice for our skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Trading your second line centre who just signed a new contract and is three games or so back from a serious injury is pretty damn rash.
A 2nd line center that in my eyes at least is part of what's wrong with the team, small, weak, poor defensively, coasts back on defense, etc. Arcobello has shown us just how "valuable" Gagner is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popo View Post
I question whether there is any market for Gagner out there. I suspect he was shopped this past off season. With the contract they gave him, he becomes very difficult ot unload.
I'd start by just moving him to the wing and put him in a position to succeed. Not sure why they couldn't have given him a conditioning stint in the AHL upon his return to get him back in shape first. His return has coincided with 2 losses at a 9-0 aggregate score.
If we can't move him then I'd definitely move him to the wing. That said I felt that MacT made a HUGE mistake signing him to that contract and I haven't seen anything to make me think otherwise.

Old
11-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
A 2nd line center that in my eyes at least is part of what's wrong with the team, small, weak, poor defensively, coasts back on defense, etc. Arcobello has shown us just how "valuable" Gagner is.
Arcobello is Gagner without the offense. All the warts, none of the upside.

Old
11-04-2013, 10:42 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
I know MacT 'promised' Gagner he wasn't going to be moved, but considering our dire situation, you have to think he's considering it right?

11-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Soundwave

I'd do Gagner + Hemsky for Couturier + Hartnell, though the Hartnell contract is pretty risky, he doesn't have a point yet this year and is under contract for three more seasons I think.

So Flyers kinda get bailed out of that deal.

I agree before making massive changes to the core, you need to surround them first with guys who can win board battles and are physical on the forecheck.

Hartnell RNH Eberle
Hall Couturier Yakupov
Smyth Gordon Perron
Gazdic Acton Pitlick

Is honestly the line up I'd like to see first.

Last edited by Soundwave: 11-04-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old
11-04-2013, 11:09 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
Ew no, We need players who can play now, Kreider is not that.
I'd welcome his 6'3" frame on this team... But not at the expense of Eberle. Also MDZ has looked terrible this year.

Old
11-04-2013, 11:10 AM
gqmixmaster

vCash: 50
Our top line needs to have experienced puck getters with skill

The only one that resembles that on our team is Perron, Gordon, Ryan Smyth and Ryan Jones

You could argue Perron could be 1st line, but the rest could at best be considered between line 2 and 4

The kids need to be sheltered when they are learning puck retrieval and intensity. RNH, eberle, gagner, and yak should all be playing no more than second line minutes IMO.

I think the quickest solution is to trade one of the kids or prospects in a deal for a top line RW or C that can participate in puck pursuit/retrieval - A guy like Nathan Horton (if he wasnt as injury prone), Simmonds who may not be top line material, at least embodies some of these attributes, Jordan Staal (not available I would assume), Lecavalier (was available as a UFA maybe not anymore) etc..

If you had just one vet added in the top line, you could at least shelter the kids a bit while still offering top line ice to the best playing kid.

Old
11-04-2013, 11:12 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I know MacT 'promised' Gagner he wasn't going to be moved, but considering our dire situation, you have to think he's considering it right?
I feel this way too. I bet he at least talks to Gagner if a deal is to be made and makes sure he is willing to go to the team he is traded too.

I know the odds are heavily against Edmonton but I still feel like if they can get a team changing blockbuster deal done quickly than they still have a chance.

Lets say that the playoff cutoff line is going to be 100pts in the west this year. That means Edmonton is going to need 92 more points in the remaining 67 games. So there is 134 points available and Edmonton needs 92 of them, 68.5% of available points.

Basically they need to go 7W 3L in every ten games.

This team needs a major shake up if they want to achieve that.. GET IT DONE MAC T!

Old
11-04-2013, 11:12 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I'd do Gagner + Hemsky for Couturier + Hartnell, though the Hartnell contract is pretty risky, he doesn't have a point yet this year and is under contract for three more seasons I think.

So Flyers kinda get bailed out of that deal.

I agree before making massive changes to the core, you need to surround them first with guys who can win board battles and are physical on the forecheck.
I could see the Hartnell contract being like the Lupul Contract. If he can turn it around he would be a steal.

Old
11-04-2013, 11:28 AM
EberleHills90210

Hoping Subban doesn't sign an extension with Montreal... Potential for an offer sheet there...

Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 - Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd
Over $8,410,976 - Four 1st Round Picks

I'd be willing to give up four firsts for a 1 D man long term.. seems like we need a bold move like this to get rolling... too bad that couldn't even happen until next year

Old
11-04-2013, 11:38 AM
mondo3

vCash: 571
Winnipeg fan here…
Would Byfuglien or Bogosian be of interest?
We are need a 1st line forwards.

Old
11-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
I don't necessarily have a problem with trading him (he'd be the first out the door if I had to choose). But I'd rather see him traded for something better than what we've seen proposed, ideally a #1 or potential #1 D.
There's no team in the league who will trade a number one D man, or even a potential one for Eberle straight up. Eberle can be a key part of a package, like Eberle, Marincin and a 1st for Weber (Lupul, Smid/Sbisa, 1st for Pronger) or can be used to acquire some good depth, size and leadership.

Old
11-04-2013, 11:42 AM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
Winnipeg fan here…
Yes and yes

and yes again

Old
11-04-2013, 11:42 AM
frag2

Quote:
Winnipeg fan here…
Take Eberle

Old
11-04-2013, 11:46 AM
CurrenR

vCash: 450
Quote:
Winnipeg fan here…
Yes both would be of interest more so Bogosian than Byfuglien.

Old
11-04-2013, 11:47 AM
BowDangles

I would want either Bogosian or Buf but I don't know if i would give up a kid for them.
I've heard that Bogo is playing at a #3-4D level.

Im hesitant trading a kid (who is basically locked up long term with Edm) for Buff because he has two years left after this on his deal. So potentially he could be gone come 2.5 years from now..

Closed Thread