HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks fall to Flames in OT 3-2

Old
11-04-2013, 10:51 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post
Hurray for the loser point!

Seriously though glad we got it, it looked like another one of those nights where the goalie on the other side decides to have a game of his life type performance.
That seems to happen a lot with the Hawks, not just this year but the last couple of years. Especially when it's a rookie or backup. I guess facing the champs or a premier team fires up the opposition.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:03 AM
hawksfan50

vCash: 500
Analysis of why we lost:

1. CGY blocked 25 shots...Team Dynasty could only summon up the compete and sacrifice and risk level to muster JUST 7 blocked shots...sure we shot more than them but still the BS stat showed which team wanted the win more...

2. Culprit on the CGY 1st goal was our Stupor Star #19 who was lolligagging out high watching the play with back turned to the point shot instrad of hustling to a position to face the shot and attempt a block...vetdict: FAIL!

3.Culprit on the CGY OT goal was our Stupor Star #88 who failed to hustle out to the loint shooter and attempt a shot block...verdict: despite his goal and assist this does not excuse the lack of hustle and lack of willingness to risk a block and possible loss of teeth or other injury or just momentary pain to help protect Crawford and the team
..so again the verdict is : FAIL!

P.S. It is harder to fail Brookbank on the CGY 2nd goal for getting beaten on a speed rush by Glencross who got off a wicked shot to score...because he can be beaten with speed..so this was not a failure of hustle or will but an actual ability flaw taken advantage of by CGY.

Anyway they scored 3. ..2 of which might have been preventable except for the poster boys unwillingness to compete harder by getting to correct position and blocking a shot attempt.

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Hawkaholic

Petty sure there is nothing to worry about.

We were out played by Calgary last year, although we won that game, we could of just as easily won this game but we were not out played. Pretty sure we won the cup last year, so the sky isn't falling.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:58 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Blow it up!

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:59 AM
BobbyJet

I’m not sure we want to have Q coach like a Torts and insist that our offensive stars block shots at every opportunity. Injury is inevitable playing that style. We want these guys to continue to do what has been successful…. And it is the reality of an 82 game schedule plus playoffs that the team is not going to play every game like it’s the finals. That said, I agree the team has become a tad complacent at times … especially against what is perceived to be weaker teams, but that is as much a product of the ridiculous workload of an NHL season as anything.

But if you want to ***** - what I absolutely hate is the defensive system Hawks employ that allows players to stand around and/or storm our crease area with little if any physical resistance, largely relying on stick work to get the job done…. I have for a few years in fact, but amazingly it has worked. So what can I say? I suppose part of Q’s philosophy is we stay out of the penalty box, and if our PP is right we punish the ops that way. Just hope Crawford can continue to avoid injury as I'm sure teams are well aware of our passive play around the blue paint.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
Analysis of why we lost:

1. CGY blocked 25 shots...Team Dynasty could only summon up the compete and sacrifice and risk level to muster JUST 7 blocked shots...sure we shot more than them but still the BS stat showed which team wanted the win more
Actually, it's more of a representation of which team had more shot attempts.

Old
11-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
But if you want to ***** - what I absolutely hate is the defensive system Hawks employ that allows players to stand around and/or storm our crease area with little if any physical resistance, largely relying on stick work to get the job done….
An odd time to complain about that, considering not one of the goals last night was preventable by "clearing the crease".

Old
11-04-2013, 12:03 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Flames fan here just wanted to say you guys have an amazing team and a great fan base. You guys controlled most of the game and without Berra having an amazing first game we would have lost. Anyways it was a really exciting game good luck going forward.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
9-2-4 on year now. So at least they got another pt

Get as many as possible early in year
Exactly..... Sure this should have been a shoe-in win but you cant win every game. Also, one must remember Calgary's perspective of the game - beating the Hawks - even in OT is a win for them - not only in the standings but team morale.

You can't win them all but I would call the Hawks currant record anything but a "cup hangover." IMO, they're just getting their game together (the game we know they can play)...

They've gotten point's in 13 of 15 games, 9 of them wins to boot - not to shabby of a start, and they're not even playing at the level they're capable of playing at.

I'm just terrified if Crawford goes down with injury.... We really need a backup that isn't Khabby - I hated that signing back in July and I hate it even more now.

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:08 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
I think Raanta would start regardless of how good or bad Khaby is playing because everyone knows Khaby can't handle a starter's workload.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:12 PM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
Analysis of why we lost:

1. CGY blocked 25 shots...Team Dynasty could only summon up the compete and sacrifice and risk level to muster JUST 7 blocked shots...sure we shot more than them but still the BS stat showed which team wanted the win more...

2. Culprit on the CGY 1st goal was our Stupor Star #19 who was lolligagging out high watching the play with back turned to the point shot instrad of hustling to a position to face the shot and attempt a block...vetdict: FAIL!

3.Culprit on the CGY OT goal was our Stupor Star #88 who failed to hustle out to the loint shooter and attempt a shot block...verdict: despite his goal and assist this does not excuse the lack of hustle and lack of willingness to risk a block and possible loss of teeth or other injury or just momentary pain to help protect Crawford and the team
..so again the verdict is : FAIL!

P.S. It is harder to fail Brookbank on the CGY 2nd goal for getting beaten on a speed rush by Glencross who got off a wicked shot to score...because he can be beaten with speed..so this was not a failure of hustle or will but an actual ability flaw taken advantage of by CGY.

Anyway they scored 3. ..2 of which might have been preventable except for the poster boys unwillingness to compete harder by getting to correct position and blocking a shot attempt.
Thank you for formatting your post. It's the first one of yours that I've completely read, even if I don't happen to agree with it all.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I think Raanta would start regardless of how good or bad Khaby is playing because everyone knows Khaby can't handle a starter's workload.
Khabby isn't a viable option.... He's done.

The Hawks will eventually have to call-up Raanta - that or sign someone.

I'd love to have Emery back, Tim Thomas is also another solution as a backup.

The Hawks are fine the way they are, however or only weak spot is a backup goaltender.

Old
11-04-2013, 12:32 PM
KyleJRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeticDonut View Post
That seems to happen a lot with the Hawks, not just this year but the last couple of years. Especially when it's a rookie or backup. I guess facing the champs or a premier team fires up the opposition.
That's part of it, but a lot of it is that we give other teams' goalies the opportunity to do it so often. When you are almost always outplaying the competition, then you are going to have more "outplayed but didn't quite get the bounces/result" games.

KyleJRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
That's part of it, but a lot of it is that we give other teams' goalies the opportunity to do it so often. When you are almost always outplaying the competition, then you are going to have more "outplayed but didn't quite get the bounces/result" games.
Like both Minnesota games where the puck was bouncing everywhere - not only that but both teams had a difficult time keeping control of the puck...

The game in Chicago was the worst - the passing was awful and even if a Hawk did get the puck it was bouncing all over the place - not to mention the numerous "blowouts" players had... The Hawks could have scored 10 goals that game...

Hawks would have won that game if Shaws (legal) goal would have been allowed (that was an epic failure on the zebras on that no-goal)

Old
11-04-2013, 03:45 PM
giza

Calgary game

Berra won that game for Calgary. That said, Calgary didn't play poorly and generated their fair share of quality chances. Hawks look like a team trying to figure out how O and D they have to play to get past team without killing themselves. They look too loose on team D and, of course, Crow will always let in the occasional weak one like he did in OT this game. I think Troy Murray mentioned, as well, that the Hawks aren't getting any presence in front of the goalies. Got to get dirty goals when an NHL goalie is on his game.

giza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 04:22 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by giza View Post
Berra won that game for Calgary. That said, Calgary didn't play poorly and generated their fair share of quality chances. Hawks look like a team trying to figure out how O and D they have to play to get past team without killing themselves. They look too loose on team D and, of course, Crow will always let in the occasional weak one like he did in OT this game. I think Troy Murray mentioned, as well, that the Hawks aren't getting any presence in front of the goalies. Got to get dirty goals when an NHL goalie is on his game.
Can someone please explain to me how that OT goal was weak? It deflected off of Shaw, the majority of goalies in the world aren't going to stop that.

MTP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Atomic Punk
Mean Streets

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTP View Post
Can someone please explain to me how that OT goal was weak? It deflected off of Shaw, the majority of goalies in the world aren't going to stop that.
Exactly. It was not weak at all. Why people say it was is beyond me.

Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Hawkaholic

Not only that Russell has a bomb, and I doubt Crawford even saw it.

The only goal you arguably put on Crow was the 2nd one. A shot from the faceoff dot should not go in, although it was a pretty wicked wrister.

Old
11-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Polcirkeln

Thanks for the game yesterday. Had a fun time bantering with some Blackhawks fans in the stands and (of course) can't complain about the outcome. See you again next year in the United Center!

Polcirkeln is offline   Reply With Quote