HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL

*OFFICIAL* Halifax Mooseheads 2013-2014 Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2013, 01:43 PM
IrishInOntario

vCash: 500
Sheppard isn't a "monster"... He's 6'0, 215lbs kid from Scarbrough (a really tough suberb of Toronto). They just playa very tough style of hockey down there and that's Sheppard's game. He isn't out there to do much other than right and rope other guys into fighting... Halifax just doesn't have many guys to out him on his ass. Weegar stepped up, but really shouldn't be fighting. Alcalde won his fight fairly handidly, But Gatineau has a tough, physical, team... Halifax wasn't a "goon" team last year, but Fournier and Lewis didn't back down from anyone. Now you have a guy like Weegar, who should be focusing on scoring goals and playing sound offense, fighting battles against scrubbs, because Halifax just doesn't have many of those guys playing.

As for the fight itself... It wasn't dirty. When Weegar clobbered Reway early in the game (clean hit, no penalty) Sheppard went right after him. A lot was said but it was a the end of Weegar's shift, so you knew it would happen later in the game. The puck got dumped down into the Gatineau end in the 2nd period, Weegar was the last man back, so Sheppard hung around with him. They talked again, and the gloves came off. Both landed some clean punches and when they clinched, Sheppard went for the takedown. There wasn't anything dirty about it. Just hockey. Unfortunately, Weegar went down awkwardly, and Sheppard's weight landed on top of him... When they came off the pile, Weegar tried to get up and couldn't put any weight on his leg... He crawled a bit and his guys carried him to the bench...

Again, there was nothing dirty about the play. IMO, it's a part of hockey and knowing Mack, I know he understands that... I simply think that Halifax should invest in a some more toughness that can play. I actually think they're a good team, but Drouin needs to give a crap, Weegar and Lewis need to get healthy, Ashley needs to be smarter and stay out of the penalty box and a big body up front would help.

Trading Duke (if he has any value) and acquiring a scrappy defenseman, and adding another big, tough, body in front would go along way against a team like Gatineau, who I think will challenge for the Q crown this year if Poirier stays healthy. Steeves is solid in net as well.

Old
10-31-2013, 03:10 PM
welcometothebigshow2

Tradefront:
I think some potential targets for Halifax on the backend, if they're looking for someone big and scrappy, could be Primeau (Bathurst), McCabe (Moncton), Rusk (Rimouski), McQuaid (Saint John), Laverdure (Sherbrooke) or Donnelly (Cape Breton), if they're looking for guys to play the 6-7 role, but if they're looking for more Diaby from Victoriaville could be a good pickup. Ross Johnston would be a solid addition up front as he can contribute on the second or third line, and handle himself against anyone in the league. There are options available, but Halifax isn't much for icing a tough team, at least the past couple years. They should also, IMO add a backup goalie for when Fucale goes to World Juniors, Darveau is alright, but this team really needs someone to hold the fort down when Zach leaves.

Old
10-31-2013, 03:40 PM
Roz

This is definitely a game that showed Halifax's youth. As a pretty young team with two big leaders out due to injury, they're going to have trouble with consistency and they're going to get a little pushed around. They seem to be in a cycle now where they play 3 or 4 solid games in a row and then struggle for the next couple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishInOntario View Post
Again, there was nothing dirty about the play. IMO, it's a part of hockey and knowing Mack, I know he understands that... I simply think that Halifax should invest in a some more toughness that can play. I actually think they're a good team, but Drouin needs to give a crap, Weegar and Lewis need to get healthy, Ashley needs to be smarter and stay out of the penalty box and a big body up front would help.
How did Lovell look this game? He's a guy who's really stepped up his physical play in the absence of Lewis, but he's not much of a fighter. How about Hardie?

Quote:
Tradefront:
I think some potential targets for Halifax on the backend, if they're looking for someone big and scrappy, could be Primeau (Bathurst), McCabe (Moncton), Rusk (Rimouski), McQuaid (Saint John), Laverdure (Sherbrooke) or Donnelly (Cape Breton), if they're looking for guys to play the 6-7 role, but if they're looking for more Diaby from Victoriaville could be a good pickup. Ross Johnston would be a solid addition up front as he can contribute on the second or third line, and handle himself against anyone in the league. There are options available, but Halifax isn't much for icing a tough team, at least the past couple years. They should also, IMO add a backup goalie for when Fucale goes to World Juniors, Darveau is alright, but this team really needs someone to hold the fort down when Zach leaves.
Our biggest problem, I think, is that with the parity in the league this is definitely going to be a seller's market, and we don't have a ton of assets.

What do we have to offer? Duke and Ciampini. Fucale and Weegar and Ryan as futures. Maybe hope someone's willing to take a flyer on Drouin's 2014-2015 rights. Maybe Falkenham, but I'm guessing that the hockey staff see him as next year's captain. I doubt they're going to offer much in the way of draft picks because we're pretty skimpy on those as it is right now.

We're currently 3 weeks in to Trey's 6-week minimum absence. If he's back in, and if Drouin can work through his mental roadblocks, then we probably look at buying. If not, I think Drouin, Weegar, and maybe Andrews are gone at the deadline and we start raking in draft picks once the season's over.

Old
10-31-2013, 05:38 PM
Domhnall Dubh
Bluenoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcometothebigshow2 View Post
Tradefront:
I wonder what Laverdure would cost. A 5th maybe?

Old
10-31-2013, 06:07 PM
VanNistelrooy

So. Are you guys trading Drouin or not?

Old
10-31-2013, 06:25 PM
Roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy View Post
So. Are you guys trading Drouin or not?
I don't think any of us work for Cam Russell so we're probably the wrong people to ask

If they're on top of the division by a comfortable margin at Christmas, then we're probably buyers. If they're still hovering around .500 and the injury trouble continues, then we're probably sellers. If we're in the middle of those two, it's a coin flip. It's too early to say, as the discussion here indicates.

As frustrating as it is to be in no man's land, it's kind of exciting too: We have a choice between going on another run with a 3rd overall NHL pick, one of the top goaltenders in the CHL, a high-flying rookie, and a top-shelf coaching staff...or unloading some of those assets for prime picks and prospects to set us up down the road. It's a pretty high class problem.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:47 AM
MikeyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishInOntario View Post
I actually think they're a good team, but Drouin needs to give a crap, Weegar and Lewis need to get healthy, Ashley needs to be smarter and stay out of the penalty box and a big body up front would help.
QFT, also, we need Falkenham back but I guess that ship has sailed.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:48 AM
MikeyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcometothebigshow2 View Post
Tradefront:
They should also, IMO add a backup goalie for when Fucale goes to World Juniors, Darveau is alright, but this team really needs someone to hold the fort down when Zach leaves.
I thought in the games that he played, Darveau was actually better than alright. He had a shutout in one of them. I have no concern about Darveau in nets.

Old
11-01-2013, 12:44 PM
optimus2861

Quick note in today's Metro that says Weegar is out 2-4 weeks

Old
11-01-2013, 01:19 PM
MikeyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Quick note in today's Metro that says Weegar is out 2-4 weeks
So does what does that mean for D-men? Will they call up Worthen?

Old
11-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Roz

Lussier's back in the lineup so Jacques is available again.

Old
11-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Roz

Austyn Hardie for Q scoring title! Watch out, Mantha.

Old
11-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Went to take a piss and now it's 9-4

Old
11-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Roz

Well, we officially have a new franchise record for goals scored.

Hopefully this one ends without anyone getting too chippy.

Old
11-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 70
Wow 15-5!

Old
11-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Roz

Sooooo I guess one way to cope with a badly injured d-core is to score 15 goals.

What a beaut by Drouin.

Old
11-01-2013, 09:17 PM
Mathletic

Remparts scored 16 in a game back with Radulov. Otherwise you have to go back to the 70's for a team to score 16 in a game.

Old
11-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Dgill

Nice to score all these goals but I'm not liking Fucale getting lit up for the second time in back to back games. Tough road trip for him so far.

If you want to keep going he hasn't had a save percentage over .900 since October 23rd. From those for games he has stopped 56/68 shots for a percentage of .823. I'm sure this is just a bit of a slump and he is much more capable, but we need him playing top notch hockey with all the injuries we have received.

Last edited by Dgill: 11-01-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old
11-02-2013, 12:29 AM
Roz

Jonathan Drouin gets with Halifax Mooseheads’ program of being a more defensive-minded team:

Quote:
"Obviously, we're not going to win games 7-2 or by scores like that," Drouin said earlier this week as the Mooseheads embarked on a three-game swing through western Quebec.

I'd say I've gone from "completely unworried" to "mildly concerned" about Fucale's recent performance. This is the first time we've really seen him in a slump. Hopefully getting pulled tonight will help snap him out of it. When was the last time he was yanked (not counting game 4 in Baie-Comeau, lol)?

ETA: Brutal quality, but here's all the Mooseheads goals from tonight

1. Andrews 2. Murphy 3. Duke 4. Hardie 5. Ehlers 6. D. Moynihan 7. Ashley 8. Ehlers 9. Drouin 10. Ryan 11. D. Moynihan 12. Andrews 13. Ryan 14. Drouin 15. Lussier

Last edited by Roz: 11-02-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old
11-02-2013, 02:19 AM
Dgill

I wish the second Drouin goal was better quality, but it's nice to see those flashes again.

Old
11-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgill View Post
I wish the second Drouin goal was better quality, but it's nice to see those flashes again.
Far from perfect, but here's John Moore's version

Old
11-02-2013, 01:27 PM
HFX902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahpunk View Post
Wow 15-5!
Thats what im sayin.

Old
11-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 70
Another road win today. Drouin and Ashley with 3 points each. This team has now scored 19 goals in the last 2 games.

Old
11-03-2013, 04:48 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahpunk View Post
Another road win today. Drouin and Ashley with 3 points each. This team has now scored 19 goals in the last 2 games.
Oh boy, I would love to see another memcup final between you guys and Portland.

Two high scoring teams

Last edited by ImGoingNucks: 11-03-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old
11-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Roz

Per Willy Palov, Lewis is returning to practice tomorrow.

Closed Thread