HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos thread meet Devon Bailey Eskimo Latest draft pick

Old
11-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post
How can any of them get up in the morning and look at themselves and say they have done a good job?

I love the fact that Katz saved the Oil, but he could put a little effort into putting a half decent product on the ice.

Does he just not care?
Maybe if the Eskimos played on ice they would stand a chance..

Although I remember a particular Grey Cup years ago..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 01:29 PM
#ualberta

They fired him I'm shocked

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 02:07 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Why would that be?
Is there no accountability for upper management at the board level?
The board sees things differently than we do. Hervey has had one season as GM. The board doesn't see that as enough time to evaluate him. As fans we disagree, but we don't make those decisions.

Hey, anyone wonder if Hervey might contact Campbell before the Stamps’ season ends. We haven’t had a tampering charge yet this season.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Kyle McMahon

We cut off one festering limb, but there is still rot throughout the body. How big of a moron does Hervey appear to be for handing out that extension that will now be nothing more than Kavis' golden parachute? Obviously this decision was made some time ago, but instead of firing him in August when the season could have been saved, Hervey waited until it was over and thousands of fans had been driven away.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 02:54 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Correct me if I'm wrong but do we even have our 1st pick in the canadian draft next year?

Also, Austin Patzor is now the full-time starter in Jacksonville and I doubt he ever comes to the CFL. **sigh**

Our Canadian talent is garbage.

Also, someone please explain to me why we can never find speedsters for the return game/offense???

Hamilton finds Marcus Thigpen, Chris Williams, and now this Banks kid....Toronto got Owens. Hell even Winnipeg has major upside young offensive pieces to build around.

We got...a bunch of slow white guys (no offense) and the kids we have brought up here that were good in college have flat out sucked (Skylar Green)

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 02:57 PM
popo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but do we even have our 1st pick in the canadian draft next year?

Also, Austin Patzor is now the full-time starter in Jacksonville and I doubt he ever comes to the CFL. **sigh**

Our Canadian talent is garbage.

Also, someone please explain to me why we can never find speedsters for the return game/offense???

Hamilton finds Marcus Thigpen, Chris Williams, and now this Banks kid....Toronto got Owens. Hell even Winnipeg has major upside young offensive pieces to build around.

We got...a bunch of slow white guys (no offense) and the kids we have brought up here that were good in college have flat out sucked (Skylar Green)
We found a return guy. Did you not watch the last few games?
Agree on Pasztor though. Good for him; bad for us. Stefan Charles is still in the NFL as well.

popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 03:22 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:

Hamilton also found Tavoy Moore when Kavis erred and forgot to protect a guy they were high on. We haven't seen enough of the guy to know if he's great or a miss, but point is management loved the kid but messed up and Tillman et al scooped him up.

Old
11-04-2013, 04:45 PM
HotToddy

Love the presser...

to recap - Hervey seeks accountability but takes none on himself, team was good enough to win in his mind

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 04:55 PM
MoneyGuy

You missed the implication that the media have some blame in this debacle.

Old
11-04-2013, 05:10 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by popo View Post
We found a return guy. Did you not watch the last few games?
Agree on Pasztor though. Good for him; bad for us. Stefan Charles is still in the NFL as well.
I saw the return TD and it was beautiful. Can this guy play on offense?

We need better skill players. Look at the RBs in this league. Look at our RBs.
Stamps is elite but Bowman is at best a 3rd or 4th option.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 05:43 PM
abootzky

I'd really like to see the Esks at least consider two successful CIS head coaches (with CFL ties as well): Blake Nill of the Calgary Dinos and Greg Marshall of the Western Ontario Mustangs.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
Love the presser...

to recap - Hervey seeks accountability but takes none on himself, team was good enough to win in his mind
So if he thought the team was good enough, clearly he knew coaching was a big problem. But instead of fixing that problem at any point in the season, he allowed it to continue hurting the club. And this is the guy we entrust to run the football team.

Oh but I forgot, Hervey knows the "Eskimo way". Whatever the hell that is.

Old
11-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Not sure the timing is right for Morris. His team just finished 0-8, with one of the worst performances in the history of that league. Outscored almost 4-1. Not a great resume to bring to the table right now.
Yikes, didn't know the Bears were historically awful. I'd have to assume the issue is recruitment (which would fall under Morris' job description as far as I know), but still. Yeah, hiring an 0-8 CIS coach is out of the question.

Old
11-04-2013, 11:44 PM
abootzky

Before the idea of Ed Hervey righting the Eskimos ship is completely dismissed due to a disastrous first season, an ill-advised contract extension for his head coach and a couple of questionable press conferences, let's take a brief look back in history.

The most successful GM this franchise has ever had was a guy named Norm Kimball. He took over in 1964- eight years before the EE had any sustained success. Surly and defensive, Kimball was never a media favorite but eventually success came, culminating in the fantastic 5 in a row Grey Cup run from 1978-82.

Am I saying that Ed Hervey should be given eight years on the off chance that history will repeat itself? Of course not. What I am saying is that Kimball proved that a GM can learn from his early mistakes and turn things around. Previously I called this head coach hire 'make-or-break' for this GM and I stand by that. This is going to need to be much quicker than an 8 year turnaround because justifiably disgusted Eskimos fans are voting with their feet in alarming numbers.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:54 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
So if he thought the team was good enough, clearly he knew coaching was a big problem. But instead of fixing that problem at any point in the season, he allowed it to continue hurting the club. And this is the guy we entrust to run the football team.

Oh but I forgot, Hervey knows the "Eskimo way". Whatever the hell that is.
more and more the "eskimo way" is resembling the Oilers way. More soft landings, more nepotism, more kindly letting a coach finish the season out. Most of us saw this as a disaster in the making before this season started. On the basis of last season.

Yet we had to flush one more season down the toilet so Reed could get canned in a friendly civil manner.

Old
11-05-2013, 12:01 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
The board sees things differently than we do. Hervey has had one season as GM. The board doesn't see that as enough time to evaluate him. As fans we disagree, but we don't make those decisions.

Hey, anyone wonder if Hervey might contact Campbell before the Stamps’ season ends. We haven’t had a tampering charge yet this season.
Thats all well and good but I thought we were discussing Rhodes.

One would have to think that the board has had enough time to evaluate him.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 12:08 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Excellent timing for Kavis. He can make his escape while all the torches and pitchforks are heading for Rexall Place instead of Commonwealth.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 12:39 AM
camboy

Quote:

Um, no. Bowman was on pace for a 1400 yard season had he played all 18 games. When healthy, he is one of the top 5 or 6 receivers in the league.

Agree on the RB's. We need to get better here for sure. O-line and secondary needs a complete overhaul. I'm especially concerned about the big men...not easy to rebuild an Oline in a single off season..it will take a miracle. The first overall pick hopefully can jump start the process...and hopefully there are a couple of free agents available.

It's gonna be an interesting off season for sure.

camboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 07:55 AM
AJGass4

I lost a little faith in Hervey with his comment suggesting that the team had the players to win. Yet week after week he saw this team piss away a chance to win a game with terrible play calling and what did he do? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Sorry Ed, that statement made me even angrier than I am watching an Oiler's game. It didn't take a Rocket Scientist to see that this team was being out coached game in and game out and I have no clue what you were expecting to happen.

AJGass4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 09:04 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Thats all well and good but I thought we were discussing Rhodes.

One would have to think that the board has had enough time to evaluate him.
We were. I was saying why Rhodes won't be fired.

Old
11-05-2013, 09:17 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Hamilton also found Tavoy Moore when Kavis erred and forgot to protect a guy they were high on. We haven't seen enough of the guy to know if he's great or a miss, but point is management loved the kid but messed up and Tillman et al scooped him up.
Moore hasn't done anything yet. Miles has been head and shoulders better for the Esks than Moore has been in Hamilton.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I lost a little faith in Hervey with his comment suggesting that the team had the players to win. Yet week after week he saw this team piss away a chance to win a game with terrible play calling and what did he do? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Sorry Ed, that statement made me even angrier than I am watching an Oiler's game. It didn't take a Rocket Scientist to see that this team was being out coached game in and game out and I have no clue what you were expecting to happen.
Most of us feel that the head coach should have been turfed at some point. My own take being before this season. I would've found a new head coach last winter. A year ago.

Trouble is the org felt different. But at some point in this season I believer Hervey determined there was going to be a change. But that nobody in the org felt that change should occur midway through the season. From the reads I get the org felt it would be more damaging to change head coaches midway through. I'm not sure how that could make matters worse but its what the org believes.

Reed leaked out some of the latest org philosophy when he stated this weekend that its assumed changes means that a team is getting closer to its goal. Is getting there.
He stated that changes is part of the noise that puts a team farther, not closer, to desired outcomes. Its probably the best point he's voiced all year. Actually a lot of the departing comments are solid.

This is probably a good man, heart in right place, but not a very good coach. I do find it interesting how much more sense Reed is suddenly making after being divested of pressure and duties. tbh I think he was overwhelmed in the role of headcoach much of the time. He stated that all the controversy and change didn't help. But he needed to slow that **** down and not have it get him off the game.

Old
11-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 50
Quote:

are you kidding? Bowman is an All-star receiver. if you think he is at best a 3rd or 4th option, you know nothing about football.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Somehow I missed this comment. Bowman is a tank of a receiver.. A quality second or first receiver. He'd have a damn good chance at most yds in CFL. I love throwing passes to a receiver like this as he gets every jump ball you throw at him then takes multiple players to bring him down.

His per game receiving stats are out of this world. You do know he only played half a dozen games this year right?

Bowman is awesome. If this guy is ever healthy for a year watch out.

Old
11-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Who has the ability to can Rhodes?

Seems like there is never ever any consequences for the guys who cause all this crap.
Hey come on. Vanilla Ice Rhodes needs more chances to continue to work his magic at bringing in quality acts to supplement the tremendous product he provides on the field. The self professed marketing guru now had Disney in his back pocket. Look for characters from Snow White and Cinderella as the new mascots next year. The 12,000 fans that will attend next years games should love that.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote