HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Prospect Stats and Discussion - Updated Jan 27

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2013, 01:00 PM
RisingSun
Registered Potato

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Chase, Moroz, and Khaira have been named to Team WHL for the Subway Super Series.
Really surprised Khaira got the nod considering he's been injured most of the season. He's been my favourite prospect along side with Nurse, both are some real grit and heart players.

Old
11-04-2013, 01:12 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I wonder if they'd consider playing Chase at RW and having the 3 together as a line.

Moroz - Khaira - Chase

That line would be an absolute handful at that level.

Average size: 6'2.3", 211lbs
Combined stat line: 28G-18A-46P in 42 games

11-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Shanahanigans

Nurse with 15 points in 15 games.

Old
11-04-2013, 01:48 PM
RisingSun
Registered Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I wonder if they'd consider playing Chase at RW and having the 3 together as a line.

Moroz - Khaira - Chase

That line would be an absolute handful at that level.

Average size: 6'2.3", 211lbs
Combined stat line: 28G-18A-46P in 42 games
Each of those kids still have about an inch each at max and a good 10 pounds left to grow. If all three reach their potential, the oilers could have one of the best, if not the best bottom 6 in the league, when grouped with guys like Yakimov etc.

Last edited by RisingSun: 11-04-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old
11-04-2013, 01:56 PM
40oz

It's interesting they only have one roster, usually they have 2 with some guys playing both games and others only playing one of the games.
Still, happy to see Khaira make it.

Old
11-04-2013, 02:10 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Chase, Moroz, and Khaira have been named to Team WHL for the Subway Super Series.
I hope all 3 of those players can make it to the NHL even as bottom 6 as those three all have good size.

Old
11-04-2013, 02:21 PM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Moroz and Chase make sense, but Khaira? If he had played, it would make sense, but isn't he still injured?

Old
11-04-2013, 02:24 PM
ohheyhemsky

Also, does anyone think that Chase has warranted an invite to the WJC camp?

Old
11-04-2013, 03:35 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Its not an Oilers only issue..

Its a huge step from junior to the AHL. You should be putting up big numbers in junior after your draft. That is an expectation. It doesn't make you a surefire prospect.

You only become interesting as a prospect once you show you can play in the AHL, imo.
Klefbom didn't come from junior though. He actually came from what could be argued a more competitive league in the SEL so it's not a big jump in competition.
I'd say that he's struggling with recovering fully from the injury and playing on the smaller ice as well as adapting to a new culture. It's a lot for him to overcome so early in the season.

Those who are saying that he's overrated because of a slow start in the AHL are being completely unfair. It's going to take time with him although i worry about the developmental system down there, it seems to have sewered a lot of promising careers.

Old
11-04-2013, 04:18 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
It really is quite alarming just how bad our goaltending prospects are doing

11-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
It really is quite alarming just how bad our goaltending prospects are doing
The Oilers just have no clue as an organization how goaltending works. I mean we've had our chances to grab a goaltender of the future in drafts and **** the bed every time. Cory Schneider was the consensus #2 ranked goalie in the 2004 draft, yet the Oilers thought they were smarter than everyone else and went for the non-consensus #4 ranked goalie in Dubnyk. Then in 2011, the Oilers had John Gibson sitting there for them on a silver platter, but they pass on him to exercise nepotism with Musil and draft a goalie that didn't even get an ELC. The only goaltender on this team worth a damn at any point in the past 10 years was Dwayne Roloson, and that was only for one playoff run.

Old
11-04-2013, 05:05 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
The Oilers just have no clue as an organization how goaltending works. I mean we've had our chances to grab a goaltender of the future in drafts and **** the bed every time. Cory Schneider was the consensus #2 ranked goalie in the 2004 draft, yet the Oilers thought they were smarter than everyone else and went for the non-consensus #4 ranked goalie in Dubnyk. Then in 2011, the Oilers had John Gibson sitting there for them on a silver platter, but they pass on him to exercise nepotism with Musil and draft a goalie that didn't even get an ELC. The only goaltender on this team worth a damn at any point in the past 10 years was Dwayne Roloson, and that was only for one playoff run.
Not that I'm defending our choices, but Dubnyk was ranked ahead of Schneider

Old
11-04-2013, 05:56 PM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
You're mixing that up. We did think we were smarter than everyone else and pass on the consensus #2 ranked goalie for Dubnyk, but that guy was Marek Schwarz. Schneider wasn't even considered a first rounder. Dubnyk was an absolutely tremendous pick, where the consensus guy was a bust and one of those times where the 'we're smarter than everyone else' actually turned out to be right.

Old
11-04-2013, 10:51 PM
misfit

Exactly. Schwarz was the clear-cut #2 in that draft, and many felt that he wasn't far behind Montoya. Dubnyk was also considered the #3 guy, but still a lock for the first round. Schneider was probably the 4th best goalie in the draft, but lots had Justin Peters ranked ahead of him at the time.

The Oilers also went with conventional wisdom in 2002 when the #2 ranked goalie that year fell because two other teams "reached" on the #3 and #4 goalies in Cam Ward and Hannu Toivonen (who I think was also behind Josh Harding at the time).

In 2009 they took the highly touted draft day faller Olivier Roy in the 5th round. Considered to be one of the steals of the draft because of where he was ranked going in. So far he's been a total flop.

I would have been in favour of taking Gibson, but I was also a big fan of Musil (and Jenner), so I wasn't upset about it at the time. I honestly would've been perfectly happy with any of those 3 as the pick, but Gibson is starting to look like the better of the 3 at the moment.

Old
11-04-2013, 11:11 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Exactly. Schwarz was the clear-cut #2 in that draft, and many felt that he wasn't far behind Montoya. Dubnyk was also considered the #3 guy, but still a lock for the first round. Schneider was probably the 4th best goalie in the draft, but lots had Justin Peters ranked ahead of him at the time.

The Oilers also went with conventional wisdom in 2002 when the #2 ranked goalie that year fell because two other teams "reached" on the #3 and #4 goalies in Cam Ward and Hannu Toivonen (who I think was also behind Josh Harding at the time).

In 2009 they took the highly touted draft day faller Olivier Roy in the 5th round. Considered to be one of the steals of the draft because of where he was ranked going in. So far he's been a total flop.

I would have been in favour of taking Gibson, but I was also a big fan of Musil (and Jenner), so I wasn't upset about it at the time. I honestly would've been perfectly happy with any of those 3 as the pick, but Gibson is starting to look like the better of the 3 at the moment.
I don't know... Jenner is in the NHL after all (I'm still annoyed about that pick. I like Musil, but I had Jenner going 20th to Phoenix. Couldn't believe he fell to us...)

Old
11-04-2013, 11:16 PM
misfit

Quote:
I don't know... Jenner is in the NHL after all (I'm still annoyed about that pick. I like Musil, but I had Jenner going 20th to Phoenix. Couldn't believe he fell to us...)
Yeah, the argument can definitely be made for Jenner. For me it was a coin flip between Jenner and Musil, but I think I liked Gibson more than most on this board at the time and had him miles ahead of the other goalies in the draft. Most seemed really against taking a goalie with a pick that high in the 2nd round, but I thought all 3 were 1st rounders.

Old
11-05-2013, 12:03 AM
Hockey Nightmare

No coin flips for me. I wanted Jenner. And recent events have proven me right. Ha!

Old
11-05-2013, 12:12 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
I wanted Jenner too. Man, this team would look drastically different If the Oilers grabbed who I wanted them to grab.

2007: Voracek, Cherepanov, Petrecki

-Sucks that Cherry died and Petrecki is still a fringe player. I'd still take Voracek over Gagner. I also had a soft spot for Couture but didn't think he's ever come back from his mono ala MAP.

2008. John Carlson

I liked the Eberle Pick but much like 2007, I wanted the bigger player.

2009. Magnus Paajarvi, Stefan Elliott

Obviously MPS was a huge disappointment. I liked his size and speed. I thought Elliott could be the next Mike Green.

2010: Tyler Seguin, Jon Merrill, Tyler Toffoli, Calle Jarnkrok

It kills me to say this, considering Hall is my favourite oiler, but I wanted the center. Probably a wash though.

2011: RNH and Klefbom, Boone Jenner

I got exactly who I wanted this year in the first round. I wanted Jenner though. Again, a big center is more valuable.

2012: Nail Yakupov, Matt Finn

Moroz is looking pretty good but Finn was one of my favourites.

2013: Nurse, Hagg

I'd still take Hagg over all the random prospects last year.

Voracek-Seguin-Yakupov
Jarnkrok-RNH-Jenner

Nurse-Carlson
Klefbom-Merrill
Finn-Hagg
Elliott

Old
11-05-2013, 01:56 AM
Toydarian

To go along with DousedInOil, my preferred picks (I didn't follow prospects before the 2009 draft):

2009 Magnus Paajarvi
I remember he had been ranked 5th overall and was stoked he was available at 10th. Going into the draft, I was hoping EDM was going to pick Kulikov but thought they were going to select Gelennie if given the opportunity.

2010 Taylor Hall
I really hoped EDM was going to select Hall. At 31st I wanted Petrovic or Jarnkrok. I was also intrigued with McFarland but with one of the lower 2nd rd picks.

2011 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
I was nervous EDM was going to go with Couturier and was really happy with the final result. Going into the draft, I was hoping Scheiffele or McNeil would be available, nevertheless I was pleased with the Kelfbom selection. I was SHOCKED the Oilers didn't pick Jenner at 31, he seemed like a great character guy and a perfect fit.

2012 Nail Yakupov
I wasn't expecting that the Oilers would win the draft lottery and had the mindset "If Yakupov is available, you HAVE to pick him, if not go with Murray." I was really hoping for Samuelsson or Subban at 32, but it became pretty clear neither were going to be available, when EDM came to make their pick, I wanted Thrower.

Old
11-05-2013, 10:00 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
or if they drafted Lucic in 06 and then Kulikov/Lehner in 09.

Old
11-05-2013, 10:47 AM
dyzfunctioned

I too wanted Jenner over Musil, but not really surprising we didn't pick Gibson.

Goalie development is so random - I mean out of current NHL starters, the only ones that are first round picks are Dubnyk, Luongo, Price, Rask, Ward, Fleury, Varlamov and Lehtonen? I might have missed one or two but the point stands.

Look at Frederik Andersen - drafted in the 7th round in the 2010 draft, went back into the draft and was drafted in the 3rd round and is now looking like a legit NHL goaltender.

But if we're looking at preferred picks over the years...

2009 - Was really happy with the MPS pick. In hindsight I probably would have preferred Kulikov but I thought MPS would be a stud. Liked the Lander pick but also really liked Tatar at the time.

2010 - Definitely wanted Hall and happy with how that pick has turned out. Also really liked the Marincin pick and still do. Martindale at the time looked really good so can't complain about that pick though Gudas would have been awesome. Honestly, I really liked these picks at the time and most of them still aren't bad.

2011 - Wanted RNH and was hoping Oleksiak would fall to us at 19th but was really happy Klefbom was around. Really wanted either Jenner or Victor Rask at the 31st pick and hated the Musil pick... still not happy with that one. Really liked the Perhonen pick at the time but man he went downhill fast.

2012 - Wanted Yakupov and that's who we picked but I hated the Moroz pick. When Finn was still on the board I thought we were crazy for not taking him. Wanted Bozon in the third but am happy with the Khaira pick so far.

2013 - I wanted us to take Nichuskin but I've been very happy with Nurse, we made the right pick there so far. I don't know why we traded down in this round as I would have loved to get Zykov, Hagg, Jarry, or Bowey but it's too early to see how this will play out. Liked the Russian picks though.

Last edited by dyzfunctioned: 11-05-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old
11-05-2013, 10:57 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

I think the board was almost unanimously pro-Jenner that year. Drafting Musil was purely about organizational need (with perhaps a pinch of nepotism thrown in for flavour ), whereas Jenner was in most opinions the clear BPA. We're seeing now why you should always go with BPA.

Old
11-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Nurse with another goal. Even strength.

Old
11-05-2013, 09:53 PM
rockinghockey

Nurse ekblAd would be very nice to have

Old
11-05-2013, 10:08 PM