HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Arizona Sports Thread III: DBacks, Cardinals, Suns, Wildcats, Sun Devils, etc ‎

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2013, 08:26 AM
awfulwaffle

vCash: 500
Ok, ASU is #22 in the BCS. I'm not really concerned about that though. Is anyone familiar with the tie breaking procedures as far as who would win the South?

It's a 4 team race right now, still plenty of football left to be played. ASU has had their struggles on the road, so I'm concerned with how we will do against UCLA. I'm just spit balling here, but what would happen if:

Arizona beats UCLA
UCLA beats ASU
ASU beats Arizona
UCLA beats USC

I'm assuming that the only loss left for ASU this year would be against UCLA. This would in fact put ASU/UCLA/Arizona all tied with the same record. Maybe it's too early to think about this, but I like ASU at home against Arizona. Utah should be a win, and Oregon State has regressed, and I like us winning a shootout against them. Fun time to be an ASU fan right now though. 50+ points in the past 3 weeks, one of which was against Washington.

Old
11-04-2013, 09:09 AM
awfulwaffle

One more topic. Suns. This team is FUN to watch so far. I know it's only been 3 games, but they play hard. Turnovers last night were the killer against the Thunder, and Dragic going down really hurt. Bledsoe was gassed at the end of the game.

Future of this team? I know Len/Goodwin are young, and will be around for a while. How old is Plumlee? I think they go after resigning Bledsoe, and then with the draft picks we have this year, assuming they use them correctly, this team could be scary good in a few years. Are these the guys I need to be looking at for the future of the Suns? I will admit, I haven't been a good fan, but they never really had a direction while they still had Nash here. I see now what their plan is, and I like it.

Old
11-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Naurutger

vCash: 1454
This is how I see the final South Standings (bold=win)

Arizona State-Utah OSU UCLA AZ (3-1) (7-2)
USC-CAL STAN COL UCLA (3-1) (6-3)
Arizona-UCLA WSU ORE ASU (2-2) (5-4)
UCLA-AZ WASH ASU USC (1-3) (4-5)

I am very low on UCLA right now and Utah will play tough at home with their QB back (upset ASU). I see USC finishing better. Now in my version, I see a three way tie if Arizona could pull out something (AZ USC ASU). Az lost to USC, USC lot to ASU so the 3rd is record within the division (Actual and Projections):

USC AZ UTAH COL UCLA (4-1)
AZ UTAH COL UCLA ASU (4-1)
ASU USC COL UCLA (3-2)

So if Arizona beats ASU then USC gets it since they beat Arizona. And this took me about 20 minutes to figure out based on my projections so I give up. It doesn't matter anyways, getting smoked by Oregon a week later isnt appealing. So congrats to winning the south (insert team), here is your extra loss going into a bowl.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_...12-tiebreakers

Old
11-04-2013, 10:24 AM
awfulwaffle

Hey, you never know. Maybe Oregon will have an off night. This Thursday's game between Oregon and Stanford should be good hopefully. I hate seeing closely ranked teams have a blowout. For once I would like a closely ranked matchup to live up to the hype.

Old
11-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Naurutger

Just noticed that Oregon plays OSU 6 days after they return from Arizona. Might consider putting OU on upset alert since a short week after a long trip affects college teams. OSU plays in Wash but a shorter trip. But that also means OU has an extra day to plan for the title game. But that Stanford game is looming first. The more I think about everything, the more I give up.

Old
11-04-2013, 10:42 AM
awfulwaffle

Ha, yeah maybe I made this post a bit too early. One week at a time I guess.

Old
11-04-2013, 12:17 PM
gra
Custom User Title

vCash: 466
Former Arizona QB Nick Foles ties the record for most TD's in a game with 7 vs Oakland Yesterday.

Old
11-04-2013, 01:33 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Former Arizona QB Nick Foles ties the record for most TD's in a game with 7 vs Oakland Yesterday.
I don't know if that's much of an achievement playing against the Raiders. That's like playing Tennis with no net.

Old
11-04-2013, 01:48 PM
gra
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpetCleaner View Post
I don't know if that's much of an achievement playing against the Raiders. That's like playing Tennis with no net.
Yea but it's rare for a QB in the NFL to score that many TD's in one game with Peyton Manning tying that same record vs a weaker team a few weeks ago and it wasn't until 1969 that Joe Kapp threw for 7 TD's in one game. I'm not saying Foles is going to be the next elite QB but it's nice to see something like this happen and he is the youngest player ever in the NFL to throw that many TD's in one game.

Same thing with Brian Boucher, he isn't among the best goalies ever but it was nice to see him break the record for the consecutive shutout streak in the NHL while playing for the Coyotes as well.

Last edited by gra: 11-04-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old
11-04-2013, 06:25 PM
awfulwaffle

Might be trying to go to the Suns game this Friday against the Nuggets. Anyone have season tickets that are able to get cheaper tickets than what they have on stubhub and such? They are pretty pricey out there.

Old
11-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Naurutger

Reports: Texas hires Steve Patterson as athletic director

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2...etic-director/

Wonder if their coach has a new dream....

Do have to say that I made fun of this situation when I heard he "turned it down" last week. Guess it was his.

Old
11-05-2013, 01:12 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebranded Fan View Post
Reports: Texas hires Steve Patterson as athletic director

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2...etic-director/

Wonder if their coach has a new dream....

Do have to say that I made fun of this situation when I heard he "turned it down" last week. Guess it was his.
I'm pretty pissed right now. If Patterson gives Mack Brown another year and Todd Graham takes the Devils bowling then that sets up the scenario where Graham goes to Texas. We're talking about the school with the largest athletic department budget in the nation here, so it's not like you say no. Hopefully Texas comes to its senses and fires Brown, then hires some big name that won't flame out quickly.

I hate the politics of college athletics. The big money programs continually suck the life away from their competitors. ASU is in a difficult position because they are an attractive job but not powerful enough to retain talent. I won't call Patterson a traitor but he did reportedly say no to Texas' initial offer. Guess money and boosters have a way of changing that.

Quote:
He is the third athletic director to leave ASU for a high-profile job at another school following Kevin White to Notre Dame in 2000 and Gene Smith to Ohio State in 2005.

Old
11-07-2013, 12:07 PM
awfulwaffle

Suns lose a heartbreaker to the Spurs. I'm all for losing this season as much as possible for the best possible chance at a draft pick, but I hate losing to the Spurs and Lakers so much. Green is a good shooter, but that kid doesn't know what to do with the ball when he gets it. Kid looks like he has a million things running through his mind. Can't wait for Dragic to come back, the offense should run more fluidly when he returns. Good news is we barely lost last night, and were in the game with the Thunder nearly the whole game. This team is fun to watch, and I can't wait to see where we are a few years down the road.

Old
11-07-2013, 12:11 PM
gra
Custom User Title

Suns won't be going anywhere in the future unless they get a new owner, period!

Old
11-07-2013, 12:21 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Suns won't be going anywhere in the future unless they get a new owner, period!
While I'm drinking the Sarver Hate-o-rade, have you watched any of the suns games this year?

They have set themselves up quite well for the future if they draft correctly. Haven't seen much of Len, he's been injured, but Plumlee has been a great addition, Goodwin should pan out, and Bledsoe will be resigned. Not only are they playing well, they are also fun to watch.

Old
11-07-2013, 12:28 PM
gra
Custom User Title

Quote:
While I'm drinking the Sarver Hate-o-rade, have you watched any of the suns games this year?

They have set themselves up quite well for the future if they draft correctly. Haven't seen much of Len, he's been injured, but Plumlee has been a great addition, Goodwin should pan out, and Bledsoe will be resigned. Not only are they playing well, they are also fun to watch.
Many of those players mentioned are expected by many to turn out to be a bust, especially Len. And yes I have seen the games, what I'm seeing right now is a team that will be brought back down to Earth as the season goes along.

Old
11-07-2013, 12:34 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Many of those players mentioned are expected by many to turn out to be a bust, especially Len. And yes I have seen the games, what I'm seeing right now is a team that will be brought back down to Earth as the season goes along.
Yes, because when someone says they will be a bust, that means they will be a bust. Same goes for every draft pick that they say would be great, but actually sucks. Many of the "Scouts" were debating on who should be picked first, Manning or Ryan Leaf. Yeah, Leaf panned out real well. I take what those "experts" say with a grain of salt.

Old
11-08-2013, 09:07 AM
awfulwaffle

Wow, Stanford last night against Oregon. Complete domination. I mean, it's safe to say whoever between those 2 goes to the Pac-12 Championship game will win, but it's crazy to think they lost to UTAH! Not to discredit Utah, they are a good football team, but the Oregon loss last night changes the landscape for the BCS Championship as well as the bowl situation for the Pac-12.

Old
11-08-2013, 05:12 PM
gra
Custom User Title

Quote:
While I'm drinking the Sarver Hate-o-rade
Except I see nothing from your posts that suggest that you're drinking this considering all I have seen you do is praise the Suns based on only a small sample of games since the Sarver blow-up and rebuild.

Old
11-08-2013, 07:20 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Sarver took a perennial contender and ran it straight into the ground. His handling of Joe Johnson is enough for me to never support that team so long as he owns it. That he may have made some decent moves since does not excuse him for his prior crimes against the valley.

As best as I can tell, he hired a legitimate GM this time around. Hopefully he just lets him do what he wants Maloney style.

Old
11-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Naurutger

Was watching the Cal Poly Arizona game and just realized Matt McConnell was doing play by play on the pac 12 network

Old
11-08-2013, 11:13 PM
doaner

Quote:
Except I see nothing from your posts that suggest that you're drinking this considering all I have seen you do is praise the Suns based on only a small sample of games since the Sarver blow-up and rebuild.
I think you missed his point. I'm pretty sure he was being facishous. Sarver is not the issue. They (unfortunaetly) have a good team this year.

Old
11-09-2013, 06:27 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

ASU wins at the last second with a Sutton interception.

Old
11-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Viskeywrobr

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
ASU wins at the last second with a Sutton interception.
Was that a prediction or report? I am inside jobing.com arena is why I ask. I see a final score online but no revap yet, and asu was dowm 19-14 when I got inside.

Old
11-09-2013, 07:47 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viskeywrobr View Post
Was that a prediction or report? I am inside jobing.com arena is why I ask. I see a final score online but no revap yet, and asu was dowm 19-14 when I got inside.
They won 20-19.

Closed Thread